Grain-Free Pumpkin Bars

It’s officially pumpkin season.

Let’s celebrate with some pumpkin bars, shall we?

Pumpkin bars are perhaps my very favorite way to enjoy this seasonal squash. They have the taste and texture of pumpkin bread, but they bake faster and are much more portable!

These moist, spiced pumpkin squares are bursting with Fall flavor, as well as a hefty nutritional punch. Pumpkin is a great source of vitamins A, C, K, and E, as well as lots of minerals, including magnesium, potassium, and iron. Lightly sweetened with honey, no one will ever guess that these bars are grain-free, or that they’re any “healthier” than the traditional version!

Grain-Free Pumpkin Bars
Fills one 8″ x 8″ pan

Adapted from this recipe

1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1/2 cup almond butter
1/3 cup honey
2 eggs
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice*
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Preheat oven to 350F and grease an 8″ x 8″ pan generously with coconut oil or butter.

*Note: I like to use Pumpkin Pie Spice to make preparation as quick and simple as possible. This spice blend is widely available in most grocery stores, but you can also find it available online. If you’d prefer to use individual spices, I’d recommend using 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger, 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg and 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves to replace the 2 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice.

Transfer the batter to the greased pan, and bake at 350F for about 30Β minutes, or until the edges are golden brown and the center is firm.

Allow to cool completely in the pan, then cut and serve!

These bars are delicious on their own, but if you’re aiming to impress, glaze these bars with my Maple Pecan Glaze. (<–recipe here)

Grain-Free Pumpkin Bars
Cook time:
Serves: 9-12

These moist, spiced squares are bursting with Fall flavor, perfect for serving at a party or packing as a snack. Lightly sweetened with honey, no one will ever guess that they're grain-free-- or any "healthier" than the traditional version, for that matter.
  • ½ cup pumpkin puree
  • ½ cup almond butter
  • ⅓ cup honey
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice*
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • ¼ teaspoon sea salt
  • ½ teaspoon baking soda
  1. Preheat oven to 350F and grease an 8" x 8" pan generously with coconut oil or butter.
  2. Combine all of the ingredients in a medium bowl, and mix well until a smooth batter forms.
  3. Transfer the batter to the greased pan, and bake at 350F for about 30 minutes, until the edges are golden brown and the center is firm.
  4. Allow to cool completely in the pan, then cut and serve!
  5. These bars are delicious on their own, but if you're aiming to impress, glaze these bars with my Maple Pecan Glaze. (recipe posted separately)
Notes
*Note: I like to use Pumpkin Pie Spice to make preparation as quick and simple as possible. This spice blend is widely available in most grocery stores, but you can also find it available online. If you'd prefer to use individual spices, I'd recommend using 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, ½ teaspoon ground ginger, ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg and ¼ teaspoon ground cloves to replace the 2 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice.

Enjoy!

Reader Feedback: Are you a fan of pumpkin season? If so, what’s your favorite pumpkin dish?

Hi, I’m Megan. A former fast food junkie turned certified nutritionist consultant, trying to make healthy living as easy as possible. I believe in eating delicious whole foods on a regular basis to help naturally support the body’s detox organsβ€” no juice fasting required. (Unless you want to!) If you make one of my healthy recipes, tag @detoxinista on Instagram or Facebook so I can see!

320 thoughts on “Grain-Free Pumpkin Bars

Hi Tanya! I prefer to keep my baking grain-free lately, so almonds make a great nutrient-dense substitute for flours, without sacrificing the texture of traditional baked goods. Almond flour can be a bit pricey, so I’ve been leaning towards using almond butter for convenience and accessibility.

Even if you cut these bars into 9 large squares, each one will contain less than a tablespoon of almond butter, which I don’t think is unreasonably heavy.

1. The Gluten Free Girl

Hi Megan,
        I’m allergic to all kinds of nuts. Is there a substitute that I can use?

Thanks,
        The Gluten Free Girl

2. Cynthia

Megan,

You are absolutely correct. I love your recipes as I am strictly SCD for celiac. I found that the nut flours, particularly almond flour (even the blanched) is difficult to digest, whereas the butters are a piece of cake! Please keep on with the nut butter recipes…and ditto on properly combining them..it does make a fantastic difference!

1. Colleen B

Cynthia,

Have you tried doing your own almond flour using soaked almonds? Nuts, seeds, legumes and grains all are difficult to digest because of thy phytic acid and phytates. I suspect that is even more difficult for someone whose gut is compromised (as most of ours are!) I soak my almonds in salt water and then dehydrate them. Then you can turn them into anything…flour, butter, or just eat them!! Sadly, I have yet to find a soaked almond flour on the market…and if you did it would likely be very expensive. Just an idea!!

Colleen B.

1. CML

Just cut a sugar pumpkin (best for making puree) in half, scoop out the seeds and roast, cut side down, on a greased baking sheet for about 45-55 minutes in a 375F oven. Scoop out the pumpkin with a large spoon and puree in a food processor or blender. Voila, pumpkin puree.

1. Lauren

I think I could eat that glaze all by itself! These are such a decadent treat….I’ll definitely have to try these out! I’m so happy to have found your blog and your delicious recipes. I’ve looked forward to reading it each day. I was wondering if you have a particular diet you follow (i.e. paleo, vegan, etc.). I noticed you don’t use grains in your cooking… Have a great day!

I think I have eaten that glaze all by myself. πŸ˜‰

In regards to diet, I don’t follow any particular plan. I’ve experimented with LOTS of stuff over the years (Paleo, vegan, vegetarian, Candida-cleansing, etc.) and prefer to simply focus on eating whole foods that make me feel good. I’ve learned that I feel my best when I keep my meals fairly simple and properly combined, though that doesn’t always happen at EVERY meal.

Since cutting out grains earlier this year, I haven’t had much desire to add them back in. That’s not to say I’ll never have them again, but for now, I’m enjoying the grain-free baking!

2. Becky from MI

I love anything pumpkin and usually make a lot of traditional pumpkin bread…can’t wait to try this version! Going to add chopped pecans into the batter and skip the glaze, although it looks yummy, trying to cut a few calories HA!

3. laura

OOOOH, yum! I am so glad it’s pumpkin season! I could eat pumpkin every day. And, thank goodness it’s almost past zucchini season. Love it, but overdid it.

4. jeanne

These look amazing, I can’t wait to make!! I may have to wait until the weather cools down to turn on the oven…it’s supposed to be 105 today, where is fall?!?

5. Wendy

I just made these Megan- they turned out so delicious!!! I just subbed stevia for the honey since I had none in the house- they turned out perfect!

1. Debbie

Wendy,
      How much stevia (and which brand) did you use? I’m trying to use Stevia more and I’m not sure how to sub it in for recipes. Thanks!

