Easy Raw Chocolate Bark

I’ve got just the thing to satisfy your next chocolate craving.

Raw chocolate bark.

It’s guilt-free, and happens to be incredibly fast and easy to prepare. Loaded with healthy fats from coconut oil, antioxidant-rich cocoa powder, and lightly sweetened with honey, this rich, dark chocolate will melt-in-your-mouth and can be enjoyed in minutes!

Easy Raw Chocolate Bark
serves 1-2

2 tablespoons coconut oil, softened
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon maple syrup or honey

*It’s important that the coconut oil is not melted, or the coconut oil and cocoa powder will separate while setting. For a smooth texture, solid or softened coconut oil is best.

Transfer the chocolate mixture to a dish lined with parchment paper, and smooth with a spatula. No need for fancy candy molds!

Place in the freezer to set for 20 minutes, then use a sharp knife to cut into bite-sized chunks.

Serve directly from the freezer and enjoy!

Easy Raw Chocolate Bark
Cook time:
Serves: 1-2

• 2 tablespoons coconut oil, softened
  • 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
  • ½ teaspoon maple syrup or honey
  1. In a small bowl, combine all three ingredients and mix until well combined. Taste the mixture, and adjust sweetness, to taste.
  2. Transfer the chocolate mixture to a dish lined with parchment paper, and smooth with a spatula.
  3. Place in the freezer to set for 20 minutes, then use a knife to cut into bite-sized chunks.
  4. Serve directly from the freezer and enjoy!
Notes
It's important that the coconut oil is not melted, or the coconut oil and cocoa powder will separate while setting. For a smooth texture, solid or softened coconut oil is best.

This recipe is incredibly versatile, so feel free to get creative! Add more or less honey, to taste, a handful of shredded coconut, sliced almonds, dried fruit, cocoa nibs… the combinations are endless.

If you give it a shot, please share your favorite bark creations in the comment section below!

Hi, Iโ€™m Megan. A former fast food junkie turned certified nutritionist consultant, trying to make healthy living as easy as possible. I believe in eating delicious whole foods on a regular basis to help naturally support the bodyโ€™s detox organsโ€” no juice fasting required. (Unless you want to!) If you make one of my healthy recipes, tag @detoxinista on Instagram or Facebook so I can see!

104 thoughts on “Easy Raw Chocolate Bark

1. Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat

Oooh this sounds good! I’d definitely add some nuts to mine. I’m loving almonds and pistachios right now! Do you think raw honey would work? I have the Dutchman’s Gold one and it’s quite hard to get ‘moving’ (a lot less runny than regular honey!) but it’d be awesome to add all the health benefits of it!

Yes, I’ve tried it with raw honey! You just have to mix it a little longer, so it gets incorporated throughout. ๐Ÿ™‚

2. Holly

Ever since I discovered you could make dark chocolate using coconut oil and raw cacao powder it’s rescued me from the temptations of the store-bought variety and I make it on a regular basis to satisfy my family’s cravings.
      If you add dried fruit and nuts to the mix (make sure you check that the dried fruit has no added sugar, wholefoods has a good variety), you don’t even need to add the honey. I just made some this afternoon with stevia and it’s delicious!!

2. LizAshlee

Oh my..this sounds amazing…and so easy! I can even try it tonight perhaps!! I am thinking the coconut and the almonds sounds like an amazing addition, but I might just make the original recipe first! Happy Monday gorgeous!

3. Emily

You have just given me a very happy smile! I’ve been trying to stop spending so much on chocolate and this also appears to be healthier for me too. Cheers!

Yes, I find it helps with portion control, too! For some reason, it’s harder for me to over-eat this type of chocolate compared to the store-bought stuff.

1. PAT

I also have made this with Grade B Maple syrup…..you could add a few drops of vanilla and a pinch of sea salt
          ….I used this on some strawverries..they were a big Hit !

The first few times I tried making this, it wasn’t pretty either! I learned about using melted oil the hard way… but like you said, it still tasted good. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Hope you enjoy it!

4. Karen

This looks great – I think I’ll try it today! Do you know whether this could be used as chocolate chips in cookies? Or would it not work when heated in the oven? I’ve been looking for a way to make chocolate chip cookies that have no cane sugar. Thanks!

