Detox Blonde Macaroons

I’ve got a special recipe to share with you all today.

My nut-free macaroons!

These rich, buttery morsels are an easier-to-digest treat that won’t ruin your health efforts! But be warned: They’re downright addictive.

Detox Blonde Macaroons
yields 22-24, depending on size

2 2/3 cups shredded unsweetened coconut (**see note below for a coconut butter substitution)
2 (additional) cups shredded unsweetened coconut
3/4 cup pure maple syrup
1 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. pure almond extract (*optional, omit this for nut-allergies)
1/4 tsp. fine sea salt

Start with your 2 2/3 cups of shredded unsweetened coconut:

If you pay close attention to this particular packaging–> you’ll see that this bag contains EXACTLY 2 2/3 cups! Hence, where I came up with the measurement. (note: this brand is available at most Whole Foods stores and on Amazon)

Simply dump the whole bag into your high-powered blender or food processor, and blend until you have a creamy coconut butter.

In a Vita-Mix, this takes under a minute on the “low” setting. In a food processor, it may take longer. (I’ve heard it takes up to 10 minutes in a food processor– so be patient!) Be sure to scrape the sides a couple times, so that you have an even consistency.

**Substitution note: For those of you who have asked, blending the 2 2/3 coconut turns into just about one cup of coconut butter. If you can’t make your own coconut butter, you could easily use Artisana’s Coconut Butter instead.

You can see how THICK this butter turns out (it’s also slightly grainy):

Add in the rest of the ingredients and mix well with a spatula. The batter should stick together well:

Drop batter by small rounded spoonfuls onto your dehydrator sheets, or if you’re using the “oven method,” drop them onto a pan lined with a silpat, or parchment paper:

Oven method: Preheat your oven to 300F, and bake macaroons for 22-26 minutes, watching closely so that they don’t burn. Macaroons will be crisp on the outside, soft and buttery on the inside. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for an additional 25 minutes, so that they firm up. Place the macaroons in the fridge or freezer to “set” further, or serve immediately! (I personally like them best served at room temperature!)

Dehydrator Method: Simply dehydrate your macaroons at 145 degrees for the first hour, then reduce the temperature to 118 degrees, if you’d like to keep them raw, checking on them every 2-3 hours until they are firm and crisp on the outside. (If you’re impatient, crank it up to 155F and they’ll be ready in a couple hours!)

(Feel free to drizzle some melted dark chocolate on top to make these extra-decadent!)

Store macaroons in an air-tight container for up to 5 days. (if they last that long!) For a longer shelf-life, store them in the freezer–> they’ll last a LONG time in there! My husband actually prefers his macaroons frozen!

Enjoy!

Detox Blonde Macaroons
Serves: 2 dozen

These buttery macaroons are naturally sweetened and a guaranteed crowd-pleaser!
  • 2⅔ cups shredded unsweetened coconut (or one cup coconut butter)
  • 2 (additional) cups shredded unsweetened coconut
  • ¾ cup pure maple syrup
  • 1¼ tsp. vanilla extract
  • ½ tsp. pure almond extract
  • ¼ tsp. fine sea salt
  1. Begin by blending the 2⅔ cups of shredded unsweetened coconut in a food processor or blender, until you have a creamy coconut butter. (This takes a couple minutes in a blender, and up to 10 minutes in a food processor.) Be sure to scrape the sides a couple times, so that you have an even consistency. *If using store-bought coconut butter, move on to the next step.
  2. Add in the rest of the ingredients and mix well with a spatula. The batter should be sticky and uniform.
  3. Drop the batter by small rounded spoonfuls onto your dehydrator sheets. If you're using the "oven method," drop them onto a pan lined with a Silpat, or parchment paper.
  4. Oven method: Preheat your oven to 300F, and bake macaroons for 22-26 minutes, watching closely so that they don't burn. Macaroons will be crisp on the outside, soft and buttery on the inside, and very tender. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for an additional 25 minutes, so that they firm up. Place the macaroons in the fridge or freezer to "set" further, or serve immediately! (I personally like them best served at room temperature.)
  5. Dehydrator Method: Dehydrate your macaroons at 145 degrees for the first hour, then reduce to 118 degrees (if you care to keep them raw) for up to 12 hours, periodically checking for crispness. They are ready when they are firm and crispy on the outside, but still tender on the inside. (If you're impatient, dehydrate at 155F for 2-3 hours.)
  6. Store macaroons in an air-tight container for up to 5 days. For a longer shelf-life, store them in the freezer--> they'll last a LONG time in there!
Notes
Drizzle some melted dark chocolate on top to make these extra-decadent!

