Almond Milk Coffee Creamer

If you’ve ever tried using store-bought almond milk in your morning coffee, you probably know that it doesn’t make a very good “creamer” substitute. It can curdle, it can separate, it can taste like preservatives… really, nothing that you want in a coffee creamer.

SONY DSC

Homemade almond milk, on the other hand, tastes amazing in coffee.

Especially with my latest discovery–> blending in coconut oil!

By emulsifying a bit of coconut oil into your almond milk, not only will you have a thick, creamy coffee addition, you’ll also be adding some beneficial medium-chain fatty acids into your day. Medium-chain fatty acids, also called MCTs, actually boost your metabolism and help your body use fat for energy, as opposed to storing it, which may help optimize body weight and reduce your risk of Type 2 Diabetes. [source]

It’s coffee creamer with benefits!

Almond Milk Coffee Creamer
makes 4 cups

1 cup raw almonds, soaked 6-8 hours & rinsed well
4 cups filtered water
2 Tablespoons coconut oil

nut milk bag, or fine strainer

Position the nut milk bag over a large bowl, then pour the blender contents into the bag to strain. Squeeze well, until only dry almond pulp remains in the bag. (Reserve the leftover almond pulp for another recipe!)

Note: Freshly made almond milk produces a lovely foam, perfect for making a latte or cafe au lait, if used right away!

Almond Milk Coffee Creamer
Serves: 4 cups

A creamy, non-dairy alternative for serving with coffee or tea.
  • 1 cup raw almonds, soaked 6-8 hours & rinsed well
  • 4 cups filtered water
  • 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
  • nut milk bag, or fine strainer
  1. Combine all ingredients into a high-powered blender, and blend until very smooth and creamy.
  2. Position the nut milk bag over a large bowl, then pour the blender contents into the bag to strain.
  3. Squeeze well, until only dry almond pulp remains in the bag. (Reserve the leftover almond pulp for another recipe!)
  4. Transfer the almond milk to a sealed container, and store in the fridge for up to a week.
Notes
Freshly made almond milk produces a lovely foam, perfect for making a latte or cafe au lait, if used right away! Β©Detoxinista.com

Hope this creamy tip makes your morning a little brighter!

Reader Feedback: Are you a coffee or tea drinker? Do you add cream to your morning beverage? If nothing else, I hope you’re inspired to make your own almond milk if you haven’t tried it already. It’s so easy, and so much tastier!

Hi, I’m Megan. A former fast food junkie turned certified nutritionist consultant, trying to make healthy living as easy as possible. I believe in eating delicious whole foods on a regular basis to help naturally support the body’s detox organsβ€” no juice fasting required. (Unless you want to!) If you make one of my healthy recipes, tag @detoxinista on Instagram or Facebook so I can see!

99 thoughts on “Almond Milk Coffee Creamer

1. Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat

Great idea! I’m not a coffee drinker but I do drink a lot of tea. I’m not really big on creamer but I’m thinking that this could be added to chai tea with a little stevia and it would probably make an amazing chai latte!

2. LizAshlee

I love both but start the day with tea so I don’t jolt my system..I will have a few sips of my sweeties!: ) I love this idea…I use almond milk in my tea and coffee and have just adjusted but this sounds great. I was always under the idea that the almonds wouldn’t yield much milk but for 1 c almonds you get 4 c milk-I am in! I freakin’ love coconut oil…makes everything taste better..but that’s something I have got to watch too! πŸ™‚ Have a great day! Can’t wait to try this one out!

Yes, I know some recipes call for a 3:1 ratio of almonds to water, but I like getting more “bang for my buck” from those pricey almonds! It works great, especially with the coconut oil addition.

I feel like I could never get too much coconut oil. πŸ˜‰

The coconut creamer sounds good, too! That reminds me that I want to try making coconut “whipped cream”– I think you use the same method of chilling the can, so the cream separates at the top, and then whip it up! Sounds totally decadent. πŸ™‚

3. Lisa

Great idea to add the coconut oil to almond milk! Love it. I have an obsession with coffee, but actually prefer it black. In the afternoon, sometimes its nice to switch it up though!

4. anisa

Do you include the soaking water with the almonds? I just tried making this but there was no liquid to squeeze out.

Thanks for the reminder– I actually recommend discarding the soaking water for the almonds, because it should contain the enzyme inhibitors that are removed through the soaking process. I like to rinse the almonds after soaking, then use 4 cups of fresh filtered water for making the creamer.