I’m afraid it won’t work as chocolate chips in cookies– even just mixing them in the batter might be enough for them to melt. However, I think if you tried using raw cacao butter instead of coconut oil, that might do the trick. It’s solid at room temperature and has to be melted to be mixed, so it should be a little more durable.

Let us know if you have any luck! ๐Ÿ™‚

5. carmen

I have been making something similar, adding almond butter and crunchy rice cereal. Also, I use liquid stevia instead of honey.

6. Holly

I will be making this ASAP!!! THANKS for sharing! I have told tons of people about your blog and we all LOVE it! Thanks for such amazing, healthy ideas!

7. Cristina

I can’t wait to try this! Thanks so much! I have been waiting for a recipe like this ๐Ÿ™‚

Any thoughts about putting a Pinterest button on your site…? Pretty please ๐Ÿ™‚

8. Yasmeen

I raced home from work to try this recipe out. It is AMAZING! Next time I’m going to add some nuts to it and maybe some dried cranberries.

9. Janet

This is perfectly DELICIOUS! You have just saved me *thousands of dollars* because I will be making this for a lifetime! I’m one of those people who tries to just have a few bites of chocolate after dinner instead of regular dessert (I often fail at this goal) and being able to make it myself with hand-selected organic ingredients makes me SO happy. Now I have to go make more for my afternoon guests, as this little bit will not last! Thanks!

I’m so glad you enjoyed it! I’m the same way with my usual dark chocolate– failing at just sticking to a couple bites after dinner– so this raw chocolate bark has been a game changer. ๐Ÿ˜‰

10. Brooke

DELICIOUS! I mixed in dried cranberries and cashews, this was amazing! Thanks for sharing such a quick and easy recipe ๐Ÿ™‚ Now I can give into my craving without grabbing some junk at 3am.

11. Lisa

Love how this is so easy. Probably cheaper than buying those expensive chocolate bars at the store! I’d definitely eat it plain, I hate add ins in chocolate.

12. Pingback: St. Mary’s Glacier + Raw SunKissed Chocolate Bar

13. Rachel @ Rediscovering the Kitchen

Thank you so much for this recipe, I cannot eat chocolate so I tweaked the recipe a bit and made my own with carob powder! Pictures and recipe here; http://rediscoverthekitchen.blogspot.com/2012/07/kitchen-own-recipe-carob-brittle.html I hope it gives you enough credit. ๐Ÿ™‚

I don’t know if you have heard of carob, but it is very similar to chocolate and many who can’t tolerate chocolate find that they can tolerate carob just fine. It might be worth a mention to your readers who can’t eat chocolate like me.

I’m glad you enjoyed it! I don’t love the flavor of carob, but I’m hoping that one day it will grown on me… ๐Ÿ˜‰

1. Rachel @ Rediscovering the Kitchen

It definitely helps it grow on you when you can no longer eat chocolate! I think a mistake a lot of people make though is thinking that it’s going to taste similar to chocolate; it doesn’t, it has a wonderful unique flavor that is good on it’s own. The flavor profile is similar; complex, rich, dark, but it really is it’s own food.

14. neal

Very nice. Added chopped mango and roasted sunflower seeds. Will try adding black pepper to the next batch.

15. neal

Made a bunch of different batches and found the type of coconut oil used makes a large difference! Refined expeller pressed organic coconut oil has a very mild, almost unnoticeable taste in the final product. Virgin cold pressed unrefined organic has a very noticeable taste. Depending on the added flavorings, you may or may not like the stronger coconut flavor. So far, everybody is very pleasantly surprised when they taste the black pepper laced version. The favorite has been finely chopped fresh organic cherries with cinnamon.
    Thanks for posting this. It has been a great deal of fun and a gastronomic delight!

16. Pingback: St. Mary’s Glacier + Raw SunKissed Chocolate Bar | Blissful Pursuit

17. Karen

Made this 3 times so far. first time I added cinnamon, 2nd time i added orange extract (yum yum) and the third time I added a bit of cayene. thanks so much for this recipe! I definitely won’t be buying any more store bought chocolate bars!!!

18. Senna

Just made a batch using mostly stevia and a hint of honey; so simple, so yummy, so healthy and so so good! Goodbye to giving into ‘chocravings’ and feeling guilty afterwards, jeey! Thank you Megan ๐Ÿ™‚

19. Pingback: Healthy Recipes from around the web | What I've learned along the way…

20. Trisha

Just made this for the first time. Tastes like the inside of the Lindt chocolate truffle balls! And just in time for Christmas – chocolate for everyone! Thanks so much for posting this recipe – love it!!

