These Zucchini Boat Pizzas are a healthier way to get your pizza fix. Filled with your favorite pizza toppings, they have all the flavor you love, without the refined flour crust.
As an added bonus they are properly combined, if you follow food combining for easier digestion. They are also a great low-carb pizza option for those who need it. (Much easier than taking the time to make a cauliflower pizza crust!)
How to Make Zucchini Boats
To make zucchini boats, slice a zucchini in half and use a spoon to scoop out the seeds. Be careful not to scoop out too much of the zucchini, because you want the boats to be sturdy enough to hold all of your pizza toppings later.
Arrange the scooped-out zucchini cut-side-up on a baking sheet (no need to grease the pan; they won’t stick). Bake the zucchini boats until tender, about 20-30 minutes.
Zucchini Boat Recipe
You can top your baked zucchini boats with any toppings you like. For this pizza version, I like to start with a sugar-free marinara or pizza sauce, and then I add a little shredded cheese (or try a vegan cheese sauce, for a dairy-free option), and my favorite pizza toppings. You can use chopped bell peppers, olives, pepperoni, fresh basil, or anything else you love.
To finish them off, you simply bake again until the toppings are hot and bubbly. I like to bake them for about 10 more minutes, so the zucchini is easy enough to cut with the side of a fork.
Zucchini Boat Pizzas (Low-Carb & Gluten-free)
- 2 zucchini
- fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese (or vegan cheese)
- 4 slices pepperoni, cut into quarters (I use Applegate's turkey version)
- parmesan cheese , for garnish
- fresh basil , for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Slice each zucchini in half lengthwise, then use a spoon to scoop out the seeds. You want to leave about 1/2-inch of the zucchini flesh inside, so that it will hold a "boat" shape.
- Place the zucchini cut-side up on a large baking sheet and sprinkle them with salt. Bake at 400ºF until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Fill the cooked zucchini with your favorite pizza toppings, including a spoonful of pizza sauce, shredded cheese, and chopped veggies and pepperoni, if desired. (I use one slice of pepperoni, cut into quarters, per boat). Return them to the oven to bake until the cheese is bubbly and the toppings are hot, about 10 more minutes.
- Serve the zucchin boats right away, garnished with fresh basil and a sprinkling of parmesan cheese, if desired.
For 2 boats (1 whole zucchini): Calories: 136, Fat: 7g, Carbohydrates: 10g, Fiber: 2g, Protein: 10g
- You can make this recipe vegan by omitting the pepperoni and using a vegan cheese sauce. (Or try a store bought vegan cheese– I like Miyoko’s brand.)
- Or, try my Vegan Stuffed Zucchini recipe for a Mexican-style variation!
More Healthy Pizza Ideas:
If you love pizza as much as I do, you should probably try these options, too. They are a great way to eat more veggies, while enjoying the pizza flavors that you love!
P.S. For more healthy recipes, be sure to check out my new book, The Fresh & Healthy Instant Pot Cookbook. When you preorder a copy before October 9th, you’ll get a 52-page Weight Loss Guide, complete with exclusive recipes to help you reach your health goals. This free gift is my way of saying THANK YOU for your support! Get all the details here.
Reader Feedback: Do you have another way you like to enjoy pizza? Please share! Apparently “pizza smoothies” are a thing, too, but I don’t think I can go there…. ha!