Paleo Pancakes (Grain-Free)

Sunday mornings were made for eating pancakes, don’t you think?

Of course, if you’re following a gluten-free, grain-free, or Paleo-style diet, like we currently are over here, pancakes can be a little hard to come by.

Unless you try making these pancakes, which are free of all grains and processed sugars!

Paleo Pancakes
makes 4 pancakes (about 1 serving)

Adapted from Breaking the Vicious Cycle

1 large banana, very ripe with black spots on skin
1 whole egg
1/8 teaspoon baking soda

*optional: 1 tablespoon almond butter (or peanut butter, if you prefer)

Preheat your oven to 400F.

Using a spoon, drop the batter onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper into 4 evenly sized pancakes. (I used about 2 spoonfuls per pancake.)

Bake for 12-15 minutes at 400F, or until golden brown.

In case you’re wondering, I don’t recommend pan-frying these…

…because they’ll crumble upon flipping. Trust me on that one. (They still taste AMAZING though!)

Serve warm, with or without syrup.

These pancakes taste like rich, peanut butter banana bread– so there’s really no need for syrup.

But it does make for a pretty presentation.

Paleo Pancakes (Grain-Free)
Cook time:
Serves: 1

A quick and easy grain-free pancake!
  • 1 large banana, very ripe with black spots on skin
  • 1 whole egg
  • ⅛ teaspoon baking soda
  • *optional: 1 tablespoon almond butter (or peanut butter, if you prefer)
  1. Preheat your oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  2. In a small bowl, mash the banana until it resembles a puree, then mix in the egg, baking soda, and nut butter, until well incorporated.
  3. Using a spoon, drop the batter onto the lined baking sheet into 4 evenly sized pancakes. (I used about 2 spoonfuls per pancake)
  4. Bake for 12-15 minutes at 400F, or until golden brown. The parchment paper prevents sticking, without the need for any added butter or oil!
  5. Serve warm, with or without syrup, and enjoy!

Enjoy!

*Note: While these pancakes are not properly combined, I still consider them a much healthier option to traditional, and even whole-wheat, pancakes. They make a perfectly delicious weekend treat!

Happy Sunday, indeed.

Comments

1. Karen says

Try a similar recipe of 2 eggs and 1 banana(ripe) and cook with just a touch of coconut oil in a fry pan and they turn out like crepes. Delicious! You can roll them up around fruit or chicken sausage or whatever. Use as a sandwich.

Good with or without syrup and butter.

2. Nelly says

Hi Megan!Delicious pancakes, thank you for sharing.I tried it with non-stick pan, but when it came to flip the pancake, I usead a plate.I simply put a large plate on the pan and turn it down, so that the pancake remain on the plate, then I put the pancake back in the pan and finish the second part of the pancake.It is faster that way , I think :)

3. says

Thanks, so much for all your awesome recipes. We have a two year old son. Who loves all the things I’ve made for him. My husband bought me a Paleo Cookbook it was okay but nothing like your website.

4. Hannah says

These pancakes are hands down some of the best pancakes I have ever had!!! They are definitely a weekly staple! I have yet to find a recipe on this blog that is not good. Next up I will try the Almond Butter Pancakes. Keep up the good work! :)

5. Julie says

I’ve tried this recipe before as is–and LOVE it! But I thought I’d give it a shot with a flax egg since I’ve been having tummy issues with poultry eggs lately. It completely flopped! After 15 minutes in the oven I gave up and took my perfectly round shaped piles of banana mush out of the oven. HOWEVER, instead of wasting, I stumbled upon this gem:

Grain-Free OR Celiac Safe Oatmeal
    (depending on where in the world you are, some qualify flaxseed as a grain):

1 ripe banana, mashed
    1 flax egg
    blueberries (the more the merrier!)

Heat in a sauce pan for about 10min, until gummy texture, serve with just a drizzle of pure maple syrup and consume with joy :)

I’m in my third trimester and for some reason, oatmeal gives me bad heartburn, so I have found this to be a deliciously satisfying substitute!

6. Cindy says

Im New to food pairing but I really want to try it and do it right. .. And this looks so yummy. But from what I understand from the chart, you shouldn’t combine, fruits, nuts, egg. Did I not read it correctly. I just want to understand. Thank you!

• Megan says

As you can see in the recipe above, I made a note that these pancakes are NOT properly combined. They are still an upgrade from traditional pancakes, especially for people who need to remain grain-free, but they should be considered a special treat, rather than a daily indulgence.

7. Polina says

Wow, just eating these for breakfast right now, they are delicious! I used virgin coconut oil instead of almond and it has a real tropical flaour!

8. Kayt says

Do you think the banana could be replaced with applesauce or plain Greek yogurt? If so, how much would equal one banan.

9. Kayt says

So, I went ahead and did a little experiment! I subsitutes the banana for 1/2 natural unsweetened applesauce, and they turned out delicious! I add about a teaspoon of cinnamon and a tablespoon of ground flaxseed (for added nutrition) and they were superb! The only thing is that they did turn out flat, like other people mentioned, but they still tasted great

10. Caryl says

I made these pancakes this morning-put blueberries in the batter, and they tasted great. Like other posts, mine were flat and stuck to the parchment paper and had to be scraped off…they were not pretty. So next time I will try frying in a pan with coconut oil as was suggested.

11. Georgie says

Hi Megan,
    I only had a small banana so my mixture seemed way too runny. I decided to try a little experiment and add some coconut flour. I fried 2 in coconut oil on the stovetop (a little tricky to flip but stayed together-yay) and put two in the oven-all absolutely delicious with a few berries and maple syrup. Quite an indulgent dessert but it is Valentines Day after all :) Thanks for your recipes-I love them!!

12. Lea says

I did a little experimenting and found that by adding two tablespoons of ground flax seeds to the mixture, I was able to cook them in the skillet with no problems at all! They held together beautifully. Thanks for another great recipe!

13. Marli says

Yum! I mixed the batter up in the Nutribullet, added flaxseed meal to help with cohesion and add some extra nutrition. Also added dried tart cherries and almond butter and topped with coconut oil and a little honey-the house smelled so good, just like banana bread! Thanks for this great idea!

14. Marija says

I made this pancakes today and they were amaizing. Before I always fried them in a pan and they always got the texture of omelet or something like that, but those paleo pancakes were like real pancakes and they did not taste like bananaomelet. I once tried to make bananapancakes in the oven but they failed but it was because I didn’t knew how long or what temperature should have used. I’m glad that I found this recipe. Thank you a lot.

ps. sorry for my bad english :)

15. says

These pancakes are AMAZING! I could eat regular pancakes, but often they seem like a hassle to prepare unless I’m feeding a crowd. I love how easy these are – the last few mornings I’ve made them for myself as a quick weekday morning breakfast. DELICIOUS!

16. says

I love these! I added a tiny pinch of sea salt, dash of vanilla extract and some cinnamon, yum yum.. And agree, don’t work in a frying pan : ) Turned out like a pancake scramble!

Trackbacks