Easy Coconut Whipped Cream

Fresh berries with whipped cream is one of my very favorite treats.

SONY DSC

Since traditional whipped cream is typically loaded with heavy cream and refined sugar, coconut whipped cream is the perfect alternative.

This dairy-free whipped topping has become quite popular among the health community lately, but I’ve been hesitant to try it due to my lack of kitchen equipment… I’ve never owned an electric mixer! However, I recently watched a friend of mine “whip up” a batch of fresh butter by simply shaking heavy cream in a large glass mason jar, and it got me thinking. Perhaps you could make a coconut whipped cream using the same method?

Naturally, I had to try it.

The result is a thick and luscious cream, naturally sweetened and loaded with healthy fats, without the need for any special equipment. As an added bonus, shaking a mason jar is a terrific arm workout!

Easy Coconut Whipped Cream
Makes about 1 cup

1 can of full-fat coconut milk (cream only)
1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

To get started, you’ll want to chill your can of coconut milk in the fridge for at least 6 hours, preferably overnight. (I use this brand because it’s the only brand I know of that uses BPA-free cans.)

When you remove the chilled can, be careful not to shake it–> you want the cream that floats to the top to stay separated from the liquid portion at the bottom. I also recommend chilling the glass mason jar you’re going to use for at least 10 minutes in the freezer, so that your equipment is well-chilled.

milk chilled

SONY DSC

Serve immediately over your favorite dessert or beverage!

Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container for at least a week (if not longer) in the fridge. The cream will thicken even further when chilled!

Easy Coconut Whipped Cream
Serves: about 1 cup

An easy, dairy-free alternative to traditional whipped cream!
  • 1 can of full-fat coconut milk (cream only)
  • 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
  • ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
  1. To get started, you'll want to chill your can of coconut milk in the fridge for at least 6 hours, preferably overnight. (I use this brand because it's the only brand I know of that uses BPA-free cans.) When you remove the chilled can, be careful not to shake it--> you want the cream that floats to the top to stay separated from the liquid portion at the bottom. I also recommend chilling the mason jar you're going to use for at least 10 minutes in the freezer, so that your equipment is well-chilled.
  2. Carefully open the can of coconut milk and scoop the thickened cream into the chilled mason jar. The amount of cream may vary in each can, but I was able to scoop just slightly less than one cup of cream from this particular can. Reserve the remaining liquid in the can for a morning smoothie!
  3. Add the pure maple syrup and vanilla extract to the heavy coconut cream, then screw the lid onto the mason jar. Shake vigorously for 3-5 minutes, until the cream is thickened and fluffier in texture.
  4. Serve immediately over your favorite fruit or dessert!
Notes

Substitution Notes:

If you do own an electric mixer, you may want to try one of the following techniques, too:

Hope you enjoy it!

Reader Feedback: Have you tried coconut whipped cream before? Any equipment missing from your kitchen?

Hi, I’m Megan. A former fast food junkie turned certified nutritionist consultant, trying to make healthy living as easy as possible. I believe in eating delicious whole foods on a regular basis to help naturally support the body’s detox organsβ€” no juice fasting required. (Unless you want to!) If you make one of my healthy recipes, tag @detoxinista on Instagram or Facebook so I can see!

68 thoughts on “Easy Coconut Whipped Cream

1. Sakshi

This recipe is amazing, finally I have a healthy cream recipe I can use to make fruit pies πŸ˜€ . Thanks!

I found the coconut milk at Whole Foods, but I usually have to shop at three different stores (Whole Foods, Trader Joe’s and Costco) to find the items I need at the best prices.

2. Vicki

I’ve tried it once before & wasn’t thrilled with the results, both taste & texture. But the “recipe” didn’t include the syrup, which would definitely sweeten it up. I’ll give it a try once more & see how goes it πŸ™‚

3. Rachelle

I get better results (stays thicker, longer) if I don’t use a liquid sweetener (maple syrup). I really like using 100% coconut or maple sugar! A bit of shaved vanilla bean is heavenly in there as well!

