Healthier Peanut Butter Eggs

I’ve had the urge to eat Peanut Butter Eggs this week.SONY DSC

I blame it on all of the Easter commercials I’ve been seeing on TV.

Rather than choose a Reese’s Peanut Butter Egg, which is loaded with refined sugars, preservatives, and who-knows-what-else, I decided to try making a batch of my own peanut butter eggs this year. My version features only three all-natural ingredients in the peanut butter middle, and can be prepared in no time! In fact, you may already have all the ingredients you need to make a batch right now.

My friends have deemed these better than the original peanut butter eggs, so I hope you’ll agree!

Healthier Peanut Butter Eggs
makes 6 pieces

Adapted from this recipe

1/2 cup organic, natural peanut butter (creamy or crunchy, your choice)
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
1 tablespoon coconut flour
1/4 teaspoon of sea salt (add only if your peanut butter is unsalted)
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
1 teaspoon coconut oil

In a medium bowl, combine the peanut butter, maple syrup, coconut flour, and salt (if using). Mix very well, until a uniform batter is formed. Use a spoon to scoop the batter into 6 balls, and use your hands to shape the dough into flat egg-like shapes. Arrange the 6 eggs shapes on a plate lined with parchment paper, and place in the freezer to set.

While the peanut butter middles are setting in the freezer, melt the dark chocolate chips and stir in the coconut oil. Remove the the peanut butter middles from the freezer, and dunk each one into the chocolate mixture, so that they are completely coated. Return the chocolate covered pieces to the parchment paper, and spoon any additional chocolate over the tops for a thicker chocolate coating, if you like.

Allow to set in the freezer for at least 10 more minutes before serving.SONY DSC

For best texture, store and serve directly from the freezer. The chocolate will soften if left at room temperature for too long.

Healthier Peanut Butter Eggs

A healthier alternative to the popular Easter candy!
  • ½ cup organic, natural peanut butter (creamy or crunchy, your choice)
  • 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
  • 1 tablespoon coconut flour
  • ¼ teaspoon of sea salt (add only if your peanut butter is unsalted)
  • ½ cup dark chocolate chips
  • 1 teaspoon coconut oil
  1. In a medium bowl, combine the peanut butter, maple syrup, coconut flour, and salt (if using). Mix very well, until a uniform batter is formed.
  2. Use a spoon to scoop the batter into 6 balls, and use your hands to shape the dough into egg-like shapes. Arrange the 6 eggs shapes on a plate lined with parchment paper, and place in the freezer to set.
  3. While the peanut butter middles are setting in the freezer, melt the dark chocolate chips and stir in the coconut oil.
  4. Remove the the peanut butter middles from the freezer, and dunk each one into the chocolate mixture, so that they are completely coated. Return the chocolate covered pieces to the parchment paper, and spoon any additional chocolate over the tops for a thicker chocolate coating, if you like.
  5. Allow to set in the freezer for at least 10 more minutes before serving.
Notes

Note: If you can’t tolerate peanut butter, any other type of nut or seed butter will work for this recipe. Try using sunflower seed butter or almond butter for a tasty alternative! This recipe would also be appropriate for vegans, if vegan chocolate chips are used for the chocolate coating.

Enjoy!

Reader Feedback: Do you have a favorite type of seasonal Easter candy? I used to look forward to Cadbury Creme Eggs every year, so those are on my list to re-create next year! (Talk about a challenge.)

Comments

1. says

Oh my goodness, these look divine…peanut butter and chocolate is a favorite combo, but Easter is one of those holidays where I don’t make anything in particular.

Recently, I’ve been trying new recipes with the hopes of posting them…but they haven’t quite been post worthy. I know you’ve talked about flops before and I’m wondering if you can share how you maintain balance between taste testing/recipe creating with your regular meals and not feeling like you’ve eaten too much or caused digestive issues?

Thanks! xo

2. Karen says

Growing up near Detroit, the Sanders chocolate birds nest with jelly beans eggs was/is a favorite seasonal treat. I think the nest is made from coconut and a crispy rich cereal. I still buy one for each of my children (and me :-)

3. Aimee says

Oh my these look delicious! I have been craving peanut butter lately and bought a fresh pure peanut butter that is so delicious, I may have to try making some of these lol!

