Peanut Butter & Honey Chewy Granola Bars

If you’re looking for a quick granola bar recipe, this one’s for you.

granola-bars

These bars require just 3 ingredients, not including salt, and only a few minutes of hands-on preparation for a result that is beyond delicious.

In fact, my husband has proclaimed these to be one of his favorite granola bars EVER, “even if they don’t have chocolate chips.” Ha! I suppose you could add chocolate chips to these bars if you like, but what I love about these bars is that they’re naturally sweetened and loaded with fiber, so they won’t spike your blood sugar the same way a store-bought bar might. Plus, they’re gluten-free– as long as you make sure to buy oats that are certified gluten-free. (Otherwise, they can be exposed to cross-contamination in a facility that also processes wheat products.)

Not surprisingly, this recipe is easily adaptable, so you can make these bars with any other nut butter you like. If you want to send them to school with your kids, you can even make them completely nut-free by using sunflower butter instead of peanut butter. Substituting the sweetener is a little trickier, as it’s the honey that provides the “chewy” texture we love, but you can use brown rice syrup for a similar result that’s lower in fructose, or you can use maple syrup for a bar with a drier, firmer texture.

However you make them, I hope you’ll enjoy them as much as we do!

Peanut Butter & Honey Chewy Granola Bars
Makes 8 to 10 bars

Adapted from this recipe

2 cups gluten-free rolled oats
1/2 cup creamy natural peanut butter* (unsalted)
1/2 cup honey
1/2 teaspoon sea salt (optional)

*Peanuts are one of the crops most heavily sprayed with pesticides, so make sure to buy organic whenever possible.

Line a standard loaf pan with parchment paper and set aside. In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, bring the honey to a boil. Set a timer, and allow the honey to continue boiling for 1 minute. In the meantime, place the oats in a large bowl and set aside. Remove from the pan of honey from the heat and stir in the peanut butter and salt. Immediately pour the warm mixture over the oats, and use a spatula to stir well, coating the oats evenly. As the mixture cools, it will become sticky and difficult to mix, so be sure to move quickly!

Transfer the mixture to the lined loaf pan, and press HARD to pack it into the pan. Pressing firmly will ensure that the bars stick together well later. Place the pan in the fridge or freezer to cool, then use a large knife to cut the bars. I like to store these bars in the freezer for best shelf life (up to 6 months) then pull them out as needed– they thaw in about an hour, which makes them perfect for a mid-morning snack. If you’d prefer to store these bars at room temperature, they should last for up to a week.

peanut-butter-granola

4.59 from 36 votes
Peanut Butter & Honey Chewy Granola Bars
Prep Time
15 mins
Total Time
15 mins

A quick & easy no-bake granola bar made with just 3 all-natural ingredients!
Course: Snack
Servings: 6
Calories: 313 kcal
Author: Detoxinista.com
  • 2 cups gluten-free rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup creamy natural peanut butter (unsalted)
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (optional)
  1. Line a standard loaf pan with parchment paper and set aside.
  2. In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, bring the honey to a boil. Set a timer, and allow the honey to continue boiling for 1 minute. In the meantime, place the oats in a large bowl and set aside. Remove from the pan of honey from the heat and stir in the peanut butter and salt.
  3. Immediately pour the warm mixture over the oats, and use a spatula to stir well, coating the oats evenly. As the mixture cools, it will become sticky and difficult to mix, so be sure to move quickly!
  4. Transfer the mixture to the lined loaf pan, and press HARD to pack it into the pan. Pressing firmly will ensure that the bars stick together well later. Place the pan in the fridge or freezer to cool, then use a large knife to cut the bars.
Recipe Notes

I like to store these bars in the freezer for best shelf life (up to 6 months) then pull them out as needed-- they thaw in about an hour, which makes them perfect for a mid-morning snack. If you'd prefer to store these bars at room temperature, they should last for up to a week.

Notes:

• Feel free to use any other nut butter (or sunflower seed butter for nut-free) to replace the peanut butter.
  • You can add extras, like chocolate chips, raisins, or nuts, when you stir the peanut butter mixture into the oats. Feel free to get creative!

