Balsamic Roasted Brussels Sprouts

This recipe is perfect for the vegetable skeptics in your life.

Brussels sprouts can be a bit intimidating on their own, but when roasted with a splash of balsamic vinegar, they become a delectable treat!

Traditional roasting methods usually call for a coating of olive oil before cooking, but I opted for coconut oil in this particular dish.ย The higher the saturated fat content in a cooking oil, the less likely it is to be damaged or oxidized, making coconut oil a more stable fat source for cooking at high temperatures. In fact, I’ve noticed that when I cook with coconut oil, my vegetables rarely burn!

Tender on the inside, and crispy on the outside, these Brussels sprouts are a quick and easy addition to any meal.

Balsamic Roasted Brussels Sprouts (Vegan, Paleo)
serves 4

Lightly adapted from this recipe

1 pound Brussels sprouts, washed and trimmed
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
salt and pepper, to taste

Preheat your oven to 375F. If your coconut oil is solid at room temperature, place the two tablespoons of coconut oil in a small bowl, and set it on top of the oven to warm while you prepare the Brussels sprouts. If the top of your oven isn’t warm enough, you can place the bowl inside the oven for 2 minutes to melt.

The sprouts are ready when they are lightly golden.

Remove from the oven and serve immediately!

4.75 from 12 votes
Prep Time
10 mins
Cook Time
25 mins
Total Time
35 mins

Servings: 4
Author: Detoxinista.com
  • 1 pound Brussels sprouts , washed and trimmed
  • 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons coconut oil , melted
  • salt and pepper , to taste
  1. Preheat your oven to 375F. If your coconut oil is solid at room temperature, place the two tablespoons of coconut oil in a small bowl, and set it on top of the oven to warm while you prepare the Brussels sprouts. If the top of your oven isn't warm enough, you can place the bowl inside the oven for 2 minutes to melt.
  2. Slice the Brussels sprouts in half, and place them in a large bowl. Pour the balsamic vinegar over the halves, and toss well to coat. Add the melted coconut oil, and toss again to coat. Arrange the Brussels into a single layer on a baking sheet, cut-side facing down, and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
  3. Roast the Brussels sprouts for 25 minutes, turning the pan after 10 minutes for even browning. The sprouts are ready when they are lightly golden.
  4. Remove from the oven and serve immediately!

*Note: This method can be used with any other sturdy vegetable, such as broccoli or asparagus. Feel free to experiment and discover new vegetables that you enjoy!

Reader Feedback: Are you a fan of Brussels sprouts? Will they be making an appearance at your Thanksgiving feast? These will definitely be at mine!

Hi, Iโ€™m Megan. A former fast food junkie turned certified nutritionist consultant, trying to make healthy living as easy as possible. I believe in eating delicious whole foods on a regular basis to help naturally support the bodyโ€™s detox organsโ€” no juice fasting required. (Unless you want to!) If you make one of my healthy recipes, tag @detoxinista on Instagram or Facebook so I can see!

48 thoughts on “Balsamic Roasted Brussels Sprouts

1. The Delicate Place (@misathemeb)

oh i am obsessed with b sprouts! we buy them nearly every week during autumn/winter! soooo tasty and i love the crispy bits from roasting them. coconut oil is a must for the perfect roasted sprout. no sprouts on our thanksgiving table bc my mother is making the side dishes but don’t worry…i get my fill ๐Ÿ™‚

2. Ealla

Looks delicious, similar to a recipe Ina garten has that was inspired by a dish she had at tyler florences restaurant Wayfare Tavern in San Francisco. Her dish has brussel sprouts halved, syrupy balsamic, pancetta, and olive oil, and it’s so delicious. You should try that variation to, I bet you’d like it. I never liked brussel sprouts but I love the combination of brussel sprouts and balsamic. I love cooking with coconut oil and I can’t wait to try this version too.

3. Amanda Jewell

Yumm! I usually make maple roasted brussel sprouts with toasted hazelnuts. I roast them 3/4 of the way thru then drizzle 3T maple syrup then continue roasting… Sinfully decadent. I might try adding a little balsamic vinegar too now!

1. Jules

I am in the same boat in Paris. I haven’t been able to find any Coconut oil in Paris, so would love an alternate solution.

Thanks!

1. Alexandra

Hi European friends–I am Greek, so I am obsessed, of course, with olive oil..I roast whole baby brussel sprouts all the time with it. (I find them frozen) I just made them, and I can eat the whole thing! In a shallow pan, mix in (with your hands is best) one tablespoon Extra virgin olive oil, sprinkle some sea salt and roast like the above recipe. I like to roast them at a little higher temperature and for a little longer until they have a bit of crispy outside, but that is my personal preference. You can adjust to your preference. The above recipe is a great guideline. I hope this helps! ๐Ÿ™‚

2. audrey

Hello Jules, I m living in Paris too. You can find coconut oil in organic’s shop like la vie claire, bio coop, naturalia… or in indian shops near gare du nord. It is not in bottle like the other oil, it is in a pot as this oil is solid.