• Megan says

I’ve made these before using coconut oil, instead of coconut flour, if you want to try that, but it is much more difficult to shape the eggs and they are not as authentic in texture. You need to add something to the peanut butter to make the middles solidify, and coconut flour is the most similar in texture to powdered sugar, which is why it works so well!

If you find another substitute that works, please share!

• Sara says

I substituted white rice flour for the coconut flour and they turned out great! :-)
        I just found your blog after going gluten-free for health reasons and LOVE it! :-) THANK YOU!!!

4. says

My sweetie is obsessed with Reese’s peanut butter cups, but I try to discourage him from eating them because of all the yucky ingredients. I’m going to have to try these!

5. Kristi O says

Getting some groceries this morning and will be including this in my easter prep later this afternoon! My kids are very excited to help make these as well! Thank you! I have to say ALL the recipies of yours we’ve tried have been a huge success!

6. Kristi O says

p.s. – you also have my 6 year old daughter and I addicted to Chia seeds! Chia Vanilla pudding is our favorite breakfast! We’ve been experimenting with other Chia recipes in our diets as well and love Chia Fresca drinks if we don’t have the pudding for breakfast. I can’t thank you enough for this addiction! (sorry for posting twice)

• Megan says

Coconut flour and almond flour are not interchangeable– you’d probably have to add a lot more almond flour to achieve a similar texture, and I’m not sure how that would affect the final taste and texture. Please let us know if you have any success!

7. Amanda Jewell says

These look GREAT! I was going to make your paleo chocolate chip cookies for easter, but now I don’t know what to make… dilemma… I’ll probably just have to make both.. :-)

8. Tauni says

I think you’re my new favorite blogger! I use real maple syrup and coconut oil for baking because of gluten-intolerances, sugar-issues, and dairy-allergies. My family loved your chocolate donuts and I’m making these right now =) Thank you!

9. Hope says

Peepsters (NOT peeps…ew) are by far my favorite Easter candy. In fact, I wrote a post about them on my little blog: balancewithhope.blogspot.com

A “healthy” creme center would be hard to achieve….but maybe doable using something similar to your homemade sweetened condensed coconut milk…hmmm now you’ve got me thinking… ;)

10. zoesmumlizs says

oh thx so much, these are the better version of beanutbutterballs that i havend’t had the time to figure out myself:-) going to make them tomorrow:-)

11. Matt says

Great idea Megan! And as always, so simple! We’ll substitute almond butter for peanut butter (allergens!), which I’m sure won’t harm things in the least.

12. Lynn says

these look so yummy! I have been trying (rather unsuccessfully, I might add) to make some gluten free dairy free chocolate candies for my allergic family. I will definitely make these substituting either almond butter or sun nut butter, due to peanut allergy.
    I also want to say that I really look forward to your daily emai and recipes! Thank you so much

13. patricia van dyke says

Megan, seen these this morning and just had to try. I’ve been making peanut butter cups for years, but I think I just replaced my recipe. These were easy and quick, and taste delicious. Made just like your recipe with coconut flour, instead of powdered sugar,and coconut oil with chocolate. Great job, Thanks

14. jeanne says

Totally Trying!! Yum!!
    Can I just grind up dried coconut for the flour or is it a special thing you have to buy?
    Last year I made a PB cup that mixed nutritional yeast with the peanut butter. Seemed weird but was really good!

• Megan says

I buy this brand of coconut flour: http://amzn.to/10nrXAf

I’m not sure if grinding up dried coconut would have the same result, or not. The store-bought coconut flour is very dry and absorbent, almost as if some of the fat content is removed. When I grind dried coconut oil, I feel like it releases the oil pretty quickly, so it would definitely be an experiment!

I’ve heard of the PB & nutritional yeast combo, but haven’t tried it myself. Maybe I’ll add some into my next batch!

15. Nicole says

made a batch of these…tasted the batter…then immediately made another batch. these did NOT last long! thank you for such an amazing recipe.