Hope you enjoy it! πŸ™‚

I usually keep mine in the fridge up to a week (that’s as long as it lasts, for how often we use it!). I wouldn’t recommend keeping it longer than a week, since it is preservative-free…

5. Pingback: Ten Things Tuesday | Lisa Lately

You’d probably need a bit more coconut oil for thickening, but I bet it would work with some experimenting! πŸ™‚

6. sam

Megan please help:-)

I have tried many times your almond milk creamer and it has always separate and curdle in coffee. Also coconut oil tends to separate in upper part of creamer. Please can you write me how and what to do with it.

Many thanks

Hmm… it sounds like the coconut oil isn’t emulsifying with the almond milk in your blender. If you’re using a high-powered blender, like the Vitamix or BlendTec, it should take 30 seconds to a minute for the coconut oil and almond milk to emulsify. If you’re using a less powerful blender, it may take longer than that. It’s normal for the almond milk to separate while stored in the fridge, but shaking it before adding it to your coffee should remedy that. And it definitely shouldn’t curdle in your coffee! I’ve never experienced that with homemade almond milk– just the store-bought variety– so hopefully blending it longer will do the trick.

Hope that helps!

7. Johanna

Cannot wait to try this recipe! What if I made homemade almond milk before hand, can I just add the coconut oil and strain all together? Thanks!

Yes, you could definitely add coconut oil to the almond milk and blend it together so it’s emulsified. No need to strain again! πŸ™‚

8. Janine

Oh my God! It’s so mouth-watering! I can smell the aroma from here, haha! Well honestly, I am not drinking coffee due to palpitation but I can’t really wait to try this at home. I really love the coconut oil and almond combination. I think that it tastes so sweet, really delicious! I also love the fact that it’s healthy. Thanks for sharing this lovely recipe!

9. Yogi

Hello

Being a new mom all over again & 20 weeks pregnant how safe is Almond milk for us? Is it the best source
    of calcium for an expecting mom?

10. Hong Mei

Thanks for the wonderful recipe. Since my husband and I became vegan about ten months ago we have been struggling to find a suitable replacement for milk in our morning coffee. I used a blender that has an attachment to make soy milk and it worked perfectly.

11. Ruth

Thanks sooo much! The coconut creamer that I have been purchasing at the local health food store is very expensive!!!

12. Naomi

I do the SAME with Coconut Milk! I use mature coconut and make fresh coco-milk weekly or even twice a week! ah-ma-zing

Maybe you need to blend it together longer? The coconut oil needs to emulsify into the almond milk, to avoid separation issues. A powerful blender, like the Vitamix, can achieve that in less than a minute, but a traditional blender might take longer. Hope it still tastes good, regardless!

13. Pingback: Life Habits: Waking Up & Digital Over-stimulation | Curate Beauty Daily

14. Pingback: Paleo Parents Egg Drop Soup

I think you can dry almond pulp in the oven and use it in recipes similarly to almond flour… however, I’ve never tried it myself! I haven’t had any luck using the wet almond pulp (the flavor and texture aren’t great) so you definitely need to dry it first. I’ll be sure to post a good recipe if I ever have some success!

15. Nathalie

I compared the almond creamer recipe and the almond milk recipe. It appears that the proportions of almonds and water are about the same (unless I am not fully awake yet and read wrong). Before I make it, I was just wondering if the creamer will be thick enough and creamy enough to help cut the acidic taste of coffee. Thanks! (great website by the way)

It’s not as thick as traditional cream, but the added oil is what makes the difference in the creamer– it’s emulsified into the almond milk, making it thick with a creamy texture. You can try using only 3 cups of water for an even creamier texture!

