Chocolate Banana Soft-Serve

One of the things I missed most when experimenting with raw foods was ice cream–> particularly the soft serve variety! Fortunately, I discovered the wonder that is “banana soft serve.”

It’s so rich and creamy, you’ll never miss the traditional stuff again.

My favorite flavor to make is chocolate, because it masks the banana flavor, fooling even the pickiest of eaters!

Chocolate Banana Soft-Serve
Serves: 1

A healthy alternative to traditional soft serve!
  • 1 frozen banana
  • 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
  • 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup (optional)
  • ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
  • almond milk or water, as needed to facilitate blending
  1. Combine all ingredients in a blender or mini food processor, and blend until smooth and creamy. Serve immediately!

Possible Variations:

• Add 1-2 tablespoons of natural peanut butter for Chocolate-Peanut Butter soft-serve (my husband’s favorite!)
  • Add an extra tablespoon of cocoa (2 T. total) for Dark Chocolate soft-serve
  • Add a few fresh mint leaves for Chocolate-Mint soft-serve
  • Omit the cocoa powder, and add some of your favorite frozen fruit instead! (i.e. strawberries, mango, cherries)

…the possibilities are endless!

This recipe is great for using those overripe bananas that you don’t know what to do with. Simply store them as chunks in the freezer, and you’ll always have frozen bananas on hand that are perfectly sweet and creamy!

Enjoy!

36 thoughts on “Chocolate Banana Soft-Serve

1. Pingback: Eating like a Sewer Rat « Healthy Hoggin'

2. Pingback: Eating like a Sewer Rat « Healthy Hoggin'

3. Pingback: Back on Track « Healthy Hoggin'

4. Pingback: Back on Track « Healthy Hoggin'

5. Pingback: Monday Insanity « Healthy Hoggin'

6. Pingback: Monday Insanity « Healthy Hoggin'

7. Pingback: Grilled Sesame-Ginger Chicken, Chocolate Banana Soft-serve, and Blog Notes

8. Pingback: Almond Breeze Taste and Make a Difference Program « Healthy Hoggin'

9. Pingback: Almond Breeze Taste and Make a Difference Program « Healthy Hoggin'

10. Pingback: Whole Foods told me to do it… « Healthy Hoggin'

11. Pingback: Whole Foods told me to do it… « Healthy Hoggin'

12. Pingback: Off Schedule « Food, Fitness, & Fun

13. Pingback: Drinking a 1/2 Yard « Healthy Hoggin'

14. Pingback: Drinking a 1/2 Yard « Healthy Hoggin'

15. Pingback: “Banana Bread” Oatmeal « Food, Fitness, & Fun

1. Cyri

I always make frozen banana soft serve and I wouldn’t cut them too thin because you will be adding almond milk and wouldn’t want it to be a smoothie after a bit of blending.

My go to variation of the recipe would be omitting the chocolate and adding cinnamon instead :0 🙂

16. Pingback: Homemade Frozen Yogurt « Healthy Hoggin'

17. Pingback: Homemade Frozen Yogurt « Healthy Hoggin'

18. Margaretta Dorce

Howdy, new reader. I celebrated having a hot run in the TX heat, but I didn’t perhaps realize today was the first day of summer because it’s felt like summer here approximately 4 months now. Your own beverages looked yummy! Margaretta Dorce

19. Kate

How does dessert like the choc banana soft serve effect food combining? By the way, I tried it tonight and it is AMAZING!!
    Shouldn’t fruit like bananas be eaten on a empty stomach?

Yes, fruit should be consumed on an empty stomach, but they also combine with raw leafy greens. So you could easily enjoy some banana soft serve after a raw salad topped with avocado. Bananas are also unique in the fact that they combine with dried fruit, nuts and seeds, so you could enjoy the soft-serve after a raw meal of those as well.

Many raw-foodists actually eat their dessert FIRST to avoid worrying about any food combining rules! (I’m not one of them– I still like my sweets at the end, so I just eat a properly combined dinner first!)

20. Lindsay

I made this for dessert tonight and it is TOP NOTCH!! A definite keeper in our household now!! Thank you for a wonderful dairy-free creamy dessert! We will be making this a lot!

21. Traynese Payne

When making ice cream with Almond milk, what can I use that will give it the same texture and rich taste without using any dairy ingredients?

Most recipes that I’ve seen call for coconut oil and some sort of neutral-tasting nut, like cashews or macadamias. When blended together, they make a pretty authentic tasting ice cream! Young coconut meat works well as a thickener, too.

Now that it’s getting warmer outside, maybe I’ll start experimenting with some more ice cream recipes soon!

22. Jeanne

I made this with frozen banana “coins”, a bit of organic half and half and some pure vanilla. AWESOME! No additional sweetener needed. Thank you so much! Looking forward to trying variations.

23. Michelle

We have been enjoying frozen banana ice cream for a little better than a year now. My mother-in-law bought us a nifty little machine called a Yo-nana. Place your frozen banana in the top of the machine, turn it on and push it through. It looks just like ice cream. I love to eat it without toppings as well. Anyway, great machine for some quick ice cream.

24. Pingback: Chocolate Banana Soft Serve Ice Cream | Pep's Free From Kitchen

25. Lisa

Hi Megan – Is there a way to make this so that it will freeze well and then serve it later? I froze it and it crystalized – guessing from the water. Also, my kids said it was too banana-ee even with the cacao powder. Is that because of the bananas I used? They were ripe and spotted, but maybe too ripe or not ripe enough? I would appreciate your input. Thanks! (loving your site and cookbook!)