2-Ingredient Toddler Pancakes

These pancakes are ridiculously easy to prepare.

healthy-toddler-pancakes

I call them “toddler” pancakes, because they are the only pancakes my toddler has ever known– and I plan to fool him with these for as long as I can! That being said, I actually enjoy these pancakes just as much as he does. I love that they are grain-free and nut-free (especially since so many “paleo” baked goods are loaded with nuts!), and they make an easy, nutrient-dense finger food that resembles traditional pancakes. They even taste good without maple syrup!

Believe it or not, these pancakes are made with just two ingredients: banana and eggs. When blended together, they make a smooth batter that is easily pan-fried into little pancakes. The key when making these pancakes is to keep them small– they’re not as thick and firm as traditional pancakes made with flour, so the smaller, the better, if you want to prevent them from breaking when flipped. They get nice and crispy edges, just like the traditional ones, and the banana offers plenty of natural sweetness, so maple syrup isn’t even necessary! (Unless you want to add it, anyway.)

I hope you enjoy these pancakes as much as we do. They aren’t going to “fool” anyone above the age of 5, but they make the perfect treat for those who are cutting back on flour and sugar, and for everyone following my Warm & Cozy Winter Detox program, too!

2-Ingredient Toddler Pancakes
Serves 1-2 (depending on age)

Inspired by Blogilates

1 ripe banana, with spots on the skin
2 whole eggs
Butter or coconut oil, for pan-frying
Ground cinnamon or maple syrup, for serving

2-ingredient-pancakes

whole30-pancakes

4.34 from 12 votes
2-Ingredient Toddler Pancakes
A quick and easy "pancake" made from just banana and eggs, for a naturally gluten-free, grain-free, and added-sugar-free treat.
Servings: 1 -2
Calories: 293 kcal
Author: Detoxinista.com
  • 1 ripe banana , with spots on the skin
  • 2 whole eggs
  • Butter or coconut oil , for pan-frying
  • Ground cinnamon or maple syrup , for serving
  1. Combine the banana and eggs in a blender, and blend until completely smooth. Melt the butter or coconut oil in a skillet over medium heat, and pour a small amount of batter into the hot skillet. Cook for 2 minutes, or until the edges begin to look cooked, then flip and cook another 1-2 minutes, until the pancake is golden on each side.
  2. Repeat with the remaining batter, making 6 to 8 small pancakes. Serve warm, with maple syrup if desired, or a simple sprinkling of cinnamon.

Notes:

I haven’t tried these pancakes with any other substitutions, so please be sure to leave a comment below if you try something different that works!

Reader Feedback: Do you have any other healthy “toddler” recipes to share?

74 thoughts on “2-Ingredient Toddler Pancakes

1. Tom @ Raise Your Garden

We’re just getting into the no flour pancake scene but it’s working for us too. We think they’re pretty good and our girls 2 and 4 seemed to be fooled as well. We usually substitute applesauce for oil and that seems to work! But we’re always experimenting too.

2. Kathleen Schell

I plan to try this recipe tomorrow. Do you think I can use frozen banana? I have a lot of organic frozen bananas saved to make smoothies. Thanks

I haven’t tried it with frozen banana, but I imagine it would work. Let us know if you try it!

2. Jenny

I’ve used frozen banana’s before, I prefer ripe bananas, but you can certainly use frozen bananas. I’ve also added in peanut butter before and they’re really yummy!!! 🙂

3. Brittany

I just tried this morning with frozen bananas and it works fine! I find they are very delicate though. Easy to break apart but very yummy!

3. Allison

I make these for our family, but add a few things to give them more substance. They are really good with flax meal, buckwheat flour, or hemp seeds. I also add vanilla and cinnamon to the batter. One time we were out of banana so I used zucchini, and they turned out great!

1. sophie

I want to try that as I cannot have bananas.
      How do you make these with zucchini?
      Do you just chop ONE up and blend it with two eggs?
      I would have though it’d be too watery…
      Thanks!

1. Allison

I don’t remember the exact amounts….honestly every time I make these I just throw stuff in the blender and it seems to work! I’d start with one medium zucchini and two eggs…..if it needs more liquid add some milk of choice or another egg. If it is too watery try adding some flaxmeal or oatmeal or something to soak it up.

4. Jo

This is the only recipe i know how to make for pancakes. Started making it a few years back. Its in the book “breaking the vicious cycle” for scder’s. I usually put shredded coconut and macadamias on top. It tastes very sweet to me!

I was wondering where it originated from! I’ve seen it floating around the internet for a couple of years, but it makes sense that it came from SCD– some of my favorites are from that book! They taste very sweet to me, too. Love them!

5. Sandy

My kids loves these. I also usually add hemp seeds and a tablespoon or so of some type of gluten free flour, usually chickpea, buckwheat or oat. and cinnamon.

I also have tried blending them both with a vitamix and just by hand with a fork and I think the fork smash texture seems to produce fluffier pancakes.

