Have you ever tried smoked salmon and eggs together? It’s one of my favorite protein-packed breakfasts! Smoked salmon is paired with scrambled eggs, red onion, and fresh dill for a satisfying, savory breakfast.
This recipe is inspired by the restaurant I used to work for in college, nearly 20 years ago. Salmon & Eggs was one of the most popular meals on our menu! When you sauté smoked salmon, the texture becomes more appealing (if you’re not a fan of raw-fish-texture) and it brings out even more of a salty, delicious flavor.
Even if you’re not a salmon fan, this dish truly surprises everyone who tastes it!
Why You’ll Love It
This is a filling, flavorful, low-carb breakfast that will leave you feeling satisfied for hours. Plus, it’s loaded with nutrients!
Here’s more to love:
- Salmon is a great source of omega-3 fatty acids, especially the long-chain ones like EPA and DHA. These may help to lower inflammation and may lower the risk of certain cancers.
- This dish is a great source of protein, which may help protect bone health and promote healthy aging.
- Salmon is a good source of potassium, which may help to lower blood pressure, possibly because it also helps reduce water retention in the body.
- It’s also a source of the trace mineral, selenium, which may help to promote bone health and and lower some of the risk factors for thyroid disease.
Look for wild-caught smoked salmon, when possible, as it will most likely contain fewer contaminants when compared to farm-raised salmon. However, it’s interesting to note that farm-raised salmon typically contains more omega-3 fatty acids.
Ingredients You’ll Need
What goes into salmon and eggs?
- Smoked salmon
- Red onion
- Fresh dill (don’t skip this!)
- Salt & pepper
It’s surprisingly simple, but so incredibly flavorful.
How to Make Salmon and Eggs
1. Saute the onion. Add olive oil to a nonstick skillet over medium heat, and sauté the red onion until it softens about 5 minutes. This adds a slight sweetness and a little crunch to the overall dish.
2. Add the eggs. Crack the eggs into a bowl, and season with a hefty pinch of salt and pepper.
Pour them into the pan with the onions, and stir often with a spatula to help scramble them. Lower the heat if they start to cook too quickly, as you want the eggs to still be slightly soft when you add the salmon.
3. Finish it up! Add in the smoked salmon and fresh dill, and continue stirring and scrambling the eggs. The salmon should turn more opaque in color as the eggs finish cooking.
This dish is best served warm right away. If you’d like to sprinkle some extra fresh dill on top, go for it!
How to Serve It
If you’re looking for a low-carb meal, try serving salmon and eggs with sliced avocado for an extra source of healthy fat and fiber. It’s also delicious with roasted potatoes on the side, or try it with a side salad and creamy tahini dill dressing.
Looking for another way to use smoked salmon? Try my Smoked Salmon Salad with Easy Dill Dressing.
If you want to try some extra add-ins, these would be delicious, too!
- Cheese. Try adding in crumbled soft goat cheese, feta, or cream cheese, for an extra creamy texture. The goat cheese and feta will add extra saltiness, too.
- Fresh herbs. If you’re not a fan of dill, freshly chopped chives would work well here, too.
- Swap the onions. If you don’t have red onion on hand, or would prefer a more mild flavor, you can use green onions instead. In that case, just add the green onions when you add in the salmon, since they don’t need much cooking.
- Use butter instead of oil. This recipe is dairy-free when you use olive oil to saute the onions and eggs, but you can definitely use butter if you prefer.
More Savory Breakfast Recipes
If you want more healthy breakfast ideas, try one of these!
- Sweet Potato Hash
- Tofu Scramble
- Savory Chickpea Pancakes
- Egg Muffins
- Avocado Toast
- Instant Pot Frittata
- Asparagus Frittata
- Avocado Deviled Eggs
Salmon and Eggs
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium red onion , diced (1/2 cup)
- 4 large eggs
- Salt & pepper
- 3 ounces smoked salmon , torn into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon freshly minced dill
- Heat the olive oil in a non-stick skillet over medium heat, and saute the onion until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl, and season with a hefty pinch of salt and pepper. Pour them into the pan, and stir often to start scrambling them with the red onion.
- When the eggs are starting to set, but are still soft, add in the smoked salmon pieces and fresh dill. Continue stirring, until the salmon becomes more opaque, and the eggs are finished cooking.
- Serve warm right away. Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
If you try this Salmon and Eggs recipe, please leave a comment below letting me know how you like it!
Reader Feedback: Do you enjoy seeing more low-carb or higher protein breakfast ideas? I’d love to hear if you have any recipe requests for the future!
Questions and Reviews
I have been a major fan of your recipes and cookbooks for some time! Recently I have started a more keto plan and it is working for me. I would love more low carb and keto dishes! Thank you for this one!
So filling. So delicious! Made the house smell like a restaurant. The perfect way to change up the boring day-t0-day eggs at breakfast. Thanks for sharing!