Healthier Peanut Butter Eggs

I’ve had the urge to eat Peanut Butter Eggs this week.SONY DSC

I blame it on all of the Easter commercials I’ve been seeing on TV.

Rather than choose a Reese’s Peanut Butter Egg, which is loaded with refined sugars, preservatives, and who-knows-what-else, I decided to try making a batch of my own peanut butter eggs this year. My version features only three all-natural ingredients in the peanut butter middle, and can be prepared in no time! In fact, you may already have all the ingredients you need to make a batch right now.

My friends have deemed these better than the original peanut butter eggs, so I hope you’ll agree!

Healthier Peanut Butter Eggs
makes 6 pieces

Adapted from this recipe

1/2 cup organic, natural peanut butter (creamy or crunchy, your choice)
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
1 tablespoon coconut flour
1/4 teaspoon of sea salt (add only if your peanut butter is unsalted)
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
1 teaspoon coconut oil

In a medium bowl, combine the peanut butter, maple syrup, coconut flour, and salt (if using). Mix very well, until a uniform batter is formed. Use a spoon to scoop the batter into 6 balls, and use your hands to shape the dough into flat egg-like shapes. Arrange the 6 eggs shapes on a plate lined with parchment paper, and place in the freezer to set.

While the peanut butter middles are setting in the freezer, melt the dark chocolate chips and stir in the coconut oil. Remove the the peanut butter middles from the freezer, and dunk each one into the chocolate mixture, so that they are completely coated. Return the chocolate covered pieces to the parchment paper, and spoon any additional chocolate over the tops for a thicker chocolate coating, if you like.

Allow to set in the freezer for at least 10 more minutes before serving.SONY DSC

For best texture, store and serve directly from the freezer. The chocolate will soften if left at room temperature for too long.

Healthier Peanut Butter Eggs

A healthier alternative to the popular Easter candy!
  • ½ cup organic, natural peanut butter (creamy or crunchy, your choice)
  • 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
  • 1 tablespoon coconut flour
  • ¼ teaspoon of sea salt (add only if your peanut butter is unsalted)
  • ½ cup dark chocolate chips
  • 1 teaspoon coconut oil
  1. In a medium bowl, combine the peanut butter, maple syrup, coconut flour, and salt (if using). Mix very well, until a uniform batter is formed.
  2. Use a spoon to scoop the batter into 6 balls, and use your hands to shape the dough into egg-like shapes. Arrange the 6 eggs shapes on a plate lined with parchment paper, and place in the freezer to set.
  3. While the peanut butter middles are setting in the freezer, melt the dark chocolate chips and stir in the coconut oil.
  4. Remove the the peanut butter middles from the freezer, and dunk each one into the chocolate mixture, so that they are completely coated. Return the chocolate covered pieces to the parchment paper, and spoon any additional chocolate over the tops for a thicker chocolate coating, if you like.
  5. Allow to set in the freezer for at least 10 more minutes before serving.
Notes

Note: If you can’t tolerate peanut butter, any other type of nut or seed butter will work for this recipe. Try using sunflower seed butter or almond butter for a tasty alternative! This recipe would also be appropriate for vegans, if vegan chocolate chips are used for the chocolate coating.

Enjoy!

Reader Feedback: Do you have a favorite type of seasonal Easter candy? I used to look forward to Cadbury Creme Eggs every year, so those are on my list to re-create next year! (Talk about a challenge.)

Hi, I’m Megan. A former fast food junkie turned certified nutritionist consultant, trying to make healthy living as easy as possible. I believe in eating delicious whole foods on a regular basis to help naturally support the body’s detox organsβ€” no juice fasting required. (Unless you want to!) If you make one of my healthy recipes, tag @detoxinista on Instagram or Facebook so I can see!

97 thoughts on “Healthier Peanut Butter Eggs

1. Liz

Oh my goodness, these look divine…peanut butter and chocolate is a favorite combo, but Easter is one of those holidays where I don’t make anything in particular.

Recently, I’ve been trying new recipes with the hopes of posting them…but they haven’t quite been post worthy. I know you’ve talked about flops before and I’m wondering if you can share how you maintain balance between taste testing/recipe creating with your regular meals and not feeling like you’ve eaten too much or caused digestive issues?