4. [email protected]:DESIGN:CENTS

You can just throw it in the blender too! It works with regular whipping cream

5. Penny

Too cool that shaking it also works!
    I used it as frosting on the cupcakes for my son’s third birthday. It. definitely also works in the blender. Add cocoa powder for chocolate frosting!
    I have yet to own a food processor or electric mixer. Once my Ninja gives out, Im skipping all that and getting whatever the equivalent to a Vitamix will be in 5 years πŸ˜‰

6. Penny

Also, locally, there is a BPA free organic brand called Natural Value.
    If anyone has figured out how to get their home made milk as thick as full fat canned, I would love to hear!

I use the term “detox” as a means of gradually improving both your diet and lifestyle choices. For someone coming from a typical Standard American Diet, filled with processed foods and trans fats, a homemade whipped cream using organic canned coconut milk is still a step in the right direction over the highly-processed versions. Progress, not perfection!

7. Silky

Thank you for reminding me of whipped coconut cream. We usually don’t use coconut milk, because my husband does most of the cooking and can’t stand anything with coconut in it.

But my mom has health issues that don’t allow her to eat dairy products. And I promised my son to make dairy free icecream or popsicles next time my parents visit, because he really wants to share.

So being insprired by this post I’m going to put the cream and strawberries into a blender and try to freeze it. Do you think that could work?

8. Hali

This looks absolutely fabulous!! I have a can of that exact coconut milk in my pantry. Can’t wait to make this. Thanks for posting such incredible recipes that always allow people like me with multiple food allergies to still indulge!

1. Ashli

I’ve tried this in the past (blending it in the Vitamix) and it just liquifies it… too much heat. However, it will thicken up again after being refrigerated for several hours. I find this is the case no matter how I do it. Refrigerating the finished product thickens it up (as Megan mentions), so for best dessert-topping results, make ahead of time!

9. angela

I tried chaokoh I don’t have any jnfo about the can, but it worked great & tastes fantastic. slightly higher fat content than the native forest.

10. Pingback: Vegan GF “Oreos” (Diabetic friendly too) | h.morningstar

11. LaraVT

Megan, What size Mason jar did you use? I had trouble getting the cream to move around in the 12 oz. jar so I added a few marbles and about 2 table spoons of almond milk. Quite a workout for the arms!! My wrists are actually sore the next day. I think I will use electric beaters next time.

I think my mason jars are about 20 oz. It’s definitely an arm workout! If you have electric beaters, I’d definitely prefer using those for a quicker result!

12. Pingback: Lime Sandwich Cookies – Vegan | h.morningstar

13. Melissa

Does it taste super coconut-y? I love the non-dairy alternative but am not wild about coconut in general.

1. Helene

A bit of a late reply but I just tried this recipe, and tasting “too coconut-y” was also what I was worried about. I was pleasantly surprised! Def there but I thought pretty delicate. I used Trader Joe’s canned coconut cream.

14. Pastykate

Does this turn out thick enough to use as a cake frosting? And will it run if the cake is sitting out at the party? The ingredients are perfection.

It’s pretty similar to whipped cream, so if that’s the texture you want to use for cake frosting, you could do that– but it will get runny at room temperature, so you’d need to keep it stored in the fridge until ready to serve.

15. Pingback: Paleo Recipes | A Gut and a Butt

16. Jamie

Hey, I’ve been on about 10 blogs trying to find a bran of coconut cream that I can get in the UK that can work with these type of recipes? Can anybody recommend one who is UK based? Or is there somewhere I can get a tin online? Thank you!

17. Pingback: Lime Sandwich Cookies – Vegan |

18. Pingback: Vegan GF “Oreos” (Diabetic friendly too) |

19. Karen

Just another hint that I picked up. put coconut milk in the fridge to chill.. but when you open it, open it upside down. it makes it a whole lot easier to take out.

20. ann

hi, my little one has 4 birthday parties in 4 days and I try to send her with a cupcake made w/o all the sugar etc. I was wondering if i can send the vanilla cupcake (your recipe) with this frosting and how long it can be “out” or if this frosting might not work if it is not served immediately.

21. Emily

Trader Joe’s coconut milk comes in BPA-free cans but unfortunately they only ever have the light coconut milk. But almost all their cans are BPA-free, just so ya know! Can’t wait to try out this recipe!

1. Angela

They now carry a coconut cream in a bpa-free can! It’s cheap ($1.49 here) and the can is filled almost full with cream instead of only partially full like the coconut milk cans.

