Easy Dark Chocolate Avocado Truffles

With Valentine’s Day coming up, I’ve got chocolate on the brain.

SONY DSC

Instead of relying on a box of store-bought confections this year, I highly recommend making these dark chocolate truffles. Calling for just a handful of ingredients, they are quick and easy to prepare, and will impress the socks off your loved ones!

While most recipes rely on heavy cream or butter, these truffles get their creaminess from a ripe avocado. If you don’t care for the flavor of avocado, don’t worry– all you’ll taste is the chocolate! Depending on your sweet tooth and dietary needs, this recipe is completely adaptable to your tastes. I used 67% dark chocolate chips, which creates a very dark, bittersweet truffle, but if you’d prefer something a little sweeter, you can always add a touch of natural sweetener, or use semi-sweet chocolate chips, instead. You can even make them sugar-free by using unsweetened baking chocolate, and adding stevia to taste.

However you make them, they’re sure to disappear as quickly as they come together!

Dark Chocolate Avocado Truffles
makes 12

Adapted from Apple of My Eye

6 oz. dark chocolate (I used 67% chocolate chips)
1/3 cup mashed avocado (about 1 small avocado)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
pinch of salt
2 tablespoons cocoa powder, for rolling (optional)

melted chocolate

SONY DSC

trufflesServe at room temperature, but store in the fridge for a lasting shelf life.

Dark Chocolate Avocado Truffles
Serves: 12

A quick and easy truffle, calling for heart-healthy avocado instead of dairy!
  • 6 oz. dark chocolate
  • ⅓ cup mashed avocado (about 1 small avocado)
  • ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
  • pinch of salt
  • 2 tablespoons cocoa powder, for rolling (optional)
  1. Combine the chocolate, vanilla extract and pinch of salt over a double boiler, and melt until completely smooth. (I just use an oven safe bowl over my small saucepan for this.) Mash the avocado with a fork until no lumps are visible, then stir it into the melted chocolate mixture until smooth and thickened. Place in the fridge to set for 20 minutes, or until slightly firm to the touch.
  2. Once the mixture has been chilled and is slightly firm, use a tablespoon to scoop the chocolate into 12 balls. Place them on a pan lined with parchment paper, and roll the balls between the palms of your hand to create an smooth surface. (Be warned: this can get messy!)
  3. Place the 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder in small bowl, and roll each truffle into the cocoa to coat. Serve at room temperature, but store in the fridge for a lasting shelf life.

Notes:

• These truffles can be dairy-free and/or sugar-free depending on the type of chocolate you buy. Be sure to read labels carefully!
  • Feel free to roll these truffles in ground nuts or shredded coconut, if you prefer.

Reader Feedback: What’s your favorite Valentine treat? I’m a big fan of anything chocolate– especially this Flourless Chocolate Cake!

135 thoughts on “Easy Dark Chocolate Avocado Truffles

1. Sarah

This sounds delicioouuuuss.. However, I was wondering why you didn’t use the vitamix or any oder blender to make a uniform avocado and chocolate mixture . I am close to buying a blender myself, though I am still a bit hesitant because of the high costs of the vitamix. Does the small food processor you have (black & decker) also do the job for most of your recipes or does it really not blend, but just chop? (also may it be used to make nut butters, almond flour and stuff…) thank you very much for all these amazing recipes, I am following you from Switzerland 🙂

There’s just no need for a blender with this recipe. The avocado mashes so quick and easily with a fork that it would be unnecessary to have to clean the blender.

In regards to the small food processor I use, it doesn’t blend the way a larger food processor does, so you couldn’t make nut butters in it. I use it to “mix” things, like hummus or avocado pudding, but it’s not as smooth as the more powerful machines.

2. Gail

I have a food processor (Kitchenaid) and Vitamix. Invest in the Vitamix, it will do so many things the food processor just can’t do.

1. Rachel

Yes for every ounce of chocolate use 3 Tablespoons of cocoa, 3 Tablespoons of Sugar, and 1 tablespoon coconut oil.

1. Karina

The difference is that cacao is healthier, cleaner and a more concentrated nutrition., a ‘superfood’. Anything you use cocoa in, you can adapt using cacao. These are the best truffles I’ve ever tasted. A friend made them adding a little almond meal for the texture to help set. SO YUM

2. Lynette @ Victory Homemaking

Megan, you are a genius! I stumbled across you site a few months ago and I am always amazed by your creativity and just how really good your recipes are. Thank you for all that you do… all while having a baby on your hip! Dying to try this one!

3. Betsy

Megan do you have to use a food processor for the dishes you recommend? Or could I use my Vitamix for most of these recipes? I have a vitamix but not a food processor.