Enjoy!

Reader Feedback: What’s your favorite granola bar flavor? Austin’s favorite is the recipe above, but mine are the Cinnamon Raisin snack bars in Everyday Detox— I can’t wait for you all to try them, too!

118 thoughts on “Peanut Butter & Honey Chewy Granola Bars

1. Laura ~ Raise Your Garden

I think I might just have to ask Olaf to give you a warm hug for me because this is exactly what I was looking for. I’ve seen lots of granola bar recipes on the net, but nothing these easy, unprocessed and only 3 ingredients. You’re speaking my language! No matter how much I like a recipe, if it’s not easy, I just won’t do it. I’m tempted to add a few peanut butter chips in these for the kids but hope that won’t spike my blood sugar. Love how you can freeze these too and pull out as needed, that’s a huge bonus right there! Maybe I’ll add a few almonds? Or even peanuts. I was actually reading the other day that peanuts get a bit of a bad rap for no reason, they’re actually not that bad for you!

2. Twila

This sounds like great recipe I’d like to try. I’m not a novice baker by any means, but I always get confused by “loaf pan.” Is this a bread pan or a cake pan? I’ve wanted to ask this question to someone for ages!

1. Sydnee

Loaf pans are the long, narrow pans typically used to bake loaves of bread in. Cake pans are available in every size and shape your heart could imagine, but a few basic examples would be 10″ round pans, standard sheet cake pans, and bundt cake pans. Hope that helps! If not, I’d be happy to try to explain differently! Happy baking!

3. Cindy

These look great. I think my husband will love them too. Question…I know it’s weird since everyone is going gluten-free but will oats with gluten also work or will they become gummy? (We are okay with gluten & I need organic oats (reaction to pesticides on oats & haven’t found an organic gluten free oats readily available. And gluten has not been an issue.)

4. Trish

OK, I just made these and the leftovers on the spoon tasted wonderful. I added chocolate chips to the oatmeal but the mixture was too hot to let them stay in chip form so I have a chocolaty granola bar. We’ll use these as a healthy dessert/treat. Looking forward to making other yummy combinations with this super-easy method! Thanks!

I didn’t find the oats tough in these bars, but you can always toast them first if you prefer! I’ve always made no-bake cookies with un-toasted oats, and this recipe is basically based off of that concept.

5. Sarah

Thanks again for another delicious-looking recipe! Strange question – do you think this would work with something other than oats (ie chopped or slivered nuts etc) – wwould it hold together? I’ll make it exactly like this for the kids, but I don’t tolerate oats well… Thank you!

6. Erin

These look great, but I’m wondering if I could use maple syrup to make them vegan and up the nutritional profile? I heard honey loses much of it’s goodness when heated. Thanks!

7. Steph

Yum! This sounds delicious! Does it matter if the oats are quick oats or oat-fashioned oats? Also, I was wondering, is adding the hot syrup mixture enough to soften the oats? Thanks!!

I used regular old-fashioned oats and the hot syrup softened them enough for us. These bars are similar to the popular no-bake cookie recipes you see floating around, so they will have a similar texture to those.

8. Angela @ Food Angel

These are so much more simple than recipes that I’ve tried before! I’ll definitely have to make them for my husband- I got him to give up Clif bars (waaay too much sugar), but now he’s eating Kashi granola bars, which still have a decent amount of sugar and also GMO’s. Hopefully, he’ll love them as much as your hubby did!

9. Abbi*tarian

My favorite granolas – snack bars are: cranberry + coconut, pb, date + walnut + cocoa powder, & lime/lemon + coconut :0). I also love how easy & delicious this is! I look forward to making it both as is & playing with it :0D. Thank you!!

10. Karen A.

OMG, how yummy! I’m not clear on the loaf pan..do you press the mixture up the sides of pan or are you using a loaf pan because the bottom surface is the right size (approx 4″ x 8″) for the amount of dough? Thanks!

You just press the mixture into the bottom of the pan– that pan is the perfect size for making granola bars!

11. Emilee

Hi Megan!

