Flourless Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Blondies

Last night, I made these.SONY DSC

Flourless Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Blondies!

Austin’s favorite combo EVER is peanut butter + chocolate, so I definitely had him in mind when making these. He’s my favorite recipe taste-tester, because he will not sugar-coat his opinion for me. If he hates it, I’ll know it.

Personally, I’d probably prefer an almond butter variation, rather than peanut butter… but, I was hoping to find a recipe that would please a crowd, and almond butter isn’t always appealing to everyone. (at least, not in my family!) These were such a success, though, I have a feeling an almond butter variation is in my future, too.

By the way, you’ll never believe these treats are flourless!! Or that they’re only sweetened with honey. I’ve been a huge fan of using honey lately, since reading Breaking the Vicious Cycle. A friend of mine turned me onto researching the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD, for short), which is a diet thought to heal the intestine (including bacterial overgrowth) through avoiding certain types of starches and sugars, and embracing others. Honey is a recommended sweetener for the SCD, as it’s a monosaccharide, and can be used by the body very quickly without expending much digestive energy.

I have many more thoughts on the SCD, but I’m still mentally digesting it, so that may be a good conversation for after the holidays.

For now, let’s just eat blondies.

Flourless Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Blondies
makes an 8″ pan worth of blondies

adapted from Peanut Butter Brownies in Breaking the Vicious Cycle

1 cup natural creamy peanut butter* (preferably organic)
1/3 cup honey
1 whole egg
1/4 teaspoon sea salt (if using unsalted peanut butter)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips

*Note: The peanut butter I used was very runny/oily which creates a thinner batter, as pictured below. If your natural peanut butter is on the thicker side, I recommend reducing the amount of peanut butter by a few tablespoons, to avoid a dry result.

Preheat oven to 350F and grease an 8″ square pan with butter or coconut oil. In a small bowl, mix the peanut butter, honey, egg, salt and baking soda until well combined, then fold in the chocolate chips.

Pour the batter into the greased pan, and use a spatula to smooth the top.

SONY DSC

Bake at 350F for 18 to 20 minutes, or until the top is a light golden brown.

Let cool, then cut into squares and serve! They were unbelievably gooey and delicious while still slightly warm.

Flourless Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Blondies
Cook time:
Serves: 16

These flourless blondies are unbelievably gooey and decadent when served straight from the oven!
  • 1 cup natural creamy peanut butter (preferably organic)
  • ⅓ cup honey
  • 1 whole egg
  • ¼ teaspoon sea salt (*if using unsalted peanut butter)
  • ½ teaspoon baking soda
  • ½ cup dark chocolate chips
  1. Preheat oven to 350F and grease an 8" square pan with butter or coconut oil.
  2. In a small bowl, mix the peanut butter, honey, egg, salt and baking soda until well combined, then fold in the chocolate chips.
  3. Pour the batter into the greased pan, and use a spatula to smooth the top.
  4. Bake at 350F for 18 to 20 minutes, or until the top is a light golden brown.
  5. Let cool, then cut into squares and serve!

While these blondies aren’t strictly combined, they do follow the basic principle of not mixing starches and proteins.

Personally, I tend to relax my food combining rules a bit when it comes to special treats, especially since I could be eating much worse than a naturally-sweetened, flour-free blondie. Obviously, these aren’t goodies we should eat with reckless abandon, but after a veggie-centric meal, I feel perfectly fine indulging in one of these decadent bars.

Since they’re so rich and nutrient-dense, it’s kinda difficult to over-indulge anyway!

Of course, Austin and I managed to polish off more than our fair share last night, so don’t quote me on that last part.

Happy baking!!

Reader Feedback: Do you try to serve “healthy” treats to your holiday guests? Or do you stick to traditional tried-and-true favorites? I used to be too scared to make a “healthy-tasting” cookie for company, but now I don’t have to worry about that!! Vegan Pumpkin Pie and these Peanut Butter blondies don’t taste like a healthy substitute… they actually taste better than the traditional versions!!

242 thoughts on “Flourless Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Blondies

1. Pingback: 100 Days of Pregnancy: Day 46 {Brownie Recipe Round-up, PCOS Style} | With Great Expectation

2. Mimi A.

Do yo think this would still be good if I added one banana? And if I did should I alter the amount for the other ingredients?

3. Samara

These were so good! I confess I ate nearly half the recipe… Oops! Anyways I did make some modifications because I don’t eat peanut butter (I’m convinced they give me acne). I used a combination of sunflower seed butter, almond cashew butter and almond butter… But I only used 3/4 cup because the butters I used were near the bottom of the jar or generally just not very oily. So I replaced the remaining 1/4 cup with melted coconut oil. I used a combination of honey and maple syrup. I also added a little vanilla and cinnamon on a whimsy; not sure how much of a difference it made. And I definitely included the chocolate chips! Yum! These are not as dense/chewy/cakey as a normal brownie but definitely gooey and moist and just plain delicious. I don’t know if they would be denser without so much oil but doesn’t matter. So amazing and would definitely make again! It’s a great recipe to experiment with too.

