Detox Blonde Macaroons

I’ve got a special recipe to share with you all today.

My nut-free macaroons!

These rich, buttery morsels are an easier-to-digest treat that won’t ruin your health efforts! But be warned: They’re downright addictive.

Detox Blonde Macaroons
yields 22-24, depending on size

2 2/3 cups shredded unsweetened coconut (**see note below for a coconut butter substitution)
2 (additional) cups shredded unsweetened coconut
3/4 cup pure maple syrup
1 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. pure almond extract (*optional, omit this for nut-allergies)
1/4 tsp. fine sea salt

Start with your 2 2/3 cups of shredded unsweetened coconut:

If you pay close attention to this particular packaging–> you’ll see that this bag contains EXACTLY 2 2/3 cups! Hence, where I came up with the measurement. (note: this brand is available at most Whole Foods stores and on Amazon)

Simply dump the whole bag into your high-powered blender or food processor, and blend until you have a creamy coconut butter.

In a Vita-Mix, this takes under a minute on the “low” setting. In a food processor, it may take longer. (I’ve heard it takes up to 10 minutes in a food processor– so be patient!) Be sure to scrape the sides a couple times, so that you have an even consistency.

**Substitution note: For those of you who have asked, blending the 2 2/3 coconut turns into just about one cup of coconut butter. If you can’t make your own coconut butter, you could easily use Artisana’s Coconut Butter instead.

You can see how THICK this butter turns out (it’s also slightly grainy):

Add in the rest of the ingredients and mix well with a spatula. The batter should stick together well:

Drop batter by small rounded spoonfuls onto your dehydrator sheets, or if you’re using the “oven method,” drop them onto a pan lined with a silpat, or parchment paper:

Oven method: Preheat your oven to 300F, and bake macaroons for 22-26 minutes, watching closely so that they don’t burn. Macaroons will be crisp on the outside, soft and buttery on the inside. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for an additional 25 minutes, so that they firm up. Place the macaroons in the fridge or freezer to “set” further, or serve immediately! (I personally like them best served at room temperature!)

Dehydrator Method: Simply dehydrate your macaroons at 145 degrees for the first hour, then reduce the temperature to 118 degrees, if you’d like to keep them raw, checking on them every 2-3 hours until they are firm and crisp on the outside. (If you’re impatient, crank it up to 155F and they’ll be ready in a couple hours!)

(Feel free to drizzle some melted dark chocolate on top to make these extra-decadent!)

Store macaroons in an air-tight container for up to 5 days. (if they last that long!) For a longer shelf-life, store them in the freezer–> they’ll last a LONG time in there! My husband actually prefers his macaroons frozen!

Enjoy!

Detox Blonde Macaroons
Serves: 2 dozen

These buttery macaroons are naturally sweetened and a guaranteed crowd-pleaser!
  • 2⅔ cups shredded unsweetened coconut (or one cup coconut butter)
  • 2 (additional) cups shredded unsweetened coconut
  • ¾ cup pure maple syrup
  • 1¼ tsp. vanilla extract
  • ½ tsp. pure almond extract
  • ¼ tsp. fine sea salt
  1. Begin by blending the 2⅔ cups of shredded unsweetened coconut in a food processor or blender, until you have a creamy coconut butter. (This takes a couple minutes in a blender, and up to 10 minutes in a food processor.) Be sure to scrape the sides a couple times, so that you have an even consistency. *If using store-bought coconut butter, move on to the next step.
  2. Add in the rest of the ingredients and mix well with a spatula. The batter should be sticky and uniform.
  3. Drop the batter by small rounded spoonfuls onto your dehydrator sheets. If you're using the "oven method," drop them onto a pan lined with a Silpat, or parchment paper.
  4. Oven method: Preheat your oven to 300F, and bake macaroons for 22-26 minutes, watching closely so that they don't burn. Macaroons will be crisp on the outside, soft and buttery on the inside, and very tender. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for an additional 25 minutes, so that they firm up. Place the macaroons in the fridge or freezer to "set" further, or serve immediately! (I personally like them best served at room temperature.)
  5. Dehydrator Method: Dehydrate your macaroons at 145 degrees for the first hour, then reduce to 118 degrees (if you care to keep them raw) for up to 12 hours, periodically checking for crispness. They are ready when they are firm and crispy on the outside, but still tender on the inside. (If you're impatient, dehydrate at 155F for 2-3 hours.)
  6. Store macaroons in an air-tight container for up to 5 days. For a longer shelf-life, store them in the freezer--> they'll last a LONG time in there!
Notes
Drizzle some melted dark chocolate on top to make these extra-decadent!

