It’s that time of year again, when the popular “Shamrock Shake” is available for a limited time, to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day.
But, did you know there are 54 ingredients in this particular shake from McDonald’s? These ingredients include artificial dyes and preservatives, not to mention high fructose corn syrup and carrageenan– all of which aren’t exactly doing our body any favors.
Instead, try making this healthier minty green milkshake at home. It gets its green hue naturally, thanks to a handful of fresh spinach (which you can’t taste!) and a touch of avocado, which also makes it ultra-creamy. Paired with naturally sweet and fiber-rich dates, plus a splash of pure peppermint extract, this shake tastes as wonderful as it will make you feel.
Even better, you can prepare it faster than visiting a drive-thru window.
Healthy Shamrock Shake (Vegan, Paleo)
1 cup almond milk, or water
1/4 avocado, pitted
1 handful fresh baby spinach
1/4 teaspoon pure peppermint extract
5-6 soft Medjool dates, pitted
handful of ice
Combine all of the ingredients in a high-speed blender, and blend until smooth and creamy. Adjust sweetness to taste, if necessary, and serve immediately.
A healthy, minty green shake, perfect for celebrating St. Patrick's Day!
- 1 cup almond milk , or water
- 1/4 avocado , pitted
- 1 handful fresh baby spinach
- 1/4 teaspoon pure peppermint extract
- 5-6 soft Medjool dates , pitted handful of ice
- Combine all of the ingredients in a high-speed blender, and blend until smooth and creamy. Adjust sweetness to taste, if necessary, and serve immediately.
- If your blender doesn’t handle dates well, try using 1 to 2 tablespoons of pure maple syrup instead.
- If you can’t have avocado, leave it out and add a spoonful of nut butter for extra creaminess.
- Since the flavor of peppermint extracts vary, you may want to start off with just 1/8 teaspoon, and add more to taste. They can be very potent!
- You can make this shake sugar-free by omitting the dates and using stevia, to taste.
Reader Feedback: Are you a fan of minty milkshakes? Mint chocolate ice cream used to be my very favorite, so this shake is right up my alley. (Especially with a few dark chocolate chips blended in!)