6. Pingback: Marvelous in my Monday!

7. [email protected]

These look delicious….can’t wait to give them a try!! I love all things pumpkin and have been indulging in pumpkin pancakes for a week now. πŸ˜‰

8. Melissa @ Fit 'N' Well Mommy

These bars look SO good! I’m a pumpkin fanatic. I actually stock up on pumpkin butter in the fall, so it will last me all year! I love anything with pumpkin, but my favorite dish is probably pumpkin bread pudding! I made one with a caramel sauce for Thanksgiving last year and it was SOOOO good!

BTW, I just stumbled upon your blog and I love it! All of your recipes look so good. I can’t wait to read more!

9. Jennifer

I absolutely love your site! I have made these bars ( they are cooling in. Y kitchen as I type this response ) and the almond butter freezer fudge (twice !) the frozen banana peanut butter bites, and the macadamia freezer fudge! Can u tell I love sweets! I love all the recipes and my favorite part is ” What I ate” Wednesday . I love seeing what other eat in a day, it inspires me to eat healthy and gives me ideas!

10. morgan

I just made these, and it never solidified. It is like a gelatinous pudding – tasty, but far from bars. Maybe it’s because I used flax as an egg replacer?

11. D2licious

Holy Cow! We had these this weekend and they were absolutely amazing! I can’t believe how moist and delicious. I’m not a huge “crust” fan and I would easily substitute these for pumpkin pie any time…..

12. Pingback: Pumpkin Pancakes (Grain free, Refined sugar free) « What Cheryl Eats

1. Bridget

I tried these using roasted, salted almond butter from Trader Joe’s (what I had) and they were good, but I think they’d be better with the raw version as the almond butter flavor took over and you couldn’t taste much of the pumpkin flavor (the best part!) Megan, do you add salt because your almond butter is unsalted?

13. Peggy

I am about a year into being gluten free, and only a few months into being grain free, and this was one of my first grain free baking experiments (and the first one that was successful…). I made them with banana like the commenter above, and I can’t believe how good they are–I thought I had given up eating things like this! I can’t wait to try with pumpkin, and your other recipes too! Thanks πŸ™‚

14. Courtney

I just made these! They are awesome, and so easy. You are a genius! Now we are going to make your peanut butter cookies. Charlotte and I are on a roll.

15. Julie

Hi Megan. I made these today but used a 6-count donut pan instead of an 8×8 pan and there were absolutely delicious! Surprisingly light and so dang, tasty, even without the yummy-looking topping. Thanks for an awesome recipe!

16. Stephanie

I made this on Sunday and it was gone by Monday morning! I didn’t have almond butter so I used cashew butter instead and it turned out really well. I skipped the glaze and added dark chocolate chips instead πŸ™‚ It was similar to your Peanut Butter Blondies only more cake-like and less “fudgy”. Both are my new favorite baked goods! Thank you!

17. Julie (A Case of the Runs)

I finally got around to making this (I never keep almond butter at home — don’t really like the taste on its own), using chunky almond butter, which actually added a nice crunch to the final product. I didn’t make any topping and just cut them into small squares for “freezer snacks.”

18. Isabella

Hi Megan! I’m also a big fan of your website – I have a lot of food sensitivities so your recipes are a welcome change to the boring old stuff I’m used to. I was wondering if you’ve ever tried using white beans instead of almond butter for this recipe? I love it so much(and want to make it all the time) I was thinking using white beans might work similarly and be cheaper than the almond butter?

I don’t eat many beans, as they don’t seem to digest as easily in my system, but I’d love to hear if you have any success with trying them out! They’d definitely be an affordable alternative. πŸ˜‰

Yes, I’m sure you can! Sea salt has slightly more “bang for its buck”– meaning less sodium and more flavor– but, I think regular salt will work just fine.

19. Lauren

I made these bars a few days ago and they were awesome! We all totally loved them. Such a nice pumpkin treat for those of us who are grain free (and even those that aren’t!). Thanks for an awesome recipe!

20. Jen

Megan, thanks for this recipe. It’s the first one that led me to your site and now I want to make almost everything! πŸ˜‰

I made these and they were so good with the topping. I think I might triple or quadruple the recipe and make it into a layer cake! I think it would totally work! And I bet that would be sooo good with the banana version, too.

Keep posting; you’re my new recipe hero! πŸ˜‰

21. Senna

Mouthwatering recipes πŸ™‚ Love your website!
    Since almond butter is not a commonly used product here in the Netherlands and therefore hard to find/very expensive, I was wondering if it’s possible to replace it for regular (of course organic) butter?
    Thank you!

No, butter will not work as a substitute for almond butter. Any other nut butters available to you? Peanut butter, sunflower seed butter, etc. would all work for creating a fluffy texture, though the flavor may vary depending on which you use.

1. Senna

Thank you for your reply and suggestions! Using peanutbutter sounds promising too πŸ™‚ Though I have a softer spot for almonds, taste wise and health benefits and luckily in the meantime I came across your recipe for making your own almondbutter…. What a helpfull, delightfull and lovely website this is <3! Two big thumbs UP

22. CindyLoo

Smelled fantastic baking, can’t believe there is no traditional flour. Awesome! I added chia to give it a little fluff and fiber. I made vanilla bean banana ice cream was delish! Great day in the kitchen with you, thanks for inspiration.

23. Pingback: Pumpkin Nut Butter Bars with Cashew Cream | But Lauren, then what do you eat?

24. Pingback: Food & Relief Friday: Pumpkin Bars With Maple Pecan Glaze & The Only Battle You Need to Win « free to be courageous

25. Jenn

I just made these, and they are absolutely amazing. I had to sub baking powder for baking soda (just tripled the amount), and they were still fabulous.

26. Rebekah

I just made these with the leftover pumpkin puree I used for the pumpkin spice latte. They are AMAZING!!! I made the maple pecan glaze to go on top too. Yum!

27. Bronwyn

Just had to say that I made these last night and they are TO DIE FOR! I will make them again and again. This is officially my new favourite site πŸ™‚

28. Michelle Francesca

I have multiple food allergies and am loving your sight! These bars were delicious! I took them to work and they were gobbled up while the lowly, gluten filled cinnamon buns were completely ignored lol. Question: I made the maple pecan glaze but it came out quite grainy and was more like icing. Still delicious but not beautiful glaze you managed to achieve. I’m still saving up for a Vita-Mix so I used a high-speed food processor. Would adding more coconut oil smooth it out a bit ?

Hmm… I’ve never tried making it in my food processor. I assume adding a little more liquid would help it blend better. Hope it works!

No, I think 5 spice has more pepper to it. Pumpkin pie spice is typically a blend of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cloves (or allspice, depending on the brand).

29. Alicia

These looks SO yummy…If I wanted to use almond flour instead of butter, would you recommend using more, less or leaving it at 1/2 cup?

I recommend using a free calorie counting website, like FitDay.com, to calculate the calories in my recipes. Add in all of the ingredients, and you should be able to calculate the calories per serving from there!