21. Maria

I made this and added lots of shredded coconut annd some pine nuts. Just lovely! Isn’t it amazing how simple one’s healthy living is! I never spend more than a few minutes cobbling together some treats that my friends all drool over, with little idea that it may actually be doing them some good!

22. Pingback: bohopunk.com | Afternoon Candy Makin’

23. Pingback: You say ‘Jump!’ (Recipe) | My Juicing Adventure

24. Jennifer

I just made this and my kids and I love it- so long store bought chocolate that is not good for. Thank you for posting this recipe. We added almonds and sprinkled with a little sea salt- YUM!!! I’m going to try adding peanut butter that someone suggested.
    Ohh, it won’t let me add 5 stars so my 4 is actually 5!!!

25. Jenn

I just made this with roasted carob powder instead of cocoa. I’ll let you know how it turns out. Maybe a good modification for the person who said chocolate gives them a headache!

26. shelli moreno

Delish! Added 6 or so drops of peppermint oil…..reminds me of a peppermint patty! Love your recipes, love this site. Thanks.

I’d assume a bitter taste would come from the brand of cocoa powder you used? Perhaps more sweetener would help, or a different brand next time.

2. Judi

make sure you aren’t using “Dutch” or any otherwise processed cocoa powder. They add alkali to counteract the natural acidity of cocoa and makes it more neutral (doesn’t bother most people, but some people have a strong bitter taste on the tongue because of this). Discovered this when my mom became “allergic” to American made chocolates, but international chocolates were fine!

27. Tayla

Hi there Megan, I was just wondering if I could substitute cacao instead of cocoa? Or would it be too strong?

I almost always use cacao and cocoa interchangeably. Feel free to use whichever you prefer!

28. Pingback: Snacking wisely | DVK for Wellness & Nutrition

29. Sharyn

I am a huge chocoholic & I just have to say this was devine. I loved the coconut flavour from the coconut oil. I am so happy to have found a recipe which enables me to have a treat which is not only healthy but delicious. Thanks again for another fantastic recipe ๐Ÿ™‚

30. myk

great recipe! i tired it and it was superb. but how can i keep these chocolate bars from melting at room temperature? as soon as i take these out, they start melting ๐Ÿ™

31. Judi

I just batch a small batch but I used coconut butter (all i had on hand, needed to warm it up a bit in the microwave), but the chocolate was amazing! I decreased the honey and added shredded coconut and raisins for sweetness! My 2 year old nephew kept asking for more!

To answer a previous poster’s question about using this as chips in baking, I think because the coconut butter is more solid at room temp than the oil, it will def hold up in cookies.

THanks for this amazing treat!

32. Pingback: The Sweetest Thing | Yogatonic

33. Pingback: 3-Ingredient Raw Chocolate - Yogatonic

34. Chris

Has anyone tried making this with Stevia? I wonder if it would work and how much Stevia you would substitute for the honey?

35. Tiffany

Megan, thank you for another DELICIOUS, easy recipe! I ended up added a little vanilla, dash of salt, unsweetened coconut and dark chocolate chips….unbelievably good!!

36. Pingback: Homemade chocolate! | The Vegaquarian Times

37. Sharon/The Quarter Inch Shop @ Etsy

Hi, Megan. I love this chocolate bark. I have made batch after batch and poured into heart shaped silicone candy/soap mold. I then froze it and removed and packaged into little packages for gifts. I just kept them cold and told the recipients it needs to stay cold! They loved them!

I have also made several with pouring a first layer of chocolate bark, freezing 10 minutes, pressing thin layer of almond butter sweetened with honey and then topping with layer of chocolate bark and freezing. Very rich.

I plan to make one that has a layer of chocolate bark, dates that have been processed into a paste, nuts and top with another layer of chocolate bark next.

However, here is my question: I tried to sub carob powder for the cocoa powder. The carob seized with my honey and i couldn’t get the melted coconut oil to ever mix in. So i just had this blob of carob/honey and the oil running around it. Is there a trick to using carob powder? My carob was Chatfields. Do i need a different brand. Everything was room temperature.