Let me know if you give ’em a try!

**Some of you have also asked about using coconut flour instead of coconut butter–> since I haven’t tried this method yet, I’m not quite sure what the measurements would be, but I’d suggest starting with 1 cup of coconut flour, and adding a 1/3 cup coconut oil. (I’ll be sure to update this recipe if I try it myself!)

179 thoughts on “Detox Blonde Macaroons

1. Kristen

These came out a little too wet/loose for me. I used 3/4 cup coconut butter maybe that’s why? I dehydrated at 145 for an hour and then 115 for another 9-10 hours. Will try to use about 1/2 the maple next time 🙂

2. Irene

I love these cookies! I’ve made them a few times now and they are a nightly sweet treat for us after dinner. I think the real key is making sure the first 2- 2/3cups of coconut are really close to a paste.
    I have tried the peanut butter banana ice cream and the avocado mint with chocolate ice cream and they are big hits in the house as well.

Thank you for the awesome recipes!

3. Robin

So rich and buttery it’s hard to believe they are healthier for you!! I ate some right out the oven but I can’t wait to freeze them and make them my frozen treat as well! Thanks for sharing! My computer is not acting right but this gets five stars from me! Quick & easy to prepare and absolutely divine!

4. Ronna

These are amazing! My 8 and 10 year old and their friend loved them too! I am bringing them for Passover tomorrow night 🙂
    Thank you for sharing this!

5. Niv

I know it’s been a while since this recipe was posted but I just found your blog and started following it. I have always loved coconut macaroons and since I started eating clean, I wasn’t able to enjoy them because of all that sweetened condensed milk. Well, I saw this recipe and made the macaroons earlier today and let me just say that they are AMAZING!!!! I really cannot tell that these are a healthier version of that refined sugar and dairy laden treat from before. These are just fantastic! Thank you so much!!

6. Pingback: ‘Not-So-Dumb’ Blonde Macaroons – Only 4 Ingredients

7. Beth

Megan,
    These are wonderful. I have made them 3 times now and they just get better. I was wondering if you had the nutritional value for a serving of these amazing treats? I’m sorry if I missed the info if it is already listed. Thanks in advance and I feel really lucky to have found such a wonderful recipe to support my sweet habit.

8. Tiffany

I’ve made these before using Cinnamon and coconut oil as a binder, and EATING THEM RAW instead of baking. They’re delicious like that too!

9. Kathy

These were sooooo yummy! The best macaroons I have tried so far. Thank you for sharing. I also love your cashew icing recipe! I am loving your site. Thank you.

10. Pingback: http://detoxinista.com/ | Following My Gut

11. Pingback: Attack Of The Munchies!

12. hair loss in women

Hmm it appears like your site ate my first comment (it was extremely long) so I guess I’ll just sum it up what I wrote and say, I’m thoroughly enjoying
    your blog. I too am an aspiring blog writer
    but I’m still new to everything. Do you have any helpful hints for first-time blog writers? I’d definitely appreciate it.

13. Veronica

Hi Megan, I’ve tried making these twice and in both occasions I did not achieve butter consistency despite processing the coconut in the Vitamix for about 4 min. I don’t have the dry foods attachment, but it should still work, right? Any suggestions?

In any case what I ended up doing was delicious! the first time I added some cashew butter to the fine coconut powder, mixed in the maple syrup and the result was crumbly cookies similar to what you call Mexican wedding cookies. The second time (today) I added almond “nearly butter”, honey and carob
    powder, less crumbly and also yummy! Thanks for the inspiration

14. Lisa

Can’t wait to try these! I have been buying cocoroons and they are like $9 a bag! I keep thinking to myself, “I bet I could make these myself,” thanks for sharing.

PS: Dont listen to the haters, she obviouly has some issues of her own :). Love your recipes.