I made these last night and love them! One question for you, though – mine turned out insanely hard – like can barely bite through them hard. Other than doing half almond and half peanut butter (trying to lower the carbs and increase the fat in my diet), I followed everything correctly I thought. Do you know off the top of your head what I may have done wrong?

Thanks! Your recipes are a lifesaver in our house!

Do you mean they’re hard right out of the fridge or freezer? They should be chewy at room temperature, but they will get hard if they are chilled, so you’ll need to thaw them first. My husband likes to take them on his commute to work, so it sits out at least an hour before he eats it. If you don’t need them to last longer than a week, you can store them at room temperature so that they don’t get as hard.

12. asia

Thanks for the recipe idea. I used your honey and PB technique to use up my homemade granola(made with buckwheat, quinoa, and nuts) which didn’t come out so good.

13. Kayla

I just made these and they are so easy and yummy! I pressed some mini-chocolate chips on top after I let it cool a few minutes. Thanks for the recipe!

14. Juanita

These are why I hate trying blogger recipes. Pretty pics, not so great food. Peanut butter and honey are tasty (no-brainer), but the uncooked oats totally do not work. Chewy? Ha, try bullet-proof. Will cook the “bars” to make peanut butter oatmeal or something. Thumbs down!!

1. Traci Medlin

oh my gosh..these were delicious!! I’m usually disappointed when I try new recipes from blogs too but I’ve made these 8 times and they come out perfect every time! Did you try them right out of the freezer? If so, then yes, they will be too hard! I did that the first time. I now just put in the refrigerator for a bit and they are perfect…even softer (too soft for me) if you leave them out after they have been set in the refrigerator. Try again-they are SOOOO good!!!

15. Natallia

Thank you for another great recipe! Just made the bars in a 10 ” pan, followed the recipe exactly, times and a half. They came out thicker than on the pictures but very delicious!!

16. Pingback: Noodles w/ Thai Inspired Peanut Sauce Recipe | Gluten Free & Vegan

17. Pingback: Quick Snacks for Busy Moms! - The Pleasantest Thing

18. Holly

I just made a triple batch of these and they get a 10 out of 10!!!!!!!! My boys and their friends LOVED them and I LOVE how easy they are to make! I will be making these on a regular basis from now on! Who needs pre-packaged granola bars with 15 ingredients for $1.20 each?!?!?!?!? Thank you!!!!

19. Kelly K

I’ve made these with peanut butter and sunflower seed butter (for school) and both ways have turned out great. Once I have them in the pan, I’ve been pressing a few chocolate chips into it (no measurement, just spaced out). Can’t add chocolate chips earlier as they’ll melt but it turns out great at the end. 🙂

20. Debu

Amazing and sooo easy! Ive made this version and ones with coconut and vegan chocolate chips, ones with slivered almonds and dried cranberries, and with sunflower seeds, cranberries and cashew butter. I’ve also used almond butter. Any combo is great and this is a great base for anything you want to add in! I find it makes closer to just 6-8 for us to make a really fulfilling serving size. Also can’t figure out how to get the chips not to melt!

21. Meredith

I made these the other day to have as a quick breakfast bar in the morning. They are FANTASTIC! And so easy! Thank you so much for posting.

22. janet

Went to the store to get the ingredients psyched about trying hem, then I got home and didnt have parchment paper…boo…can i make them directly in the pan?

23. C

Made these and they are delicious! My husband loves them. I added chocolate chips. Thanks for the recipe. I might try using a more shallow dish next time but would you recommend against that?

24. Kari

These are really simple and delicious! Made a few changes…added some coconut and toasted pecan bits. I didn’t have a loaf pan so I used a glass pie dish and instead of parchment just greased it with coconut oil. They came out perfect!

25. Ani

My husband and my son LOVE these! I’ve made a few variations with different things added, (raisins, mini chocolate chips, dried fruits,etc.). They pack well for travel in Tupperware too for long car trips.

26. Pingback: Homemade Granola Bars - Julia Lee BooksJulia Lee Books

1. Anna

I made them today added some seeds and peanut, no salt turned out delicious ,husband loved it. Will be ,along these instead of buying the unhealthy ones,
      !than you.
      This is the first time I am posting something!

