Chocolate Banana Soft-Serve

One of the things I missed most when experimenting with raw foods was ice cream–> particularly the soft serve variety! Fortunately, I discovered the wonder that is “banana soft serve.”

It’s so rich and creamy, you’ll never miss the traditional stuff again.

My favorite flavor to make is chocolate, because it masks the banana flavor, fooling even the pickiest of eaters!

Chocolate Banana Soft-Serve
Serves: 1

A healthy alternative to traditional soft serve!
  • 1 frozen banana
  • 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
  • 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup (optional)
  • ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
  • almond milk or water, as needed to facilitate blending
  1. Combine all ingredients in a blender or mini food processor, and blend until smooth and creamy. Serve immediately!

Possible Variations:

• Add 1-2 tablespoons of natural peanut butter for Chocolate-Peanut Butter soft-serve (my husband’s favorite!)
  • Add an extra tablespoon of cocoa (2 T. total) for Dark Chocolate soft-serve
  • Add a few fresh mint leaves for Chocolate-Mint soft-serve
  • Omit the cocoa powder, and add some of your favorite frozen fruit instead! (i.e. strawberries, mango, cherries)

…the possibilities are endless!

This recipe is great for using those overripe bananas that you don’t know what to do with. Simply store them as chunks in the freezer, and you’ll always have frozen bananas on hand that are perfectly sweet and creamy!

Enjoy!

Comments

1. says

Howdy, new reader. I celebrated having a hot run in the TX heat, but I didn’t perhaps realize today was the first day of summer because it’s felt like summer here approximately 4 months now. Your own beverages looked yummy! Margaretta Dorce

2. Kate says

How does dessert like the choc banana soft serve effect food combining? By the way, I tried it tonight and it is AMAZING!!
    Shouldn’t fruit like bananas be eaten on a empty stomach?

• Megan says

Yes, fruit should be consumed on an empty stomach, but they also combine with raw leafy greens. So you could easily enjoy some banana soft serve after a raw salad topped with avocado. Bananas are also unique in the fact that they combine with dried fruit, nuts and seeds, so you could enjoy the soft-serve after a raw meal of those as well.

Many raw-foodists actually eat their dessert FIRST to avoid worrying about any food combining rules! (I’m not one of them– I still like my sweets at the end, so I just eat a properly combined dinner first!)

3. Lindsay says

I made this for dessert tonight and it is TOP NOTCH!! A definite keeper in our household now!! Thank you for a wonderful dairy-free creamy dessert! We will be making this a lot!

4. Traynese Payne says

When making ice cream with Almond milk, what can I use that will give it the same texture and rich taste without using any dairy ingredients?

• says

Most recipes that I’ve seen call for coconut oil and some sort of neutral-tasting nut, like cashews or macadamias. When blended together, they make a pretty authentic tasting ice cream! Young coconut meat works well as a thickener, too.

Now that it’s getting warmer outside, maybe I’ll start experimenting with some more ice cream recipes soon!

5. Jeanne says

I made this with frozen banana “coins”, a bit of organic half and half and some pure vanilla. AWESOME! No additional sweetener needed. Thank you so much! Looking forward to trying variations.

6. says

We have been enjoying frozen banana ice cream for a little better than a year now. My mother-in-law bought us a nifty little machine called a Yo-nana. Place your frozen banana in the top of the machine, turn it on and push it through. It looks just like ice cream. I love to eat it without toppings as well. Anyway, great machine for some quick ice cream.

Trackbacks