Thanks so much for all you do! I love your recipes! Sharon

38. Pingback: Christmas Chocolate Bark

39. Abby

About how many squares of chocolate does this recipe make? I’m so excited to try this I’ve tried a recipe pretty much just like this for chocolate chunks but it doesn’t work for cooking with. However, as chocolate bark I bet it’ll be delicious!! Can’t wait!!

40. Pingback: Madeira Beach, FL and Lots of Cooking! | Curls Meets World

Yes, it works well– you just have to make sure the peanut butter filling is really frozen so that the chocolate mixture hardens instantly.

41. Joan

I was looking for a recipe for just chocolate bark and was very happy to find yours. Thanks for all the great recipes and info. Smiles.

42. Debi

Mine did not come out looking like this! The mixture was very think. I replaced coconut nectar for the honey and even added a little extra to try and thin out but it wasn’t as “wet” after I mixed like in your photos. Also very hard to smooth out on to parchment paper! Any suggestions?!

1. Willow

You have to work pretty quickly because the chocolate starts to thicken and harden fast. The same thing happened to me.

43. Pingback: Your ultimate guide to raw cacao - powder, butter, nibs

44. Pingback: Jewels of the Week

I would use liquid stevia, since it would mix in more seamlessly. The amount to use is totally up to your taste buds– just taste as you go!

45. Renee

I add dry dark cherries and nuts to mine, and I also use liquid stevia instead of honey.

You can change up flavors by using flavored liquid stevia instead of honey, like peppermint liquid stevia for that fresh breeze chocolate taste..

46. Nandeta Puri

I have been trying the normal chocolate making recipe. But i don’t know why, the liquid is not solidifying.
    I used butter, milk, cocoa powder and powdered sugar and some flour. Anything wrong with the ingredient? Or should i have used powdered milk!

47. Pingback: Karkkipรคivรค: Kolmen aineksen suklaa - Elรคmรคnmakua maistelemassa

No, you need an oil that is solid when chilled. Coconut oil does that and so does real butter.

48. Sharon

I’ll have to wait until winter to make this as coconut oil is liquid from spring until the end of fall here in Phoenix!

49. Michelle

UM! This is sooooooo DELISH! I didn’t even want to wait for it to harden! Next time I’m just making the JAR of coconut oil ratio! I added raw sprouted pumpkin seeds with a pinch of salt.

50. Sheila

I just made this and I’m amazed at how easy this was. I had almost everything except for the honey but I used Stevia instead and it turned out wonderful. I’m for sure keeping this on my go to recipes.

51. Maya

This is sooo yummy!!! I added some coconut flakes and crushed almonds (or nut butter)for texture
    I put a little less honey and throw in a few goji berries๐Ÿ˜Š it’s my go to choc fixโค๏ธ

52. Jennifer

Hi. I’m looking for a chocolate chip recipe made using raw cocoa powder. I am wanting it for cooking, for cookies and such. I noticed someone commented that this would not work for cooking. Do you feel that is accurate or could this be broken into small pieces to use instead of chocolate chips?
    Thanks. Your website looks great. I’ll be looking around for more recipes! : )

Because this recipe is made with coconut oil, it will completely melt at 76 degrees. I’m not sure what that melting would do to your baked goods… you’d probably have better luck working with raw cacao butter to make the chocolate instead of coconut oil, but I haven’t tried that myself since it’s more of a specialty ingredient.

53. deanna

Hi Megan, I have a question. I use cacoa powder daily (I put 1 TBSP in my smoothies, and I eat about 1/2 of this recipe of chocolate bark each day for dessert). I just saw on the back of my organic cacoa powder bag a warning that Cadmium was in it and can cause cancer. Eeek! I was digging around on the internet, and can’t really tell what a “safe” amount is that I can consume. Was just wondering what you thought about it all? We love our cacoa powder, and I hate to give it up! Love your recipes and appreciate any insight you can give. ๐Ÿ™‚

54. deanna

Just checking back on this: ๐Ÿ™‚
    Hi Megan, I have a question. I use cacoa powder daily (I put 1 TBSP in my smoothies, and I eat about 1/2 of this recipe of chocolate bark each day for dessert). I just saw on the back of my organic cacoa powder bag a warning that Cadmium was in it and can cause cancer. Eeek! I was digging around on the internet, and canโ€™t really tell what a โ€œsafeโ€ amount is that I can consume. Was just wondering what you thought about it all? We love our cacoa powder, and I hate to give it up! Love your recipes and appreciate any insight you can give.