27. Rachael

Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. The first batch that I made was a little too sweet for me, so for the second batch I used 2/3 cup peanut butter and 1/3 cup honey and they came out perfect! I’ve been using them for a snack or in the mornings to break up the egg and bacon routine a bit.

28. Heather

I thought it wasn’t good to heat honey to that extreme of a temperature. Can you make these without boiling the honey?

29. Jeff

I’ve been looking for a recipe like this. Simple and easy. They were great. I think what I really like about granola bars is they can be tweeked so many ways. I added organic rice krispy and almonds. I look forward to trying other ingredients. This will be my go to recipe. Thank you so much.

30. Abbey shields

These look Great! Do you know how long these will last in the fridge before going bad? Thank you!

31. Anna

!than you.

32. Kim

I added semi chocolate chips to balance out the sweetness of the honey and I added honey roasted peanuts for a big crunch factor my husband said they were good

33. Elizabeth

I made these and another recipe which had nuts and fruit in it. All of these ones are gone, and we still have more than half of the others. I know which recipe I will be sticking with! Thank you!!!!

34. connie

I made this recipe today, wow, you cold even cut the honey back to a 1/4 of a cup, I don’t know if its because I used unprocessed pollenated honey, but very sweet, but that’s what I would do for next batch, I stuck salted mixed nuts on top to take away from sweetness, they were good, cant wait to finish off and do the next batch, thank you….

35. Valerie

Easy and good tasting, although i will cut back on the honey next time. I’d like to know if you can substitute maple syrup for the honey?

36. Angie

These will be the perfect breast feeding snack! Thanks for the easy recipe, I might try with different nut butters or add in some dried fruit.

37. Christyn

I just made these. I added chia seeds and a little bit of cacao nibs. Now my son has something healthy and yummy to take with him as his lunch treat for school. Thankyou!

38. Ceta

These look fantastic and so easy! Thank you. I’m on a mission to get my family off the store bought bars. I’m going to give it a try with PB2, it should work, right?

39. Nancy McIntosh

Wow I make homemade dog treats for our dog and made “granola ” bars for him. When I saw this website I had to make a chewy bar for the family. Found shelled pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds to add in as well as mini dark chocolate chips. Used the crunchy peanut butter and will make these again. I will cut down on the peanut butter next batch. Trying to get the family to eat more “healthy” these days, including the dog. I am retired and finally able to get into shape. Thank you

40. Anne

How sticky/crumbly/fallapart-y will these bars be? I want to take them to school where they’ll have to spend all day in my (nonrefrigerated) backpack and survive walking/bumping.

1. Katlin

They haven’t fallen apart on me and I keep mine in the front of my messenger bag. My son keeps his in his school backpack and it holds up to him throwing it on the floor. My husband and son like me to do a double batch with a layer of semi-melted chocolate chips in the middle.

41. Katlin

Thank you! I have been searching for over an hour now trying to find a simple bar I can add hemp or flax seed to. Finally! I hope these taste as good as they look.

1. Katlin

They are absolutely delicious!!!!!! I am making a double batch right now! I added flax seed and peanuts in the first batch. This time I will add hemp seed as well. I’m so happy you put this recipe up thank you!!!!!

42. Frances

The texture and flavor are good. A little too sweet…. that is why I gave 4 stars. The second time I made it: Toss oats in a skillet over medium on stovetop for 4~5 minutes, remove away from heat. Add 1 1/2 TABLESPOON DARK COCOA POWDER TO PEANUT BUTTER, stir to blend well. Then do everything as recipe says. That tastes balanced.

43. taryn finnessey

My husband informed me I should no longer make single batches of these– just double! we make with sunflower butter so my son can take them to school. A staple for sure!

The USDA has reported finding 8 pesticides in peanut butter, so clearly the final product is still affected, even though they are grown underground.

The pesticides are used while grown– typically they must be sprayed every 8 to 10 days during their growing season, because peanut crops are rotated with cotton crops and now that cotton as been genetically engineered to withstand higher doses of chemicals, the soil has become more polluted than ever. Because the peanuts are buried underground with a very soft, porous shell (unlike nuts, that have a very hard shell) they are able to absorb everything added to the soil.