I use the Vitamix much more often than a food processor. In fact, my food processor was in storage for years! So, you definitely don’t need one. I find it useful for making almond butter, pureeing soups and doing some light chopping work, but you can do that in a Vitamix, too.

4. babs

YUM! This is prety much how I make my ‘icing’ for my chocolate protein bars and other snacks, except I also put in half a banana. You could try that as well if you wanted to lighten it up a bit.

1. carrie

Depends on how sweet you want it. I’d say 70% would be good for many but for myself, I’d use 85% because I’m accustomed to the extra dark chocolate flavor.

I used 67% and all of my friends loved them at our Super Bowl party. If you were making them for kids, or anyone with a pickier palate, I’d use a slightly sweeter chocolate.

1. Andria

Thanks for answering me on the percentage of the cocoa. I cannot wait to make these. I stumbled upon your website and I am so happy I did. It is awesome!!! Thank you. 🙂

5. Pingback: Tips to Limit Sugar For Valentine’s Day | DesignedForDetox

6. Bethany

I have made these twice already! They are so good! The longer you let them sit in the fridge, the better the texture (in my opinion). I also used toasted crushed almond as the covering as I didn’t have any cocoa powder. I love your recipes! Please keep them coming!

7. Judi

i can’t get these to set at all – its very wet – idk if i should add more cocoa powder to dry it or what..
    i even had them in the freezer for an hour and still they were a pudding consistency. what did i do wrong? how can i fix this?

Did you use chocolate chips or a chocolate bar, and how did you melt it? I’m not sure why it wouldn’t set! You could try adding coconut oil to the mixture, which would help it harden.

1. Judi

i used chocolate chips but i stirred it with the same fork i used to mash the avocados and i think it made a difference in how it melted

8. Reynin

I just made these and they are great. I did make a little adjustment to them though. 🙂 I put coconut oil in with the chocolate, salt & vanilla mixture. They taste really good!

9. shelley dunn

Hi from Israel!

I am new to your website, and I am in love! Your recipes are fantastic. Can’t wait to to the chocolate truffles!!!

10. Allison @ Clean Wellness

What a great idea. I love raw chocolate avocado pudding so I’m sure I would love these too. Avocados and chocolate are made for each other! I don’t love large-sized chocolate desserts, so these little bites would be perfect after a meal. I also appreciate the step-by-step instructions -so helpful!

11. Anna

Made these last night, definitely make sure the mixture is nice and firm or else you won’t be able to roll the balls. 1 word really- DECADENT. My boyfriend was seriously impressed. I rolled some in cocoa powder and some in coconut flakes, nobody would ever believe there’s avocado in there. Megan. once again. you are a genius.

12. Pingback: 12 Humbelievable Valentine’s Day Recipes | Hummusapien

13. Pingback: These are a few of my favorite (Healthy Sweet Treats) Things... | Kansas City Wellness - @daniellasilver

14. Lulu

My mom made these for me and my roommates and friends and it was a huge hit!! But the taste of the avocado was fairly obvious. Is it supposed to be like that or did we make a mistake?

15. Donna Short

These are delicious. I made them last night for a little treat. We are snowed in and today is Valentine’s Day. I was happy to have a little treat that I could eat and not feel guilty! Thanks for sharing treats that I can make and feel good when making and eating!

16. Emmalee

Oh my gosh! These were ABSOLUTELY divine. I used rough measurements: half a bag of 12 oz. dark chocolate chips and then 1/3 C of mashed avocado and that was it. I let it sit in the fridge longer than I had intended because my run lasted a while but they were still fairly easy to shape and everybody at my office has loved them. I could tell there was another ingredient in them but if someone had pressed me to name it without knowing the recipe I would have never guessed that it was avocado.

Really fantastic, Megan, thank you. Have a Happy Valentine’s Day!

17. Karen

Wow! Just made these. Sinfully good!
    Mine seemed a bit soft after the fridge ( but i subbed in a little 100% unsweetened, adollup of peanut butter and cocoanut oil so…) but a double roll in the cocoa powder and 5 minutes in the freezer firmed them up. Might depend on size and ripeness of the avocado?
    Consider a little five spice powder mixed with the cocoa if you happen to like that flavor and smell…

18. Lindsay

I quadrupled this recepie as I was making valentines for 6 people (I figured I would still have too many)! In total it made 40 truffles! This was on Thursday (very late so they’d be ready for Friday morning) it is now Sunday morning and every single truffle is GONE! No on could stop eating them! I only even got one lol! But rave rave reviews from everyone they just loved them and I loved giving my family and close friends a delicious yet healthy valentines treat! Thanks Megan as always you have outdone yourself! Can’t wait for more delicious posts!

