Pumpkin Seed Granola (Nut-free, Grain-free)

Granola is something I consider a special Fall treat.

It seems especially appropriate at this time of year, when it’s not yet chilly outside, but you’re ready for a comforting bowl of spicy Fall flavor. While traditional versions are typically loaded with butter and sugar, this particular recipe is grain-free, nut-free, and is properly combined when served with ice-cold almond milk.

Pumpkin seeds, also known as pepitas, are easier to digest than nuts, and happen to be one of the most flavorful and nutritious seeds around. They are a good source of manganese, magnesium, iron, copper, zinc, and protein!

Paired with chia seeds, sunflower seeds, and coconut, you’ll also get a hefty dose of omega-3 fatty acids, antioxidants, and fiber, which help stabilize your blood sugar, in every crunchy bite.

Pumpkin Seed Granola (Nut-free, Grain-Free)
makes about 2 cups

Inspired by this recipe

1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
1/4 cup chia seeds
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1 Tablespoon coconut oil
2 Tablespoons pure maple syrup (or stevia, to taste)
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/8 teaspoon sea salt

1/2 cup raisins (optional)

Transfer the seeds to a small bowl, and mix in the shredded coconut, coconut oil, maple syrup, pumpkin pie spice, and salt. Stir until well coated, then transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, or a Silpat.

Spread the mixture evenly using your hands, or a fork.

*Note: You may have noticed that I added raisins to my mix before baking–> I don’t recommend doing that! The raisins are already dried, so they don’t need to be baked again. Consider this is a classic case of, “Do what I say, not what I do.”

Serve with homemade almond milk, and enjoy!

3.86 from 21 votes
Loaded with a variety of seeds, including pumpkin seeds, this recipe is grain-free, nut-free, and is properly combined when served with ice-cold almond milk.
Servings: 4 -6
Author: Detoxinista.com
  • 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
  • 1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
  • 1/4 cup chia seeds
  • 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
  • 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
  • 2 Tablespoons pure maple syrup (or stevia, to taste)
  • 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
  • 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/2 cup raisins (optional)
  1. Preheat your oven to 300F. Combine the pumpkin, sunflower and chia seeds in a small food processor, and pulse just enough to break down the seeds into chunky texture.
  2. Transfer the seeds to a small bowl, and mix in the shredded coconut, coconut oil, maple syrup, pumpkin pie spice, and salt.
  3. Stir until well coated, then transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, or a Silpat. Spread the mixture out evenly using your hands or a fork.
  4. Bake at 300F for about 20 minutes, stirring half-way through to avoid burning. You want this mixture nice and golden, not burnt! Alternatively, you could use a dehydrator set to 118F for 4-5 hours, if you have that kind of patience.
  5. Allow the toasted granola to cool completely, then stir in the raisins and store in an airtight container.
  6. Serve with homemade almond milk, and enjoy!

Because this crunchy cereal is so nutrient dense, I recommend using a 1/2 cup as your serving size. It’s very filling!

Reader Feedback: Are you a fan of granola? Have you ever made your own?

Hi, I’m Megan. A former fast food junkie turned certified nutritionist consultant, trying to make healthy living as easy as possible. I believe in eating delicious whole foods on a regular basis to help naturally support the body’s detox organsβ€” no juice fasting required. (Unless you want to!) If you make one of my healthy recipes, tag @detoxinista on Instagram or Facebook so I can see!

68 thoughts on “Pumpkin Seed Granola (Nut-free, Grain-free)

1. Lauren

I looooove granola! Even though I’m a dedicated lover of oats, it’s nice to have some options. Pumpkin seeds agree with me so well! I think I’m lacking zinc or something. I’ve even heard of people eating solely pumpkin seeds for a period of time to kill parasites in their body. Powerful stuff!