44. Doreen

Simple is seriously the best, made these last night! Forget the store bought ones full of crap!
    These are incredible!

45. Jennifer

I made these as directed but even though I really pressed firmly, they ended up crumbling once I cut them into bars. Not really a loss though, as I just turned it into granola crumbles. :). I loved the flavor and will make these again, though with half the honey and maybe a quarter cup of melted coconut oil. I used a really thick, freshly ground peanut butter which is likely why it was too dry. Still delish!!

46. Kathy

My grandson and I made these today. He loves them. He decided to make them into balls that we rolled in shredded coconut. Yum!

Yes, this recipe is not properly combined– it’s just an upgrade for those transitioning away from processed granola bars.

47. Kayleigh

Any idea what the nutritional facts are on this? When I put the ingredients into My Fitness Pal it acted like the bars are 300+ cal per bar – totally ok, just wanted to make sure it was accurate. Thanks!

48. Erica

Do you have any tips if you are going to add chocolate chips? I used minis and it resulted in melted chocolate. Still taste good. I tried adding it both to the oats before I put the peanut butter and honey mixture as well as some after it was all mixed in. I think those survived the best but hard to tell in the melted chocolate mess.

49. Mindy

These are INCREDIBLE! ! The recipe says they last a week. They definitely do not last that long n my house. I had to make two batches in 24 hrs once.

50. Rachel

I’m wondering if anyone has made these using oat flour instead of whole oats. My toddler son really has a thing for texture and would probably prefer something more smooth instead. I’m going to try it out tomorrow an see how it goes regardless, they sound great.

1. Yvonne

Rachel,

You could pulse the oats in a food processor or blender first, or you could try using oatmeal (oats soaking in water or milk) to make a softer texture.

51. Pamela

I see that other people asked about the nutritional facts, but there hasn’t been an answer, I’m wondering that too. My fiance is on a strict low fat diet and I think he’d love these bars, but I don’t really want to make them for him if he can’t eat them. Does anybody know the grams of fat or percentage? Thanks.

You can calculate any nutrition info you need using a free website like MyFitnessPal.com!

2. Stacey

131g of fat for the whole batch plus however much is in the honey, divided by however many bars you divide it into. If you cut 12 bars, it’s about 11g fat each.

52. Sarah

These bars are delicious! They make a great afternoon snack at work. Do you think they could be made with agave nectar instead of honey?

53. Diane

These were the perfect salty-sweet pre-workout energy boost—love them! I added chopped cashews and dates to the mix & they turned out amazing. Thanks for sharing another great recipe!

54. Cheri

Eh. Not terrible but not wonderful either. I won’t be making them again. My husband, who isn’t a complainer, said they have the texture of cardboard and tasted like sawdust with honey. I’ll eat them because I don’t want to waste them, but they’re not for us.
    I followed the directions and didn’t change anything, in case anyone is wondering.

55. Joell

I took your recipe and went a little crazy with it. I can’t have honey so I swapped out with maple syrup. I wanted the benefits of millet. I boiled about a quarter cup of millet until softened but not to porridge. I also heated up about a quarter cup of raspberries. When the peanut butter and maple syrup where ready, I added the millet and raspberries and stirred ’til it was smooth. The rest of the directions I did just as you said. Oh my! Are these good!

56. Caroline

Love these thanks so much for sharing this recipe….I use cashew butter and maple syrup instead of peanut butter and honey then chuck in some cocoa nibs and top with a mocha icing using coconut oil, cocoa powder, steam pressed decaf ground coffee and maple syrup. Delicious…thanks for inspiring a delicious and healthy (ish!) treat.

57. Andrea

I’ve tried about a dozen different recipes looking for just the right recipe- not too dry, not too crunchy, not too fussy to make- and this was PERFECT! I sprinkled mini chocolate chips on top, but they really aren’t necessary! I ate almost half the batch before my kids ever woke up from nap lol. THIS is now my go-to recipe! Thank you!