19. Trish

Made these last night to share with my neighbor and family. Nom! I NEVER would have thought to add the avocado…the mouthfeel was devine.

I had two with a glass of red wine, and had a difficult time going to sleep. Too much caffeine in the cacao??? Totally worth it though. =)

20. irena roy

you recepies are divine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!keep the good work going I come from Prague and my mother was superb baker this is much healtier way to eat sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

21. Pingback: Cacao Surprise Truffles | Paleo in PDX

22. Pingback: The Rampage : Valentine’s Day Sweets

23. Pingback: Fudgy Dark Chocolate Avocado Cookies – Apple of My Eye

24. Pingback: Dark Chocolate Avocado Truffles - peace. love. quinoa

25. Bronwyn

these. are. amazing. i made them with 85% dark chocolate (i like my chocolate super dark) and they are so rich and divine. 🙂

26. Annabelle

Truly delicious. I put a pecan in the middle of each one as a filling, and instead of cocoa powder to coat them, I threw dried cranberries and shredded coconut into a blender and used that as the coating. Wow are they ever good. It was a great Valentines, and I got way more browny points than had I bought a box of chocs.

27. Pingback: 29 Super-Easy Avocado Recipes | Bringing the best news to the People

28. Pingback: Jeobox – 29 Super-Easy Avocado Recipes

29. Pingback: 29 Super-Easy Avocado Recipes | sbloggityfood

30. Pingback: 29 Amazing Avocado Recipes! | Fibre Magazine

31. Michelle H.

OMG! I just finished making these and they taste incredible!! I had dark chocolate melting chocolate on hand, so I used that (Chocoley bada-bing melting chocolate if anyone’s looking for a pre-tempered high quality nut-free chocolate that you can microwave). Just a tip though for anyone tried these: go VERY light on the cocoa powder! I completely coated mine to make them look pretty and even, but I almost choked on the powder when I tried my first one. In the future, I think just dusting them wouldve been better lol.

32. asia

Made them last week. awesome.
    Next time I will try adding a little more avocado and less cocoa, just enough for dusting.

33. Sal

I wanted to make more than 12 so I doubled the measurements. I took it out of the fridge after the 20 minutes and it didn’t seem to firm so I put it in longer. Should I double the time to 40?

34. Nathan

I made three bathes: One flavoured with a couple tbsps of coffee and a couple bit of homemade cashew butter, one with cashew butter then rolled in cashews, and one regular.

You can make cashew butter, as I’ve figured out, by pounding cashews with a mallet or chopping them into tiny pieces then with a tiny bit of coconut oil mash the cashew pieces up with a mortar and pestle. I actually just sifted out and used the tiny crumbs left over from chopping the cashew used for rolling.

Okay, so they’re not actually finished yet… Still chillin’ in the fridge! 😉

35. Nathan

(Well, my first attempt to comment was full of typos! I’m just so darned excited!)

I made three batches: One flavoured with a couple tbsps of coffee and a bit of homemade cashew butter, one with cashew butter then rolled in cashews, and one regular.

You can make cashew butter, as I’ve figured out, by pounding cashews with a mallet or chopping them into tiny pieces then with a tiny bit of coconut oil, mash the cashew pieces up with a mortar and pestle until smooth. I actually just sifted out and used the tiny crumbs left over from chopping the cashews used for rolling.

Okay, so they’re not actually finished yet… Still chillin’ in the fridge! 😉

36. Nathan

TIP: Place a cold pack in a ziplock bag to cool your hands with between rolling each truffle. It’s much less messy this way!

37. Debi

made these last night and today because for the life of me I can’t get the lumps out! Even when it looked like all lumps out of avocado they were still visible after I mixed with chocolate! I even tried my food processor AND mashing second time around. Any suggestions? Regardless of the visible lumps they are DELICIOUS and so decadent! I used 72% dark chocolate!

