The Secret To Perfect Cauliflower Pizza Crust

Since this post was originally published in 2012, there have been a LOT of Cauliflower Pizza Crust recipes popping up online. This one is still my favorite, but I’ve made it even easier in my new cookbook, Everyday Detox.

Check out my updated recipe, which I call the Easiest Cauliflower Pizza Crust Ever. It’s a HUGE time-saver compared to the recipe below!

best-cauliflower-pizza

Since traditional pizza is mis-combined, thank goodness for whoever came up with the idea of making a cauliflower-based pizza crust. Now we can have our crust AND cheese, and eat it, too. (All without feeling sluggish and greasy afterward.)

You may remember that I’ve tried my hand at a cauliflower crust before. It was fine, but definitely more egg-y than traditional pizza crust, and it certainly couldn’t be picked up by hand!

Luckily for us, chef Doris has taught me the secret to making perfect cauliflower pizza crust.

The kind you can pick up with your hands.

The kind that will fool your family.

The kind you’ll want to eat again and again!

Cauliflower Pizza Crust
Serves 2 to 4 people

Recipe courtesy of Doris Choi

2 pounds cauliflower florets, riced
1 egg, beaten
1/3 cup soft goat cheese (chevre)
1 teaspoon dried oregano
pinch of salt

Preheat your oven to 400F, then get to work on your crust.

Step 1: Begin by making your cauliflower “rice.”

Simply pulse batches of raw cauliflower florets in a food processor, until a rice-like texture is achieved.

Step 2: Cook & Strain the rice.

Fill a large pot with about an inch of water, and bring it to a boil. Add the “rice” and cover; let it cook for about 4-5 minutes. Drain into a fine-mesh strainer.

Now here comes the secret:

Once you’ve strained the rice, transfer it to a clean, thin dishtowel.

Wrap up the steamed rice in the dishtowel, twist it up, then SQUEEEEEEEZE all the excess moisture out! (Be careful not to burn your hands!)

It’s amazing how much liquid will be released, which will leave you with a nice and dry pizza crust.

Step 3: Make & Shape the dough.

Don’t be afraid to use your hands! You want it very well mixed.

It won’t be like any pizza dough you’ve ever worked with, but don’t worry– it’ll hold together!

Press the dough out onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. (It’s important that it’s lined with parchment paper, which is not to be confused with WAX paper– they’re very different!)

Keep the dough about 1/3″ thick, and make the edges a little higher for a “crust” effect, if you like.

Step 4: Bake!

Bake for 35-40 minutes at 400F.

The crust should be firm, and golden brown when finished.

Step 5: Load on the Toppings!

Now’s the time to add all your favorites– sauce, cheese, and any other toppings you like.

This goat mozzarella is ridiculously good, without a “goat-y” flavor.

Time-Saving Tip: I recommend making a double-batch of cauliflower pizza crusts–> make one for now, and save one for later. After baking the crusts and adding the toppings, wrap up the whole pizza in foil, and FREEZE it for a quick “frozen pizza” to enjoy another night! Simply thaw and bake at 400F, as directed below, until the cheese is hot and bubbly.

Then slice and serve immediately!

Enjoy!

*Tip: If you need to avoid eggs or dairy, try making my Vegan Cauliflower Pizza Crust instead!

The Secret To Perfect Cauliflower Pizza Crust
Serves: 2-4

A grain-free alternative to traditional pizza crust, that you can pick up with your hands!
  • 2 pounds cauliflower florets, riced
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • ⅓ cup soft goat cheese (chevre)
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • pinch of salt
  1. Preheat your oven to 400F.
  2. To make the cauliflower rice, pulse batches of raw cauliflower florets in a food processor, until a rice-like texture is achieved.
  3. Fill a large pot with about an inch of water, and bring it to a boil. Add the "rice" and cover; let it cook for about 4-5 minutes. Drain into a fine-mesh strainer.
  4. THIS IS THE SECRET: Once you've strained the rice, transfer it to a clean, thin dishtowel. Wrap up the steamed rice in the dishtowel, twist it up, then SQUEEZE all the excess moisture out! It's amazing how much extra liquid will be released, which will leave you with a nice and dry pizza crust.
  5. In a large bowl, mix up your strained rice, beaten egg, goat cheese, and spices. (Don't be afraid to use your hands! You want it very well mixed.) It won't be like any pizza dough you've ever worked with, but don't worry-- it'll hold together!
  6. Press the dough out onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. (It's important that it's lined with parchment paper, or it will stick.) Keep the dough about ⅓" thick, and make the edges a little higher for a "crust" effect, if you like.
  7. Bake for 35-40 minutes at 400F. The crust should be firm, and golden brown when finished.
  8. Now's the time to add all your favorites-- sauce, cheese, and any other toppings you like. Return the pizza to the 400F oven, and bake an additional 5-10 minutes, just until the cheese is hot and bubbly.
  9. Slice and serve immediately!
Notes
Time-Saving Tip: I recommend making a double-batch of cauliflower pizza crusts--> make one for now, and save one for later. After baking the crusts, wrap up the extra pizza crust in foil, and FREEZE it for a quick "frozen pizza" to enjoy another night! All you need to do is add toppings and bake at 400F, until the cheese is hot and bubbly.