Let me know if you give ’em a try!

**Some of you have also asked about using coconut flour instead of coconut butter–> since I haven’t tried this method yet, I’m not quite sure what the measurements would be, but I’d suggest starting with 1 cup of coconut flour, and adding a 1/3 cup coconut oil. (I’ll be sure to update this recipe if I try it myself!)

Hi, I’m Megan. A former fast food junkie turned certified nutritionist consultant, trying to make healthy living as easy as possible. I believe in eating delicious whole foods on a regular basis to help naturally support the body’s detox organsβ€” no juice fasting required. (Unless you want to!) If you make one of my healthy recipes, tag @detoxinista on Instagram or Facebook so I can see!

179 thoughts on “Detox Blonde Macaroons

1. Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga)

Holly is the sweetest girl and im so glad she won! she just won a give away of mine, some probiotic herbs…ha! And you’re giving her macs. Great combo πŸ™‚

Wow those look stellar, love the recipe! I dehyd stuff at like 140 for way less time. Girl, i have no patience for that 48 hrs dehyd stuff! my god, after 6 hrs im ready for it to be DONE!

And your email to me re your Bro and helping him…blessings and hugs to you, you are a light and a healing ray of light for him. Ok i sound hokey, ill stop πŸ™‚

You know what Gina over at The Fitnessista and I have in common? We have both read the same book, The Raw Food Detox Diet, and it “clicked” with us. So, YES, of course we have some similar food on our blogs. One of the reasons that I liked Gina’s blog in the first place was that she ate similarly to me.

I’m not going to change what I eat simply because it happens to be similar to Gina. Yes, she has a popular blog, but that doesn’t mean that she’s the only one who can post about green smoothies and macaroons (or that she was even the first one to do it). That would be like telling all bloggers that they can’t eat oatmeal or “overnight oats” because someone else does it on another blog, too! Come on.

Yes, I drink green smoothies (I actually learned about them WAY before discovering Gina’s blog, when I read the book Green for Life, almost 3 years ago), yes, I make a cherry pudding that is inspired by Kristen’s blog (not Gina’s– she gives credit to Kristen for that one as well), and yes, I make macaroons–> there’s a recipe for them in practically EVERY raw food book out there! So good luck finding an aspiring raw foodie who HASN’T made macaroons. And of course mine look like Gina’s! That’s like saying my chocolate chip cookies look like another blogger’s chocolate chip cookies. They’re cookies. That’s how they look.

And, no, I don’t do TurboFire. But many other bloggers do, so are you going to go give them a hard time, too?

Personally, I think the whole point of reading and writing blogs is to SHARE food and fitness ideas. If Gina didn’t want her fellow blog readers and writers to try a certain smoothie or workout, then WHY would she even bother taking the time to post them?! In fact, if I saw more bloggers posting the same food as me, it would bring me much joy knowing that the health and happiness is spreading. Isn’t that the point?!

3. Pingback: Hello spring! You’ve been missed. « The journey to get fit and fit in

4. dana

I can’t wait to try these- I love that coconut flour and shredded coconut are the ingredients- I am wondering if you can give an idea of how much flour you get after grindig the 2 &2/3 cup shredded coconut… I have bags of coconut flour I need to use up and want to use that instead of the grinding process. Thanks!!

5. Lea @ Healthy Coconut

I saw in the recipe that you shredded coconut and process it to get it finer. Can I just use coconut flour? or will that change the recipe too much. I have a bag of coconut flour that I want to use and always look for recipes that I can use it with.

Thanks for sharing this recipe and I’m sorry you received that comment #8. You are doing a great job with your blog. I learned more about eating raw foods by reading your blog.

~ Lea

6. Pingback: Weekend Catch-up « Healthy Hoggin'

7. Sue

Gosh, I just went back to read this post and saw that comment from Katie. The one thing I’d like to add is that Fitnessista refuses to post “her” macaroon recipe – saying she’s “saving it for a possible cookbook.” I applaud people like you and Averie from Love Veggies and Yoga and Angela from Oh She Glows for sharing so much of what you find works. Isn’t that what this is all about? Sharing.

So, thanks, Megan. For being cool and all.