16. patti

Really love your recipe’s. Is there any chance you could list the nutritional information. Currently on the long path of learning to make healthier food choices and try to monitor my intake of fat, protein , carbs, etc……

17. Lisa

I just found your site a few days ago & just in time, cuz I was just about to sell my vitamix!! I KNOW!! I hated calling the lady who was going to buy it to tell her that I had changed my mind, poor thing, she was crushed but she understood. Anyway, I just tried the Almond Coffee Creamer & it was so good! I love a real creamy look to my coffee & the first cup provided that for me…I haven’t tried 2nd cup yet, but will after sending this. With each sip, I loved watching as it separated but then swirled right back into connective formation, looking just as perfect as the sip before. Underneath that creamy look, lurked a darker mix, that I only caught glimpses of after each sip. I hope each cup is like that & just not the first, due to being a freshly made batch. I used 3 cups of soaked almonds to make my creamer. I’ve tried using just homemade almond milk, but it just wasn’t the same, I couldn’t even finish 1/2 a cup & would dump it & make a fresh cup with half & half. I just love this new creamer, thank you for posting all of your wonderful recipes. I’m new to food combining & raw, however your site & recipes are making it fun & easier to get started & keep going. I can’t wait to try the mint ice-cream! The pumpkin bars! muffins, etc!! Oh & the banana cookies…I could go on & on, they all look so good!! Also next on my list are your salad dressings, I’m sure I will fall in love with greens all over again with them.
    Sorry for the rave being so long!!

18. Lisa

PS…the second cup is completely cream all the way through, no swirling!! I liked the swirling lol…but I like creamy better!!

19. Linda K

I made this today with my new Vitamix and I finally found a natural creamer that didn’t have a strange test, nor any added sweeteners! Plus, it is so creamy! I cut the water by 1 cup, but it is heavenly. The added coconut oil really makes a difference.
    Thank you!

20. Sarah

Oh. My. Goodness. I am so happy right now! I recently changed to a vegan diet, and one of the things I’ve absolutely missed most has been creamer in my morning coffee. I already make my own almond milk, but never considered putting coconut oil in it to make it creamier. I just made a batch of this, and it is absolutely delicious! Thank you so much!

21. Andrea

I’m currently soaking almonds to make this! I haven’t made my own almond milk before (though I’ve made oat milk) because the price of almonds here makes it more expensive than buying it. However, I’m newly vegan and have heard so many good things about homemade almond milk in coffee that I just have to try it! I’m currently using the silk creamer and it’s okay, but I’m hoping this will be even better! I am one of those girls that simply can’t go without her daily cup of coffee (or three :)).

22. Amy K

Do you have to melt the coconut oil before mixing it in the almond milk? I make almond milk alot but have never added the coconut oil. I have a vitamix if that affects your answer. πŸ™‚

The Vitamix is usually powerful enough to melt the coconut oil during the blending process, so I wouldn’t worry about melting it beforehand.

23. Heidi

Hi Megan,
    I love this recipe, thank you for sharing! I was wondering… since 4 cups is a lot for a small household like mine, do you think the creamer would hold up well being frozen and thawed later? Just curious. Thanks!

I’ve never tried freezing it, so I’m not sure on that one. You’d probably need to blend it again once it’s thawed, to incorporate the coconut oil again.

24. Pingback: Paleo Meatballs And Tomato Sauce

25. Roberta

have you tried adding Vanilla or Vanilla Bean to this recipe? also, can the recipe be reduced in volume as I don’t think we would go through 4 cups of creamer in a week if just used for coffee. Suggestions?

You’re welcome to reduce the ingredients proportionally to make a smaller amount! I’m sure vanilla would be delicious, too, if you like that flavor in your tea or coffee.

26. Jessica

You recommended to save the almond pulp for another recipe, what would you use it for? Always interested in using every last drop to make it stretch further πŸ™‚ Got my almonds soaking now to try this recipe out. Cant wait I haven’t found a good replacement yet for creamer.

27. Kori Lusignan

On Saturday I stared a “no dairy, no sugar” phase of life, since it has become clearer and clearer to me that dairy makes me feel ill, and I was concerned that if I avoided dairy, I might choose more sugary items as a substitute. The big dilemma I discovered right away was coffee creamer—if it doesn’t have dairy, it has sugar, or sugar solids. My search for something else, preferably something that would make almond milk less likely to curdle in coffee, led me to this recipe.

I’m sipping it now for the second day in a row, and it is really good. I’m getting used to the texture difference from half-and-half, and as I am definitely still deep into detox, I appreciate that this makes the switch a little easier. I did realize, though, that I might need to invest in a better blender, and some kind of cruet/jar in which I can shake this—I made a great mess with the blender and in my attempt to shake it yesterday—neither were quite as secure as I thought! Nothing like a little cleaning to wake up you. πŸ™‚

28. Penny

Does anyone have any insight on how to turn this into french vanilla creamer? (How much vanilla and liquid sweetener) If I use maple syrup to sweeten, do I need to blend it together, or can I mix by hand?

