Paleo Pancakes (Grain-Free)

Sunday mornings were made for eating pancakes, don’t you think?

Of course, if you’re following a gluten-free, grain-free, or Paleo-style diet, like we currently are over here, pancakes can be a little hard to come by.

Unless you try making these pancakes, which are free of all grains and processed sugars!

Paleo Pancakes
makes 4 pancakes (about 1 serving)

Adapted from Breaking the Vicious Cycle

1 large banana, very ripe with black spots on skin
1 whole egg
1/8 teaspoon baking soda

*optional: 1 tablespoon almond butter (or peanut butter, if you prefer)

Preheat your oven to 400F.

Using a spoon, drop the batter onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper into 4 evenly sized pancakes. (I used about 2 spoonfuls per pancake.)

Bake for 12-15 minutes at 400F, or until golden brown.

In case you’re wondering, I don’t recommend pan-frying these…

…because they’ll crumble upon flipping. Trust me on that one. (They still taste AMAZING though!)

Serve warm, with or without syrup.

These pancakes taste like rich, peanut butter banana bread– so there’s really no need for syrup.

But it does make for a pretty presentation.

Paleo Pancakes (Grain-Free)
Cook time:
Serves: 1

A quick and easy grain-free pancake!
  • 1 large banana, very ripe with black spots on skin
  • 1 whole egg
  • ⅛ teaspoon baking soda
  • *optional: 1 tablespoon almond butter (or peanut butter, if you prefer)
  1. Preheat your oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  2. In a small bowl, mash the banana until it resembles a puree, then mix in the egg, baking soda, and nut butter, until well incorporated.
  3. Using a spoon, drop the batter onto the lined baking sheet into 4 evenly sized pancakes. (I used about 2 spoonfuls per pancake)
  4. Bake for 12-15 minutes at 400F, or until golden brown. The parchment paper prevents sticking, without the need for any added butter or oil!
  5. Serve warm, with or without syrup, and enjoy!

Enjoy!

*Note: While these pancakes are not properly combined, I still consider them a much healthier option to traditional, and even whole-wheat, pancakes. They make a perfectly delicious weekend treat!

Happy Sunday, indeed.

Hi, I’m Megan. A former fast food junkie turned certified nutritionist consultant, trying to make healthy living as easy as possible. I believe in eating delicious whole foods on a regular basis to help naturally support the body’s detox organsβ€” no juice fasting required. (Unless you want to!) If you make one of my healthy recipes, tag @detoxinista on Instagram or Facebook so I can see!

110 thoughts on “Paleo Pancakes (Grain-Free)

1. SensibleSpice

While I thought peanuts where not pale (they are a legume), I am sure this would work with cashew paste instead.

Ahh, you’re probably right! I actually don’t eat peanut butter often myself, but my husband LOVES the stuff– so it’s still a staple in our house.

I think almond butter would be “Paleo approved,” for sure, too. πŸ˜‰

2. Shannon

These look amazing!! I can’t wait to make them! I wonder if they could be made ahead and reheated or if the batter could be made in advance? My weekday mornings are a blur normally trying to workout and get to work on time, but waiting for the weekend for these may not be an option. πŸ™‚

1. Shannon

I’m definitely going to try. I think I may try with pumpkin (because I’m obsessed with all things pumpkin) and a little stevia. I’ll let you know. πŸ™‚

2. Gia

Made these today for breakfast and they were absolutely fantastic! Better than i remember any traditional pancake to be ever- dont miss the part when I’m hungry 20 minutes later because of the ingredients! Haha This is a keeper, no doubt. Question- do i need to flip them halfway through baking?

Nope, no need to flip them! But, they will look slightly different than a traditional pancake since you don’t flip them– more like a flattened muffin top. I flip them over to serve, so they look like flat pancakes. πŸ™‚

3. Sarah

These are delicious!! My only concern is that they came out super flat. Not fluffy like the pic. I used a SIL pat … Not sure if that would affect it… Any suggestions? My four year old loved them too. Score!