Hope you try this the next time a pizza-craving strikes!

1,178 thoughts on “The Secret To Perfect Cauliflower Pizza Crust

1. Sharelle

I tried this recipe everyone and it worked great. I although did not use goat cheese and ussd skim mozzarella instead and didnt have parchment paper on hand so used reynolds stick free wrap and it turned out ok but I did though have to use a knife to lift some of the pizza off of the wrap so please do as he said and use the parchmnet paper…Thanks for posting tbis recipe sir i will be using it for now on

2. Jennifer

Is there any way to use Reynolds and avoid sticking? I have all ingredients, but forgot to buy parchment paper 🙁
    Thanks for all the great recipes…I made teriyaki last night and it was a hit!

3. Kim

Are we supposed to be anti-microwave or something? Wouldn’t it be easier to, after processing the cauliflower, put in a microwave container with cover, steam in microwave for two minutes? Then you wouldn’t have all the water to squeeze out, or risk a soggy result.

You’re welcome to do that, if you like. We did choose to get rid of our microwave, so it’s not an option in our home.

1. Ja

Congratulations to you! Microwaving is extremely toxic. Just visiting your site for the first time. Am going to try the cauliflower crust. Will comment afterwards.
        Thanks,
        Jana

1. Jana

Made the crust tonight. Used herbed goat cheese. Then topped it with Neiman Ranch bacon that was softly sautéed, fresh garlic that I carmelized in the bacon fat. Sliced green olives and hickory-smoked Coastal white cheddar. Served with a green salad. It was really good! We are gf peeps so this was a nice break from gf crust which is just “ok”.

Jana

I love this crust using herbed goat cheese! Glad you enjoyed it. 😉

2. Ken

Did did you try the microwave method? And if so, how long did you microwave the cauliflower? Did you still have to squeeze it out?

3. Paula

Even if you don’t use water and microwave it, cauliflower will still have water to drain out but not as much. I usually microwave mine.

4. Allampone

Microwaving destroys all vitamins in your broccoli and cauliflower. So in view of that, I’d prefer to either steam or shallow boil.

5. AmHv

Agreed! I just made this – YUM! I am feeding 6 people so used two large heads of cauliflower and chose to microwave it to save time and effort. No anti-microwave here! Had to do so for about 6 minutes though, and found there was still a surprising amount of water. It was easy to work with this way and less hassle than trying to drain it and lose it in the strainer and the sink and towel. Used cream cheese instead of chevre, and pesto on one pizza, sauce on the other. I will definitely be adding this to our regular fare. Thanks!

4. Danny

I used 1/3 cup of Grass Fed Mozzarella and forgot the Romano. This recipe works well if you follow it. I will cook a bit longer though to see if i can make it crispier.

Thanks for the recipe!

Danny Riverside CA

1. Dean's Girl

I make it as recommended but then have second pan ready with parchment paper and “flip” the crust and bake another 10-15 minutes. It is very crispy and not burnt at all. I also use that method and then slice the crust in to bread sized pieces and with a little olive spray in a fry pan I lightly fry on both sides and then use to make paninis. Very good!

5. Lisa

This was so great and easy! My family preferred it over the wheat crust pizza I ordered for them. I have tried so many cauliflower crusts in the past and they all turn out mushy. Thank you for bringing pizza back into my life. I am so happy!!

6. Rebecca Delorie

Worked out better than expected! I really squeezed out as much water as possible but I still felt it was too wet after adding the other ingredients. So I mixed through a tablespoon of psyllium husks and that worked a treat. I’ll definitely be making this again as it tasted so good. Ever better – no bloating!