16. Crystal says

I just made these this weekend and what a hit!!!! LOVED THEM! They actually call my name from the fridge:).

17. Alex says

Megan,

These are so easy to make and absolutely delicious! Thank you so much for sharing! My boyfriend devoured three of them, and my other three taste testers claimed that these taste better than the real Reeses eggs!

18. Esther says

I made these for Easter and they were delicious! I didn’t have coconut flour so I used 2 tbsps of tapioca flour and it worked perfectly! I also used almond butter since we were out of peanut butter and it tasted great with the chocolate. I made the flat egg shape and I also used the filling like dough and rolled it in my palm to make them look like real eggs. Such a great recipe thanks! I will make these again for sure! :)

19. Clarissa says

I do have the ingredients for these in my kitchen! I’ll have to see if I can win over my Reese’s obsessed fiancé!

20. Zoe says

Oh wow! These were amazing, tasted better than the real thing! It is crazy how absorbent the coconut flour is! When I first added it I thought it wasn’t going to be enough, after a a few stirs it was the perfect texture!

21. Buckner says

These are delicious!! I made them with almond butter the first time and they turned out great. My husband isn’t a big fan of almond butter, so I made them with peanut butter again last week, they are so good. These are perfect when you need a small little treat! Thanks for the great recipe!!

22. Tsvety says

Hello Megan, I made these eggs. They were very delicious! I have one question about peanut butter – your peanut butter from what kind of peanuts is made – roasted or raw?

• Megan says

Butter is the only alternative that will have similar results as coconut oil. Definitely don’t try other oils!

23. Tobie says

You are a genius! I have said it so many times, but I’ll say it again… You should be published. You should be on television teaching the world how to make healthful (and tasty!) food choices. I always enjoy your blog!

24. Joanna says

I tried these last night and they came out perfect.
    I didn’t have any packaged coconut flour.. but googled and came up with putting Bob’s Red Mill unsweetened dried coconut into my coffee grinder (krups) and blitzing til powdery and it worked perfectly.
    It seemed that little amount of coconut flour wouldn’t do much for the blended peanut butter mixture, but when added it magically came together quickly into a dry moldable dough.

We made ours into footballs and piped on white laces.. adorbs! perfect for super bowl party tomorrow!

So happy! A childhood treat we can enjoy again without the guilt. Thank you!

25. CamiCakes says

Could potato starch work in place of coconut flour? I have a surplus of it. I am thinking… If rice flour worked, why not, right?

26. Nicole C says

I made these today for my family Easter celebration and my whole family couldn’t believe how amazing they were. They even won over my brother and my uncle, which says A LOT. Everyone said they were way better than Reese’s. Reese’s used to be my favorite candy but I dont enjoy them anymore after eating your version. Thank you for another wonderful treat that I can feel good about sharing with my family and my children. I have tried a number of your recipes so far and have been thrilled with them all!

27. Gina says

These were Amazing! My husband loved them my kids loved them. Way better then any store bought peanut butter and chocolate candy!!!

28. Kirsty says

Hi Megan,
    Do you think I could use ground almonds rather than coconut flour or would that upset the taste too much…?
    Thanks!

• Megan says

I’m not sure– coconut flour is very absorbent, so I think you’d need to use more almond meal to achieve a similar texture. Let us know if you have any luck!

29. Abby says

These received RAVE reviews at our family Easter dinner! Even my husband who loves Reese cups said he liked them better than Reeses! I’m making them again but trying a ball shape :) thank you so much!

30. Jennifer says

Your website is terrific! We tell all our friends! Can this recipe be doubled as is, or does there need to be any adjustments?

31. Noelle says

These were soooo good! I didn’t have coconut flour so I ground up some shredded coconut and they turned out just fine. Thank you for sharing!

Trackbacks

1. […] I was inspired by some sliced, frozen chocolate covered bananas that I had at a retreat and the Detoxinista’s Healthier Peanut Butter Eggs. I figured I was melting dark chocolate anyway, why not do double duty dipping? My adaptations to […]