30. Jenni

Made these today and they turned out great! I made a few adjustments… didn’t have almond butter so I used pumpkin seed butter which worked quite well, I am allergic to eggs so I used 6 quail eggs instead, and then used raw agave syrup in place of the honey.
    Delicious! Thanks!

1. The Gluten Free Girl

I’m allergic to eggs too Jenni and was looking for a substitute for eggs. But I never tried quail eggs but definitely will try it.

31. Kathy

thank you for a wonderful web site with amazing recipes, and details.
    We made several of your grain free muffins and they were delightful.

32. Tricia

These are amazing! I think these are my new favorite grain free treat! I couldn’t wait to wake up this morning and have a pumpkin bar with maple pecan glaze and my cup of coffee…perfect fall morning! Thanks for a keeper recipe.

33. Shelie

I have made these and the pumpkin muffins using cashew butter and sun butter (my son has a nut allergy) and they both work just as good. I LOVE all your grain free treats!!!!!!

34. A

How much liquid stevia would you use to replace the honey/do you need to increase the liquid in the recipe? Can you use chia egg replacer? Thanks?

1. Megan @ The Detoxinista

The stevia amount is totally up to you– I usually add it by the dropperful, and taste the batter as I go. Make it a little sweeter than you think it should be, because some of the sweetness is reduced when baking stevia.

In my experience, chia and flax eggs don’t work well with brownies and bars. The result is gooey! I’d recommend trying Ener-G egg replacer instead. (I haven’t tried it myself, but I’ve heard good things.)

35. Ford

I made these yesterday and they were gone within 24 hours. I ate the whole batch! Then I felt guilty but did not beat myself up too badly for doing so. Proceed with caution, highly addictive!

36. Pingback: Benefits of Pumpkin | GOtheXtraMile

37. Pingback: Grain Free Pumpkin Bars « Traditional Food & Natural Home

38. jo

Hi! I made these and they tasted great but then this happened… We put the leftovers (about half the batch) in the fridge and the next afternoon the entire thing was dark green. Do we think I did something wrong here? I used sunflower butter instead of almond and did the spices individually but those were the only changes. I can’t think of what would cause that. Bad pumpkin? is that a thing?

It’s the sunflower seed butter! Sunflower seeds react to baking soda, making baked goods turn green. I’ve heard that it’s safe to eat, though! I was actually planning on using sunflower butter to make some green St. Patty’s Day treats next year. πŸ˜‰

1. jo

Okay, that’s a kind of awesome fact to learn! I was tempted to taste it because nothing about it seemed “off” – it was just green (a perfect St. Patty’s shade btw) I always forget that baking, is much more scientific than cooking- much more possibility for reactions in stuff. Thank you so much for getting back to me!

2. The Gluten Free Girl

I love sun butter and use it on bread,as a substitute for nut butters,anything. Got one question though , can i use soy butter as a substitute for almond butter?

Thanks for this recipe,
        The Gluten Free Girl

39. Pingback: Food for Traveling » Existential Evolution

40. Christy Dennis

I made these this weekend for a holiday party, and NO ONE THERE could IMAGINE that they were flourless! They came out PERFECT and EVERYONE was blown away!

Amazing recipe…and proof that when you know what you’re doing you can have both HEALTHY and DELICIOUS!

41. Kari

Just made these as a trial because I need to take a dozen of something to a concert reception. They are great! And I’m so glad to have something tasty to serve as a healthy alternative to all the junk they will be serving. Thank you!

You can use a free website, such as FitDay.com, to calculate any nutrition information you might need. Simply add in all the ingredients and divide by the number of servings to calculate each bar.

42. Martha

Dear Megan,
    I love your blog and your recipes. And I should never open this page if I’m hungry πŸ™‚
    I tried this and few other deserts and I loved them all. And I found do it your self butters very useful.
    Thank you for your effort, here I find some true culinary inspiration.
    Best regards from southeast Europe.

43. Shirley

This is the 3rd batch I’ve made of these and I can’t get enough. I did note that on my 3rd batch, I actually mixed everything in my new VitaMix blender and it made all the difference in the finished product. While the first 2 batches were absolutely delicious, they did have a “pie filling” texture and consistency. When compared to the 3rd “blenderized” batch, it gave me the unbelievably perfect, moist and spongy bar you want. I can’t believe how delicious and addictive they are! Thank you Megan!!!

44. Caitlin Tull

I was SO SO SO glad to run across your website tonight. I was looking at a “healthy dessert blog” that was anything but to me and really bothering me. I made these tonight. (Okay, the hubs did for me..) and they were so delicious. I made them with peanut butter, and you couldn’t taste the pumpkin at all, which was fine with me. VERY yummy. Thanks for the great site! πŸ™‚

45. Pingback: These are a few of my favorite (Healthy Sweet Treats) Things… | This American Mama

46. Crista Cady

I made a batch of these and took them with me to share with family in Berkeley over Christmas. I whipped up the maple glaze and we ate them warm with coffee one morning – everyone raved about them! You are a genius! πŸ™‚

47. jeff

Hi. Do you have nutritional information for this recipe? It is really good and I’m just curious on calories, carbs, etc.
    Thanks!

48. Pingback: Why I love vegan baking | Levels

49. Cara Halvorson

I made this with squash instead of pumpkin and they turned out just great (and my family hates squash)! They were delicious and we alll could hardly believe that this was grain-free. Yummy!

50. Erin

My 5 year old son and I just made these & ate the entire pan within 10 minutes. Yikes! Great recipe– thank you much!! Have been craving pumpkin bars yet not a fan of all the sugar and flour. Love that these are properly combined as well. :o)

51. Lisa

WOW, very nice! I made this tonight & had it for dessert.
    I am so in love with the Maple Pecan Glaze! Simply amazing!
    Thank You!!

52. Kathy

Just made these pumpkin bars with the maple pecan glaze over the weekend. Absolutely delicious. It is hard to believe they are grain free. And, list others’ posts have mentioned the maple pecan glaze is to die for. You are talented!

53. jennifer mc

i just made these and they are fantastic! i cut them up and put them in the freezer and they are perfect. i just take it out a few minutes before wanting to eat it. i didn’t even try the glaze and i think they are perfect!! thank you!!!!!

54. Adelle

I made these last night and they were delicious! I haven’t had a pumpkin desert since going gluten free several years ago. Thanks for the great recipe! I didn’t use the maple glaze. That would probably make them even more delicious. πŸ™‚

55. Gal

Just made these last night and they are amazing! Even my daughter asked for a second one… And that is without the maple glaze! The consistency is perfect – a cross between pumpkin bread and the filling in pumpkin pie. Delish!

56. Michelle

Hi- I love your recipes, but some of them, like the ‘Maple Pecan Glaze’ and others, will not open for me. I have Windows 7 and can access most of your site.

Hmmm… I have no idea why that would happen! It’s working perfectly fine for me in Firefox, so I’d recommend trying a different browser or clearing your browser’s cache, so see if that helps. I’m not a tech-wizard, so re-starting a computer or browser is usually my go-to solution! πŸ™‚

57. Claudia

Hi
    So glad I found your blog! I am trying your pizza recipe tonight and want to make these as well but do not want to use honey. How much trivia or xylitol would u recommend? I am confused because I will be substituting with dry ingredients. Thank you!