15. Pingback: Detox Blonde Macaroons « Detoxinista | One Fit Widow

16. Mary

I made these last night & loved them (so did my mom & husband)! I did have a couple cookies that “ran”, but I noticed a little syrup pooled at the bottom of the batter so I think that was the cause. I will definitely need to invest in either silpat or parchment paper because I just buttered the cookie sheet & most of the cookies ended up sticking. I might try your tips of adding a smidge more shredded coconut next time & maybe knock the temp down to 275 & bake for longer to avoid spreading. Thanks for this wonderful recipe! I love that it is grain-free & vegan, too!

17. Miranda

I had never made macaroons until I made these tonight and OMG…delicious! I’m so glad I stumbled across the recipe on your website. They’re perfectly crunchy on the outside with a delightful buttery softness in the middle. Pure joy. 🙂

Thank you!

18. Erika

Hello im not sure if someone already ask this question ,but i havent read anyones post,but i have a question can i use the shreded coconut just the way it comes,i ask this is because i work in a restaurant and thats the way they do it,but i will love to follow your recepe because they put other stuff on it like eggs and i love yours because is so clean but i love felling the big pieces of coconut 🙂

You are using half of the shredded coconut just the way it comes, but no, this recipe will NOT work if you don’t blend the other half into a butter. You would need to use eggs, like traditional recipes call for, to bind it otherwise.

19. Karlene

Coconut Fans Unite!!!
    – I just made these for the first time tonight… and they’re FABULOUS!!

Thanks, Detoxinista!! 🙂

20. Val

Thank you so very much for sharing this recipe!
    I followed the recipe exactly.
    They were absolutely to die for!
    Excellent, excellent!! Everyone agreed!
    Thank you, very much!!

21. Jenna

Either my Vitamix is a piece of crap or I’m using the wrong coconut or…? Followed the directions exactly and all I got out of it was superfine chopped coconut, NOT coconut butter or any kind of creamy substance. Any help?

22. J

Just had to tell you that I LOVE your page….seriously, your recipes are stellar and make eating healthy actually FUN!

23. Pingback: Guest Post on The Detoxinista: Raw Cauliflower Tabouli | I Spy the Beautiful

24. Silja

How about using honey instead of maple syrup? Guess I will try this out! I love honey and it is easily available here, in Estonia. The same does not go for maple syrup though! Anyway, guess it’s best to use the local produce as much as possible.

25. Jeremy

I only have flaked coconut at home. Will that work if I first process in in the food processor to have more of a shredded consistency?

26. Melané Fahner-Botha

Hi Megan, today I made these for the 2nd time but tried to make a half batch (to give my weight a break;-) ). Turned out it’s too small a batch for the blender or the processor so when I got bored with the butter that wasn’t buttering too well I added a tablespoon of coconut oil (unmelted) worked it through VERY well and the result is divine. Tonight we are having dinner with friends and instead of dessert I’m serving each with coffee, an egg cup of your brownie fudge and 3 macaroons. Doesn’t that sound delicious? When I’ve plated it I’ll take a pic and send it to you.
    Love ‘n thanks for your inspiration

27. Mary Ann

Holy Mother of all things Beautiful! Megan these macaroons are Incredible. Mine actually came out looking more like cookies, but I certainly could care less about that. These taste fabulous! Thank you so much for this recipe.

28. Berenice

They are definitely detox 🙂 I’ve been cleansing all day since its all I have eat since I made them..lol (TMI) they’re so good! The maple syrup sugar and fat in your body seams to go away naturally :0 Thank you Megan for this great and simple recipe.

29. bev

I just have to tell you how much we love these cookies!!
    I have made them countless times and they always turn out amazing (as long as I am patient enough to let the coconut get nice and creamy in the food processor!) Everyone who tries these little gems always want the recipe. I have always loved macaroons and have tried so many other recipes that have never turned out….these were the first that taste way better than any bought macaroon I have tried. Thanks SO much!!!

30. Melané Fahner-Botha

Hi Megan, a quick question here: the use of apple sauce as a filler-outer for baking has me stumped as here in Holland we can only buy sweetened stuff with all kinds of additives. On the net recipes vary and I wondered: have you made your own, did you use a sweetening agent, could I do without sweetener (not liking too much dependence on a sweet taste) and did you PEEL the APPLES? Being born lazy this is important:-)
    Thanks
    Melané

1. Kara

HI! I have made applesauce in a crockpot with old mushy apples and with skins on, no water, I believe, as the apples had enough, cook on high til tender then put in blender, you can hardly tell the skins were on. no sweetener needed!

