Instant Pot Make-Ahead Detox Quinoa Breakfast Bowls

detox-breakfast-bowl

If you can’t tell, the Instant Pot has become one of my favorite kitchen helpers. I love how I can toss a few ingredients inside, seal the lid, and walk away, knowing that I’ll come back to a perfectly cooked dish. In the case of these Make-Ahead Detox Quinoa Breakfast Bowls, the quinoa doesn’t necessarily cook any faster than if you were to cook it on the stovetop, but the preparation is a breeze!

What sets this “breakfast quinoa” apart from a big batch that I’d normally make over the weekend (to use for stir-fries or lunch bowls) is that it’s soaked ahead of time, to help remove any bitterness, then it’s cooked with coconut milk for a rich and creamy flavor, along with a touch of cinnamon and pure maple syrup.  I’ll admit that I’m guilty of NOT soaking my quinoa when I’m rushed to make something savory, but with the milder flavor of these breakfast bowls, you’ll want to soak your quinoa first for best results.

Naturally, you can tweak this recipe to suit your needs. It’s more of a general outline for making an oh-so-comforting porridge that happens to be a complete source of plant-based protein. It should help keep you full and satisfied for hours! If you want this recipe to be lower in fat, swap the coconut milk for almond milk or water. If you’d like to swap the maple syrup for stevia, or omit the sweetener entirely, be my guest. (Though you might already know why I stopped using stevia myself.) And by all means, please use as much fresh fruit and non-dairy milk on top as you like! I got a little crazy with adding almond milk to mine this week, to the point that it reminded me of eating traditional cereal.

quinoa-breakfast-bowl

This recipe makes a big batch for the week, so you can store it as single servings in the fridge for a quick breakfast on-the-go. Pack it up for work or school, along with some fresh fruit to put on top, or eat it at home as a quick no-fuss breakfast with almond milk as a healthier cereal replacement. I actually prefer eating this porridge cold with almond milk, even when it’s cold outside, but you’re welcome to warm it up if you like. The contrast of textures and flavors keep it interesting, and makes a nice change from smoothies or eggs for breakfast. I hope you’ll enjoy it, too!

Instant Pot Make-Ahead Detox Quinoa Breakfast Bowls
Serves: 6

An easy make-ahead breakfast that is loaded with plant-based protein. The perfect alternative to store-bought breakfast cereal.
Quinoa:
  • 1½ cups quinoa, soaked in water at least 1 hour
  • 1 (15 ounce) can coconut milk, or milk of choice
  • 1½ cups water
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • ¼ cup pure maple syrup
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
Optional toppings:
  • Fresh fruit
  • Coconut flakes
  • Hemp hearts
  • Non-dairy milk
  1. Drain the soaked quinoa and rinse well. Place the quinoa in the bowl of your Instant Pot, along with the coconut milk, water, cinnamon, maple syrup, vanilla and salt. Seal the lid with the vent shut, and press the button for the "rice" setting. (Low pressure for 12 minutes.)
  2. Allow the pressure to naturally release, about 10 minutes, then open the vent at the top and remove the lid. Divide the quinoa into 6 individual containers with lids (about 1 cup of quinoa per container), and store them in the fridge until ready to serve. (They should keep well for one week.)
  3. When you're ready to eat breakfast, top one serving with non-dairy milk, fresh fruit, coconut flakes, hemp hearts, and any other toppings you like.

detox-quinoa-bowlDon’t have an Instant Pot? You can make this on the stove, too! Simply bring all of the quinoa ingredients to a boil over high heat, then lower the heat and cover to cook until the quinoa is tender and the liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes.

Reader Feedback: Do you have another favorite make-ahead breakfast?

26 thoughts on “Instant Pot Make-Ahead Detox Quinoa Breakfast Bowls

1. Andrea

How do you do the draining of the quinoa? When I’ve tried to soak my quinoa any kind of save our use either allows the seeds to go through or gets covered in the quinoa seeds which are then Wasted because I can’t get them out without running water through which then of course fill them with water and they have to be drained again and the process continues. So I have stop soaking my quinoa. I’d love to hear how you or other people solve this problem or avoid it altogether if you don’t know what I’m talking about .