4. Jennifer

These tasted wonderful! I made them yesterday for our weekly game night, and they were gone in seconds, with everyone raving about how good they were. Since I am a vegan, I substituted a flax egg and they turned out great, with no hint of a flax taste.

5. Leora

Hi Megan!

I’m planning on making this recipe tonight for my co-workers to enjoy tomorrow. You used at 8×8 pan, I was planning on using an 8.5×13 pan. Do you think I can double the ingredients or should I just increase all the ingredients by a 1/3? Also, after increasing the amount, do you have any tips for baking time?

I’m still fairly new to baking deserts, I usually just do cookies.

Thank you for the wonderful recipes, I love your site!

6. Pingback: Quick & Easy Recipes – Flourless Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Blondies Recipe

7. Marie

Thank you for your wonderful website! When my husband went gluten free/dairy free I was paralyzed with fear. Your website got me cooking again. Made these as well as many other recipes and they were amazing. I subbed in a banana for half the honey and reduced the PB by about 1/6 of a cup. Loved it! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

8. Pingback: Gluten free corn bread in a cast iron skillet

9. Pingback: Skillet Corn Bread #glutenfree | JanNews Blog

10. Grace

Tried these at a friend’s house and had to make them myself! Sad to say, we did not have ANY chocolate chips in the house, so I added a heaping teaspoon of cocoa powder and upped the honey a bit for more liquid. The batter tasted amazing! They’re baking right now!

11. Pingback: Skillet Corn Bread #glutenfree | Xcuz Me

12. Sonia

I tried these for the second time today. The first time they were too dry, so this time I tried a pb brand that is very oily and runny (Trader Joe’s organic creamy). They are still way too dry and crumbly…I’ll definitely be adding an extra egg (or two) if I decide to try it again.

13. Pingback: Blondies sans farine | indexdemesrecettes

1. Jessica

I’m not a fan of counting calories while eating real food, but I have to keep track of my protein count at the moment. I use the free app My Fitness Pal and add the ingredients to a recipe and state how many servings it makes and it will calculate the nutritional info for you.

14. Pingback: Maple Cinnamon Peanut Butter Blondies Recipe | Healthy Sweet Eats

15. Amber

Followed the recipe exactly only I didn’t add salt. My batter was more of a cookie dough, I was worried they would be dry but they turned out moist, chewy and delicious.I will be making these constantly, soooo insanely good.

16. Pingback: Chia Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies {gluten free & packed with omega-3!} | Ambitious Kitchen

17. Jana

Hi Megan, I love your web and these blondies:-) however, I would Luke to asi you something. Yesterday I made blondies and I do not know why – when I was combining the ingredients, peanut butter released peanut oil. Firstly in the bowl and then also during baking. I have no idea what I did wrong, I baked it at least 10 times without aby problems. Have you got aby idea what the problem could have been? Thank you very much 🙂 Jana

18. Pingback: Flourless Peanut Butter & Cacao Nib Blondies | ANGIE & JAMES DO STUFF

19. Pam

Hi-I just came across these on Facebook and look amazing! Do you think that i could mix the batter tonight and heat up tomorrow? I love the idea of having them straight from the oven – I’m having dinner at a friend’s… so i either make and bring tonight or mix tonight and heat tomorrow.. thoughts?

20. Juanita

I made these using unsweetened dark chocolate chips. The taste was alright but nothing to get too excited over. The texture was my main issue. They had a hard to thick, hard to swallow texture even though I thinned the peanut butter with a little coconut oil and extra honey. I froze them and they were much more manageable but taste was ho-hum.

21. Tiffany

These are absolutely amazing. As I am allergic to chocolate, I substituted unsweetened carob chips. I used fresh ground peanut butter as well.

Peanuts are technically a legume, which are naturally more difficult to digest. I tend to not recommend eating them if you’re trying to heal a health issue, but they can be enjoyed as a treat every now and then. (Which is why I still include organic peanut butter in several of my dessert recipes– my husband can’t get enough of it!)

22. Allisha

Question, I want to make this, but am planning on using Stevie instead of honey. How can I still make it moist? Should I add water or coconut oil?

23. Anj

They look delicious but after reading the majority of the comments, I just don’t know. I’m not a fan of using ingredients only to have them not turn in to something yummy.

I did the nutritional count on them and this is what I came up with:

For 16 bars, this is per bar:

138 calories
    fat: 9.4g
    sodium: 45 mg
    carbs: 11.5 g
    fiber: 1 g
    sugar: 9.3g
    Protein: 4.7g

Not sure if it’s worth it…I work with a trainer and she wants me to log every morsel of food that goes in my mouth. General consensus???

24. Onaella

Megan,

Can I suggest you include a pic of what the batter looks like before you put it in the oven? It would help the new bakers like myself. When I saw this batter I was really worried but it baked up perfectly and these are so good….hopefully they last me the week!