8. Pingback: Hunt for a Healthier Halloween Treat « Healthy Hoggin'

9. Pingback: I’ve got a lot to live up to… « Healthy Hoggin'

10. Pingback: Elvis-Butter Cups « Healthy Hoggin'

11. Pingback: Taking it Easy « Healthy Hoggin'

12. Pingback: Macaroon Monday « Healthy Hoggin'

13. Pingback: As Easy As Possible « Healthy Hoggin'

14. Pingback: I’m Baaa-aack! « Healthy Hoggin'

15. Pingback: Super Bowl Party Snacks « Healthy Hoggin'

16. Pingback: Detox Blonde Macaroons β€” Oh She Glows

17. Pingback: Detox Macaroon LOVE « Healthy Hoggin'

18. Pingback: Coco For Coconut! |

19. Kierstan @ Life {and running} in Iowa

Hello! Just had to swing by and say THANK YOU for sharing this recipe with Angela at Oh She Glows – these are AMAZING! Not sure what you were thinking sharing this recipe…it is soooo good I am sure you could have made millions selling them! πŸ™‚

I seriously cannot stop eating them!

20. Erin W.

Megan, I’m finally making your macaroons! They are “un-baking” in the oven right now. Although I think I’m still full from all the batter I just ate. Ha!

Just also saw the mean comment above – ignore that stuff. Your blog is awesome just the way it is. xoxo

21. Pingback: Coconut-Oat Macaroons « Healthy Food For Living

22. Pingback: Macaroons | Food Doodles

23. Pingback: Chia Oatmeal Energy Bars & Coconut-Oat Macaroons | Prevention RD

24. Pingback: The Athlete’s Plate Challenge: Coconut-Oat Macaroons | The Athlete's Plate

25. Pingback: 100 Recipes for a Healthy Summer - 21stCenturyNetworker

26. Pingback: Detox Friendly, Vegan, Gluten-free, and Sugar Free Macaroons | Food Doodles

27. Pingback: Blonde Macaroons

28. Pingback: 100 Recipes for a Healthy Summer » Skinny Jeans

29. Pingback: Macaroons Make It Better « Healthy Hoggin'

30. Elysse

I made this recipe tonight, and tweeked it a little. I replaced the maple syrup (as I had none) 1/2 cup raw organic honey. I also added 2 Tablespoons of coconut oil. They turned out very good, so delicious. I made them for my son, who has crohn’s disease, and coconut does wonders for him. Yes, he likes them, started picking them off the pan before they came out of the oven. Thank you!

1. Kate

These look great!,, can I put them up in the freezer to set them as I don’t have a dehydrator and my oven s lowest temp is 170′ would that temperature keep them raw or just freezer? Thanks for ur amazing recipes! You are an inspiration!,

The texture will be much different if you only freeze them, but I’m sure they’d stay together like that, if you don’t mind having a different result.

31. Lana

Hi Megan,

Where did you purchase the lovely mini baking cups for the macaroons?

I’ve been looking for them…

Lana

1. Lana

Thanks Megan so much. I’ll peruse at Michael’s and Ikea and see what I can find. If I happen to find cute ones elsewhere, I will definitely post on here for sures πŸ™‚

Happy Holidays πŸ˜€

32. Martha

Awesome! thanks. I am in the middle of Natalia’s 30 day cleanse and these macaroons are going to be a nice addition

1. laura black

I tried to make and the coconut did not turn into butter…. I have a vitamix too. I had to add in some coconut oil and then the maple syrup and vanilla to the vitamix and just blended till rough…. why didn’t the flakes go to butter?

Are you using the tamper with your Vitamix? That helps the coconut flakes stay close to the blades, turning it into butter faster. And you’re using the full amount of coconut? Less coconut won’t work. Also, make sure you’re using the full-fat coconut flakes (because they sell reduced fat flakes, too), and if it doesn’t become butter, just add a touch of coconut oil and keep blending– it should look like butter within just a minute or two in a high-speed blender like the Vitamix. Though, keep in mind that the butter isn’t silky smooth in texture… it still has a slightly grainy texture.

33. Heather

megan! I made these yesterday for a passover dinner and people kept coming up to me over and over! they were the biggest hit! They couldn’t believe it was all healthy ingredients. There’s no egg in this? I followed the recipe exactly doing the coconut butter sub you mention (using Artisana raw org coconut butter) and raw org shredded coconut from Ojio. This time I used maple syrup as you suggest. The first time I made them I used honey and maybe because of the kind I used it was too overwhelming a flavor. The maple syrup was just right! The next time I will try the stevia ones. Everyone wants the recipe so I will be linking away! TX!