1. Jerry

Where do you get your ingredients that are wheat & nut free. I found rolled oats, raw pumpkin seeds, & raw flax seeds that are, but can not find a source for the sunflower seeds & especially for sesame seeds so I can make sesame tahini. Thanks

2. Ritchie

I love granola! Unfortunately, they almost always have oats killing the combination, OR they are super expensive. I’ll definitely be making this soon πŸ™‚

3. jeanne

This looks awesome, I’m making tonight! Is it weird if I don’t cook it and eat it raw? I can’t turn on the oven, it’s too hot πŸ™‚

4. Shira

I just made this to eat before the Jewish fast-yom kippur- and eat it with extra soaked chia together. So yummy, and it will keep me full for a long time!

5. Candice

Ok just wanted to say I made this yesterday and enjoyed today with homemade almond milk–AMAZING! Hands down, best granola ever! And it’s full of nutrition! Thanks for sharing!

6. Pingback: Getting Back Into the Grove!

7. Holly

Yet another delicious and simple recipe from the detoxinista! I used to love granola but banished store-bought because of the oats and excessive sugar and this is the perfect solution! The coconut and chia get nice and crunchy just like nuts and oats with a subtle sweetness from the raisins that leaves you feeling full and satisfied. The batch I made on Sunday has already disappeared and another (triple) batch is roasting at this very moment!

8. Michele Garcia

This is genius! I love the combination of seeds and the addition of spices, which makes it that much better. I left everything whole instead of chopping it, substituted extra virgin olive oil for the coconut oil, upped the salt to 1/4 teaspoon, and left out the raisins. Since I didn’t have pumpkin pie spice, I used a combination of ground cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, and cardamom. I think next time I’ll use the coconut oil as suggested because I think its flavor is probably more complementary than the olive oil I substituted. But overall the flavor is great. I’ve made granola with oats and nuts that isn’t overly sweet at home before, but I still can have blood sugar issues when I eat it. I felt much better with this pumpkin seed granola. Thank you for posting this- enjoying your blog!

9. Pingback: Pumpkin Seed Granola « The Delicious Philosophy

10. Gal

Delicious! I don’t like chia seeds in liquid because they’re too gelatinous, but toasted chia seeds are wonderful. I love making granola for my family, but since I’m grain-free right now, I got sad thinking I wouldn’t be able to eat any. Thank you!

11. Jjulie

This recipie is great I added some of my left over almond meal from making almond milk— took a little longer to cook but tastes great. Thank you

12. Nikki Rowland

I made this and it is excellent but I would like to know can I add Carob Chips (would they melt to fast in the dehydrator? How long does this granola last stored?

13. Lisa

Just thought I would tell you this recipe caught my eye, as my husband is allergic to nuts. You should know that the pumpkin pie spice mix includes nutmeg, which he says is also a nut, and is allergic to that also. Just a heads up!

14. Pingback: Pumpkin Seed Granola (Nut-free, Grain-free) - EatSeed.com

15. Nicole Talbot

This looks amazing. Is there any substitution for shredded coconut? I have an allergy to coconut. Thanks!

I think you could use anything you want! Slivered almonds or crumbled nuts or seeds would all probably work fine as a substitute.

You can make a jar of “Pumpkin Spice” at home using the following ratios:

4 tablespoons ground cinnamon
      4 teaspoons ground nutmeg
      4 teaspoons ground ginger
      3 teaspoons ground allspice

16. Lisa

What brand of pumpkin seeds do you use? The ones at my Whole Foods come from China. Trying to avoid foods from China πŸ˜‰ Looking for a safe source.

17. Pingback: Wondering What to Do With All Those Pumpkin Seeds? - Eat Drink Eat

18. Meleiana

I would love to make this using the seeds from the pumpkins currently roasting in my oven…could you tell me the process? How do I clean the goo from the seeds? Do I roast the seeds?

Thanks and love your site!

19. Denise

By the look of your pictures you use shelled pumpkin seeds. It’s there a trick to doing this yourself? I typically buy shelled unsalted seeds buy they are becoming so expensive it would be great to do it myself.

20. Tracy

Hi Megan,

I love this recipe and make it all the time. You call it a treat and I call it breakfast. Thank you for all your wonderful posts.