Unfortunately, I can’t comment on how to modify the recipes if I haven’t tried it myself. You’ll have to experiment and let us know if you have any success!

58. Kim

I can’t wait to make these but I am wondering if anyone had had success with an egg substitute so we can make these vegan. Would love any suggestions!

59. NoΓ©mi

Oh my god!!!! these took me to heaven! Mine also turned green because I used sunbutter, but they are sooooooo soft and tasty! Used 50g of dates made into a paste with a little soaking water instead of honey, they added just the right amount of sweetness, maybe even too sweet for my taste. Also added home made unsweetened dark chocolate chunks to it, and whipped up a banana-pumpkin-cocoa-yogurt cream to top it. I devoured half of the whole batch for my first and second breakfasts…
    Thank you so much for sharing this recipe!

Cheers from Hungary,

NoΓ©mi

60. natalie

These are sooooo good. Made them and doubled the recipe so it was higher cake and it was superb. Very moist. I didn’t even make the glaze. Didn’t have to!! Be careful they are addictive!

61. Julia

I love these and have been making them for awhile. We are in a tight financial state right now so I increased the pumpkin to 3/4 cup and reduced the almond butter to 1/4 cup to save on costs. It works out great and makes them even more moist. My chidren have been gobbling them up. Our family is on a Candida cleanse right now and so many of your recipies have been helpful and made it easier to get through. Thanks so much.

62. Cgirl

I am vegan so I used a sub for the eggs. I eat VERY clean. If you eat super clean I do not recommend this recipe. They are unimaginably oily with the maple glaze. I’ll put it this way..my stomach is making so many noises I absolutely will not leave the house now. I’m just way to clean for this one due to the amount of oil.

63. Brenda

This are soooo delicious!! The texture is wonderful & as you said, no one would ever guess that they are grain-free or a healthy food. I’m so happy to have this recipe & look forward to making them again & again. I love that they mixed up in the time it took the oven to preheat!

64. Leanita

I made these yesterday with orange sweet potatoes (my Caribbean heritage men’s that I grew up with the white variety!), as I didn’t have pumpkin and they were SO delish, especially with that wonderful glaze! Lots of love from London Town! Five stars!

65. Pingback: Chill. | ZigoZago Craft

66. Pingback: Let me share my thoughts… | Scientifically Delicious

67. Joyce

These are absolutely delicious!! I am new to the grain free world and was wondering what I was going to eat. I found your website through a search on almond flour. Thank you for all of these delicious recipes!

68. Brittany

These are simply amazing! Oh my goodness! I could eat the whole pan and the sauce myself! Hubs absolutely loves it, and says it’s one of the best desserts I’ve made! Thanks so much for sharing! Now to figure out the calorie count to see if consuming half the pan will be that bad… hehe πŸ˜‰

69. Brittany

Just saw your post regarding nutritional information! I don’t normally count calories either actually, but these are so good I guess I just wanted some “control” over my intake haha. Thank you again! πŸ™‚ Hubs wants a seconds already!

70. Penny

Do I need to do anything special to substitute maple syrup for the honey?
    Have you heard anything about the rumor that honey is not good for you when it is heated?
    Thanks!

71. Theresa

we said, “WOW!”. The best dessert ever! Well, there’s always chocolate…what a great treat. I doubled recipe today. Used a 9 x13, took 10 min. Longer.

72. Chantal

We live out in the sticks and I have to get creative with ingredients pretty often.I’d like to make these for Mothers Day but if I used a natural peanut butter would those flavors combine alright? Or if I used a homemade pecan butter would that add too much oil to the bar?

73. lisa

Wow, these pumpkin bars are to die for. πŸ™‚ Thanks for sharing, i will definitely be trying out this over the weekend.

74. Lori

Megan,
    I’m always skeptical when it come to “clean” eating, but I made these bars today (05/17/13) and all I can say is WOW!! They are delicious. I am excited to try may of your other recipes since I am going completely dairy, soy, gluten, corn, and peanut free; di you know that peanuts are not a “true” nut, they are legumes.
    Do you by chance have any nutritional value on these and the maple glaze?
    Lori

75. MelanΓ© Fahner

A winner again Megan. And we didn’t even like pumpkin pie:-). I ran out of honey so subst. with half maple syrup half coconut sugar and it is stunning! No need for a glaze this is just so more-ish and like this rests easy on the weight conscience…

76. Lindsay

I love this recipe too, and make little muffins out of it for my daughters lunch box, just the pain of making almond butter that makes it harder than it needs to be, but then i rathre make my own almond butter than have to pay the price in the shops for a small little jar. Any non dairy substitute ideas for the almond butter?

1. The Gluten Free Girl

You can use sunflower seed butter or soy butter. (I use a kind called wow butter). Hope this helps.

I’m not sure what you mean by that… like a bread pudding? Or you want to not bake it, and eat it as a pudding?

1. The Gluten Free Girl

Hi Megan,
        Someone mentioned that they made the bars and it turned out a bit like a gelatinous pudding. Can Serve it like that?

Thanks,
        The Gluten Free Girl

They shouldn’t turn out like a pudding, but if for some reason they do, they’d still be perfectly delicious!

77. The Gluten Free Girl

Hi Megan,
    Can I use homemade caramel instead of the maple pecan glaze as I am allergic to nuts?

Thanks,
    The Gluten Free Girl

PS.Five star recipe

78. Diane

these were delicious….but, how do I get my glaze right? I’m here in Houston and the coconut oil is either rock hard in the fridge or completely liquid in the pantry, so my glaze was runny, even after I put it in the fridge to thicken up. How does one keep the coconut oil ‘softened’? Also, I’m eating baked goods daily from recipes on this site that I’m eating more sweets via maple syrup and honey than I should! Has anyone experimented with dissolved dates as a sweetner as a way of reducing the honey/syrup? (you put them in boiling water with a bit of baking soda and wait until the whole thing is a gooey, sweet consistency…would be a good sub for brown sugar).

If I store the glaze in the fridge, I usually let it soften-up by placing it on top of my oven while it’s warm. You could also briefly place it inside the oven until it just starts to melt around the edges, then stir it well to soften the whole batch.

I’ve never tried working with date syrup as a honey replacement, but let us know if you have any success!

79. Jillian

I am looking forward to making these, I love the simplicity of them! I am vegan so I was wondering if it would work with “egg whites” (made from boiling water with 1/3c of flax seeds) since it has an almost identical texture as egg whites. I’m curious to know your thoughts on this before I try, you seem like a pro at this healthy baking!

80. Marla

Thanks for sharing this recipe! The cake turned out to have a very light cake-like texture and tasted amazing. Instead of the pecan glaze, I served it with whipped coconut cream. Love your blog – keep up the good work!