I’m glad they were such a hit! The maple syrup is definitely key– these still beat the stevia-sweetened ones, so they’re my go-to crowd pleasing treat. But, of course, the stevia version is great if you want to enjoy them regularly and not worry about the sugar content!

34. joanna

These are so good thank you for the recipe… there were always my favourite cookie but since eating clean i have not had them. now i can and they are better than any store bought ones for sure. My husband and i are also on a cleanse and these are the only treat we can have…. again thanks

35. Pingback: grand marnier macaroons + mini photography crash course - the talking kitchen

36. Martha

OMG!!!!! My kids and I just made these. HEAVENLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We have officially renamed them to: “Oh My GOD Macaroons!!!!!!”

Thank you for sharing!

37. Lauren Gettinger

These are soooo addictive!! I’ve made them twice in the past week. My sister-in-law and I agree that they’re better than the original macaroon recipe. You’re a godess!

38. Pingback: Detox Blonde Macaroons Β« Detoxinista « My Law of Attraction Body

Hi Maria! I’ve labeled these macaroons to be detox-friendly because they call for clean, simple ingredients which can be enjoyed in the context of a cleansing lifestyle. Unlike most raw macaroon recipes, mine omit nuts, which also make them easier to digest!

Since the definition of “detox” varies by person to person, it’s obviously up to each individual to decide if these types of naturally-sweetened treats are appropriate for them… but in my experience, most of my clients have seen great results including them in their approach! πŸ™‚

39. Amber

Hello! I tried this recipe and my cookie fell flat… literally. It’s as though there was too much wet because the cookies did not hold shape. Help… what can I improve on?

That happened to me once, too! Since ovens can vary drastically with temperatures, I think it was due to my oven being too hot. These types of cookies need to dry out, rather than bake, so perhaps you could lower your oven temperature and bake a little longer next time. You could also try adding extra shredded coconut, to dry out the batter a bit more!

Hope that helps! πŸ™‚

40. Lisa

This is the first website I have come across, which makes me feel like I can satisfy my sweet tooth without sabotaging my attempts to eat whole foods. These macaroons (and the raw cheese cake as well) are AMAZING!! Thank you!

41. Lorrain

Love, love, love this recipe and your website! They turned out so yummy, I really couldn’t believe it. Have now tried this recipe; the cauliflower crust, and the peanut butter blondies. Because my daughter is vegan I have used a “flax egg” instead where an egg is called for and have been so happy with each recipe and how they have turned out. Thank you so much for all the hard work and tips you put in to each recipe, I am so glad I found this website and so is my family. πŸ™‚

42. Ginny

Made these today with my 4-year old granddaughter…she and I loved them, and when her mother came to pick her up and smelled the aroma in the house, of course, I had to share with her. She said they were delicious and I think she wanted more, but…I saved a few for a birthday celebration next week…I’m going to find little cups and drizzle chocolate to make them more special. It’s all I can do to keep out of them!!

Yes, coconut butter is actually dried coconut meat that has been blended into a smooth puree– it’s much thicker than coconut oil.

43. Pingback: Coconut macaroons | My Kitchen Crowd

44. Tennile

Great Photos!
    Great Recipes!
    Great Inspiration!

I am so happy I stumbled across your site!I can’t wait to see what else you have in store!

45. cathy f

Made this today – and they turned out great – the only problem was the coconut butter got hard (after I poured the cold maple syrup over the mixture and had a phone call). But in the end it all came together (warmed it gently). I made the coconut butter in my vita-mix – it was pretty amazing watching it turn into something else entirely – thank you so much for the recipe! It might be helpful to note that the 2 2/3 cup coconut is the equivalent of 8 oz by weight just in case you don’t buy the brand that you use!

The honey will change the flavor, so they won’t taste the same. However, I’m sure it can be done! I’d try using a little less honey, since I find that it’s sweeter than maple syrup.

46. Michele

Ok, these were a giant mess for me. Granted I forgot the salt but I don’t think a 1/4 teaspoon of salt would have helped the situation. The mixture didn’t stay uniform, maple syrup fell to the bottom of the bowl and even though I tried to continually mix before spooning the batter onto the sheets it didn’t work. When baking they were a giant mess. The oil and syrup just spread everywhere. These looked so good and what did seem to set up was so tasty that I would like to figure out where I went wrong. Do you think it could have been the salt? Should I have mixed more?

Is it possible that you used coconut oil instead of coconut butter? This recipe doesn’t call for any oil, so I’m not sure what oil you are referring to. Coconut butter is simply blended coconut meat, so the result is much thicker, resulting in a uniform batter.