38. Pingback: 29 Next-Level Ways To Use Avocado | Sharing Interesting Stuff, Updates News & Free Tips

39. Pingback: Jeobox – 29 Next-Level Ways To Use Avocado

40. Pingback: 29 Next-Level Ways To Use Avocado | sooziQ

41. Pingback: Chocolavocado: White Chocolate Avocado Raspberry Truffles | The Adventure

42. Pingback: Dark Chocolate Avocado Truffles | Not Hippy, Just Healthy

43. Pingback: 7 Health Benefits of Avocados | Walk by the Way

44. Pingback: 26 Delicious Ways To Use Avocado You Should Try

45. Pingback: 29のスーパー簡単なアボカドのレシピ | こんなに美味しいレシピがあるとは・・・料理大好きの人が参考にするブログ!

46. Pingback: 27 maneras distintas de usar un aguacate – Vainas Raras

47. Pingback: 23 Sneakily Healthy (And Scrumptious) Ways To Eat Avocado For Dessert | buzzcarl

48. Pingback: 23 Healthy Ways To Eat Avocado For Dessert | Funny Bundle

49. Pingback: 23 girnilegustu uppskriftirnar að Avocado eftirrétt | dagurinn

50. Pingback: Avocado Truffles | Phoenix Rize

51. Pingback: Chocolate Avocado Truffles | Pantry Diva

52. Pingback: 25 Cutting Edge Uses For Avocado You Should Try

53. Pingback: Vegan peanut butter cups | Happy | Healthy | Over 40

1. Arietta

Hi Kerri. Calories are about 80 calories a truffle if you make 12 pieces. I use Myfitnesspal.com to compute my nutrition info on my recipes (go to FOOD tab, then RECIPES). I used Ghiradelli Intense Dark 72% Twilight Delight for my chocolate. You can use Ghiradelli Semi Sweet chips if you don’t want dark chocolate, but they are not as healthy for you as using at least 70% dark chocolate. Enjoy!

54. Pingback: 27 Next-Level Ways To Use Avocado | RealFoodies

55. Pingback: Paleo Dark Chocolate Truffles | Soldarith Paleo

56. Pingback: What to do with all these Avocados!?! » SpencerIsland

57. Pingback: Chocolate Truffles Easy To Make - Food Recipe

58. Pingback: Chocolate Truffles With Chipotle Salt - Food Recipe

59. snail

I just made these, and at first I didn’t think they were going to set properly. The mix seemed oily and wet. I didn’t follow the recipe exactly, because I used a 4 oz bar of fair trade vegan baking chocolate instead of 6 oz of chips, and I sweetened it with coconut sugar. I didn’t measure my avocado. I figured I got the proportions off, but the chocolate I used was expensive and I dreaded the thought that it might go to waste. I rolled them into slimy little balls despite my concerns about the texture, left them in the fridge for a while, and when I remembered to check on them, I was very impressed. They had firmed up perfectly, and they were just as rich and smooth as the milk-based truffles I used to eat around this time of year before I became a vegan. My husband doesn’t usually like sweets, but he ate four of them in one sitting. I will definitely be making these again, perhaps for my family Christmas party.

60. Orla McLaughlin

These look delicious! Can you use raw cacao powder, coconut oil (melted) and maple syrup/agave instead of the store bought chocolate?

61. Pingback: 29 Super-Easy Avocado Recipes | Paginasdechile

62. Pingback: Nailed It! And a couple successful dessert recipes. | avocadoalice

63. Pingback: 27 Next-Level Ways To Use Avocado | The Health & Nutrition Silo

64. Pingback: Clean-Eating Chocolate Dessert Recipes | Hummusapien

65. Pingback: Happy Healthy Valentine's Day – 10 Yummy and Healthy Recipes - Whole Woman Health

66. Pingback: Set the Mood with Food this Valentine’s Day | Healthy Concepts with a Nutrition Bias

67. Pingback: Valentine’s Day Desserts | Think and Taste

68. Pingback: 27 Next-Level Ways To Use Avocado | Super Sexy SEO

69. Pingback: Mmmm chocolate | Dear Food Friend

70. Erica

I’m actually really intolerant to caffeine (chocolate included. LAMEST intolerance, I know), but I made these for my neighbor. At first, she was pretty skeptical when she found out there was avocado in them, but a few seconds into a bite and her eyes grew wide with utter delight. She absolutely loved them! So much so, I keep thinking about biting into one myself, but it’s just not worth the consequences 🙂

71. Pingback: Easy Dark Chocolate Avocado Truffles | ChefCarrie.com

72. Pingback: 6 awesome avocado recipes

73. Pingback: Coffee Haven | Leftovers For Lunch

74. Pingback: Ociore Blog » Blog Archive » Granita de albaricoque

75. Pingback: Tasty Tuesday – avocado recipe round-up | A Hungry Runner

76. Pingback: 29 Super-Easy Avocado Recipes (Sabrina) - Wow Amazing

77. Pingback: Advocating Avocados | Tower Green Hamlets

78. Lizzie

Just made these the other day and they were fantastic!
    I added a tablespoon of coconut oil for health and taste and I used my very favorite Lily’s dark chocolate chips because they use stevia and not sugar. Amazon has them and Vitacost has them for less than Amazon.

79. Pingback: 26 Estupendos Platos Que Puedes Preparar Con Aguacate/Palta - Catunga

80. Eileen

If I melt the chocolate in the microwave, would I have the vanilla and salt in with the chips, or add them once the chips have melted, right before I add the avocado, or does that matter?
    These look delicious, thanks, in advance, for your answer!