Grain-Free Pumpkin Bars

It’s officially pumpkin season.

Let’s celebrate with some pumpkin bars, shall we?

Pumpkin bars are perhaps my very favorite way to enjoy this seasonal squash. They have the taste and texture of pumpkin bread, but they bake faster and are much more portable!

These moist, spiced pumpkin squares are bursting with Fall flavor, as well as a hefty nutritional punch. Pumpkin is a great source of vitamins A, C, K, and E, as well as lots of minerals, including magnesium, potassium, and iron. Lightly sweetened with honey, no one will ever guess that these bars are grain-free, or that they’re any “healthier” than the traditional version!

Grain-Free Pumpkin Bars
Fills one 8″ x 8″ pan

Adapted from this recipe

1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1/2 cup almond butter
1/3 cup honey
2 eggs
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice*
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Preheat oven to 350F and grease an 8″ x 8″ pan generously with coconut oil or butter.

*Note: I like to use Pumpkin Pie Spice to make preparation as quick and simple as possible. This spice blend is widely available in most grocery stores, but you can also find it available online. If you’d prefer to use individual spices, I’d recommend using 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger, 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg and 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves to replace the 2 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice.

Transfer the batter to the greased pan, and bake at 350F for about 30 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown and the center is firm.

Allow to cool completely in the pan, then cut and serve!

These bars are delicious on their own, but if you’re aiming to impress, glaze these bars with my Maple Pecan Glaze. (<–recipe here)

Grain-Free Pumpkin Bars
Cook time:
Serves: 9-12

These moist, spiced squares are bursting with Fall flavor, perfect for serving at a party or packing as a snack. Lightly sweetened with honey, no one will ever guess that they're grain-free-- or any "healthier" than the traditional version, for that matter.
  • ½ cup pumpkin puree
  • ½ cup almond butter
  • ⅓ cup honey
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice*
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • ¼ teaspoon sea salt
  • ½ teaspoon baking soda
  1. Preheat oven to 350F and grease an 8" x 8" pan generously with coconut oil or butter.
  2. Combine all of the ingredients in a medium bowl, and mix well until a smooth batter forms.
  3. Transfer the batter to the greased pan, and bake at 350F for about 30 minutes, until the edges are golden brown and the center is firm.
  4. Allow to cool completely in the pan, then cut and serve!
  5. These bars are delicious on their own, but if you're aiming to impress, glaze these bars with my Maple Pecan Glaze. (recipe posted separately)
Notes
*Note: I like to use Pumpkin Pie Spice to make preparation as quick and simple as possible. This spice blend is widely available in most grocery stores, but you can also find it available online. If you'd prefer to use individual spices, I'd recommend using 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, ½ teaspoon ground ginger, ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg and ¼ teaspoon ground cloves to replace the 2 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice.

Enjoy!

Reader Feedback: Are you a fan of pumpkin season? If so, what’s your favorite pumpkin dish?

316 thoughts on “Grain-Free Pumpkin Bars

1. Donna O.

My husband made these for me as a treat for Thanksgiving (I’m currently doing SCD and am not ready for nut flours yet), and I just wanted to tell you they were FANTASTIC. Thank you for the wonderful “keeper” recipe. 🙂

2. Pingback: Have A Low Sugar Christmas with These Recipes!

3. Regina P

I just tasted my batch and they’re amazing! Thank you for always having such great recipes. I was wondering if you happened to have the nutritional information per serving? I followed your recipe exactly. Thanks again,
    Cheers!

4. Pingback: {Grain free pumpkin slice for dummies} | Delicious Health

5. Pingback: Grain-Free Pumpkin Bars | Best Recipes

6. Vanessa

I just made these without the spice and added some chocolate cocoa powder. I also switched it to mini muffins and they came out great! Like a little mini cupcake. =) Thanks for the recipe!

7. Pingback: Chai Chia Seed Pudding (paleo, gluten-free, low-carb, LCHF) | Finding the Healthy Road

8. Pingback: GRAIN FREE PUMPKIN BARS | ESPACE RUNNING

9. Kate

I just watched you on Hallmark…I know a star! You were great, seemed very much at ease, despite the 40-11 people all talking to you at once! This is so exciting…I’m SO glad I found you! You’ve made my journey into a healthier lifestyle a piece of cake! (pun intended) gigglesnort! Thank you, Megan 🙂

Yes it is! You’re smart to keep it on hand– I can’t find canned pumpkin ANYWHERE right now. It’s in high demand!

10. rose

OH. MY. PUMPKIN. these are sooooooOooOOoo good!!! Perfectly moist and perfectly pumpkiny. And the glaze?! I died and went to maple pecan heaven. I didnt have any coconut oil (I was at work ok) so I used almond milk instead of the water and it was SOoOOooo yummy and creamy and healthy?! Thank you for thus recipe I will DEFINITELY be making these again….tomorrow…. 😉

11. Niki

Megan, my son has chrons and I use your site daily! Thank you for following your heart and mission.
    This recipe along with countless others are AMAZING! Don’t know what I would do without this site and your cookbook!!!!!!

12. Jen

This recipe sounds amazing! I’d like to make it vegan, can an egg substitute be used? Sometimes egg subs don’t always work well when doing a grain-free recipe so thought I’d ask. Thanks in advance!

13. Barbara

These were really good. I didn’t change anything & they turned out great. I will be making again. I do have a question, do you think I could use sugar free pumpkin spice syrup for the honey? Thanks for a winner.

14. Lizinca

My family loves these. I always double it and use a 13″ x 9″ Pyrex to bake them. Check them early, mine are usually done at about 28 minutes. Thanks for such an amazing recipe.

15. Cindy

I just made these and they are great! Even without the glaze, which I will make when they cool. I do have a question for those substituting banana. Are you replacing the pumpkin or honey with the banana? I think the banana and honey together would be too sweet. How would I correct that?

1. Elizabeth

I would love to know the answer to the banana question! I may try subbing banana for the honey today and I will let you know if I do. I have three very ripe bananas just begging to be baked. Oh and Detoxinista, thank you for this recipe! I have made a kuzillion batches of it. I like to use a mix of PB, almond butter and sunbutter. I’ve never made the glaze, they’re so sweet and yummy without it. And I bake it in cupcake tins. They Hulk out on us (the inside turns green) from the chemical reaction but no one every complains! Delicious!

16. Patti

These were great.!!! Mine didn’t even last the day my neighbors all loved them. I will definitely be making these again. Can you freeze these?.

17. Annette

Oh my it’s in the heat of July I just made these. I am a cookie freak and missing anything close on day 75 Scd. Thank you…I am searching for anything I can after I cried thinking I’d never eat again.