1. Michele

Oops….I clearly can’t read very well πŸ™‚ I guess I will have to try these again with the correct ingredients this time! Thanks for the help.

47. Jane

I love this recipe! I dip and splatter them in chocolate, and they are just incredible. I feel like *I MUST ALWAYS HAVE THEM IN THE HOUSE* devoted to them. Thanks so much for a great site.

48. Jane

Damn, I just made them again!! Ok, I am going to recommend using coconut cream that you get in the Jamaican section of Walmart – Ocho Rios or what ever it’s called. It’s the same thing but much easier and cheaper (than Artisana). Also, as someone that grew up in the Caribbean, coconuts are all organic – in the islands anyway. Nobody puts anything on them as they grow like weeds there anyway.

49. Jane

Actually, no, I do not recommend the coconut cream. It seems as good (better really) when mixing up, but the end result falls apart much easier. I like the solidness of the homemade CC results. Sorry to be taking up so much of your comments!

50. Pingback: gloriously great gluten-free alternatives | Wellness or Whatever

51. Pingback: Easy Breezy Coconut Macaroons (gluten-free, low sugar) « Simply Living Well

52. Melissa

These are so amazing and delicious, we’ve made them so many times!
    I just wanted to suggest, for people wanting to consume Les sugar, you can replace 1/4 cup of the syrup with virgin coconut oil and a bit more vanilla extract (these are exactly like the cocoroons which sell for $8 for a bag of 8)

53. Rosie

My daughter raved about these and as she has never recommended a wrong recipe to me yet, I made them. But even though the mixture looked like yours in the photos they did not hold together in the baking! I do have a fan oven and I wonder if that is the problem? (The taste is fantastic however!)

54. Pingback: Peanut Butter Chocolate Ice Cream w/ Coconut Rounds | rialiveswell

55. Kristen

These came out a little too wet/loose for me. I used 3/4 cup coconut butter maybe that’s why? I dehydrated at 145 for an hour and then 115 for another 9-10 hours. Will try to use about 1/2 the maple next time πŸ™‚

56. Irene

I love these cookies! I’ve made them a few times now and they are a nightly sweet treat for us after dinner. I think the real key is making sure the first 2- 2/3cups of coconut are really close to a paste.
    I have tried the peanut butter banana ice cream and the avocado mint with chocolate ice cream and they are big hits in the house as well.

Thank you for the awesome recipes!

57. Robin

So rich and buttery it’s hard to believe they are healthier for you!! I ate some right out the oven but I can’t wait to freeze them and make them my frozen treat as well! Thanks for sharing! My computer is not acting right but this gets five stars from me! Quick & easy to prepare and absolutely divine!

58. Ronna

These are amazing! My 8 and 10 year old and their friend loved them too! I am bringing them for Passover tomorrow night πŸ™‚
    Thank you for sharing this!

59. Niv

I know it’s been a while since this recipe was posted but I just found your blog and started following it. I have always loved coconut macaroons and since I started eating clean, I wasn’t able to enjoy them because of all that sweetened condensed milk. Well, I saw this recipe and made the macaroons earlier today and let me just say that they are AMAZING!!!! I really cannot tell that these are a healthier version of that refined sugar and dairy laden treat from before. These are just fantastic! Thank you so much!!

60. Pingback: ‘Not-So-Dumb’ Blonde Macaroons – Only 4 Ingredients

61. Beth

Megan,
    These are wonderful. I have made them 3 times now and they just get better. I was wondering if you had the nutritional value for a serving of these amazing treats? I’m sorry if I missed the info if it is already listed. Thanks in advance and I feel really lucky to have found such a wonderful recipe to support my sweet habit.

62. Tiffany

I’ve made these before using Cinnamon and coconut oil as a binder, and EATING THEM RAW instead of baking. They’re delicious like that too!

63. Kathy

These were sooooo yummy! The best macaroons I have tried so far. Thank you for sharing. I also love your cashew icing recipe! I am loving your site. Thank you.

64. Pingback: http://detoxinista.com/ | Following My Gut

65. Pingback: Attack Of The Munchies!

66. hair loss in women

Hmm it appears like your site ate my first comment (it was extremely long) so I guess I’ll just sum it up what I wrote and say, I’m thoroughly enjoying
    your blog. I too am an aspiring blog writer
    but I’m still new to everything. Do you have any helpful hints for first-time blog writers? I’d definitely appreciate it.

67. Veronica

Hi Megan, I’ve tried making these twice and in both occasions I did not achieve butter consistency despite processing the coconut in the Vitamix for about 4 min. I don’t have the dry foods attachment, but it should still work, right? Any suggestions?