6. Carly

I make these all the time! I usually add 1-2TBSP of chia seeds (soak the chia seeds first in coconut or almond milk). It makes it a more pancake like consistency and adds fiber and omega 3 – also tastes great.

1. sophie

Care to share your exact recipe…i.e. 1 banana + 2 eggs + 1 T chia seeds…soaked in how much milk? Then, blended together?

Thanks!

1. Carly

@Sophie – Sure! I just perfected mine last weekend (after many trial & errors with this).
        Ingredients: 1 ripe banana, 2 eggs. Mash by hand in bowl (better then using blender). Add a big dash of cinnamon for flavor. In a separate bowl, soak 1 Tablespoon of organic black chia seeds in about 1/4 cup of almond or coconut milk. Basically just enough milk to cover the chia seeds so that that can soak. I eye’d it.

Once the chia seeds have had some time to soak (minimum 5 minutes, but the longer the better) then add them to the banana and egg mix. Now you are ready to fry! (additional add in before frying: raw cacao powder, but I liked the taste better without the cacao).

Fry in a heated pan with coconut oil or butter for additional yummy flavour. They cook quickly, and need to be flipped within a couple min on each side. Serve them with maple syrup and more butter and they are sooo yummy!!! Enjoy 🙂

1. Carly

Woops totally forgot one important ingredient that made these really good – 2TBLSP of all-purpose gluten free flour from trader joes!

1. Carly

I don’t have a baby, but I am a picky eater (as is my brother who I cooked this for) and we both love them!!!

7. Kelly

I have made these a few times when I saw them on Blogilates, but I just don’t like it , it just tastes eggy and has that eggy texture. I so badly wanted to love these, so quick and simple to make, just 2 ingredients, GF sounds like a dream come true. They are just not for me. My kids didn’t like it either. :-(.

1. Linda C

To Kelly, try making it with one egg instead of two. The pancakes are thinner and more crepe-like (so make them smaller), but quite tasty and sweet. We always use coconut oil to cook them in, and then spread almond butter on them – yum!

2. AJ

I didnt care much for them either. They tasted rubbery, eggy and the banana seemed to make them blacken quickly. I tried many different things and created one me & my picky toddler love. Ground/blended cashews, eggs, sweet potato and cinnamon. Topped with honey or coconut syrup when done. Awesome!

I think I saw that someone on Instagram made them with “chia eggs.” I haven’t tried them myself, though, so I can’t say for sure if that will work! Please let us know if you do try it.

1. Rachel M

Kelly, did you try this with an egg substitute? Curious if it works out somehow without the egg! I’d love a successful vegan friendly recipe, as well 🙂

8. Niki

These looks so simple and yummy! Too bad they have egg. My son loves pancakes but has an egg allergy. We usually just take an original pancake recipe and eliminate the egg.

9. Angela

I really like these but find they turn even better with plantains instead of bananas. They aren’t as sweet but have a much more pancake texture to them and can make them bigger. Using half banana and half plantain work great as well.

10. HS

Tried these today but couldn’t get them to set up. The “pancake” was dark as night by the time I gave up and it was just a wet mess that fell apart instantly. 2 eggs 1 banana in the vitamix and my batter was the consistancy of beaten eggs. To much blending maybe? Any suggestions? I can certainly see how the taste would appeal to young children. They were good just looked awful and were real wet.

1. Millie

Yes I had the same problem. They were very mushy and easily fell apart. I am going to try to add some pancake mix but just a little so that the recipe is mostly eggs and banana. My child promises to eat her eggs if I serve the pancakes right next to them but then she just eats the pancakes and leaves the egg alone. I was going to try and serve these pancakes to her but she will definitely know something is up.

2. Britney

Exactly the same for me. Didn’t set up when cooking, impossible to flip, bottoms almost burned and still not flipping.

3. Eftihia

I had the same problem and I found the solution just a while ago when I made these today. You have to be generous with the oil. What I mean is, pour about a tablespoon oil on the pan, move the pan around to spread it, and then pour the pancake mixture. This will set them up.
      Do not spread the oil with a kitchen towel, as I used to do, which of course reduces the amount of oil in the pan (which is good), but prevents the pancakes from frying a bit and eventually setting up.
      Alternatively, for a less oily option, just make scrambled eggs out of the mixture. It tastes just as nice.
      *Note: I used olive oil. I’m Greek and have plenty olive oil and coconut oil is too expensive for me.
      Hope this helps 🙂

11. Carrie

I make these for breakfast a lot but add 3 Tbsp ground golden flax meal to the batter. After pouring on the griddle, I add frozen blueberries and eat with organic fruit spread or applesauce. You can also use almond flour or almond meal with the same result. Instead of banana, try pumpkin purée adding pumpkin pie spice and some maple syrup for sweetening. (I add blueberries to this too)

12. Pingback: Friday Five and Favorites - Delights and Delectables

13. Kim

I love doing this! When you add about a 1/4 cup of ground flax seed and 1 tsp of baking powder, they puff-up very nice! As someone mentioned above, this allows you to add fruit extras really easily. Also, the vegan version is mashing banana in a bowl with the flaxseed and adding water by sight…. you can then add baking powder, any extras, even gluten-free oats or flour! My 5 & 6 year olds still prefer these over any other pancake recipe!