7. Jake B

Why didn’t I find this recipe sooner!?! O. M. G. I’m currently on a low carb diet and this was perfect for my pizza fix. I didn’t have goat cheese and used 1/3 cup of low fat cream cheese instead. Also, we realized we ran out of parchment paper and used tin foil sprayed with cooking spay (didn’t stick like other reviews. Came right off). You couldn’t even tell it was cauliflower and it seriously had the same texture as cooked pizza dough. Crust came out dry and crisp. A little moist in the very center so next time I’ll flip and cook for another few minutes; however, still amazing.

8. Amanda

I made this with half a head of cauliflower and the rest of the ingredients with the additions of 2 tablespoons of coconut flour and added mushrooms, carmelised onions, olives and Brie and it was delicious! I was surprised it held well’ enough to eat and it felt like such a treat. I can’t wait to eat the rest tomorrow. Yum!

9. Kim

I finally got the nerve to try the cauliflower crust. I posted a comment back in April about using cauliflower already riced from Wegmans to ask if 2 lbs of cauliflower florets would equal 2 lbs of already riced cauliflower at Wegmans and yes Brian I love Wegmans. I wasn’t sure of how much to use if it was already riced so I asked the people at Wegmans who prepare it. The girl said if it calls for 2lbs cauliflower florets riced then use a 2lb pkg of already riced cauliflower. You still have to boil and strain it but you eliminate the step of making the rice which saved a lot of time. I squeezed it through a cheesecloth as other suggested. The crust came out great. I baked it for 40 minutes, flipped it, baked it 15 minutes more then flipped it again and baked another 5 minutes. I put it on a wire rack to cool to let air get under it and crisp it more. Topped it with my spicy hot marinara sauce and fat free mozzarella. Everyone loved it. Going to put it on a pampered chef heated stone or directly on rack at 425 when I put it back in with the toppings on to see if I can get it even crispier. will definitely make this crust again.

10. Gray Burchette

I used some Bragg Nutritional Yeast Seasoning in the mixture also….This was my second time making it and it was great both times. The nutritional yeast just adds that one more element that makes it taste even more like pizza dough.. Thank you for the recipe

11. Laurie Goldberg

I used FROZEN cauliflower; boiled and diced quickly! One egg would be better; it’s soggy w/2-eggs! It was sensational and I am so grateful to find such a recipe for my PIZZA fix! Thanks so much for sharing this recipe!

12. Laura

I am allergic to Milk protein so only hard cheeses, daisy pure and natural Sour Cream, real butter and 100% cream. what would be your suggestions to substitute for the goat cheese?

1. Alessana

Kite Hill makes a great almond based variety of “cheeses ” all dairy free . There’s also Go Veggie brand of grated “mozz” style cheeses too. Whole Foods has big selection.

13. Sue Lagrange

Thank you for sharing this recipe. We have been gluten free for five years and this was the closest we have gotten to the look and taste of traditional wheat pizza. The kids just loved it.
    I doubled the recipe and then I added a half a cup of quinoa flour. I also turned the pizza over and cooked it an additional 10 minutes. This made it really crispy.

14. Jessica

I have a ton of mashed cauliflower left over from another recipe. It’s very wet. I really want to make this crust, and want to use what I have. Can I add tapioca starch to it? My family eats Paleo. Thank you! ☺️

15. Patty

I made this amazing crust last week. The instructions are excellent. Used non-fat yogurt instead of goat cheese. Would never have believed it would come out like a delicious flatbread. Am off cheese for a bit so used it as a carrier for roasted veggies.

16. Shelley Tougas

I used cream cheese because it’s what I had on hand. Turned out great. I recommend high-flavor toppings like olives because it helps hide cauliflower taste.

17. megan

Im making this for the second time tonight. Love it. Next time, I will try grinding chia seeds to put in the dough.

18. Doris

My granddaughter and I made this Pizza last night and we could not get the crust to crisp up. I think we didn’t get all of the water out…Mitchell was so hot to twist….how do people do it. We tried it with oven mitts but they just got wet and the heat just went right through then. It had a good flavor but would be better with a crisp crust.
    Ps….wow did it make the house smell haha

1. Carmen

Right after getting it out of the stove and into the rinser we put it under the sink, under cold watter, for a bit. It stops the boiling of the vegetable (so it doesn’t end too soft either) and makes it perfectly manageable afterwards, maybe give that a try?
      Hope it helps

19. Kathy

I’m thinking you could use a regular round pizza pan using the parchment / sprayed tin foil? How well does the baking stone work? Still need to flip crust?