In any case what I ended up doing was delicious! the first time I added some cashew butter to the fine coconut powder, mixed in the maple syrup and the result was crumbly cookies similar to what you call Mexican wedding cookies. The second time (today) I added almond “nearly butter”, honey and carob
    powder, less crumbly and also yummy! Thanks for the inspiration

68. Lisa

Can’t wait to try these! I have been buying cocoroons and they are like $9 a bag! I keep thinking to myself, “I bet I could make these myself,” thanks for sharing.

PS: Dont listen to the haters, she obviouly has some issues of her own :). Love your recipes.

69. Pingback: Detox Blonde Macaroons Β« Detoxinista | One Fit Widow

70. Mary

I made these last night & loved them (so did my mom & husband)! I did have a couple cookies that “ran”, but I noticed a little syrup pooled at the bottom of the batter so I think that was the cause. I will definitely need to invest in either silpat or parchment paper because I just buttered the cookie sheet & most of the cookies ended up sticking. I might try your tips of adding a smidge more shredded coconut next time & maybe knock the temp down to 275 & bake for longer to avoid spreading. Thanks for this wonderful recipe! I love that it is grain-free & vegan, too!

71. Miranda

I had never made macaroons until I made these tonight and OMG…delicious! I’m so glad I stumbled across the recipe on your website. They’re perfectly crunchy on the outside with a delightful buttery softness in the middle. Pure joy. πŸ™‚

Thank you!

72. Erika

Hello im not sure if someone already ask this question ,but i havent read anyones post,but i have a question can i use the shreded coconut just the way it comes,i ask this is because i work in a restaurant and thats the way they do it,but i will love to follow your recepe because they put other stuff on it like eggs and i love yours because is so clean but i love felling the big pieces of coconut πŸ™‚

You are using half of the shredded coconut just the way it comes, but no, this recipe will NOT work if you don’t blend the other half into a butter. You would need to use eggs, like traditional recipes call for, to bind it otherwise.

73. Karlene

Coconut Fans Unite!!!
    – I just made these for the first time tonight… and they’re FABULOUS!!

Thanks, Detoxinista!! πŸ™‚

74. Val

Thank you so very much for sharing this recipe!
    I followed the recipe exactly.
    They were absolutely to die for!
    Excellent, excellent!! Everyone agreed!
    Thank you, very much!!

75. Jenna

Either my Vitamix is a piece of crap or I’m using the wrong coconut or…? Followed the directions exactly and all I got out of it was superfine chopped coconut, NOT coconut butter or any kind of creamy substance. Any help?

76. J

Just had to tell you that I LOVE your page….seriously, your recipes are stellar and make eating healthy actually FUN!

77. Pingback: Guest Post on The Detoxinista: Raw Cauliflower Tabouli | I Spy the Beautiful

78. Silja

How about using honey instead of maple syrup? Guess I will try this out! I love honey and it is easily available here, in Estonia. The same does not go for maple syrup though! Anyway, guess it’s best to use the local produce as much as possible.

79. Jeremy

I only have flaked coconut at home. Will that work if I first process in in the food processor to have more of a shredded consistency?

80. MelanΓ© Fahner-Botha

Hi Megan, today I made these for the 2nd time but tried to make a half batch (to give my weight a break;-) ). Turned out it’s too small a batch for the blender or the processor so when I got bored with the butter that wasn’t buttering too well I added a tablespoon of coconut oil (unmelted) worked it through VERY well and the result is divine. Tonight we are having dinner with friends and instead of dessert I’m serving each with coffee, an egg cup of your brownie fudge and 3 macaroons. Doesn’t that sound delicious? When I’ve plated it I’ll take a pic and send it to you.
    Love ‘n thanks for your inspiration

81. Mary Ann

Holy Mother of all things Beautiful! Megan these macaroons are Incredible. Mine actually came out looking more like cookies, but I certainly could care less about that. These taste fabulous! Thank you so much for this recipe.

82. Berenice

They are definitely detox πŸ™‚ I’ve been cleansing all day since its all I have eat since I made them..lol (TMI) they’re so good! The maple syrup sugar and fat in your body seams to go away naturally :0 Thank you Megan for this great and simple recipe.

83. bev

I just have to tell you how much we love these cookies!!
    I have made them countless times and they always turn out amazing (as long as I am patient enough to let the coconut get nice and creamy in the food processor!) Everyone who tries these little gems always want the recipe. I have always loved macaroons and have tried so many other recipes that have never turned out….these were the first that taste way better than any bought macaroon I have tried. Thanks SO much!!!