1. Megan @ The Detoxinista

Glad they tasted good, but I’m sorry they were so flat! I’ve never tried making them on my Silpat, but I can tell you from experience that parchment paper DOES make a difference over the Silpat… not sure why. Maybe that would help?

4. Matt

I was just going to ask you what to do with some bananas that I have that are going brown, but I decided to check the site first and these’ll do just fine! This is right up my alley.

5. Alyssa

Just made these this morning without the peanut butter and i love them!! Thank you for the receipe! I have a couple frozen ripe banana’s so i may try make it with them tomorrow and see how that turns out. I cant wait to have some more! Thanks!

1. Alyssa

I just tried the frozen banana’s (for a late night snack) and it turned out perfect. When i defrosted the banana, i drained out some of the liquid cause i think it would have been too runny with it all in there. But i will make it again with frozen bananas for sure.

6. KerriAnn

Holy YUM! I made these last night and put them in the fridge to have this morning for breakfast. So good! Thank you! I have been looking for a pancake recipe that doesn’t call for almond flour. These are perfect!

7. Jennifer

I can’t believe how easy and tasty these were! My two boys ate them right up today and asked for more. I am thrilled to have another easy grain free breakfast. I added some vanilla and cinammon too..yummy. Thank you.

8. Sarah

I just made these for a Passover breakfast treat – they were delicious!! I actually had more luck with them on the frying pan – the ones in the oven completely flattened out! And I added chopped chocolate to a bunch (I made a double batch) – my four year-old gobbled them up (as did my husband…) πŸ™‚ Thank you!

9. Tracy

Made these today as a quick before school breakfast for the kids. They LOVED them and want more tomorrow. Thanks for the great simple recipe!!

10. Carrie

I just made these. They are awesome!! Thank you so much for posting the recipe. Next time I want to try using pancake molds to make them just a tad thicker on the edges. Mine were thinner than yours and started to burn. I’m so excited to try these again.

I used heart-shaped pancake rings to make these on Valentine’s Day, and they turned out so thick and fluffy! I definitely recommend it! πŸ™‚

11. Pingback: Paleo Pancakes Β« Detoxinista « My Law of Attraction Body

12. Mary

I made these and they were delicious BUT… They were totally flat and they stuck to the parchment paper. It looks like you may have cooked yours a little longer. Any ideas?

13. Sid

I tried this recipe and didn’t have any parchment paper so I microwaved half the batter in a glass pan lightly greased with butter for 10 minutes on low. It came out a lie tangle and I rolled fresh rasberries up in it and had the most delicious breakfast burrito. Do you stay away from microwave use? Does it change the health benefits? If so I am going to try backing it when I get parchment paper and having it again.

14. Sid

It is a good thing I cook better than I spell….they came out a little triangle and I will try baking it next time.

15. Annis

Made these pancakes last night with one major addition – a few chocolate chips – and simply reheated them this morning for a yummy breakfast!!

16. Katherine

i just made these ! delish / i am soon to be 79 and am becoming idiosyncratic in my food choices / i love these / i baked at 425′ bc i live at an altitude / had a little melted ghee and a sprinkle of salt on them / and i am glad to see frozen bananas can be used / well i didnt go all caveman and mash it with a rock / food processor works just fine / there is enough batter for two more and i am going to skip the parchment paper and use my well seasoned stainless steel cookie sheets
    and see how it goes

17. Pingback: The Fountain Avenue Kitchen – Baked Pumpkin Pancakes

18. Katja

A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! I’m quite new to paleo and have been wondering if there are variations to my favorite treats (pancakes being one of them, I’m such a pancakefan!). I’ve made these for the past 3 days and they are like seriously the yummiest pancakes I’ve ever had! I love how easy and fast this recipe is; I’m a very impatient person when it comes to cooking so this is just perfect! Thank you so much, I will definitely be taking a look at all your other recipes πŸ™‚

19. Natalie

Have just made these and they are wonderful-i feel like i can cook now i’m on my third successful recipe from your site lol πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ thankyou thankyou

20. Carissa

I have made these before and never even thought about baking them! Great idea!!

