Homemade Jello

Jello is a fun, kid-friendly treat.

SONY DSCEspecially this homemade version, which is made without the artificial colors and flavorings found in the brand-name variety. In fact, these sweet and gelatinous squares are so easy to make, I’m surprised the boxed variety is so popular! All you need is 100% juice and grass-fed gelatin to make these quick and easy treats at home, and it’s no more time consuming than the original.

Gelatin is thought to support skin, hair and nail growth, and may be helpful for joints and joint recovery. It’s also a great dietary source of collagen, as well as a source of protein, so when it’s paired with 100% fruit juice with no added sugars, this is the type of Jello you won’t mind feeding to your family. (Unless, of course, you’re a vegetarian–> I’m trying to perfect a vegetarian version of this next!)

Hope you enjoy this fun, jiggly snack!

Homemade Jello
fills a standard loaf pan

Adapted from Wellness Mama

1 3/4 cups 100% fruit juice, divided
1/4 cup boiled water
1 tablespoon grass-fed gelatin

To begin, you’ll want to “bloom” the gelatin in a bit of cool or room-temperature fruit juice, to ensure a smooth and even end result. In a medium mixing bowl, sprinkle the tablespoon of gelatin over 1/4 cup of the fruit juice (I used 100% organic grape juice for this batch), and whisk well until the mixture starts to thicken.

step 1

Once the mixture is nice and thick, pour the 1/4 cup of hot (just boiled) water over it, and whisk well to dissolve evenly. When the mixture is smooth, add in the remaining 1 1/2 cups of fruit juice, and mix well to combine.

step 2

You’ll know it’s done with the top is firm to the touch!

step 3Slice into squares and serve immediately, or store in the fridge in a sealed container until ready to serve.

Homemade Jello
Serves: 8-12

A quick and easy homemade gelatin snack, with no added sugar.
  • 1¾ cups 100% fruit juice, divided
  • ¼ cup boiled water
  • 1 tablespoon grass-fed gelatin
  1. To begin, you'll want to "bloom" the gelatin in a bit of cool or room-temperature fruit juice, to ensure a smooth and even end result. In a medium mixing bowl, sprinkle the tablespoon of gelatin over ¼ cup of the fruit juice (I used 100% organic grape juice for this batch), and whisk well until the mixture starts to thicken.
  2. Once the mixture is nice and thick, pour the ¼ cup of hot (just boiled) water over it, and whisk well to dissolve evenly. When the mixture is smooth, add in the remaining 1½ cups of fruit juice, and mix well to combine.
  3. Pour the mixture into a standard loaf pan, greased or lined with parchment paper to prevent sticking, and place in the fridge to set for at least 2 hours. You'll know it's done when the top is firm to the touch!
  4. Slice into squares and serve immediately, or store in the fridge in a sealed container until ready to serve.

Notes:

• You can use any type of juice you want for this recipe, either fresh-squeezed or bottled. (Preferably BPA-free with no sugar added.)
  • For a truly sugar-free version (i.e. no fruit sugars) you could make this with water and lemon juice instead of the fruit juice, and sweeten with stevia, to taste.
  • For added texture and fiber, you could probably add in some fresh fruit before setting in the fridge.

Reader Feedback: Have you ever made homemade Jello from scratch? Now that I’ve tried it, I can’t believe how easy it is!

Comments

1. Gabrielle says

I started making my own jello for my daughter when we found out that she has celiac disease. She was only 4,so it was difficult to find scd kid-friendly recipes, but this jello certainly fits the bill. And, it’s so easy!

• says

Could you guide me to someone that might have a baby Kaombucha for a start. I use to make it and enjoyed it very much. When I get on the web to find one it’s like so comfuseing. If you have any baby Kaombucha. I would be happy to take one off your handes.
      I make home made jewelry. My web name is offthebeadenpath. Work mainly through Ebay. I could send you some pic of some jewelry. Or let me know what your likes are. Well let me know if your intrested. Thank you.
      Sincerely,
      Patti Shrum

2. Dianne says

Hi Megan,
    I am a big fan of your recipes and this jello is definitely one I can’t wait to try.
    My daughter recently had a baby and I am here in town for a few more days and wondering what kind of recipes you might recommend for fixing ahead of time and freezing that will make it easier for her when I leave. Whatever suggestions, would be greatly appreciated.

3. Abbi*tarian says

Thank you for this recipe! I haven’t made jello in about 15 years! But this I will try! I love how easy it is :0)!

4. Colleen says

Thanks, I seldom make jello because it’s so filled with sugar, now I can make a healthy versions. Thanks a million.
    Colleen

5. Heather says

Thank you for posting this! I really need to add more gelatin into my diet and this jello recipe is the easiest one I’ve seen yet. Now, I have no more excuses! :)

6. says

I remember wanting to eat jello so much as a kid, but our mother never allowed us, because she was scared of that cow disease.
    It looks so easy, I think even I can try out this recipe :)

7. Susan says

The idea of eating Jello rarely occurs to me, let alone making it. But I am glad to know how to do it, and especially in a healthy way. If I had young children I would definitely be making this.

