Salted Raw Caramel Dip

‘Tis the season for sticky, caramel-covered apples.

However, if making your own caramel apples sounds a bit messy and complicated, perhaps you’d prefer making a quick caramel dip instead. This particular caramel dip is raw and naturally-sweetened, made with fiber-rich Medjool dates. A definite upgrade from traditional recipes calling for butter, sugar and corn syrup!

With a hint of sea salt, this dip pairs perfectly with freshly sliced apples or pears, and would also make an excellent topping drizzled over your favorite Fall baked goods.

Salted Raw Caramel Dip
makes about 1 cup

Inspired by this recipe

1 cup soft Medjool dates, pitted
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt, or more to taste
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup almond milk, plus extra for desired texture
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 Tablespoon coconut oil

optional: 1 cup soaked cashews or almonds

If you’re using a standard blender or food processor, I recommend soaking the dates in filtered water for 2 to 3 hours, until soft. If you own a powerful blender, like the Vitamix, there’s no need to soak–> it will pulverize the dates easily!

Combine all of the ingredients in the blender, and blend until smooth and creamy, adding extra almond milk if necessary to facilitate blending.

Adjust flavors to taste, and chill before serving.

Note: For an extra-creamy caramel dip, add 1 cup of soaked cashews or almonds to the mix before blending. Omitting the nuts makes this recipe fruit-based and easier to digest, but the nuts do create a more authentic, creamy caramel texture.

Serve with sliced fruit, or thin with extra water to drizzle over baked goods.

Salted Raw Caramel Dip
Serves: 1 cup

This particular caramel dip is raw and naturally-sweetened, made with fiber-rich Medjool dates. A definite upgrade from traditional recipes calling for butter, sugar and corn syrup! With a hint of sea salt, this dip pairs perfectly with freshly sliced apples or pears, and would make an excellent topping drizzled over your favorite Fall baked goods.
  • 1 cup soft Medjool dates, pitted
  • ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt, or more to taste
  • 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
  • ¼ cup almond milk, plus extra for desired texture
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
  • optional: 1 cup soaked cashews or almonds
  1. If you're using a standard blender or food processor, begin by soaking the dates in filtered water for 2 to 3 hours, until soft. If you own a powerful blender, like the Vitamix, there's no need to soak--> it will pulverize the dates easily!
  2. Combine all of the ingredients in the blender, and blend until smooth and creamy, adding extra almond milk, if necessary, to facilitate blending.
  3. Adjust flavors to taste, and chill before serving.
  4. Serve with sliced fruit, or thin with extra water to drizzle over baked goods. Will keep chilled in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Notes
For an extra-creamy caramel dip, add 1 cup of soaked cashews or almonds before blending.

Hope you enjoy!

Reader Feedback: Do you look forward to caramel apples, or caramel dip? I’ve always been a little nervous about biting into caramel-dipped apples myself, thanks to that sticky coating– I’m scared I’ll break a tooth! Luckily, caramel dip suits me just fine.

Comments

1. Meg says

This looks amazing! Definitely making with my gluten/dairy/sugar intolerant little sister this weekend to make her feel better about all of her friends getting Halloween treats and her getting stuck with suckers. Toughest life for a nine-year-old I’ve ever heard of.

I love your site, lady.

2. jeanne says

I feel like I would eat this entire thing in one serving it looks so delicious :) Is it hard to scrape it all out of the vitamix around the blade, like is it sticky?

• says

Nah, it’s not any harder than scraping out something like homemade cashew butter… I actually used my finger to (carefully) scrape out the very last drops! 😉

3. chelsea says

oh my goodness! i just made this; it was amazing. I didn’t have any almond milk on hand at all so I just used water and it was excellent. I’m sure the milk would improve upon the flavor, but as it stands it’s still out of this world good. So excited to have this in the fridge for the next few days. 😀

4. says

now I know what I will be using the dates I got in my pantry for.

I made the raw almond butter yesterday… oh, my!! those were the longest 20 min of my life… I finally added a bit of the peanut oil that had separated from my raw peanut butter to get to the almond butter state. I think I will roast the almonds next time!!

5. says

I just made this. You are an answer to my prayers! I have been asking God for recipes and a way that I can give my kids better food that they will eat and enjoy!!

they are now drinking green smoothies everyday for over 3 weeks now. And I made this and it was a success!!

Loved it! now I am passing the recipe to my mom who has a sweet tooth!