31. Kara

I made these last night with canned coconut cream from trader joes instead of making my own. They just didn’t set. Batter tasted delicious, but after letting them cool for half hour and putting them in frig, still feel apart. Freezer ones were ok, but don’t think I can bring these to the party. That’s fine, more for me. Any thoughts?

Coconut cream is just the fat from coconut milk, so it’s not the same as coconut butter– that would definitely affect the texture! Be sure to use coconut butter, which is thick, more like the texture of almond butter.

32. Pingback: KIOSB D30: Coconut Macaroons Recipe | Heather Luxion, Career Coach

33. Stephanie Atwood

I loved these! I found it was easier to create the coconut butter if I just added the maple syrup in with the coconut! It turned out great and the coconut was smoother for me! Thanks for the great recipes!

34. Kaelene

YAY! I made these. I ran into EVERY issue under the sun. I think it was my ingredients. I used the bob red mill coconut. Its not as naturally oily as the one from trader joes. I blended and blended and blended. 15 minutes in and no change, I decided to add about tablespoons coconut oil. THEN we had magic. If this wasn’t insult enough. When I got to the syrup part, I WAS OUT. My fiance used the last bit and put it BACK in teh cabinet. I ended up using honey.

Mine still tasted good. So next time. When I follow the recipe. I am sure it will be great! 🙂

35. Sue

First of all, let me say that I adore your website. It has helped me so much in trying to stick to my diet, which I am on due to autoimmune disease. You are a very talented chef!

I tried to make coconut butter. Many websites advise using a similar method described here, but it did not work for me. My blender, which is not a Vitamix but still a good quality Cuisinart, got overheated and couldn’t get the job done, even after several minutes. The food processor started smoking in no time! I wonder how other people are doing this?

I finally gave up and used peanut butter and they turned out OK tasting but too crumbly.

Sue

36. Sue L

Loved them both before and after baking. Much healthier version that will replace my macaroon recipe that use sweetened condensed milk.

37. Marissa

I tried making these, bought the coconut from the bulk section of smiths-its shredded unsweetened coconut. I put it in the blendtec for less than a minute and it went to more of a soupy texture instead of the thick creamy. That was my first worry but figured I would still try them out. I put everything together and the dough tasted great. When I baked them in the oven they went completely flat and melted all together! Just wondering if you know what I did wrong or if I just need to buy that certain kind of coconut! Thanks!

38. Pingback: Vanilla Macaroons | Jennifer Geiss

39. Linda

Thanks for sharing this recipe. I just made these and they are truly heavenly! Excellent treat that is good for you. What more can I say other than WOW!

40. Lauren

Thank you for these healthy delicacies! I have a pretty basic problem…I tried melting chocolate to drizzle on top (per dads request-he’s been waiting out since last night to eat them), but I didn’t seem to do it right. I put a cup of chocolate chips in the microwave and stirred them, but it just got too thick then burned when I put it in a little longer. Any suggestions??

41. adrianna

I’m in the midst of a cleanse right now and I can actually have these EXCEPT no processed sugar is part of the regimen as well. Any thoughts on using Dates with this recipe for the sweetness? or anything else?
    Thanks so much!

42. Maydo

Delicious!!! made them over a week ago …I added some drizzled dark chocolate over half the batch! I love them and my husband too! what a treat!

43. Jennifer

Megan – you are a genius! I finally made these last night, and they were absolutely perfect. I used the oven method with parchment paper, and didn’t have any issues. I also used the Ninja Professional blender to make the coconut butter, and it did work after about 6 minutes of pulse-blending. This was such a fun recipe, and by far the best macaroons I have ever tasted. Thank you so much for this.

44. Pingback: Strides Against The Grain

45. Natasha

I made these this weekend and they were a HUGE hit at my house! I added some fresh raspberries and they were soo good! Even better then the store bought ones! Thanks for the recipe!

