Now that we’ve mastered making baked falafel at home, let’s make it into a healthy meal. Enter, Falafel bowls! This is my favorite way to serve falafel, because it packed with flavor, texture, and nutrients.
This recipe is inspired by the Mediterreanean Platter at Swinger’s Diner, which is one of the first restaurants I remember visiting when I first moved to Los Angeles.
They inspired my Tahini Dill Dressing recipe, too! (Hence, why you’ll see it here below.)
What’s in a Falafel Bowl?
This is really a build-your-own-adventure type of bowl, but I find these components work well with falafel flavors.
- Quinoa Salad (or just plain, cooked quinoa)
- Tahini Dill Dressing
- Homemade Hummus (or store-bought)
- Greek Salad (or any leafy greens with Greek Salad Dressing)
- Roasted red peppers, chopped cucumbers, red onion, or olives
- Feta cheese (optional; omit for a vegan bowl)
- Pickled onions or sauerkraut would also be good, if you have them
Using a quinoa salad as the base eliminates the need for chopping extra veggies, and using a Greek salad instead of plain leafy greens takes the flavor to the next level. But, you can really use whatever you have on hand to make your life easy.
Why You’ll Love It
- It’s nutrient-dense. There are no empty calories in this falafel bowl. The hummus and veggies all add nutrients, and when you serve it with quinoa, you’ll be getting a complete source of plant-based protein, too. (Just like hemp hearts, quinoa has all the essential amino acids your body needs!)
- You can make it ahead. If you like to prep on the weekends, you can make the falafel, quinoa salad, hummus, and dressing ahead of time. It takes 5 minutes to assemble once you have the components ready, for a fast & healthy meal.
- It’s flexible. Don’t have something on hand? It’s easy to make swaps! Leave off the quinoa salad if it’s too much work and swap it for sliced pita bread or some crunchy crackers. Any veggies can be used in this bowl, so feel free to clean out your fridge!
- Gluten-free & vegan. When you don’t add cheese to this bowl, it’s a vegetarian platter that tastes like it came from a restaurant!
- It tastes amazing. This is the #1 reason why I love this bowl. The combination of creamy hummus, crunchy veggies, tender falafel, and a tahini dressing is unbelievable.
Are you ready to try it?
- Prepare the individual components, including the quinoa salad, hummus (or use store-bought), falafel, and tahini dressing. Use the links above if you need recipes, or use your own if you already have a favorite.
- To assemble, spread a 1/4 cup of hummus on the bottom of the plate, followed by a large scoop of quinoa salad (about 1/2 cup). Add 1 cup of fresh arugula, along with 2 to 3 falafel patties. (If using cold falafel, you can reheat in a pan over medium-high with 1 tablespoon of olive oil for 2 minutes on each side.) Drizzle with tahini dill dressing, and serve right away.
If you try these Falafel Bowls, please leave a comment below letting me know how you like them!
Reader Feedback: Do you like seeing these type of build-your-own-bowl style recipes? This is how I eat most often at home, throwing a few recipes together, but let me know what is the most helpful to see here on my website.