81. Abby

I made these tonight and they looked like they were going to be delicious. However, they turned GREEN! My husband tried them and said they tasted good, but what on earth would make them green? I used a brand new jar of sun butter instead of the almond butter but that was the only change. I was trying to make something for my son to take to school tomorrow for a treat. I ended up having to make the protein bars instead. They are freezing now. I hope they aren’t green too!
    Thanks,
    Abby

Sunflower butter has a chemical reaction with baking soda, so it will always turn your baked goods green! But, it’s totally safe to eat. πŸ™‚

82. Jenn

Hey I love your site, it’s great! I am currently doing a thirty day program called the whole thirty. Now technically on this program you are not supposed to replace sweets with healthier sweets, but I was having a get together so needed to make something. I made these with the following changes and they were awesome!
    -organic pumpkin
    -homemade organic almond butter
    -organic coconut oil
    -organic pecans
    -organic walnuts
    -organic raisins
    -cinnamon
    -pumpkin pie spice
    -Himalayan sea salt
    -chia egg
    -baking soda
    Then after baking them and they cooled put in the freezer and whipped up some coconut whip cream for on top.. Vegan, dairy free and fan-frigin-tastic…
    Well let me say thanks πŸ˜‰

83. ckDesigner

Thank you for giving this non-baker a successful and delicious pumpkin recipe that was so easy to make. The undeniable aroma of fall carried through my house and made two busy little girls drop what they were doing on their play date to find the source. I didn’t make the glaze, so I wasn’t expecting the kids to rate them as highly as they did. The visiting child asked me to give her mom the recipe! The only revision on my end was to add a handful of chopped, toasted pecans to the mix. Excellent! Not too sweet and the perfect texture. Can’t wait to try more of your recipes!

84. Pingback: Pumpkin Bars | The oven diaries

85. Beth

I just made these, soooo yummy!!! I added some raw cacao powder to the mix(approx. 1/4 c). I could probably eat the whole pan.

86. Pingback: Vegan Baking Tips | Exceptional Eating

87. Pingback: Pumpkin Bars with Honey Cream Cheese | Blame It On the Grain

88. Pingback: What Makes It Hard to Stay on Track? | The FFIT Life

89. Nicole

Made these and they tasted great but they turned blue green over the course of the day. I found out that sun nut butter turns baked goods green because of the acid in the seeds. FYI it happens when using sunbutter :/

1. The Gluten Free Girl

Yes, you can but sunflower seed butter makes it green but you can use soy butter(I use a kind called wow butter. The company’s name).

90. Pingback: Pumpkin Pie Green Smoothie + Pumpkin Recipe Roundup | Hummusapien

91. Pingback: A Roundup of 50 Healthy Halloween Treats | Hungry Healthy Girl

92. Pingback: EAT: Just make and EAT… | Reminder that benefits all...

93. Usha

These are so easy to make and taste amazing..I substituted agave for honey ..love this recipe!! Thank you Thank you !!!

94. Laura

Mind = blown. I made these yesterday and they were quite simply the easiest, moistest, fastest and tastiest pumpkin-themed fall treat I have EVER made. I used agave in stead of honey but otherwise to a tee.

95. Pingback: Stone Soup – Throwing it all together | Who's running this place anyway?

96. Pingback: Paleo Pumpkin Quiche, A Gluten Free, Grain Free, Quiche of Awesomeness β€” The Tomato Tart

97. Kathy

I’m so glad I stumbled across your website! It has just dawned on me that grain free is the way to go. I made these grain free pumpkin bars to take to our Bible study group but also wanted some for a weekend in out motorhome. So, I increased the recipe to fit two 9 X 11 X 2 inch glass baking dishes hoping for the best. I wound up quadrupling the recipe and am very pleased with how easy it was to make these. Everyone at our Bible study loved these. They each had two generous helpings of 2 X 4 inch rectangles! One gentleman even used a clean fork to scrape the bottom of the dish and put all the crumbs on his plate! Did they know it was a grain free healthy recipe? Well, they didn’t ask so I didn’t tell. On our “camping” trip in the motorhome, my brother, daughter and son-in-law loved these as well. Thanks for all your recipes and tips. You don’t know what a blessing you are to others. May God bless you and yon family,

98. Dee

I just made these & they are fabulous! I can’t believe how light & fluffy they are. I have removed grains from my diet as well & it’s so hard to find a dessert that is good & not so dense. These hit the nail on the head. Everything I want out of a dessert. Thank you so much!

99. Pingback: Pumpkin Bars with Spiced Whipped Cream | Bloom & Nourish

100. Shari

I accidentally put a whole cup of almond butter and used maple syrup in lieu of honey (I started out making the pumpkin pie cookies and then I accidentally switched to this one when I meant to just peak at your substitution for pumpkin pie spice LOL). Regardless, they were wonderful. The whole fam loved them. I used the self-ground almond butter from sprouts. Thanks for your site. I love the simplicity of your recipes.

101. Sharma

Love these pumpkin bars! Took them to a potluck and everyone loved them. Thank you so much for making grain-free tasty and scrumptious!

102. Becca

These look delicious and I would love to try this recipe! But, I am confused about how these adhere to food combining principles. Will you please explain? As far as I understand, nut butters belong to the “nuts and seeds” category while eggs are “protein” and pumpkin puree is “starch.” Please enlighten me! Thanks in advance!

You’re right! These are not properly combined, so like most grain-free baked goods, they fall into what I consider the “special occasion” category. πŸ™‚

103. Kat

I am on a quest for healthful food that doesn’t taste like “health food” and you, dear Megan, have made my day!!!!

I just made this incredibly delicious recipe for the pumpkin bars, topped with your maple pecan topping…

And all I can say, is OMG!!! This was so easy, so so tasty, and such a treat! I can’t wait to dig into your other recipe goodies here on your site. (first in the queue is the cauliflower pizza, the mint chip ice cream, and the raw cheesecake)

The bars came out fluffy fluffy, light, moist, just delish! 3 of us downed about 1/2 the pan… in minutes! πŸ˜€ The maple pecan topping was not only a breeze to make, but just the right amount of decadent sweetness to add to these already fabulous bars.

This is “health food”?? I’m in, kids, I’m in!

Your recipes are ideal for me. They don’t call for 20,000 ingredients, they utilize what is easily obtainable, and they fit into a healthful lifestyle, be it food combining, or just eating wholesome foods.

My regards, cheers, respect, and thanks!!!

K~

PS. Anyone else get the taste of pancakes with these?

104. Salena

I tried this the other night and LOVED it. I baked mine in a pie tin instead, and it came out just like “crustless” pie! I was so nervous that it would be hard to find SF GF Vegan alternatives for myself for this holiday season, but I think it will be a great substitute and the perfect way to show my family that eating healthy tastes great! Thanks a lot, I love your blog and have gotten all my co-workers into it as well! Keep it up! More!! πŸ™‚

1. Carrie

I used date puree. Worked great. The puree was about the consistency of peanut butter. Im going to try it with tamarind paste next.