Thanks! xo

2. Karen

Growing up near Detroit, the Sanders chocolate birds nest with jelly beans eggs was/is a favorite seasonal treat. I think the nest is made from coconut and a crispy rich cereal. I still buy one for each of my children (and me πŸ™‚

3. Aimee

Oh my these look delicious! I have been craving peanut butter lately and bought a fresh pure peanut butter that is so delicious, I may have to try making some of these lol!

I’ve made these before using coconut oil, instead of coconut flour, if you want to try that, but it is much more difficult to shape the eggs and they are not as authentic in texture. You need to add something to the peanut butter to make the middles solidify, and coconut flour is the most similar in texture to powdered sugar, which is why it works so well!

If you find another substitute that works, please share!

1. Sara

I substituted white rice flour for the coconut flour and they turned out great! πŸ™‚
        I just found your blog after going gluten-free for health reasons and LOVE it! πŸ™‚ THANK YOU!!!

4. Cadie

My sweetie is obsessed with Reese’s peanut butter cups, but I try to discourage him from eating them because of all the yucky ingredients. I’m going to have to try these!

5. Kristi O

Getting some groceries this morning and will be including this in my easter prep later this afternoon! My kids are very excited to help make these as well! Thank you! I have to say ALL the recipies of yours we’ve tried have been a huge success!

I’m so glad to hear that! Thanks for letting me know, and I hope your kids enjoy making these, too!

6. Kristi O

p.s. – you also have my 6 year old daughter and I addicted to Chia seeds! Chia Vanilla pudding is our favorite breakfast! We’ve been experimenting with other Chia recipes in our diets as well and love Chia Fresca drinks if we don’t have the pudding for breakfast. I can’t thank you enough for this addiction! (sorry for posting twice)

Coconut flour and almond flour are not interchangeable– you’d probably have to add a lot more almond flour to achieve a similar texture, and I’m not sure how that would affect the final taste and texture. Please let us know if you have any success!

7. Amanda Jewell

These look GREAT! I was going to make your paleo chocolate chip cookies for easter, but now I don’t know what to make… dilemma… I’ll probably just have to make both.. πŸ™‚

8. Pingback: 10 Clean Eating Easter Recipes: Eggs, Bunnies, Chicks and Carrots Galore!

9. Tauni

I think you’re my new favorite blogger! I use real maple syrup and coconut oil for baking because of gluten-intolerances, sugar-issues, and dairy-allergies. My family loved your chocolate donuts and I’m making these right now =) Thank you!

10. Hope

Peepsters (NOT peeps…ew) are by far my favorite Easter candy. In fact, I wrote a post about them on my little blog: balancewithhope.blogspot.com

A “healthy” creme center would be hard to achieve….but maybe doable using something similar to your homemade sweetened condensed coconut milk…hmmm now you’ve got me thinking… πŸ˜‰

11. zoesmumlizs

oh thx so much, these are the better version of beanutbutterballs that i havend’t had the time to figure out myself:-) going to make them tomorrow:-)

12. Matt

Great idea Megan! And as always, so simple! We’ll substitute almond butter for peanut butter (allergens!), which I’m sure won’t harm things in the least.

13. Lynn

these look so yummy! I have been trying (rather unsuccessfully, I might add) to make some gluten free dairy free chocolate candies for my allergic family. I will definitely make these substituting either almond butter or sun nut butter, due to peanut allergy.
    I also want to say that I really look forward to your daily emai and recipes! Thank you so much

14. Pingback: Have a Wonderful Weekend β€” Battle of the Bites

15. patricia van dyke

Megan, seen these this morning and just had to try. I’ve been making peanut butter cups for years, but I think I just replaced my recipe. These were easy and quick, and taste delicious. Made just like your recipe with coconut flour, instead of powdered sugar,and coconut oil with chocolate. Great job, Thanks

16. jeanne

Totally Trying!! Yum!!
    Can I just grind up dried coconut for the flour or is it a special thing you have to buy?
    Last year I made a PB cup that mixed nutritional yeast with the peanut butter. Seemed weird but was really good!

I buy this brand of coconut flour: http://amzn.to/10nrXAf

I’m not sure if grinding up dried coconut would have the same result, or not. The store-bought coconut flour is very dry and absorbent, almost as if some of the fat content is removed. When I grind dried coconut oil, I feel like it releases the oil pretty quickly, so it would definitely be an experiment!