1. Andrea

I’ve tried that but the inside gets coated with lots of the quinoa seeds so I end up wasting a lot. How do you get them all out?

1. Erin

I agree! I don’t have an elegant way of getting them out. I use whatever the cooking liquid is to awkwardly pour it over the mesh strainer to get the majority of the seeds into the pot.

2. Mia

I am SO excited you are adding the Instant Pot recipes to your blog! Are there some IP recipes in the new cookbook??

Fellow IP lover….. LOL

3. Beth

Good morning. I’m making this recipe and when I push rice, it’s default is low pressure. I tried pushing the adjust button and it would let me change the pressure. Should I just use the Manuel button for 12 minutes? Thank you.

4. MD

I do not have an instant pot. Do you make (cook) the quinoa first and then add the liquid ingredients to a make this dish? thanks for clarifying

5. Beth

I made this for breakfast today. Followed recipe with the exception that I soaked the quinoa overnight with 2T of kefir. So fabulous. Have 5 jars for breakfast this week. Thanks.

6. Rachel

I usually cook my quinoa in a rice cooker, and it works great. I also used my rice cooker for this recipe and there were no issues. I usually don’t rinse the quinoa since it gets caught in the mesh strainer (the quinoa I buy is no rinsing necessary). But I did soak and rinse it in this recipe. After soaking, I stirred the quinoa so it all settles to the bottom, and carefully dumped out the water. You’ll loose some quinoa, but not much. Add all the ingredients in the rice cooker and cook. Thanks for the recipe Megan! It taste good! Can’t wait to eat it cold tomorrow for breakfast with some almond milk and berries!

7. Denise

I have an instant and pot made this over the weekend! It’s delicious! I used Trader Joe’s frozen organic quinoa (because it’s all I had) but I stopped the instant pot before 12 min because TJs frozen quinoa is already cooked.

I didn’t think I would like this because I’m not crazy about quinoa in general but this was delicious and filling! Thanks so much!

8. sherie

I don’t have an instant pot so I made the recipe on the stovetop. I wasn’t sure if I would like it so I made half the recipe and I have been eating it all week for breakfast. This is so delicious! It reminds me of when I used to eat cream of wheat with brown sugar. I usually top it with fresh blueberries, coconut flakes, and sometimes some chopped walnuts and a little bit of almond milk. I will definitely be making this again. Thank you for sharing!

9. Daryl

I made this a week ago and it was absolutely delightful! I added fresh blueberries and everyone at work was very jealous of my incredibly healthy breakfast that smelled like heaven. I was thinking next time I might add some fresh ginger to give it a little kick. Absolutely thrilled to add this into my rotation. Thanks for the recipe, and super excited that your new cookbook should be waiting for me when I get home from work! Thanks Megan!

10. Jessica

Looks incredible! I have missed oatmeal/cereal with fresh fruit in my pursuit of better digestion and to heal leaky gut. I have your cookbooks and noticed you also suggest not combining grains with fruit. Is soaked quinoa an exception? I’d love to know your thoughts! I’m pregnant and fresh fruit is my constant craving! I’m eating it in between meals, but I’d love to have this in the mornings instead of only smoothies 🙂

11. Wendy Montgomery

Is canned coconut different from cartons of
    Coconut milk, sold near almond & soymilk?

I bought a can to make this, but use cartons of
    Coconut milk daily with cereal.
    Thank you for your help, can’t wait to try this
    Recipe.

12. mary m young

Per your instructions I soaked the quinoa for an hour. The water was merky. What to use a
    as a strainer? I have a fine mesh yogurt strainer that sits in a plastic box. Let it soak in that and
    when it was done I just pulled it out and proceeded. Seeds came out very nicely. Looked up on
    eBay and the prices were all over the place. Made it up and placed the cereal in pint mason jars
    and sealed them with my seal a meal device. Loved the cereal. Added a hand full of chopped walnuts
    and some flavored coffee creamer. My new best friend for breakfast. Thank you, Megan.

13. Lika

Great idea. Have you ever tried to use the timer in order to have the quinoa cooked while you are still sleeping but to have it ready and still warm for breakfast? I have just got my Istant Pot yesterday. So I am still pretty excited about it.