29. Stefanie

Finally a satisfactory vegan half and half substitute! The color in coffee is GREAT (one of my main objections to other substitutes) and the taste is very good — much better than plain almond milk (which we rejected long ago for coffee).

I have no idea! I’ve found that store bought almond milk usually separates in coffee, but maybe the coconut oil addition would help… you’ll have to let us know if you try it!

30. Shawnda

Thanks for this!! I had tried store-bought almond milk previously and didn’t like it in coffee. This tastes great!! Thank you!

31. Pingback: homemade almond coffee cream | Fruitful Fellowship

32. Nityda

I’ve been wanting to find a replacement for my Silk soy creamer, since I don’t feel like it’s the healthiest option in the morning. I’ve been excited to make this and made it for the first time this morning. Delicious! It has a creamy richness yet it’s totally guilt-free. Thank you- I’m telling all my health-conscious friends about this one.

33. Pingback: Homemade Dairy-Free Coffee Creamer | Purposefully Simple

34. Kaylee

I have been adding regular homemade almond milk to the blender with my coffee and a tablespoon of coconut oil, and that has been delicious, too. That way I can still use the regular almond milk in my protein shakes, but combine it with coconut oil for a creamy coffee.

35. Mina

I am trying to eliminate dairy from my diet (little by little) and in the process I am trying to find alternatives. I am one of those who can’t drink black coffee and I came across your recipe. I was skeptical when I read it, but I thought “oh well, I’ll give it a try anyways…” and boy, was I pleasantly surprised! I never thought I would say it, but here we go: “it’s better than the dairy creamer!!” I am so happy to have found it. I dry the almond stuff left behind to make almond flour and I’ll use it to make almond bread. Thanks so much. God bless you!

36. Amy

I have just made almond milk for the first time. I started with just a few soaked almonds as a test and put them in the blender whole. I got a slightly brown milk, so for the second batch I skinned them first. The skins come off easily and the milk strains more easily too. I only do a handful of almonds at a time as I don’t need much milk. I also added just a tiny pinch of celtic salt. I used the milk in cocoa and it did look lovely and frothy. Cocoa is already rich enough for me so I didn’t add coconut oil. I have just bought some organic coffee beans as a once a week treat, so I look forward to trying it in that.
    The milk has a fairly bland taste but definitely a good substitute for cows milk.
    I only used a silly little hand blender and a little kitchen sieve but it worked OK except that I did get a bit of nutty sediment at the bottom of my cocoa. But that’s OK.

1. DPS

No, coconut milk is not the same as coconut oil. They have totally different properties.
      Even in small towns now you can often find coconut oil at regular grocery stores… I’d check the health food section first.

37. Pingback: Almond Coffee Creamer Recipe and Almond Pulp Recipe

38. Krystn

I made this creamer this morning and it’s delish! For my tastes I did add a few dates, some vanilla and some cinnamon. No more store bought junk for me. Thank you so much!

39. Joy Dauble

My blender isn’t really very good. I’m afraid of putting nuts in it. Can I make this in a food processor? That kitchen gadget of mine works like a charm. Thanks!

1. Julie

Hey Joy! Thanks for referring me to this site. πŸ™‚

I use a cuisineart smart stick attachment (the chopper), and it works ok depending on the almonds. I think a stronger motor would definitely help, and if you can avoid almonds with the peel attached, it’s even better. I used Trader Joe’s sliced almonds (no peel) and it was a lot easier than whole almonds.

40. Gen

I discovered Tropical Traditions online. I buy my Coconut oil (gold), shredded flakes and to die for Coconut Cream Concentrate aka coconut butter. I typically make my own coconut milk from the shredded coconut. I’ve been putting a little bit of oil in my coffee and tea for ages. So healthfully good for your body.

41. Kelly

I just made this with hazelnuts, it is amazing! It’s very creamy, more so than the store bought dairy alternatives. What a great blog, there’s so many great recipes I’m excited to try!

42. LeCave

Hey .. I been doing this about two weeks now, but still trying to get a more ” cream ” look and taste.. so this sounds like something I really want to try!, I also add Dates to my almonds and Vanilla as I used to drink my coffee with Coffee Cream and 2 spoons of sugar !!
    and I have replaced it with just the almond milk !
    and I am a NEWFOUNDLANDER ! you know how we love our coffee and cream! haha .. but could you maybe suggest some brands of the coconut oil we could look for or try? for some reason I am not picturing it in my head ! Thanks so much and I am glad I found your site !
    Cheers from NFLD !