22. Makayla

How filling is this whipped cream? Is it light and airy like store bought which isn’t filling at all or heavier because of the higher fat content from the coconut milk?

23. Pingback: Clean Food Substitutions for your Thanksgiving Meals! | A Sincere Soul's Life Experiences

24. Pingback: Whipped Coconut Cream

25. Pingback: Trifles of Love | h.morningstar

26. Allison

I LOVE whip cream and non dairy whip but can’t really have it because all the preservatives and sugars give me a headache!! :(! This recipe is so delicious and doesn’t give me a sugar headache! Thank you for the awesome recipe!! Also you can buy this brand of coconut milk at Raleys! :)!

27. Pingback: 24 Deliciously Healthy Ways To Satisfy Your Sweet Tooth | Sharing Interesting Stuff, Updates News & Free Tips

28. Pingback: 24 Deliciously Healthy Ways To Satisfy Your Sweet Tooth!

29. Elise

This is a good idea and I can’t wait to try again. At first it seemed like I couldn’t possibly shake up the hardened coconut cream. Over time it began to whip, and then all of a sudden it was coconut butter! I did not think that was possible. A little disappointing but I will enjoy it on my toast with cinnamon for a few days :)So – overwhipping IS possible! I also might try with a hand mixer next time so I will have a better Idea of the consistency (I had to keep checking it in the jar). But this is great if you do not have a hand mixer.

30. Pingback: Healthy Condiments and Sauces - Cooking To Be Fit

31. Pingback: Strawberry Shortcake Protein Pancakes - Cooking To Be Fit

32. Pingback: Strawberry Shortcake Protein Pancakes - Cooking To Be Fit

33. Pingback: Healthy Condiments and Sauces - Cooking To Be Fit

34. Jade

Help, I bought the same can of coconut milk as u, and put in fridge overnight. Just cracked it open and I have no cream it looks like creamy milk all through it. I did not shake it. Can I do anything to fix this?

35. Pingback: 24 Deliciously Healthy Ways To Satisfy Your Sweet Tooth - Boo's FunZone.com

36. Pingback: What Am I? Wednesday | Just Enjoy Food

37. Melynda

This stuff is amazing! I made strawberry shortcake pancakes the other day and used your recipe for the whipped cream. I couldn’t even tell the difference. To be honest, I may even prefer this stuff over store bought. Thank you for sharing! Great recipe.

38. Maria

Just made this whipped cream for the first time and it’s delicious! I didn’t have a mason jar so I used my kitchen aid mixer.
    My 2 year old loved it too!

39. Pingback: 24 Deliciously Healthy Ways To Satisfy Your Sweet Tooth | Viral KittyCat

40. Pingback: 24 Deliciously Healthy Ways To Satisfy Your Sweet Tooth | Darnmeme

41. Carey

How much did you make of this for the cupcakes? And can you make this ahead of time and then pull it out when you need to frost?

42. Pingback: 24 Deliciously Healthy Ways To Satisfy Your Sweet Tooth | What's Trending Now

43. Erica

I have made coconut whipped cream using “coconut cream” (in a can) from Trader Joe’s. I believe it was available around the holidays, and I grabbed it by accident. We used it for topping on a couple of dishes over my birthday weekend. My husband says there is now NO reason to use the “real” stuff (I’m dairy free, so we punted when we had some left over).
    I whipped it with the whisk on my big kitchenaid stand mixer. (I think we used powdered sugar, so it wasn’t healthy, per se, but it was a birthday party…so there!) It came out perfectly. Lasted a day, but that was due to finishing it all!

44. PoohBear11778

Hey Megan,
    Love your site and all the great recipes. Do you know how much cocoa should be added to make a chocolate type whip cream? I thought you had a recipe for it but I can’t find it!
    Thank you!

45. Rachel

You recommended coconut whipped cream for a baby’s first birthday cupcake, but vanilla extract contains alcohol, and since you’re not cooking the extract there will still be alcohol.

46. Natasha

Does this make a mess for the smash cake? We had a coconut oil based icing for my daughter but it didn’t have a good mess effect. I am interested in trying this for my son but wonder if it will be messier (which would be a good thing!)