I’ve heard of the PB & nutritional yeast combo, but haven’t tried it myself. Maybe I’ll add some into my next batch!

1. Monika

I didn’t have coconut flower, so I used finely ground coconut (thought there wouldn’t be much of a difference), but had to use much more of it (actually more coconut than peanut butter), and it still wasn’t very solid. It also doesn’t harden up so easily in the freezer. It seemed hard before I poured the chocolate over it, but with the chocolate on it, and after more time in the freezer, the chocolate hardened, but it was very soft on the inside. However, too soft or not (because of not using the right ingredients), they are ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS!

I haven’t tried any other substitutions myself, but please let us know if you have any success!

17. Nicole

made a batch of these…tasted the batter…then immediately made another batch. these did NOT last long! thank you for such an amazing recipe.

18. Crystal

I just made these this weekend and what a hit!!!! LOVED THEM! They actually call my name from the fridge:).

19. Alex

Megan,

These are so easy to make and absolutely delicious! Thank you so much for sharing! My boyfriend devoured three of them, and my other three taste testers claimed that these taste better than the real Reeses eggs!

20. Esther

I made these for Easter and they were delicious! I didn’t have coconut flour so I used 2 tbsps of tapioca flour and it worked perfectly! I also used almond butter since we were out of peanut butter and it tasted great with the chocolate. I made the flat egg shape and I also used the filling like dough and rolled it in my palm to make them look like real eggs. Such a great recipe thanks! I will make these again for sure! πŸ™‚

21. Clarissa

I do have the ingredients for these in my kitchen! I’ll have to see if I can win over my Reese’s obsessed fiancΓ©!

22. Zoe

Oh wow! These were amazing, tasted better than the real thing! It is crazy how absorbent the coconut flour is! When I first added it I thought it wasn’t going to be enough, after a a few stirs it was the perfect texture!

23. Buckner

These are delicious!! I made them with almond butter the first time and they turned out great. My husband isn’t a big fan of almond butter, so I made them with peanut butter again last week, they are so good. These are perfect when you need a small little treat! Thanks for the great recipe!!

24. Tsvety

Hello Megan, I made these eggs. They were very delicious! I have one question about peanut butter – your peanut butter from what kind of peanuts is made – roasted or raw?

25. Pingback: Salty And Sweet Almond Butter Cups « The Mommypotamus

Butter is the only alternative that will have similar results as coconut oil. Definitely don’t try other oils!

26. Pingback: Cooking my crankypants off |

27. Tobie

You are a genius! I have said it so many times, but I’ll say it again… You should be published. You should be on television teaching the world how to make healthful (and tasty!) food choices. I always enjoy your blog!

28. Joanna

I tried these last night and they came out perfect.
    I didn’t have any packaged coconut flour.. but googled and came up with putting Bob’s Red Mill unsweetened dried coconut into my coffee grinder (krups) and blitzing til powdery and it worked perfectly.
    It seemed that little amount of coconut flour wouldn’t do much for the blended peanut butter mixture, but when added it magically came together quickly into a dry moldable dough.

We made ours into footballs and piped on white laces.. adorbs! perfect for super bowl party tomorrow!

So happy! A childhood treat we can enjoy again without the guilt. Thank you!

29. Pingback: What I Ate Today | Sweet Paleo

30. Pingback: Easter Recipe Round-Up | Civilized Caveman Cooking Creations

31. Pingback: Easter Basket 101: Healthier Ideas For Your Kids | She Sugar

32. Pingback: The (Healthy) Easter Round-up | Things My Belly Likes

33. CamiCakes

Could potato starch work in place of coconut flour? I have a surplus of it. I am thinking… If rice flour worked, why not, right?

34. Nicole C

I made these today for my family Easter celebration and my whole family couldn’t believe how amazing they were. They even won over my brother and my uncle, which says A LOT. Everyone said they were way better than Reese’s. Reese’s used to be my favorite candy but I dont enjoy them anymore after eating your version. Thank you for another wonderful treat that I can feel good about sharing with my family and my children. I have tried a number of your recipes so far and have been thrilled with them all!

35. Gina

These were Amazing! My husband loved them my kids loved them. Way better then any store bought peanut butter and chocolate candy!!!