84. MelanΓ© Fahner-Botha

Hi Megan, a quick question here: the use of apple sauce as a filler-outer for baking has me stumped as here in Holland we can only buy sweetened stuff with all kinds of additives. On the net recipes vary and I wondered: have you made your own, did you use a sweetening agent, could I do without sweetener (not liking too much dependence on a sweet taste) and did you PEEL the APPLES? Being born lazy this is important:-)
    Thanks
    MelanΓ©

1. Kara

HI! I have made applesauce in a crockpot with old mushy apples and with skins on, no water, I believe, as the apples had enough, cook on high til tender then put in blender, you can hardly tell the skins were on. no sweetener needed!

85. Kara

I made these last night with canned coconut cream from trader joes instead of making my own. They just didn’t set. Batter tasted delicious, but after letting them cool for half hour and putting them in frig, still feel apart. Freezer ones were ok, but don’t think I can bring these to the party. That’s fine, more for me. Any thoughts?

Coconut cream is just the fat from coconut milk, so it’s not the same as coconut butter– that would definitely affect the texture! Be sure to use coconut butter, which is thick, more like the texture of almond butter.

86. Pingback: KIOSB D30: Coconut Macaroons Recipe | Heather Luxion, Career Coach

87. Stephanie Atwood

I loved these! I found it was easier to create the coconut butter if I just added the maple syrup in with the coconut! It turned out great and the coconut was smoother for me! Thanks for the great recipes!

88. Kaelene

YAY! I made these. I ran into EVERY issue under the sun. I think it was my ingredients. I used the bob red mill coconut. Its not as naturally oily as the one from trader joes. I blended and blended and blended. 15 minutes in and no change, I decided to add about tablespoons coconut oil. THEN we had magic. If this wasn’t insult enough. When I got to the syrup part, I WAS OUT. My fiance used the last bit and put it BACK in teh cabinet. I ended up using honey.

Mine still tasted good. So next time. When I follow the recipe. I am sure it will be great! πŸ™‚

89. Sue

First of all, let me say that I adore your website. It has helped me so much in trying to stick to my diet, which I am on due to autoimmune disease. You are a very talented chef!

I tried to make coconut butter. Many websites advise using a similar method described here, but it did not work for me. My blender, which is not a Vitamix but still a good quality Cuisinart, got overheated and couldn’t get the job done, even after several minutes. The food processor started smoking in no time! I wonder how other people are doing this?

I finally gave up and used peanut butter and they turned out OK tasting but too crumbly.

Sue

90. Sue L

Loved them both before and after baking. Much healthier version that will replace my macaroon recipe that use sweetened condensed milk.

91. Marissa

I tried making these, bought the coconut from the bulk section of smiths-its shredded unsweetened coconut. I put it in the blendtec for less than a minute and it went to more of a soupy texture instead of the thick creamy. That was my first worry but figured I would still try them out. I put everything together and the dough tasted great. When I baked them in the oven they went completely flat and melted all together! Just wondering if you know what I did wrong or if I just need to buy that certain kind of coconut! Thanks!

92. Pingback: Vanilla Macaroons | Jennifer Geiss

93. Linda

Thanks for sharing this recipe. I just made these and they are truly heavenly! Excellent treat that is good for you. What more can I say other than WOW!

94. Lauren

Thank you for these healthy delicacies! I have a pretty basic problem…I tried melting chocolate to drizzle on top (per dads request-he’s been waiting out since last night to eat them), but I didn’t seem to do it right. I put a cup of chocolate chips in the microwave and stirred them, but it just got too thick then burned when I put it in a little longer. Any suggestions??

95. adrianna

I’m in the midst of a cleanse right now and I can actually have these EXCEPT no processed sugar is part of the regimen as well. Any thoughts on using Dates with this recipe for the sweetness? or anything else?
    Thanks so much!

96. Maydo

Delicious!!! made them over a week ago …I added some drizzled dark chocolate over half the batch! I love them and my husband too! what a treat!

97. Jennifer

Megan – you are a genius! I finally made these last night, and they were absolutely perfect. I used the oven method with parchment paper, and didn’t have any issues. I also used the Ninja Professional blender to make the coconut butter, and it did work after about 6 minutes of pulse-blending. This was such a fun recipe, and by far the best macaroons I have ever tasted. Thank you so much for this.

