Healthy Snickerdoodle Snack Bites

We have a new favorite snack in our house. Or, “nack” as my son likes to call them.

Healthy-Snickerdoodle-Snacks

These whole food snacks are the perfect thing to have on hand when you’re craving a holiday cookie, but don’t actually want to eat a holiday cookie… and deal with all the consequences that may come with it. (Hello, 3pm slump.)

A friend of mine asked me to make these to help her avoid buying the entire stock of Snickerdoodle Larabars. They’re her favorite flavor, but since they’re only available for a limited time, we needed to come up with a knock-off to enjoy them year round. Using the Larabar ingredient label as my guide, I played around with the ratio until we came up with a a delicious Snickerdoodle flavored dough. It’s one of my new favorites!

Because these snacks are made from whole food ingredients– with no added sugar or oil– they are a holiday treat I’m happy to enjoy anytime. (Along with my son.) I hope they help get you through the holiday season without too many sugar crashes, too!

Snickerdoodle Snack Bites (Paleo, Vegan)
Makes about 20 pieces

1 cup whole raw cashews
1/2 cup raw almonds
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
10 ounces Medjool dates, pitted (about 1 1/4 cup, tightly packed)
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

In the bowl of a large food processor fitted with an “S” blade, grind the cashews, almonds, cinnamon and salt until finely ground. Add in the pitted dates and vanilla and process again until the dough becomes very sticky. (Mine started to become a big ball in the food processor.)

Healthy-Snickerdoodle-recipe

Use a tablespoon to scoop the dough and roll it between your hands to make ball shapes. Arrange the balls on a plate or baking sheet lined with parchment paper, then place them in the fridge or freezer to set for one hour.

larabar-knock-off

4.96 from 21 votes
Snickerdoodle Snack Bites
Prep Time
10 mins
Total Time
10 mins

A healthy holiday treat that has no added sugar or oil!
Course: Dessert, Snack
Servings: 20
Calories: 96 kcal
Author: Detoxinista.com
  • 1 cup whole raw cashews
  • 1/2 cup raw almonds
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
  • 10 ounces Medjool dates , pitted (about 1 1/4 cup, tightly packed)
  • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
  1. In the bowl of a large food processor fitted with an "S" blade, grind the cashews, almonds, cinnamon and salt until finely ground. Add in the pitted dates and vanilla and process again until the dough becomes very sticky. (Mine started to become a big ball in the food processor.)
  2. Use a tablespoon to scoop the dough and roll it between your hands to make ball shapes. Arrange the balls on a plate or baking sheet lined with parchment paper, then place them in the fridge or freezer to set for one hour. Once the balls have firmed up a bit, store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two weeks.
Recipe Notes

Alternatively, you can press this dough into a loaf pan lined with parchment paper and cut it into bars, for a more authentic "Larabar."

*For those of you participating in the Warm & Cozy Winter Detox, this dessert is 100% detox-approved. I hope you enjoy it!

Reader Feedback: What’s your favorite Larabar flavor? Do you have a favorite healthy holiday treat?

57 thoughts on “Healthy Snickerdoodle Snack Bites

1. Laura ~ Raise Your Garden

Is it just me, or is it all or nothing with oil and sugar. I feel like either you eat lots of cookies or you don’t ever touch the stuff. Because once you put sugar in your mouth, you are addicted! I’ve read that sugar is just as addicting as drugs for some people! But I love this NACK for the 3 o’clock slump ~ which inevitably hits me each day. As tempting as it is to reach for a cookie, that just makes life worse. Thanks for these. Snickerdoodles are the best. And being hyperglycemic, the cinnamon helps regulate my blood sugar.

2. Maegen

WOW these look delicious!!!! Thank you SO much. I look forward to enjoying these, once I make the pumpkin ball dessert you put up a couple weeks ago (that’ll be my Thabksgiving treat and these will be my Christmas treat). Thanks again 🙂

3. Sherrie

These sound delicious and simple to make — thank you for all the great, good for you recipes! Does anyone know of the best place to purchase nuts (price and quality)?

4. Jennifer

Do you think they would be good without the cinnamon, or do you think there is a substitute spice like cardamom? (I am allergic to cinnamon.)

Yes, I’m sure they’d be delicious without the cinnamon, too. Feel free to add in any other spices you like!

2. Sandy

I’ve used omther recipes that add cocoa powder. You can throw in anything and it tastes good! Coconut, cranberrys, etc.

5. Kelly

These are SO GOOD! I’m pretty sure half the batch was gone before I rolled them into balls. I highly recommend these. Thank you for another great recipe!

6. Lesley

Is there anything I can use instead of nuts ? I am on a protein restricted diet due to a metabolic disorder and cannot have any nuts at all ? Could I use ground porridge oats or psyllium husks or anything lower protein ? I would love a healthy treat for Xmas

7. Kate

Oh my word, these are delicious! Thank you so much for this fabulous recipe and for the extra sugar I avoided this afternoon!

8. kathy

These look delish!! Can’t wait to try them. Any nut free suggestions? I’m thinking that 1 1/2 cups of sunflower seeds is going to be very bitter and I can’t send a NACK with nuts to my daughter’s school or the gym where she trains (she’s a budding gymnast training 20+ hours per week so snacks that pack a healthy tasty punch are super important). Thx

9. Niki

Just made these treats and they are delicious. My consistency was a little off but I think it was because I didn’t pack my dates in the measuring cup, so make sure you do! Thanks for another great recipe!

1. Sarah

Agreed! Delicious but I’m not sure 1/4 cup is right date quantity. It looks like more in the picture dumped out too? Either way delicious and can’t wait to share with friends!!

Perhaps I should change the numbers to a decimal, it’s 1 1/4 cups, or 1.25 cups, not just 1/4 cup!