36. Kirsty

Hi Megan,
    Do you think I could use ground almonds rather than coconut flour or would that upset the taste too much…?
    Thanks!

I’m not sure– coconut flour is very absorbent, so I think you’d need to use more almond meal to achieve a similar texture. Let us know if you have any luck!

37. Abby

These received RAVE reviews at our family Easter dinner! Even my husband who loves Reese cups said he liked them better than Reeses! I’m making them again but trying a ball shape πŸ™‚ thank you so much!

38. Jennifer

Your website is terrific! We tell all our friends! Can this recipe be doubled as is, or does there need to be any adjustments?

39. Noelle

These were soooo good! I didn’t have coconut flour so I ground up some shredded coconut and they turned out just fine. Thank you for sharing!

40. Pingback: Imitation Reese’s Peanut Butter Hearts, Healthier Homemade Version! | Briething with Meaning

Yes, I think so! Honey is a little sweeter than maple syrup, so you might want to use a little less– just taste the mixture as you go.

41. Pingback: Five Things Friday 3.13.2015 - Treble in the Kitchen

42. Kelli

Wondering if I could sub xylitol for the syrup. Since one is solid and the other liquid I’m wondering if I’d have to add a little melted coconut oil to make up for the difference in moisture?

43. Pingback: Healthier Peanut Butter Eggs. Calling for just 5 ingredients, these eggs are easy to prepare and taste BETTER than the store-bought version! - All Foods Drinks

44. Pingback: How to Have a Healthy, Christ Centered Easter (When All Your Kids Want are Peeps) |

45. Alice

These are so good, my favorite combination. I used rice flour instead of coconut, it was fine. I forgot the sea salt in the peanut butter so I sprinkled it on the melted chocolate and it was delicious. Thanks!!!!

46. Erica

I just made these and they’re sitting in the freezer, but I realized I forgot to use coconut oil in the chocolate! Will they still turn out ok?

47. Pingback: Egg Recipe Roundup « PharmerSarah

48. Pingback: Happy Easter! 7 mos and meal planning 4/6 | Lil Runner

49. Missy Jo

Thank you for this recipe! I just made these and they are wonderful…..don’t look as pretty as your’s, but I tried. I didn’t have chocolate chips, but I had a bar of Ghirardelli 100% Cacao unsweetened chocolate that I melted with the coconut oil and I added some drops of liquid stevia…..I only knew I could do this because I’m learning how to cook from you. So thankful for everything you do on here and that book can’t get here fast enough! Another great recipe so that I don’t feel left out when my family is eating their unhealthy chocolate eggs πŸ™‚

50. Pingback: Healthier Peanut Butter Eggs – Detoxinista | Cooking with the Carman's

51. Deb

Amazing! Delish! I just started weaning off sugar and eating clean, this saved the day. It stopped a grocery store run for what was sure to be a blowout junk fest! I used pure almond butter and almond flour since I didn’t have raw peanut butter and coconut flour.

52. Colleen

It’s no where near Easter but I am chugging through the recipes of yours that look doable to me, and this one is one of the best, and easiest! This was the first time I got to use coconut flour, I love the idea of using that and no powdered sugar. I doubled the batch and got 13 egg shapes, then just dumped homemade chocolate on top, so they didn’t look as pretty as yours, but tasted better than real Reese’s eggs, my husband said so!

53. E.

Thanks for this! Question: I’d prefer to use coconut sugar, so how much of that would I use instead of the maple syrup?

54. Donna

I did a test run with these last week, substituting cashew butter for peanut butter, and they were easy to make and tasted amazing. Made a triple batch today (18 eggs) for my son’s Easter party and will be making a similar version (with ghee) again as cashew butter balls around Christmas.

55. Melissa

Mmmmmmmmmmmm…. These are delicious! I made them for my daughter for Easter, but I think I’ll have to make more for her because I made them too early and I can’t stop eating them!!!

56. Archana

What can I substitute for the coconut flour? I make your peanut butter cup recipe every so often, but I think these will be more the texture of Reese’s pb cups.

57. Charis

Thanks for the great recipe! It is my go-to when the chocolate-PB craving hits! Creamy, peanut-buttery and just the perfect balance of sweet and salty.