98. Pingback: Strides Against The Grain

99. Natasha

I made these this weekend and they were a HUGE hit at my house! I added some fresh raspberries and they were soo good! Even better then the store bought ones! Thanks for the recipe!

100. Jacinta

Hi,
    I made these last week, but ran into a slight technical issue in that they seemed to melt together into a cake. I still cut them up and they were delicious but not as nice as yours astheticaly. Any tips to avoid this happening next time?
    The only things I did different from your recipe was used rice syrup instead of maple and didn’t have almond oil.
    Thanks,
    Jacinta

101. Nena

I was looking all over for a recipe for macaroons that had a coconut butter base as most just use coconut oil,shredded coconut and maple syrup(salt and flavoring). I can’t wait to try these. The ones on the market are so moist inside and I think your recipe will produce a outcome more like what I am looking for. THANKS SO MUCH!!

102. Julie

This turned out SO good, instead of using maple syrup I used honey (since my brother cannot eat syrup). The moment I made it the smell was just telling me to eat one on the spot, but I waited for them to firm up and it was worth the wait. It was SOOOOOO good <333 thank you for sharing such a GREAT recipe <3

103. Billi

I just made these, it’s been a month since I changed our eating habits
    And the one thing I have missed is something sweet. Well not anymore!!
    I am going to put most of them in the freezer, otherwise I might not trust
    Myself to eat just one! They are so good it’s hard to imagine that they are
    Not bad for you!! I am looking forward to sharing them with my family.
    I will be making them again, Thank you!

104. Pingback: Going Gluten Free | Corinne O'Flynn

105. Mindy

Hi there,

My entire family is getting together on Christmas Eve and everyone is bringing their favorite cookies. There will be at least 6 or 7 different cookies if not more. However, they will all be gluten FILLED, which leaves me out.

So, am thinking I will make these for me.

Wondering if you have ever tried to dip them in melted chocolate and then let harden?? And, if so, how did it work?

Thanks so much!

106. Mindy

For whatever reason, these did not remain in the shape of balls, but flattened with a remaining lil’ bump in the middle when I made them. But, may I say that it did NOT matter. They were absolutely delicious! Addictively (a word? – ha) so! Yum, Yum, YUM!

A keeper for certain!

1. Mindy

Forgot to say that I am sad to say goodbye to these for a good while as I am going completely off of all sugars, including honey, maple syrup, agave…all of it. Even fruit!(except lemons, limes and berries).

So, goodbye lovely macaroons!

πŸ™

107. Pingback: 52 Surprising Things to Make in a Vitamix - Perfect Your Lifestyle

108. Pingback: Healthier Coconut Macaroons | The NY Melrose Family

109. Pingback: Blonde Macaroons | Kristin Baker's Recipes

110. becca

Is coconut cream the same as coconut butter?
    Thanks for a yummy recipe….a friend made them and I am eager to try the recipe.

I don’t think so. I think coconut cream is the cream from coconut milk, while coconut butter is just pulverized coconut meat. It’s very thick and slightly grainy!

This recipe turns out best with a dehydrator, and I didn’t want to call for any special equipment (like a dehydrator) in the cookbook. I wanted to keep all of the cookbook recipes REALLY easy and approachable!

111. Tera

These were SO good! I made them in my super crappy circular plastic dehydrator with no temperature control. They took about 18 hours before the outsides were good and crunchy, and the insides were still moist and soft. We ate them all in 3 days, and now I’m brainstorming other flavors – maybe a little lemon zest!

112. Pingback: Healthier Coconut Macaroons - The Taylor House

113. Gia

Choirs of angels are singing in my mouth and belly right now! Grabbed a hot cup of decaf coffee and snacking on one right out of the oven- OMG!

114. Finger licking good

Thank you for this delicious receipe! I purchased a raw desert cookbook that featured these bad boys, made them and I can’t stop eating them!

115. Julia

Is it better to blend the coconut or just use the coconut butter? is there a difference? Thank you. these look delicious!

They should be pretty much identical, so the main difference is that store-bough coconut butter is much more expensive.

116. Maria

I am so addicted to these blondies it’s not even funny!!! Sooooo good. Thank you so much for sharing. I keep promising friends I’ll make them some but they never seem to leave my house lol! Oh and I substituted honey for the maple syrup still amazing.

117. Valerie Rosenbaum

I have been making these for a few years now! So delist. I love that they are so healthy! I never feel guilty eating them for breakfast. Also I have been adding the dark chocolate drizzle since day one. They look so festive!! Thank you for you wonderful recipes.