Creamy Almond Butter & Spinach Shake

This shake is a great way to introduce anyone to the world of green smoothies.

almond-butter-smoothie

It has a creamy texture, thanks to the addition of almonds and chia seeds, and is naturally sweetened with fiber-rich dates. Studies have shown that dates can be considered a low-glycemic food and that they may even be beneficial for those dealing with diabetes, so I love adding them to my smoothies whenever possible.

Spinach does give this shake a noticeably green hue, but its flavor will go totally unnoticed when paired with vanilla and cinnamon. It’s just an added nutritional bonus when you drink this sweet and creamy shake!

Almond Butter & Spinach Shake
Serves 1

1 cup water
2 tablespoons raw almond butter
2 tablespoons chia seeds
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 to 3 soft Medjool dates, pitted
1 large handful of fresh spinach
2 handfuls of ice

Note: If you don’t have a high-speed blender, soak the chia seeds in the water overnight for easier blending in the morning.

Creamy Almond Butter & Spinach Shake
Serves: 1

A sweet and creamy smoothie with a hidden dose of spinach!
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 tablespoons raw almond butter
  • 2 tablespoons chia seeds
  • ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
  • ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 2 to 3 soft Medjool dates, pitted
  • 1 large handful of fresh spinach
  • 2 handfuls of ice
  1. Combine everything, except for the ice, in a high-speed blender and blend until the ingredients are completely broken down. Add the ice and blend again until smooth. Serve cold!
Notes

Substitution note: I love using dates for their neutral sweet flavor, but if you have difficulty locating them, feel free to a frozen banana, instead. The result should still be delicious and fiber-rich!

Reader Feedback: What’s your favorite smoothie combo?

24 thoughts on “Creamy Almond Butter & Spinach Shake

1. Mary

Mmmm this sounds good! Can’t wait to try it! Although I have a question…. your note says to soak the almonds and chia seeds for easier blending, but the recipe does not call for almonds; it calls for almond butter. Is this a mistake or am I missing something?

2. Gianina

mmm just made this with a frozen banana instead of the dates and PB instead of the almond as I didn’t have either at home. I also added some protein powder…very tasty! Thanks!

3. Katie G

Hi! This sounds really good and I have been obsessed with different shakes these days. Is it possible to use avocado in place of the almond butter to make it nut free?

Thanks for another great recipe 🙂

4. Andria

Love you and your recipes. Just ordered your book. My husband and I are always using your recipes. :). Congrats on the book!!!!

5. Cara

Made this today and it was so delicious! My 2 year old was gobbling it up as well! Thanks for such great recipes! Keep up the good work ☺

6. Carole

WOW!! Sooo delicious, thanks Megan for another amazing recipe!! I did 1 1/2 dates and 10 drops of liquid stevia. I will definitely be making this on a regular basis!! Can’t wait for my toddler to try it, I’m sure he will love it too 🙂

7. Carole

UPDATE: I think it’s safe to say I am obsessed with this shake. AND my 16 month old loves it too — finally a way to get him to eat spinach!! YAY!!

8. Pingback: My toddler ate kale and didn’t even know it! (The girl who picks out her greens) | The linchpin bunch

9. Jennifer

So yummy! I have this on an almost daily basis now. Tastes almost as good as a dessert but is a great way to get your greens! Thanks for another wonderful recipe.

10. Kristin

I added PB2 and banana. Great idea to soak chia seeds!
    Delish and love getting some spinach in such a dessert Smoothie!

11. Jeanne

Do you make your own almond butter for this or do you have a recommended almond butter that has little sugar? I loved Barney butter but then saw it had added sugar.

I just got your cookbook and fell asleep reading it dreaming about all the recipes I will try. Super excited 🙂

12. Kat

Thank you sooooo much! I just started the Dr. Oz Total Ten diet and the recipes on his site are really limited. This sounds delish and I wont even be cheating! Wish me luck!

P.S I must find this book everyone is talking about … o_O

13. Katie

You could say I’m a smoothie snob and I can’t tell you how many bad smoothie recipes are out there, and it’s not so much the flavor combo, but the quantities of liquid to make it a true smoothie. There are many watered down versions that are hard to enjoy. Megan has the science down. I like a smooth thick, easy to drink through straw smoothie and I haven’t encountered a recipe in her book or site where the results aren’t right on the mark! First time making this creamy almond spinach, quite simple and surprisingly delicious, will Def make again. I subbed 1 tbsp coconut sugar as my nifty ninja is not a fan of dates, (I’ll stick to stuffing them with almond butter or filling with goat cheese, wrapping in bacon and baking!) I also ground my chia seeds first, eliminating the need to brush my teeth after consuming, those seeds get stuck! thank you detoxinista for dedication to this space and the perfect smoothie;)

14. Erica

So very yummy!!! And it’s true that there’s no spinach taste in this whatsoever. The cinnamon and vanilla give it a nice fall-like flavor.

15. Sneha

This is the first smoothie that I have ever made. I could never understand how something can look green and still taste good. Thanks to this smoothie I now get it! 🙂

Thank you so much for this recipe.