It’s the season for sweet frozen drinks, and this frozen chia latte is one of the best things I’ve ever tasted– healthy or not!
It’s bursting with the spices I love, including cinnamon and ginger, and it’s naturally sweetened with fiber-rich dates, so it won’t spike your blood sugar the way a drink from your favorite coffee chain might. Plus, it’s cheaper!
Rather than relying on almond milk for creaminess, this frozen beverage is loaded with chia seeds and hemp hearts which not only add a creamy texture but also boost the protein content. Hemp seeds contain all the essential amino acids we need, making them a complete source of protein, and when paired with chia seeds, this drink also packs a hefty punch of omega-3 fatty acids and fiber. The combination is so unbelievably creamy, my husband couldn’t believe that I didn’t use milk!
As you may know, I’ve been on a chocolate “milkshake” kick for the past few months, but I think this spicy shake might be my new favorite. That’s saying something!
Vegan Frozen Chai Latte
1 cup water
2 tablespoons chia seeds
1 tablespoon hemp hearts
2 to 3 Medjool dates, pitted
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
2 to 3 handfuls of ice cubes (8-12 cubes)
Combine everything, except for the ice, in a high-speed blender and blend until completely smooth. Taste the mixture and adjust the flavor to taste, if necessary. (Keep in mind that the ice will dilute the flavor slightly.) Add in the ice and blend again until a slushy-like texture is achieved. Serve immediately.
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon hemp hearts
- 2 to 3 Medjool dates , pitted
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 to 3 handfuls of ice cubes (8-12 cubes)
- Combine everything, except for the ice, in a high-speed blender and blend until completely smooth. Taste the mixture and adjust the flavor to taste, if necessary. (Keep in mind that the ice will dilute the flavor slightly.)
- Add in the ice and blend again until a slushy-like texture is achieved. Serve immediately.
Per Serving: Calories: 347, Fat: 14g, Carbohydrates: 48g, Fiber: 12g, Protein: 10g
Note: If you don’t have a high-speed blender like the Vitamix, soak the first four ingredients together for at least 20 minutes before blending this shake. The soaked chia seeds and dates will break down much easier this way!
Reader Feedback: What’s your favorite frozen drink?