21. Danielle

Made this… Love it! Thank you for all of your awesome recipes. They have made eating healthy a lot easier than any other time I’ve ever tried to change my eating habits in the past,… It feels great to actually stick with it this time πŸ™‚

22. Pingback: Ten Healthy Pumpkin Recipes

23. Danielle

I can’t get enough of this granola!!! I eat it almost everyday, and I must be deficient in something because I could eat a whole batch at one time! My 18 month old son has dairy/wheat/gluten/egg sensitivities and so this works perfectly!! THANK YOU!!!!

24. Maria

The best nut free granola recipe!! Better than nut granola! I’ve made it with cinnamon instead of pumpkin spice when I was out and it was delicious too.

25. Hannah

This made for a great quick breakfast for my 3 yr old daughter and I. We added goat yogurt and almond milk to round it out a bit more πŸ™‚ This will be going in my recipe box. thanks! Would like to add that it only took 15 minutes with our oven and it was slightly too roasted.

26. Pingback: Cooking Cure Day 3 | Gwen's Fish Food

27. babs

I use an egg white to make it all sticky and sweeten with stevia, and some other people use applesauce…that way you don’t have to add any sugar at all.

28. Pingback: Cooking Cure Day 4 & 5: Prepping and Cooking | Gwen's Fish Food

29. Emily

I really like this recipe. I made it using NuNaturals liquid stevia instead of the maple syrup and it was great. I’ve been reading up on soaking nuts and seeds and know that you do it for some of your recipes, so I was wondering if it’s advisable to soak the pumpkin and sunflower seeds for this. Or is it not necessary because you are roasting them at 300F?

30. Penny O

Just made a triple batch & tried my first bowl…very very delicious! My nutritionista has me on a Sugar Cure Diet(no sweeteners, no grains, no dairy) which I’ve been following for 2 weeks. I have missed my sweets sooo much. Now that I’m readjusted, this granola is satisfying my love of sweet and my love of granola. Thank you Detoxinista for yet another great recipe!

I haven’t tried it myself, but I don’t see why not. Let us know how it works for you!

31. Rae Dawn Hadinger

Thank you so much for this recipe. I have a kid who is allergic to nuts and sensitive to oats. I’ve been going crazy trying to find a granola substitute. I wonder if you could use this to make a nut free/oat free granola bar.

32. Charlene@ thatgirlcookshealthy

Wow, this is a great rendition of the classic granola made with oats. I will definitely try your version Megan.

33. Pingback: FODMAP Breakfast: The Most Important Meal of the Day | My Food and My Mood: Am I What I Eat?

34. Pingback: Back on Track | My Food and My Mood: Am I What I Eat?

35. Sara P

You’re recipe about how to prepare a whole sugar pie pumpkin mentioned using the seeds in this recipe, but from the picture, it looks like you’re using hulled pumpkin seeds (green) rather than the ones that come directly from the pumpkin (white). Any idea if this would work with whole seeds?

36. Pingback: Gluten-Free and Peanut-Free School Snacks | Easily Paleo...

37. Stephanie

Wow, I LOVE this recipe! I made it for the first time today and it turned out perfectly. I didn’t process the ingredients, only because I was feeling lazy about the cleanup. I’ll try it next time to see if the difference is worth the mess.

I always prefer making my own pumpkin spice blend instead of using the store-bought ones. I like a little extra clove flavor, so I like having control over that. I added some dried currants instead of raisins and served it over Greek yogurt with blueberries. I also used almond oil instead of coconut oil. Thanks for sharing this–I imagine I’ll make this a LOT!

38. Niki Sherie

Yum yum yum! Thank you so much! I thought it sounded good so made a double batch first go πŸ™‚ Added slivered almonds with the seeds in the processor and flax seeds afterwards. Added chopped dried apricots and dried cranberries when it was cold. So delicious! Way better that other toasted muesli! Thank you!

39. Erica

I always make a double batch of this because it’s so good. I sub dried cranberries instead of raisins for some added zing. I’ve made it as “thank you” gifts for neighbors (it looks so pretty in a jelly jar) and have had to share your recipe each time as they are all hooked too after tasting it. Great recipe!

40. Fausta

LOVE LOVE LOVE!!! Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. I was after a nut-free, grain-free cereal… and I love it! I replaced the maple syrup with honey and it tastes great! This recipe is a keeper… thanks!