105. Pingback: Grain-Free Pumpkin Squares

106. Kelly

I have made these twice now and both times they turned bright green when they cooled. Has this happened to anyone else and/or what in the world could this be??? I ate them warm and they tasted great but didn’t think I should eat spirulina-colored bars!

Are you using sunflower butter instead of almond butter? Sunflower butter has a chemical reaction with baking soda that turns baked goods green. Otherwise, I have no idea why that would happen!

107. Amelia - Pulito e Saporito

I made these today and they were delicious! I didn’t have enough almond butter, so I subbed half with sunflower butter and they kept the nice orange color and were delicious! Even my bf who isn’t into pumpkin loved them πŸ™‚

108. chrissy

Oh my gosh were these the best moistest (is that a word) bars I’ve every made. Made one day and gone the next. And they’re so good when you put butter on them. I’m going to use this recipe as my base now for other bars minus the pumpkin pie spice. I used maple syrup instead of honey and decreased the amount a bit since maple syrup is a bit sweeter than honey in my opinion. Next time I’ll add chocolate chips, cranberries, orange zest, etc.

Thanks so much for such a great recipe.

109. Carrie

Just tried these. Awesome! However, I substituted sunflower seed butter for almond butter and date puree for honey. Still great taste but the sunflower seed reacted with the baking soda and in the morning there were green steaks in my pumpkin bars. I had to Google it to figure out why. Weird.

110. Carrie

Sorry, can’t seem to edit posts. This recipe gets 5 stars! Im clicking on the stars but my tablet isnt showing that its adding the stars.
    Ok got it now.

111. Angel

I am going to attempt these for Thanksgiving, so that I can have a treat as well, instead of watching others have all the fun eating. I wonder how they would taste with persimmons? I absolutely LOVE persimmon pudding…and these kinda remind me of that. What spices and amounts would you use? Thanks for all the recipes, they have made changing over to a Candida diet soooooo much easier!

112. Michele R.

These were DELICIOUS!!! My daughters and husband (he isn’t the biggest pumpkin fan) loved them. Thank you for the awesome recipe!

113. Tiffany

Love the recipe! Comes out great. Definitely going to make another batch. I made the almond butter in my food processor and then just added all the other ingredients to it- so it was pretty convenient.

114. Lynn

These are amazing !! Even better the second day, if they last that long !
    I followed the recipe exactly and they were so moist and flavorful.
    Love your website, your recipes are outstanding! Just copied all your
    pumpkin recipes, will try them all.

115. Nicole

I am dreaming of making this with a billion flavor cominations: peanut butter + bananas (and maybe a few chocolate chunks or cacao); coconut butter + purΓ©ed mango; pumpkin + cranberries; peanut butter + purΓ©ed strawberries (PB&J!)…oh man…

116. Jill Heather

Wow, wow wow!! What a fantastic treat. Made these and they are off the charts delicious. What a fantastic treat and also, great substitute for pumpkin pie. To me, it basically tastes like a crustless pumpkin pie- tasty, moist, spicy and just overall delicious. And bonus, super easy and fast to make.

117. Eric Giambrone

Hey Megan I just stumbled upon your site and I am really excited to try these amazing-looking recipes. I do not consume sugar and am trying to figure out the logistics of baking with stevia. Based on your posts above on the subject, I assume you recommend replacing lost liquid volume in this recipe with another liquid. But do you know of something less starchy and specialized than the Ener-G Egg Replacer? And in your recipes in general, at what liquid volume does it become necessary to add something for what you took away? For example, in your raw almond butter fudge recipe, which calls for only 1.5 tablespoons of honey, you say you can substitute with stevia but you don’t mention adding anything. I assume this is because it is such a small volume, but at what volume of sweetener does this become an issue?

In the almond butter fudge recipe, you can easily substitute the stevia because it’s not baked.

Baked goods are a chemistry experiment, so any little change can affect the results. When I developed my stevia-sweetened macaroons, it took me 5 different batches to get the consistency right, so I recommend lots of patience and experimentation when working with it! I don’t think there’s a magic formula for stevia substitutions, as all recipes will be slightly different with their ingredients and textures. Good luck with your experiments!

118. Lacie

Made these for the third time last night and baked in muffin wrappers. Great for on the go snack or breakfast. My new favorite recipe!

119. Samantha

I just wanted to say thanks for this recipe! I’m in graduate school for food policy and nutrition and everyone there (rightfully) has very high standards — these bars were a hit at our Thanksgiving potluck. Vegan and gluten-free AND scrumptious!

I love the way these stay soft (but not gooey). I used the maple glaze with chopped pecans on top, very professional looking and easy!

120. Monika

Made this last night! Freaking amazing! Thanks for all the great recipes! They are ways tasty and great for my annoying food allergies!

121. Nina

Love these! I make them at least once a week, to have for breakfasts. I have trouble digesting most foods in the morning, but I’m always hungry early. These are perfect – packing nutrition without being heavy. The first time I made them I was so impressed, I baked more the next day to share with ladies at my gym (we are always trading healthy recipes. I bring them for potlucks and they always go fast. Friends cannot believe they don’t have any grains or white sugars. Love that your recipes don’t require lots of special equipment or time. I can keep these ingredients on hand easily. As a busy Mom your site is so valuable.

122. Pingback: Thanksgiving | Joy Rises

123. Pingback: Thanksgiving: What’s on the Menu | Joy Rises

124. Stephanie

I made these the other day and unfortunately they turned out super moist and heavy. It was less cake like and sort of in between a brownie and pie filling. Not really sure where I went wrong or if my oven is just too damn old to cook things properly anymore. Only sub i made was for canned pumpkin because i didnt have a real pumpkin lying around. Any ideas Megan? Would like to make these again, they still tasted good, but i could tell something wasnt exactly right. Thanks!!

125. Ali

Just made these, they are the real deal and without added fat or sugar. I used agave instead of honey. Love them! These will be my new go to recipe from now on! Thanks detoxinista for doing the hard part for me!

126. Pingback: Nutty About Nutcrackers | bilberrybox

127. Pingback: What I eat #10 |

128. breanne

These are amazing! Not to mention, so easy! I made some whipped cream with heavy whipping cream and powdered erythritol to top these and everyone went GAGA over them. Making them for Christmas eve and Christmas day (2 separate events).

129. Vicki

I’ve made these twice now and they are so delicious! They freeze beautifully and are even delicious straight out of the freezer. I like them plain or with the maple glaze. Just divine. My grandson who is allergic to dairy absolutely loves them. They are great for me too (I have celiac disease). This recipe is a keeper and I wouldn’t change a thing! Thanks!

130. hez

i’ve been making these with 2-3 tablespoons of raw cocoa powder and sprinkling some vegan mini chocolate chips on top! yum! thanks for the inspiration Megan!