20. Marsha

Sadly I need to report that this was definitely not my cup of tea and could barely get it down the hatch. It is an acquired taste – and to me it smelled bad and tasted equally unappealing.

1. Hannah

It might just be the goat cheese, I’m personally not a fan of goat cheese at all if it’s in anything I will not eat it, it’s a very string taste. I’ve been reading the the comments you can use other types of cheese, she also offers a vegan take on this recipe at the top of the page (:

21. Michele

I was sceptical but decided to give it a try as my hubby and I are low carb right now. Followed the recipe exactly, except I added a half cup Parmesan to the mix. I baked it as directed and WOW!!!! It surpassed my expectations by a mile. It was amazing; crispy, tasty and even able to pick it up like a regular piece of pizza. My teenagers tried it and liked it too. I would make this again even if we weren’t low carb. It is truly guilt free pizza but tastes like it shouldn’t be. Yummy

22. Pingback: The Crown Jewel.. – journey into functional living

23. Pingback: Veggie Lover's Pizza - The Center for Mind Body Medicine

24. Natalie M

My four year old son and I (mostly I) made this tonight and yowza it was delish! We used white sauce, and topped it with tomatoes and olives. Yummy. Thanks for the recipe.

25. Cheech.RN

I’m having an issue with my crust sticking to the parchament paper, does anyone have a trick to avoid this? I absolutely love cauliflower crust but I have yet to perfect the recipe.

26. Carmen

We did this recipe tonight since I’ve been trying to eat a bit more healthy this past few months and I have to say, it is FANTASTIC! I have never really loved cauliflower so I was a little hesitant but all my doubts have gone out the window! I did it together with my boyfriend and we each decided on different toppings for each half and both turned out great. Many thanks for such a great recipe, we will for sure do it again and recommend it!

27. Justine

Just made this crust and pizza….im so impressed and so was my husband! So much we ate the entire pizza! I’m so excited to find a recipe online that actually works like it says it will! Thank you Megan for sharing! This wI’ll be a staple in our house from now on!

28. Dave

Big fail that you didn’t share the “faster and less labor-intensive method” and chose to use it as a greasy attempt to market your cookbook I think you’ll find that tactic will lose you more potential customers than you will have gained in book sales, I’m out

29. Jennifer Kimball

I thought the crust was delicious and it got raves reviews from the non-vegetarian non-gluten-free eaters. I think I could have squeezed out a little more moisture when wringing the cauliflower in the tea towel. It has great flavor and good texture. This is a recipe I will use time and time again.

30. Stacey

We have made this a few times and I think it works better cooking longer like the other poster said. Cook 40, flip it cook 15, flip again cook a bit longer. I might try to brush it with a small amount of oil this time. My husband loves it and asks me to make it all the time. It just takes sooooooo long.

31. JT'S Mom

Made this tonight for my 13 yr old son. I was sure he would he would not like it, but to my surprise he loved it! I did use some extra spices like garlic and a little salt and pepper. He said he never want’s Pizza Hut again, just Mom’s homemade Pepperoni Pizza.

32. Wendy

I don’t have a food processor but I do have one of those bullet-type smoothie makers. Will that do instead for ricing the cauliflower?

33. Dan Campbell

Just found your recipe and made it up tonight. Thank you! I’ve been gluten free for 9 years and this was hands down the best pizza crust I’ve had in that time. The instructions were clear and easy to follow and I could not be happier with the product.

34. Shanna Detweiler

This was surprisingly delish! Did exactly as told, but made a little too much so it had to bake a little longer. Turned out fantastic anyway! Added some peppers, olives and mushrooms… so good! Thanks so much!

35. Emily

This was a LOT of work, and I’m not totally convinced it was worth it. I decided to go ahead and follow the advice to make one now and a second to freeze for another day. It took forever to boil, cool, strain, mix and bake enough for two crusts. I took the advice to flip and cook for ten minutes longer, and even so, the crust was still a bit soggy. I JUST finished baking the second crust (started nearly three hours ago). I was able to strain the cauliflower for the second crust better, so the crust was noticeably thinner and I was hopeful that maybe it would taste better than the first one. Unfortunately it seems I managed to burn it so I don’t even know if I’ll keep it. By the way I couldn’t find any chevre at my grocery store so I just used some shredded mozz as I’d seen in other recipes. Apparently the goat cheese is much saltier (didn’t know that) so the first crust was not only soggy but bland. I don’t think I’ll try this recipe again.