PS I added the raw almond butter that I had just made a couple of days ago to this. Yumm-O

6. Lauren Gettinger says

I love caramel apples! I’ve been craving them so bad this fall and I’ve been looking everywhere for healthier version that tastes good! I can’t wait to try this!

• Lauren Gettinger says

I tried it and it’s amazing! My husband said he liked it better than regular caramel apples! thank you for the awesome recipe!

7. @MarlenaTorres says

This is brilliant! I was thinking about how I could have a candied apple this fall, because I love apples so much. This is perfect. Thank you!

8. Heather H says

Love this! I’ve made the sucanat version of caramel dip before but this sounds even better. Thanks for sharing your recipe with us. :)

9. DanielJ says

This is just awesome… one of my new favourites!! I am eating it right now. Fantastical.
    Behold, the power of the date!

10. Abbra says

I just tried making this and was bummed as itoesn’t look as much like caramel like it does in your picture. I used a food processor and cashews. I soaked the cashews and dates for a couple hours too. Could I be doing something wrong? It tastes great though, I feel like it was better right away than after chilling.

11. Stephanie says

I agree with you, Abbra. I made this tonight, and while it tastes okay, it doesn’t look or taste like caramel at all. I followed the instructions precisely. I’ll eat it, but I won’t make it again.

12. Ginger greenfield says

Love it!! It tastes just like caramel!!! Looking forward to trying other recipes on ur website! Thank you!! 😉

13. Ginger says

It does not taste like dates. It tastes like caramel (which really shocked me) but LOVE it!! I’m thinking about adding this to the cheesecake recipe she has (which is delicious, too)..

14. Denise Nelson says

Wow!! I just whipped this up in my food processor. I used raw almonds (unsoaked) I just ran them for awhile till rhey were very sooth then added the rest and tried it in an organic Honeycrisp apple~ Incredibly delicious!! I thank you & my immune system thanks you!! (My mouth is pretty grateful, too! <3

15. Sally says

I made it in my Vitamix, which required WAY more liquid to work (probably a cup or more). The dip is very tasty, though I won’t call it caramel when I label it for the party we’re taking it to. The addition of the recommended cashews definitely makes the color an unappealing beige–not at all like the image in the recipe, so I’m feeling a little frustrated about that. Honestly, I think I’d make something else for the party if I weren’t rushed today.

16. says

I made this and put in the almonds to make it creamier. It was much better cold. If the other members of my family like it, I’ll make it again. This one wasn’t off the charts for me personally.

17. Sif says

This is sooooooooooo good!!!! my spoon won’t stop feeding me !!! 😀

Thank you SO much for this super delicious recipe!

Sif (Denmark)

18. Courtney Grace says

I am officially obsessed with dates and this recipe! Sooo good! It may not taste exactly like the regular sugar filled caramel, but it still tastes amazing! I’ve been eating this with apples almost every day now. Something I’ve also learned from my last batch is that if you add extra lemon juice, it tastes just like the inside of a lemon bar! So good!

19. Julianne says

Surprisingly tasty! I didn’t have coconut oil so I just used sunflower oil, plus I used soya milk rather than almond. I added a little extra milk to make it more of a sauce to top my ice cream – nom nom!

20. nashaly says

Can you omit the coconut oil? I don’t want to add any oils or nuts at all so Im wondering if the consistency will be the same.

21. Rose says

Oh, wow! I made this last night using unsoaked dates and a small handful of soaked almonds in my Vitamix. I used coconut milk instead of almond milk. It is so good! Everyone in my house loves it. It really has the texture of buttery caramel. I will be writing this one down on a card to use regularly. Thank you!

22. says

I love the versatility of dates! This would go great as a drizzle over my inside out baked caramel apple a la mode that I just made. YUMMY!

23. leah says

This recipe looks great! I came up with a date caramel recipe myself, in which I mushed dried dates and then melted them like they were plain sugar. Then I added milk and butter like for reg. caramel (it tasted divine but was sooo unhealthy). I wanted to see if there was an alternative to the butter, which is how I ended up here. happy I found this and hope it comes out good!

Trackbacks

1. […] This recipe is the first time I’ve tried out date caramel, even though I’ve seen it praised on many a’ websites. Now I understand why. It’s so addictive! I was actually really happy to have some leftovers to stir into plain Greek yogurt and top my morning oatmeal. I adapted my version from The Detoxinista. […]