46. Jacinta

Hi,
    I made these last week, but ran into a slight technical issue in that they seemed to melt together into a cake. I still cut them up and they were delicious but not as nice as yours astheticaly. Any tips to avoid this happening next time?
    The only things I did different from your recipe was used rice syrup instead of maple and didn’t have almond oil.
    Thanks,
    Jacinta

47. Nena

I was looking all over for a recipe for macaroons that had a coconut butter base as most just use coconut oil,shredded coconut and maple syrup(salt and flavoring). I can’t wait to try these. The ones on the market are so moist inside and I think your recipe will produce a outcome more like what I am looking for. THANKS SO MUCH!!

48. Julie

This turned out SO good, instead of using maple syrup I used honey (since my brother cannot eat syrup). The moment I made it the smell was just telling me to eat one on the spot, but I waited for them to firm up and it was worth the wait. It was SOOOOOO good <333 thank you for sharing such a GREAT recipe <3

49. Billi

I just made these, it’s been a month since I changed our eating habits
    And the one thing I have missed is something sweet. Well not anymore!!
    I am going to put most of them in the freezer, otherwise I might not trust
    Myself to eat just one! They are so good it’s hard to imagine that they are
    Not bad for you!! I am looking forward to sharing them with my family.
    I will be making them again, Thank you!

50. Pingback: Going Gluten Free | Corinne O'Flynn

51. Mindy

Hi there,

My entire family is getting together on Christmas Eve and everyone is bringing their favorite cookies. There will be at least 6 or 7 different cookies if not more. However, they will all be gluten FILLED, which leaves me out.

So, am thinking I will make these for me.

Wondering if you have ever tried to dip them in melted chocolate and then let harden?? And, if so, how did it work?

Thanks so much!

52. Mindy

For whatever reason, these did not remain in the shape of balls, but flattened with a remaining lil’ bump in the middle when I made them. But, may I say that it did NOT matter. They were absolutely delicious! Addictively (a word? – ha) so! Yum, Yum, YUM!

A keeper for certain!

1. Mindy

Forgot to say that I am sad to say goodbye to these for a good while as I am going completely off of all sugars, including honey, maple syrup, agave…all of it. Even fruit!(except lemons, limes and berries).

So, goodbye lovely macaroons!

🙁

53. Pingback: 52 Surprising Things to Make in a Vitamix - Perfect Your Lifestyle

54. Pingback: Healthier Coconut Macaroons | The NY Melrose Family

55. Pingback: Blonde Macaroons | Kristin Baker's Recipes

56. becca

Is coconut cream the same as coconut butter?
    Thanks for a yummy recipe….a friend made them and I am eager to try the recipe.

I don’t think so. I think coconut cream is the cream from coconut milk, while coconut butter is just pulverized coconut meat. It’s very thick and slightly grainy!

This recipe turns out best with a dehydrator, and I didn’t want to call for any special equipment (like a dehydrator) in the cookbook. I wanted to keep all of the cookbook recipes REALLY easy and approachable!

57. Tera

These were SO good! I made them in my super crappy circular plastic dehydrator with no temperature control. They took about 18 hours before the outsides were good and crunchy, and the insides were still moist and soft. We ate them all in 3 days, and now I’m brainstorming other flavors – maybe a little lemon zest!

58. Pingback: Healthier Coconut Macaroons - The Taylor House

59. Gia

Choirs of angels are singing in my mouth and belly right now! Grabbed a hot cup of decaf coffee and snacking on one right out of the oven- OMG!

60. Finger licking good

Thank you for this delicious receipe! I purchased a raw desert cookbook that featured these bad boys, made them and I can’t stop eating them!

61. Julia

Is it better to blend the coconut or just use the coconut butter? is there a difference? Thank you. these look delicious!

They should be pretty much identical, so the main difference is that store-bough coconut butter is much more expensive.

62. Maria

I am so addicted to these blondies it’s not even funny!!! Sooooo good. Thank you so much for sharing. I keep promising friends I’ll make them some but they never seem to leave my house lol! Oh and I substituted honey for the maple syrup still amazing.

63. Valerie Rosenbaum

I have been making these for a few years now! So delist. I love that they are so healthy! I never feel guilty eating them for breakfast. Also I have been adding the dark chocolate drizzle since day one. They look so festive!! Thank you for you wonderful recipes.