I have fried them but they never crumble on me… hmmm.. I had a different ratio though; it was 2 eggs to one banana. Never added the peanut butter so I want to try that!

21. Pingback: What Will Be Your First Meal? | spinach in my teeth

22. Beth

I tried this recipe and it was delicious. However, eggs really do upset my stomach. I then tried them with a flax egg replacer recipe and they were so flat I could not remove them from the paper. I do not have a lot of experience with using flax seed and found many different variations of the recipe. Perhaps it did not work because there is no flour? I noticed that many Paleo pancake recipes use many eggs. Any suggestions? I really like the taste of these!! But I would like it better if they didn’t upset my stomach :0)

Hi Beth! I’m not aware of any other egg substitutes that would be Paleo-friendly– most vegan substitutes are starch-based, and I’m not sure they would work in this type of recipe. I will be sure to keep you updated if I come up with anything!

23. Shannon

Oh my, YUM! I’m new to the paleo diet (only two weeks in) and I was really craving pancakes. These hit the spot! I added a tsp of tapioca flour to the recipe (for further cohesion) and fried them in a little coconut fat on the griddle. Delicious! They really fluffed up nicely.

24. Linda K

I made these this morning with egg replacer and they were delicious! I am not Paleo as a vegetarian, but I do have gluten sensitivity. I love your site and have made many of your recipes. I passed along your site to my colleagues at work – we are all trying to eat more whole foods. We had our Christmas potluck: my contribution was your Blonde Detox Macaroons, which tasted so buttery and delicious that they were totally gone, even before the sugary, flour-based cookies and cakes. Thank you for all the recipes and the inspiration to get baking / cooking again!

25. Pingback: Safe treats for sleep deprived mommy w. MAJOR sugar cravings? - Page 2 | Mark's Daily Apple Health and Fitness Forum page 2

26. Pingback: bohopunk.com | Weekend Brunch: Vegan Whole Wheat Pancakes with Strawberry Puree

27. liz

i was so excited to try these. i just made them and they are completely stuck to the parchment paper. I followed this recipe exactly.. they also look much flatter. I dont know what I did!

Sometimes my batch will turn out flatter, too, depending on the size of the banana I use. I’m not sure why they would stick to the parchment paper, though! Mine usually peel right off with a spatula. I hope they tasted good, regardless!

1. liz

they were DELIGHTFUL! I added some cinnamon to mine (very good!) My sister informed me that she used the same parchment paper for a recipe recently, and it gave her similar issues. SO, i think I just need to get a better quality brand! Thanks again for sharing this yummy recipe :o)

2. Sarah

I love the flavor of these, but admit that I have had the same issues! I have made these twice, each time they came out completely different. What they did have in common is that both times they came out very flat (more crepe than pancake). The second time I buttered my parchment paper with smart balance so I wouldn’t have to go through the frustration of scraping my breakfast onto my plate, but even with the butter they still came out looking NOTHING like the picture.

The flavor is still there & this is really a recipe that I want to incorporate into our lives on a weekly basis. Would it be possible for you to measure the banana mash? “one large banana” is very subjective & this variation can make a huge difference in baking. If you can just measure the mash & let us know the optimal amount of banana mash to use in cup-form, that would make a world of difference! Actually knowing how much to use would take this recipe from 3 stars to 5 πŸ™‚

Hi Sarah! I will make sure to measure the banana the next time I bake these. Sometimes mine are more flat than others, but it’s never bothered me since they always taste good. Also, make sure you’re using parchment paper and not wax paper– the parchment paper shouldn’t need to be scraped or buttered!

28. Joanne

Made this tonight for dessert (believe it or not) and it was amazing! Such a fast and easy recipe! I dashed some sugar free syrup and non dairy whip cream. Mmm good! Thank you so much!