43. Julie

Thanks for another awesome recipe! Coffee creamer has been my weak spot in several instances, and I’m really grateful to be able to have a healthy alternative.

Mine only lasts 3-7 days, probably depending on the emulsion, so I’ve been making it in small batches. It’s worth it! I added vanilla, and have also used chopped/soaked dates for sweetener, based on another website’s recommendation.

44. Yaritza

When I first gave up milk I started drinking almond milk. I hated it in my coffee but loved it in everything else! Then I found an almond/coconut blend milk! It’s awesome in my coffee, so this creamer should be outstanding!

45. Adrienne

I’d luv to have an almond based creamer for my coffee without the coconut oil, for those of us O- blood types who want to stay away from coconut ingredients… Hmm…maybe I’ll play around!

46. Jane

Having attempted many non-dairy creamer creations, I wonder if you have actually used this. There won’t be any similarity to using dairy half and half and a batch this size will have a different result in your coffee after sitting in the refrigerator for several days – it will separate and look unappealing. This recipe would result in a very thin and watery “creamer” due to the high amount of water versus the 1 cup of almonds. I love creamed coffee but otherwise avoid dairy. Commercial non-dairy creamers are too sugar laden. I really do wish there was decent solution. I tried using guar gum to better emulsify this and I’ve tried coconut milk using full fat canned, tetra boxed coconut milk, and the homemade version. It’s back to the creation counter I guess.

It sounds like you haven’t actually tried this recipe? I enjoy it regularly in my coffee, and it definitely provides the creaminess I love!

47. Donna

Do you blanch your almonds before soaking? I’ve done that once only and although it was a breeze to strain, the milk separated significantly and curdled in my coffe after a few days. This hasn’t happened with un blanched almonds but straining through cheesecloth is quite a mess!

48. Nicole

I keep having the separation issue in my tea, I never thought to add coconut oil but that is genius! Will definitely be trying it out soon. I have a mate late recipe I’m working on and need to figure out how to avoid that separation!

49. Sophie

Why haven`t I googled “make coffee creamer” before!? What an AMAZING idea! My friend already suggested I add coconut oil to my coffee, and now THIS! I might add some organic vanilla essence if I want a french vanilla coffee! Thanks for that, I will try it today πŸ™‚

50. Sophie

AMAZING!!! Just made it this morning. It is the first time that I make my own almond milk. I never thought it would taste soooooo gooood!! The coconut oil adds this great silky texture and taste. Awesome, will be having this creamer forever now! (+ have almond meal from the process to make banana bread omg?!?)

51. Sandra

I think I will try not adding the coconut oil until after I strain my almond meal because I always make flour out of the meal. So easy in the oven but I’m afraid with the oil mixed in it may burn? Any thoughts on that? I won’t be making this til next week when I shop for almonds so I can’t experiment yet.

52. Jen

I just made this from your book. It is so yummy and just the recipe I needed! I used cashews because that’s what I had and it was yummy.

The book has instructions for turning this into french vanilla creamer. I am wondering about vanilla bean powder. I thought it may be extra tasty instead of vanilla extract. Do you have any thoughts on that? A lot of paleo recipes call for a vanilla bean but vanilla bean powder seems much more convenient, except I never see it mentioned.

53. rebecca

I’m a little late to this party, but…. I can’t wait to try this!! My question is- have you ever tried coconut cream (from the canned coconut milk) in your homemade almond milk? I wondered if that would be creamier than coconut oil or if anyone had any results. Thanks for the tip and have a good day!

1. Dani

I switched to canned coconut milk in my coffee when I went dairy free … it’s OK, not great, but gets the job done. I like that the fat in it sustains me for the morning but it doesn’t have the creaminess/mouth texture that my heavy cream does. Dairy is now a big no-no for me so I make do.

I personally don’t like coconut oil in my coffee but did use it in the past for its health benefits (I continue to use it in other recipes but just don’t care for it in my coffee unless I mix it in with some ghee or irish butter and whirl it up in my blender to make it frothy).

I’ll have to give this almond milk recipe a try based on the reviews. I’ve tried store bought nut milks as alternatives but they didn’t do much for me.