1. Sarah

Ahhh makes more sense now why the consistency was off. I threw in more but not quite 1 1/4 cup. Still great but imagine even better with more dates!! Thanks for the update!

10. Milissa

These look delicious and I can’t wait to try them. I made the pumpkin energy bites last weekend and they turned out really great. My husband and I both love pecan pie during the holiday season but just saying those words spikes my blood sugar and puts pounds on, so I recently created a layered pecan pie granola bar that is crazy good. I have my own blog site in the works and the recipe for them will be one of the first I share. No added sugar and they really taste like pecan pie!

1. Kristen

Milissa – are you willing to share the recipe for your pecan pie granola bars? If so, my email address is [email protected] (I’m very interested!!)

1. Milissa

Kristen,

Thanks so much for your request. It really made my day. This blog and one other I frequent have inspired me a lot and made me realize my creativity is valuable, which is why I will launch my own food blog soon, hopefully pre-Christmas but definitely by the first of the year. I would be thrilled to share this recipe ahead of the launch but have one tiny problem…I really winged it. I tend to do that with first attempts but I do plan on making another batch very soon and being diligent with recording the ingredients and measurements. I will hold on to your email address and contact you as soon as I have the perfect version. Thanks again! I really appreciate it!

11. Victoria

Hi Megan, I just bought Everyday Detox and am enjoying trying the recipes. The Hemp Seed Ranch is so delicious-I can’t believe it’s dairy free! How long do you recommend to keep in the fridge?

12. Amy

Absolutely making these this weekend! I don’t have almonds at home but I do have walnuts. I’m gonna try subbing 🙂 I LOVE the use of dates. I’m guilty of being addicted to sugar and dates are such a healthy alternative to regular white stuff. Thank you!!!

13. Chantel

I grew up eating snickerdoodles as a kid and these are amazing! I made them a little smaller (I think I counted 28) and dusted them in a little cinnamon, organic maple sugar and some pink Himalayan salt – perfection! Thanks!

14. Gia

These were absolutely delicious- hit the Snickerdoodle spot! Apples look absolutely amazing this time of year and are everywhere- just gorgeous looking! Please post some recipes using them!!!???

15. Amanda

These are absolutely delicious!! Thanks for giving me a detox friendly sweet….I have a huge sweet tooth. My home economics teacher used to get me out of math class to make my famous snickerdoodles 🙂

16. Josie

My daughter attends a school with a no-nuts policy. What types of substitutes would you recommend for the nuts in this recipe?

Thanks!

17. Stella Soon

Used my Vitamix for this since I don’t have a food processor. It was a bit tricky since the surface area is smaller but they turned out so good. I had to blot off the natural oils from the nuts as it was too much. This is my favorite treat! Thank you so much for sharing this recipe.

18. Jamie H

These are ridiculous…ridiculously good! This is the second time to make them – in a week. They definitely help me get through the yearning for a treat. And my husband even asked for them over and over again. So, thank you!

19. Tasnim

So happy to have received your email today, i was getting a bit worried as i had not received any emails from you for some time! These looks so delicious, cant wait to try them with my family and colleagues x

Probably, but they are more bitter than cashews so you might need to adjust the flavor a bit! Just taste as you go. 🙂

20. Ali

Bought the ingredients on my way home tonight, and just realized that I got raw walnuts instead of cashews! Will they work as a substitution?

1. Juanita

I made them in a Vitamix. Dates are very taxing and expect it to overheat many times. After several rounds of stopping and starting I got the consistency I needed. I soaked my dates first so they were softer. Maybe next time I will add them more slowly too.

21. Laura T

I made this using completely wrong measurements and it was still a hit at Thankgiving. Thanks for another great recipe!

22. Randi

These are incredible. My three year old daughter asks for them on a daily basis. She will stack three into a snowman… and eat them all. A batch lasts us one day, MAYBE two. So very delicious!! Not to mention your cookbook is a daily staple around here as well. We are a family of six with four kids, five and under. The chocolate chip cookies and homestyle sweet potato fries are frequently requested as well! Thank you!!

23. Monique

Thank you! That’s also my favorite flavor, and I’m so glad to have found a good recipe so I can make them year round.

24. Carissa

I laughed when I read they can last in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. These never make it more than 3 days in our house, they are that delicious! Thank you so much for this amazing snack. I feel like I’m eating something I shouldn’t be,but without any of the full and laggy feelings of course 😉

25. Brittany

Just made these and they are wonderful! Very helpful on my second whole30. My biggest weakness is sweets and these are damn good!

26. Juanita

These are surprisingly yummy for the simple ingredients. I may try rolling these in crushed cashews the next time so they are less sticky to eat.

27. Cassandra

I made these today and they are delicious! Can’t believe how easy to make, and all natural ingredients. I only added some cacao powder to make it more chocolate-y. Awesome recipe, tastes like caramels! Thank you!

28. S. Smith

I made these this past weekend. We found them to be very sweet, too sweet for us, so before we formed them into balls we made some adjustments. We added some cocoa powder and some whole gluten-free oats. Then we flattened them into cookies. My 9 year old daughter LOVES them!! Thank you so much. We will make this on a regular basis for sure!

29. Sarah

Do you think these would keep ( u nrefrigerated) for a week or two if I vacuum sealed them? Looking for high calorie snacks for a long hike.

30. kathy

just made these – OMG!!! they’re super easy to make. and delicious!!
    appreciate that there are few ingredients.
    this recipe is a keeper!

31. Erica

These are delicious and so easy to make. Mine were a little too dry so I added a tablespoon of pumpkin. Love your website!

32. Renee

I made these and they are great. I then made another batch, but with a heaping tablespoon of cacao powder, 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut and 1 tsp of the vanilla (everything else the same). Very delicious.