29. Mary Virginia

I’ve made these twice now and love them! I put blueberries on top the second time and they were great. Thanks for sharing.

30. Melly

These look fantastic! I want to make them today but have no baking soda (figures)! What could be a good substitute? OH and would 2 egg whites work the same? Just curious!
    Thanks

31. Jacci Chambers

made this last night and they are DELICIOUS!!! can’t wait to make them again. since eliminating flour from my diet i have craved pancakes…now i can have them!!!

i KNOW my kids will love them too! if i dont eat them all first! is it necessary to flip the pancakes? one side was browner than the other

32. Casey

These are the best pancakes I have ever had! I’m only in my first week paleo and was struggling felt like I needed a treat. This is exactly what I needed. I added some unsweetened coconut and blueberries , too good to be true. Thank you so much!

33. Veronica

I am on a gluten free and egg-free diet for a few weeks due to an infection and I love baking, so your website has been a blessing! Made the carrot cake last time and now just tried these pancakes.

I premixed 3 tbsp. of flaxseed meal with 5 tbsp. of water until it became gooey and used that as egg replacement. The pancakes look fluffy, held together well and they taste delicious.

To me they resemble more of cookies rather than pancakes so next time I will add pecans and white chocolate chips to the batter.

Keep the recipes coming!

34. MelanΓ© Fahner-Botha

What a pity I’m fresh out of bananas! But if himself goes to the shops later he will be asked to buy! I’m wondering which other types of fruits could be used in the same way?

35. MelanΓ© Fahner-Botha

Mine are in the oven now and the smell alone is filling my sceptic husband’s greedy little nose with goodness. I used low-fat peanut butter and just a small pinch of salt (being South African does that to you.) What a lovely way to alternate my fruit-alone breakfast!

36. natalie

I just made these and they were tasty. The only complaint is that they were runny so when I put them no the parchment they spread out and were more like crepes. Maybe my banana was too small? Not sure? Also, even though I used parchment they still stuck a bit. For my second batch I took them off the parchment immediately instead of waiting even 20 secs. Much better second time around. They didn’t stick. But yes very tasty!

37. Heidi

Another great recipe! Thanks so much. I just tried these (with a defrosted banana from the freezer, worked fine!) and loved them, as did my boyfriend. Added a tiny bit more baking soda the second batch (yep, needed seconds πŸ™‚ so they’d be fluffier. Thanks again!

38. Aarah

How did you get yours to stay fluffy. I love these, but they always come out thin. I would love to make them fluffier and fuller. Any suggestions

39. eve

Your recipes are unbelievable good!!!I am so glad I found you.I am trying to lose weight and I am trying to combine my food properly.nothing else has worked.These pancakes are pure heaven.

40. Karen

Try a similar recipe of 2 eggs and 1 banana(ripe) and cook with just a touch of coconut oil in a fry pan and they turn out like crepes. Delicious! You can roll them up around fruit or chicken sausage or whatever. Use as a sandwich.

Good with or without syrup and butter.

41. Nelly

Hi Megan!Delicious pancakes, thank you for sharing.I tried it with non-stick pan, but when it came to flip the pancake, I usead a plate.I simply put a large plate on the pan and turn it down, so that the pancake remain on the plate, then I put the pancake back in the pan and finish the second part of the pancake.It is faster that way , I think πŸ™‚

42. Erica

Thanks, so much for all your awesome recipes. We have a two year old son. Who loves all the things I’ve made for him. My husband bought me a Paleo Cookbook it was okay but nothing like your website.