4. menssanoincorporesano

I love checking out your recipes, we’ve been synchronizing in our veggie choices….or is it just the season? One interesting thing I learn came across awhile back is if you are cooking on a aluminum pan make sure to put parchment down. Supposedly aluminum can attribute to dementia? Thought I’d mention it cause I never know what mine are made of so I opt for parchment always. Love your website!! So fun and fresh.

1. Mark

Aluminum from pots/pans does not cause dementia. If you give large amounts of aluminum salts to rats they can get dementia symptoms. If you ground up your pots, mixed them with acid and ate them then it might be an issue for you. If you are worried about dementia watch your blood pressure, exercise, eat a balanced diet with reasonable portions, manage your stress and sleep a sufficient amount each night. Eating more fish may be protective. Also don’t smoke and drink alcohol only in moderation if at all.

1. Alexandra

LOL–I understand. They are so yummy, it is easy to over eat them. I have the same problem–it is hard for me to resist eating too many!

5. Wellness Woman

I was looking up your version of roasted brussels spouts that have been sprouting up on upscale restaurant menus, and found this one. Wanted to say that there is no “supposedly” in the sentence aluminum contributes to dementia. Sadly this is absolutely true. Aluminum cookware is one of the researched and confirmed links to dementia. Another link is poor quality oils and excessive consumption of dairy. Lots of sources for this, including Hanna Kroeger’s work. Thanks for the beautiful searchable blog! Enjoying it.

1. Science of Foods

Hanna Kroeger, unfortunately, has not produced any peer reviewed papers explaining her position on aluminum cookware. Her work, at best, is supposition and hearsay. Not someone you should take as an authority on anything.

6. alfietta

I will definitely try these, they look delicious!! I have bought a bunch of asparagus today and I’m wondering how to prepare it: maybe this is one delicious way for asparagus too ๐Ÿ˜‰

7. James

I’ve never been a fan of brussels sprouts, but these are AMAZING! The coconut oil between the layers is pure magic. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

8. Pingback: Vegemania: Part Deux (Brussel Sprouts) | fat vegan baby

9. Stacy D

Thank you — I have always *hated* brussel sprouts, but I really needed to expand my vegie selection. These were REALLY good.

10. Pingback: 10 Underrated Veggies You Should Absolutely Be Eating | PhillyMag

11. Marie

My version of a brussel sprout dish:

1 lb. cleaned, trimmed and halved brussel sprouts
    2 roughly chopped garlic
    salt and pepper to taste
    2 tbsp. good olive oil
    1-juiced lemom
    Mix ingredients in a large bowl except the lemon juice. Marinade for 15 minutes. While marinating, heat oven in 375 degrees. Place marinated brussel sprouts in a baking dish, tossing every 5 minutes so that all sides brown more evenly. Sprouts should be done in 15 to 20 minutes. Place the dish in a serving bowl and while warm, mix in the lemon juice. Serve immediately. Enjoy
    Every once in a while, I add in pearl onions to the mixture. This gives the dish a whole new taste and texture. Try it, it’s delicious.!!

12. Pingback: 44 HEALTHY, VEGAN THANKSGIVING RECIPES SO GOOD YOU WON’T MISS THE TURKEY | HealthFit Magazine

13. Pingback: Mary Eggers » The good path

14. Pingback: Healthy and Paleo Thanksgiving Recipes That Are Super Delicious! | Oh Snap! Let's Eat!

15. Living Outside of the Box

LOVED these (I’m partial to brussels sprouts and balsamic vinegar)!! I actually did it with mini orange peppers, and then put them both over a green salad with your honey balsamic vinegar. Delicious–thanks again for another wonderful recipe!!

16. Pingback: Fabulous Finishing Fridays | Craving4More

17. Pingback: Whole30 Day 24 | Fleeting Focus

18. Amy

just a quick ?…all I have is frozen sprouts but really want to try these, do I just follow the cooking steps on pkg and add these ingredients or do you have any cooking tips for the frozen variety?

19. Pingback: Veggie Bites recipe | Hippy Potomus

20. Pingback: I love dinner: Menu for the Week | This. That. Mom.

21. Pingback: Are We What We Eat? Meals for the Week #4 | This. That. Mom.

22. Pingback: Always, Sometimes, Never: Menu for the Week #5 | This. That. Mom.

23. Pingback: All About Brussels Sprouts » K6 Wellness Center -- Dallas, TX 214-352-7546

24. Pingback: Chanhassen Fitness Revolution | Thanksgiving Recipe Round-up

25. Pingback: Simple Thanksgiving Cranberry Sauce

26. Pingback: Simple Holiday Cranberry Sauce

27. Pingback: Roasted Brussels Sprouts | Kiele's Recipe Box

28. Pingback: Roasted Brussels Sprouts | Kiele's Recipe Box

29. Kristen

Made this recipe a week ago and it was amazing, even preheated! I made a small bowl and sprinkled with a little goat cheese and toasted pecans…wow!!! Thanks for such an easy delicious way to make Brussels.

30. Debbie

My husband and I fight to make sure we get equal amounts! These absolutely ROCK! Our new favourite way of cooking them.