• Sharee says

I order mine from AzureStandard.com, you can also google it. It really doesn’t have any flavor. I mix 1 tsp. gelatin with 1 tsp. cacao powder and 1-2 tsp.coconut sugar, add 1/4 cup cold water, stir, then add hot water to make hot chocolate. It makes it creamy, so people that can not have dairy can still have a delicious cup of hot chocolate. I’ve also used it with Blue Lotus Chai Rooibos MASALA CHAI.

8. DR says

Same as Natalia said – I’ve made a vegetarian version using agar. You can buy it at health food stores. The only thing you have to be aware of is that the measurements are different for different forms of it (powdered, flaked, bars, etc.). Agar is also called kanten or carrageenan. You’ll see carrageenan is actually used A LOT in food products!

9. Sunny says

If agar is actually carrageenan, then that makes it carcinogenic based on a research that was published earlier this year. A movement is also underway to bring in legislation to label products that contain carrageenan, and there is a website that now lists products that might be GMO-free and all organic but still contain carrageenan.

Regardless, I’m gonna try this version today! Thanks.

• Maya says

Agar is NOT Carrageenan, though they are both made from red seaweed. Carrageenan is a processed form.

“Several studies in the early 2000s suggested that a certain type of carrageenan — degraded carrageenan, which has been hydrolyed, or broken down by acid — could cause gastrointestinal problems, including cancers. The degraded type is not typically used in food. In fact, only the undegraded variety has been deemed safe for human consumption by the Joint Expert Committee on Food Additives (JECFA) and approved for use in foods by the Food and Drug Administration in the US.” ~from Wisegeek.com

10. Kristin says

I have made fruit juice jello for years, using Knox gelatin. What is the advantage to using your recommended brand of gelatin?

I make jello for my girls around holidays using themed cookie cutters. This summer I started making popsicles out of Fruitables juice (Fruit/veggie blend), my girls liked them just as much as my regular straight fruit juice ones. I can’t wait to try the fruit/veggie blend in jello.

11. Randall says

I recently started making gelatin with organic juices. I recently bought a cocoanut pineapple blend and I have one tip that every one needs to know. You can not make gelatin out of juice with coconut in it. It separates from the other juices and sinks to the bottom I was so disappointed in it as I love pina-coladas and thought that would make a wonderful jello. I was wrong I was horrible wrong. LOL I still ate it but it was not as pleasant as other straight juice jellos. The orange juice was the best as My family had all developed sore throats and could not drink Orange juice but they where able to eat the OJ as gelatin. I am getting ready to try a mint mojito tea jello brewed with stevia (non alcoholic) I am thinking this may turn our much better than the virgin pina-colada jello.

12. Penny says

Great, super easy, delicious healthy version for jello. I used organic tart cherry for my first batch and will be using organic grape for my second. I find it great for controlling my appetite and my obsession for ice cream.

13. Llepke says

I make homemade “jello” with plain ol NOW gelatin and tea, any kind, herbal, black, green, yerba mate and it’s great. I also make it with konjac powder which is high fiber. I love the little fish molds for this.

14. Squeaky says

I made this for the first time today! SO funny. I used plain white grape juice thinking that would be good to try, it’s clear and sweet (my kid is on a Jello kick). OK it looks and tastes exactly like BEER! Ha ha. I guess gelatine has a bit of a taste itself? Needless to say I will be trying it with a stronger flavour next time. Well, maybe not. The kids didn’t seem to care and ate it all up. Yum yum.

• Megan says

You should be able to agar agar, but the ratio will be different– you can do a google search to find a good suggestion on that!

15. Scarlet says

Would this work well using fresh vegetable juice from a juicer? If so, what flavor would you recommend? I can only think of Carrot, Orange, & Pineapple and Cucumber Lime. How would the final product be with coconut water or using a probiotic?

I tried rating this 5 stars but it wouldn’t let me.

16. Linda says

I don’t get this setting like your picture – it doesn’t even gel.
    I used cold water soluble pure protien Kosher Great Lakes Gelatine Collagen Hydrolysate Collagen Joint care dietary supplement in a green tub, so why isn’t it working?

• Megan says

The green tub is only for cold uses, like blending into smoothies– it won’t ever set! The red tub is the one you want for making jello-type recipes.

17. Linda says

Most recipes just say grass fed gelatine so it’s all very misleading and no one has been that specific.
    It should be clarified as it’s such a waste of money otherwise when all you want is an organic grass fed jelly (I’m British!!)

18. Jean says

Do you have a recipe for making a dry fruit gelatin mix. I want to use in a recipe for green tomato jelly and I will not use jello? Thanks so much. Jean

19. coryann says

Hi! I’ve tried your recipe a few times and they have always come out perfect. I made it last night and it never set! I used grape/orange juice (have done this before and its been fine) but after i poured it in the pan i added sliced bananas quickly mixed and put in the fridge. BUT it never set! What did I do wrong!! Help please! Thank you!

Coryann

20. Kayla says

Hi, I noticed that the recipe states to use 1 Tbs. gelatin but in the picture it looks like you are pouring in 1/4 Cup gelatin. Am I seeing that wrong? I just want to be sure before I make the jello.
    Thank you! :)

Trackbacks

1. […] Paleo Jell-o Don’t buy the boxes of Jell-o at the grocery store! There’s no real food in there. It’s all chemicals and additives. Instead, make some at home. All you need is 100% fruit juice (grape and cherry work well), water, and gelatin (grass fed is best). There are lots of versions online, but I like Detoxinista’s. […]