43. Hannah

These pancakes are hands down some of the best pancakes I have ever had!!! They are definitely a weekly staple! I have yet to find a recipe on this blog that is not good. Next up I will try the Almond Butter Pancakes. Keep up the good work! πŸ™‚

44. Pingback: Food preppin’ + a sidenote | Levels

45. Pingback: Welcome! | Sip of Southern

46. Pingback: Welcome! | Sip of Southern

47. Julie

I’ve tried this recipe before as is–and LOVE it! But I thought I’d give it a shot with a flax egg since I’ve been having tummy issues with poultry eggs lately. It completely flopped! After 15 minutes in the oven I gave up and took my perfectly round shaped piles of banana mush out of the oven. HOWEVER, instead of wasting, I stumbled upon this gem:

Grain-Free OR Celiac Safe Oatmeal
    (depending on where in the world you are, some qualify flaxseed as a grain):

1 ripe banana, mashed
    1 flax egg
    blueberries (the more the merrier!)

Heat in a sauce pan for about 10min, until gummy texture, serve with just a drizzle of pure maple syrup and consume with joy πŸ™‚

I’m in my third trimester and for some reason, oatmeal gives me bad heartburn, so I have found this to be a deliciously satisfying substitute!

48. Cindy

Im New to food pairing but I really want to try it and do it right. .. And this looks so yummy. But from what I understand from the chart, you shouldn’t combine, fruits, nuts, egg. Did I not read it correctly. I just want to understand. Thank you!

As you can see in the recipe above, I made a note that these pancakes are NOT properly combined. They are still an upgrade from traditional pancakes, especially for people who need to remain grain-free, but they should be considered a special treat, rather than a daily indulgence.

49. Polina

Wow, just eating these for breakfast right now, they are delicious! I used virgin coconut oil instead of almond and it has a real tropical flaour!

50. Kayt

Do you think the banana could be replaced with applesauce or plain Greek yogurt? If so, how much would equal one banan.

51. Kayt

So, I went ahead and did a little experiment! I subsitutes the banana for 1/2 natural unsweetened applesauce, and they turned out delicious! I add about a teaspoon of cinnamon and a tablespoon of ground flaxseed (for added nutrition) and they were superb! The only thing is that they did turn out flat, like other people mentioned, but they still tasted great

52. Caryl

I made these pancakes this morning-put blueberries in the batter, and they tasted great. Like other posts, mine were flat and stuck to the parchment paper and had to be scraped off…they were not pretty. So next time I will try frying in a pan with coconut oil as was suggested.

53. Georgie

Hi Megan,
    I only had a small banana so my mixture seemed way too runny. I decided to try a little experiment and add some coconut flour. I fried 2 in coconut oil on the stovetop (a little tricky to flip but stayed together-yay) and put two in the oven-all absolutely delicious with a few berries and maple syrup. Quite an indulgent dessert but it is Valentines Day after all πŸ™‚ Thanks for your recipes-I love them!!

54. Lea

I did a little experimenting and found that by adding two tablespoons of ground flax seeds to the mixture, I was able to cook them in the skillet with no problems at all! They held together beautifully. Thanks for another great recipe!

55. Marli

Yum! I mixed the batter up in the Nutribullet, added flaxseed meal to help with cohesion and add some extra nutrition. Also added dried tart cherries and almond butter and topped with coconut oil and a little honey-the house smelled so good, just like banana bread! Thanks for this great idea!

56. Marija

I made this pancakes today and they were amaizing. Before I always fried them in a pan and they always got the texture of omelet or something like that, but those paleo pancakes were like real pancakes and they did not taste like bananaomelet. I once tried to make bananapancakes in the oven but they failed but it was because I didn’t knew how long or what temperature should have used. I’m glad that I found this recipe. Thank you a lot.

ps. sorry for my bad english πŸ™‚

57. Pingback: Going Gluten Free | Corinne O'Flynn, writer

58. Meredith Bennett

These pancakes are AMAZING! I could eat regular pancakes, but often they seem like a hassle to prepare unless I’m feeding a crowd. I love how easy these are – the last few mornings I’ve made them for myself as a quick weekday morning breakfast. DELICIOUS!

59. Rebecca

I love these! I added a tiny pinch of sea salt, dash of vanilla extract and some cinnamon, yum yum.. And agree, don’t work in a frying pan : ) Turned out like a pancake scramble!

60. Pingback: Paleo Pancakes | The Paleo Recipe Blog