131. Pingback: friday faves. » Stacia Kelly Photo

132. Pingback: These are a few of my favorite (Healthy Sweet Treats) Things... | Kansas City Wellness - @daniellasilver

133. Pingback: Afternoon Delight | Eating Clean

134. Pingback: Safe Sweet Tooth Recipes

135. Missy

The flavor is great but when I make these they don’t come out like a cake. They are wet and do not rise. I had to add almond flour and almond milk which helped. Maybe I need to add baking powder? Thoughts?

136. Jasper

I made these yesterday morning for breakfast because something pumpkin sounded so good even as we head into a glorious spring in the nw! I subbed the almond butter for 1/2 c almond flour and 1/2 gluten free flour mix, i also added a little bit (1/4-1/3) c of oil. They are a the perfect springy texture I was hoping for and with just honey as a sweetener – so delicious!

137. Tiffany

I’m very eager to try this recipe I LOVE pumpkin. I do have a question or so for you though. I am getting married in Sept and my fiance’s mom will be making our cake (or cakes if we do several different varieties)
    Do you have any suggestion on recipes that we could try. I ran across your site and am happy I did so, we recently gave up wheat, refined sugar, and most dairy with the exception of goat. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    Also can you freeze the cakes for a week or two and be OK, or have you tried that before?

138. Niki

Thanks for the recipe! I made these with pumpkin seed butter and they’re lovely! I’m looking into making some almond butter soon so will make them again with that.

139. Lorri

These are great whether you’re eating gluten and dairy free or not! While I was baking them everyone who walked by asked what smelled so good, and after trying them they said you couldn’t tell they didn’t have flour in them. People around here really know their baked goods too! This recipe will be added to the recipe collection at our house to be enjoyed by all with or without food sensitivities.
    Thank you!

140. Pingback: Quick & Easy Recipes – Grain-Free Pumpkin Bars Recipe

141. Huvs

Hi great recipe. Have to say that after the first time I began making this recipe with almond flour made from pulp of almond milk and dehydrated in the oven @ 50 Degrees C. Ima,ways have almond flour around because i make almond milk regularly. They came out just as good. Making almond butter is time consuming and I’m always afraid I’ll burn out the food processor’s motor, so I was happy it worked out using the flour. I make it in a loaf tin and sometimes just have it as cake without the maple glaze.mofmcourse for a special occasion i would bother making the glaze (which is no bother really, so easy).

1. PR

Were they dry when substituting the almond butter with pulp, or did you add in some oil or something to make up for the fat? Love the idea of using up my almond pulp this way πŸ™‚

142. Pingback: A Gluten Free Thanksgiving

143. Pingback: No-Bake Pumpkin Pecan Cookies | Hummusapien

144. Erin

Hi I wanted to know how many grams of protein are in each bar. Also do you have any other protein bar recipes with more protein in them. I’m guessing I could add some protein powder but not sure how much.
    Erin

145. Maureen

I can’t wait to try this recipe as written. As a framework, I used it with mashed bananas and cashew butter. Ohmygoshsogood.
    Thanks.

146. Pingback: Fall Treat Round Up: PCOS Style | With Great Expectation

I’m not familiar with Wow Butter– is it seed based? Sunflower seed butter should work fine in this recipe, but sunflower seeds do have a reaction with baking soda and can turn baked goods green. They are safe to eat, but they can look scary if you’re not prepared for it!

147. Jennie

These are AMAZEBALLS. Even my anti-nutrition hack husband liked them! They are soft and fluffy and SO easy to make it isn’t even funny. I added some chopped walnuts and pumpkin seeds on top to up the omega 3 and B-vitamin factor, and honestly – I eat them for breakfast with a coffee…. soooooo goood.

148. Keri

These bars are fantastic! I have served them to non-paleo people and they were gobbled up by adults and children! I’m about to make these for the third time! I do have to cook mine for 30 minutes though. My oven is tempermental πŸ™‚

149. Vanessa

These are delicious! I have made them three times so far and they have been such a big hit, even with my pumpkin loathing seven year old who gobbled them up.

150. Brian

Made this recipe last night for my family and it turned out perfect! Delicious pumpkin bars… Better than I’ve ever had! I made a cinnamon maple whip cream to top it with.

151. Eva

OMG these were amazing.!!! I did 3 batches. 2 for my co-workers, which I made the way the recipe said minus the glaze. And the other I followed the recipe but added chocolate chips and still without the pecan glaze. Both were amazing, however I am a chocolate freak so I will keep doing it that way. Thank you for the recipe post. Please keep them coming.

152. Pingback: Egg-Free Pumpkin Spice Bars Mama Say What?! | Mama Say What?!

153. Katherine

Made these this afternoon, great! I already got a few friends addicted to your almond freezer fudge, this will be next. Should they be refrigerated? Wasn’t sure. Thanks again.

154. MichelleC

Oh my!! I made these tonight and invited my friend over to sample with me. The whole family loved them. My friend does not really like nuts so I wasn’t sure she would like the glaze but she did. Everything about this recipe is fantastic. I can’t wait to share it with more people. Thank you!

155. Adrienne

Made these for our 5 kid family and they were a hit. They were super easy and quick to make and it is always rewarding when a recipe turns out just as good as you hoped.

156. Danielle

I made these this morning using .25c (or 1/2 of an individual cup) of unsweetened applesauce and a few drops of stevia instead of the honey. Worked out great. Likely still not as sweet as the original recipe but I also ate 1/4 of the pan as breakfast and was looking for a post work out snack or breakfast as oppose to dessert. I calculated the nutrition the way I made it and it is:

Calories: 247.4
    Total Fat: 19.9 g
    Cholesterol: 93.0 mg
    Total Carbs: 11.5 g
    Dietary Fiber: 4.6 g
    Protein: 8.3 g

157. Angie

I made these and the taste is awesome – but the texture did not turn out like a ‘bar’; very squishy…almost too moist. What did I do wrong?

158. Colleayn

These are so good! I made these for my Mom’s birthday. I reduced the honey to 1/4 cup and they were delicious. (I don’t even like pumpkin and I loved these.)

159. Pingback: Make a Health(ier) Choice this Halloween | Half Your Plate

160. Kristi

I don’t have almond butter but I have almond meal (ground almonds) would that work and what else would I need for moisture or fat?? to make up for the “almond butter”?

161. Pingback: Paleo Pumpkin Roundup 2014 | Crunchy Hot Mama

162. Amanda

I had it at a pot luck/book club and loved it. I have made this cake multiple times this fall season for pot lucks and dinners and it was a hit. I whipped the eggs with my kitchen aid first then added all the ingredients, I find this order fluffs the cake a bit more. I also used fresh pumpkin, cut it up, roasted it for an hour on 425 then blended in the food processor. The maple topping really makes the cake pop!

163. Nina

These are to DIE for!! Taking a lot of restraint to not keep eating these! I will absolutely keep these in my Fall rotation and keep in mind for entertaining and parties. The glaze just takes it over the top! Thank you soooo much!

