This Sweet Potato Smoothie is a healthy breakfast option, made with cooked sweet potatoes and anti-inflammatory turmeric and ginger. It tastes like pumpkin pie in a glass!
Why Sweet Potato in a Smoothie?
After testing so many Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes, my fridge has been filled with leftovers! Cooked sweet potato adds a silky creaminess to final smoothie, plus a touch of naturally sweet flavor, so you don’t need as much fruit or other sweetener to get a pie-like flavor.
Benefits of Sweet Potatoes
Adding sweet potato to your smoothie adds extra nutrition to your morning! Here are some of my favorite things about them.
- They’re loaded with beta-carotene, an antioxidant that is thought to promote eye health.
- They may help boost immunity, thanks to that beta-carotene being converted to Vitamin A, which is critical to a healthy immune system.
- They contain both soluble and insoluble fiber. Fiber-rich diets may help to lower risk of colon cancer and constipation, and may also help to promote overall gut health.
What I especially love about cooked sweet potato is that it blends easily into a smoothie, even if you don’t have a high-speed blender. My children can’t even tell if I add a bit to my go-to smoothie recipe for kids.
How To Make a Sweet Potato Smoothie
I tend to make this smoothie when I already have some leftover baked sweet potato on hand. If you don’t have any, you can use a canned version (sweet potato or pumpkin both work!), or simply bake a sweet potato until very tender.
Once you have the sweet potato ready, measure out a half cup of the cooked flesh (I just use the middle; not the skin). Blend it with your favorite milk, like homemade almond milk, fresh ginger, turmeric, cinnamon, and a couple of pitted dates for sweetness. The dates make it taste like a holiday pie, but I’ve also made this smoothie with a frozen banana instead, if you’d prefer to go that route.
Sweet Potato Smoothie
- 1/2 cup cooked sweet potato , tightly packed
- 1 cup almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 2 to 3 Medjool dates , pitted
- 1/2 inch knob of fresh ginger (or 1/4 teaspoon dried ginger)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon hemp hearts (optional; for added protein)
- ice , as needed to thicken
- In a blender, combine the sweet potato, milk, 2 dates, ginger, turmeric, cinnamon, and hemp hearts, if using. Blend until very smooth.
- Taste the mixture, then blend in another date if more sweetness is desired. Once smooth, add in a heaping cup of ice cubes and blend until they are totally broken down. You can add more ice if you'd like a thicker shake, but keep in mind that more ice will dilute the overall flavor.
- Serve chilled right away.
Per Serving: Calories: 280, Fat: 6g, Carbohydrates: 51, Fiber: 5g, Protein: 7g
- If you’d prefer to skip the dates, feel free to use any other sweetener you like. I’ve made this smoothie with a frozen banana instead, and with a splash of orange juice, and it’s hard to go wrong. (However, using the dates is my favorite version by far.)
As always, if you make any modifications to this recipe, please leave a comment below letting us know what you tried! We can all benefit from your experience.
Reader Feedback: Have you tried adding sweet potato to your smoothies before? Let me know how else you use them in the comments below!
Questions and Reviews
This really does taste like pie!! So good and refreshing.
I just made a double batch of this to share with my husband, and he told me I can make this again anytime! It’s delicious.
This smoothie is delicious! It does take like pie and so full of anti-inflammatory ingredients! Another winner!
I made this to drink after a workout today and it was simultaneously refreshing and comforting! I cooked two sweet potatoes last night in the IP so I’ll definitely make again for breakfasts this week. Question on the nutrition info — does that include the added hemp hearts?
Tastes just like sweet potato pie
Added protein powder, absolutely delicious. Aldi’s now sells squeeze bottle ginger to make this easier.
I never rate anything, but this is the best smoothie ever!!!
Oh my this is fantastic!!! I tested it out today to see if I wanted it for breakfast tomorrow, I definitely will be drinking this a few times a week!!! Thankyou great recipe!
Wow, this was delicious!! I have to admit, it was hard to get past the thought of drinking a sweet potato, but I’m so glad I did. This tasted just like pie! I’m so thankful for this delicious and healthy way to use up some of my cooked sweet potatoes. I will be making this again for sure. Thanks for another great recipe!
Amazing!!! My favorite smoothie!
Very good! I didn’t have dates on hand so I subbed 1/2 banana and as couple drops of vanilla extract. Looking forward to making with dates.
Wondering if this would work with coconut water instead of a milk substitute? I only have coconut water on hand and don’t want to go to the store!
I’m cooking my sweet potatoes in my air fry cooker.I slice them into large sized fries and I put salt olive oil and I even add black pepper, turmeric powder, cayenne powder and onion powder. I cook twenty minutes and I love it. I even put cheese 🧀 on top and cook another minute.
This was so good I felt compelled to leave a comnent. I usually stick to green smoothies, this was an absolute treat.
I tried this amazing recipe today and it was delicious and filling. Thank you so much for sharing. This one is a keeper.
I made one last night.Drank it this morning before i went to work.I made it with canned sweet potatoes milk ginger.apple pie spice vanilla and one half banana.Loved it.
I made this today for a mid-morning snack, and really enjoyed! The turmeric flavor came out a bit strong, so next time I’ll likely reduce the quantity by a bit; I also subbed flax seed in for hemp hearts. This is a creamy, filling smoothie that I don’t feel guilty about gulping down in ten seconds flat! Will definitely be adding this to my morning rotation.
I’m marathon training and this is great for post-run refuel. I added a scoop of vanilla collagen peptide protein powder to it. Delicious!
Doubled the recipe. Wonderful ! Now my new go-to veggie smoothie recipe (sans dates). Used Sweet Leaf stevia drops instead.
Delicious! I added vanilla bone broth protein powder and Greek yogurt to add protein. Like a dessert.