14. Pam C

I made these this morning for my fussy granddaughter. I used frozen bananas and some coconut flour. She loved them. My husband prefers the ones made with flour, but didn’t think they were too bad. I love the idea of a healthy alternative to a usually unhealthy breakfast. Thanks! Next time I hope to have some ripe bananas and will try fork blending them. I used the vitamix.

15. Jodi

I made these today and loved them! I used 1 banana, 1 egg, olive oil, a handful of blueberries, nuts and 1/2 of an avocado. So yummy!

16. Lizzie

I just made these and I do agree that these are perfect for toddlers, but I find the taste of the banana much too strong and so will me children (older at 8 and 11). I would like to try again but by adding flour, any suggestions and the quantity please?

17. Pingback: 2 Ingredients Pancakes | Breathe Eat Love

18. Karen

I just made these and they are adorable! Like little silver dollar crepelettes but so easy and very tasty. I think next time I’ll add a bit of salt but otherwise, this is definitely a keeper!

19. Kristina Marie

These are so good! Today I fried them up in coconut oil and stacked them up with some peanut butter between each layer. They tasted like warm peanut butter banana cake.

20. suzie

I’m so sad, these look so awesome, but we can’t eat eggs at our house so I tried them with flax and chia egg and both were total failures! 🙁 If anyone has been successful I’d love to hear the secret!!!!

21. Pingback: 3-Ingredient “Pancakes” | Chronicles Von Quandt

22. kerry

I threw some coconut flour into the mix and then topped with strawberries. What a mistake! I couldn’t make the following bathches fast enough. The finished pancakes never made it to the table.

23. Pingback: Sansationals

24. Emily

I’m excited to try these for our after nap snack today.
    I have made them with pumpkin/squash purée and we love them, though I think I added about 1/2 tsp baking soda to make them fluff a little more and I also needed a pinch of sea salt and sometimes cinnamon or cardamom in the batter instead of in top.

25. Pingback: Eating well, staying healthy and keeping fit at University | University Solved

26. Alex

OMG!!! My son finally ate eggs and didn’t even know it!! I’m so thrilled to have come across this recipe my picky 2 1/2 year old hasn’t eaten eggs since he was about 12 months old. He’s become extremely picky since being in a day home. Now I am lucky enough to stay at home with him and I’m trying so hard to get him to eat everything again. He loves fruit, yogurt and other healthy snack items but when it comes to meals he wants pancakes with flour and frozen waffles and wont eat any meat or fish unless it’s breaded. So thank you for putting up this recipe at least I have concurred breakfast. I have recently gone Paleo and I’m slowing working my family into it. My husband is not even noticing the lack of breads and processed foods that are suddenly missing which is awesome but it’s my little guy that I’m having trouble with. I just want to make sure he’s healthy.

Thanks again for this wonderful breakfast rut saving recipe.

27. Angie

I trued these this morning, I had a hard time flipping them. I couldn’t flip them without them falling apart. I was wondering what the trick was?

The trick to flipping them is to make them small– like a silver dollar pancake– and don’t make the pan too hot; you want them to cook slowly so that the top of the pancake isn’t too runny when you flip them!

28. Noemi

I heard about the banana egg pancakes a while ago, but was skeptical about them. I love bananas–the idea just sounded like…another pinterest fail 🙂 After making them today, i am SOLD! I love these much better than regular pancakes! The banana flavor comes through really well, and the egg flavor isn’t overwhelming. They are not fluffy like a pancake; they’re more like a crepe, but they are simply wonderful. They have a natural sweetness to them, and are very filling.

29. Penny

I love your recipes, I love your blog and I love your cookbook, but I hate this recipe! I decided to try it again last night because I forgot that I had already made it once and it makes me want to swear off of gluten free pancakes from scratch! After two of the pancakes sticking and burning hopelessly, I decided to try the modifications that are in your cookbook. They still stuck and burned every time. Never again, but that’s ok because I still have tons of other options thanks to you <3

You should try the Banana Pancakes in the cookbook! They are inspired by this recipe, but turn out WAY better. 😉

1. Penny

I added the ingredients for the recipe from the cookbook after two of these flopped, and they still didn’t turn out. I think we may just stick to XOXO Baking Co boxed mix for now, since those have ok ingredients and it would only be once a week at the most.

30. Bree

These are a hit in our house! I add cinnamon & vanilla. They are even better with blueberries! My husband & I love them just as much as our toddler.

31. Jnjf

I made these. I just coulent stomach them! Banana was too strong. Maybe I’ll try half a banana and add some kind of rice flour.

32. Kat Woronowicz Johnson

Delicious! Made these since I had a very ripe banana I didn’t want to waste. Tastes more like a tiny omelette than a pancake. Will take extras along as snacks today. I didn’t have an issue with flipping. I just used butter. Sweet, no need for maple syrup.