164. Pingback: pumpkin bars « Stafaband

165. Erin

I just made these the other night and they’re AMAZING! Sooooo tasty. They’re also quite addictive, so I have to restrain myself from eating the whole pan whenever I go into the kitchen. πŸ˜‰ Thanks for this recipe.

166. Pingback: 70 Grain Free Thanksgiving Recipes (paleo and primal-friendly) -

167. Pingback: Paleo Thanksgiving Recipes (+ Including Full Dinner Menu)

168. Elizabeth

These are absolutely GREAT. I have a patch of persimmon trees in my yard and every fall I am looking for recipes for persimmons. All pumpkin bread/muffin recipes work great, but I am not eating so many grains and flours these days. This is the very best persimmon recipe that I have tried. I substituted the same volume of persimmon pulp for pumpkin in your recipe. I have used peanut butter in a pinch (peanuts are a great pair for persimmons flavor-wise in my opinion).

169. Jessica

I just have to say WOW! These were wonderful. I can’t wait to adapt it to other recipies. Thanks for making these wonderful easy recipies. So inspired!

170. Pingback: Gluten-free Pumpkin Cake with Cinnamon Icing

171. katie

Hi Megan!

I LOVE your blog. Quick question about the glaze. You mentioned it hardens up after a while…. If I make these for Thanksgiving a day ahead of time, can I glaze them and they’ll still be okay to eat the next day?

172. Pingback: Try These Organic Thanksgiving Recipes this Year - shopOrganic

173. Jules

Megan or all, I made these today according to directions and they turned out perfectly. Even tasted good going down, however, more than two hours later I have a nasty taste left in my mouth – thinking it might have been the pumpkin pie spice (too old?)(they had a twang), so I purchased a new bottle and will give these one more try tonight.
    Since I was going to remake them anyway, I also thought they lacked serious pumpkin flavor, even though I used organic, unsalted Almond Butter. Therefore, I am wondering if anyone has increased the pumpkin puree to 3/4 cup or more and lessened the almond butter accordingly?

p.s. Thanks to such creative people and responses on here, I will also be making a grainless batch with banana πŸ™‚

174. Pingback: Let the Holiday Festivities Begin! - Treble in the Kitchen

175. Heather

These are delicious! I made the recipe as is but used a maple almond butter I’d just picked up. Pinned. Shared on FB. Definitely one to remember and make again.

176. Donna O.

My husband made these for me as a treat for Thanksgiving (I’m currently doing SCD and am not ready for nut flours yet), and I just wanted to tell you they were FANTASTIC. Thank you for the wonderful “keeper” recipe. πŸ™‚

177. Pingback: Have A Low Sugar Christmas with These Recipes!

178. Regina P

I just tasted my batch and they’re amazing! Thank you for always having such great recipes. I was wondering if you happened to have the nutritional information per serving? I followed your recipe exactly. Thanks again,
    Cheers!

179. Pingback: {Grain free pumpkin slice for dummies} | Delicious Health

180. Pingback: Grain-Free Pumpkin Bars | Best Recipes

181. Vanessa

I just made these without the spice and added some chocolate cocoa powder. I also switched it to mini muffins and they came out great! Like a little mini cupcake. =) Thanks for the recipe!

182. Pingback: Chai Chia Seed Pudding (paleo, gluten-free, low-carb, LCHF) | Finding the Healthy Road

183. Pingback: GRAIN FREE PUMPKIN BARS | ESPACE RUNNING

184. Kate

I just watched you on Hallmark…I know a star! You were great, seemed very much at ease, despite the 40-11 people all talking to you at once! This is so exciting…I’m SO glad I found you! You’ve made my journey into a healthier lifestyle a piece of cake! (pun intended) gigglesnort! Thank you, Megan πŸ™‚

Yes it is! You’re smart to keep it on hand– I can’t find canned pumpkin ANYWHERE right now. It’s in high demand!

185. rose

OH. MY. PUMPKIN. these are sooooooOooOOoo good!!! Perfectly moist and perfectly pumpkiny. And the glaze?! I died and went to maple pecan heaven. I didnt have any coconut oil (I was at work ok) so I used almond milk instead of the water and it was SOoOOooo yummy and creamy and healthy?! Thank you for thus recipe I will DEFINITELY be making these again….tomorrow…. πŸ˜‰

186. Niki

Megan, my son has chrons and I use your site daily! Thank you for following your heart and mission.
    This recipe along with countless others are AMAZING! Don’t know what I would do without this site and your cookbook!!!!!!

187. Jen

This recipe sounds amazing! I’d like to make it vegan, can an egg substitute be used? Sometimes egg subs don’t always work well when doing a grain-free recipe so thought I’d ask. Thanks in advance!

188. Barbara

These were really good. I didn’t change anything & they turned out great. I will be making again. I do have a question, do you think I could use sugar free pumpkin spice syrup for the honey? Thanks for a winner.

189. Lizinca

My family loves these. I always double it and use a 13″ x 9″ Pyrex to bake them. Check them early, mine are usually done at about 28 minutes. Thanks for such an amazing recipe.

190. Cindy

I just made these and they are great! Even without the glaze, which I will make when they cool. I do have a question for those substituting banana. Are you replacing the pumpkin or honey with the banana? I think the banana and honey together would be too sweet. How would I correct that?

1. Elizabeth

I would love to know the answer to the banana question! I may try subbing banana for the honey today and I will let you know if I do. I have three very ripe bananas just begging to be baked. Oh and Detoxinista, thank you for this recipe! I have made a kuzillion batches of it. I like to use a mix of PB, almond butter and sunbutter. I’ve never made the glaze, they’re so sweet and yummy without it. And I bake it in cupcake tins. They Hulk out on us (the inside turns green) from the chemical reaction but no one every complains! Delicious!

191. Patti

These were great.!!! Mine didn’t even last the day my neighbors all loved them. I will definitely be making these again. Can you freeze these?.

192. Annette

Oh my it’s in the heat of July I just made these. I am a cookie freak and missing anything close on day 75 Scd. Thank you…I am searching for anything I can after I cried thinking I’d never eat again.

193. Laurie

Made these for midnight snack, they are that quick and easy to make. One can of pumpkin is 1 1/2 cups so tripling this recipe and using a 9×13 pan is a no brainer! Also, these remind me of gingerbread, I think next time I will use those spices instead of pumpkin pie spice and see if this recipe could work for grainfree gingerbread! Thanks!

194. Jean

Wow, I can’t get over how almond butter bakes up so much like a regular baked good, except maybe even better. Sooo good! My hubby is torturing himself by waiting to have a piece with his morning coffee. I had one now and I’m saving one for breakfast. I had some leftover caramel glaze that I used on top and that just put it over the top. I can’t even feel guilty (except for the glaze!) with the good ingredients. Definitely making this again!
    Yeah, I just cut mine into 6 pieces. Treating it like a piece of cake and cakes needs to be a bit bigger.
    Did I gush enough?