Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream (dairy-free)

With St. Patrick’s Day right around the corner, I can’t think of a better way to celebrate than with a big bowl of minty-green ice cream.

Mint Chocolate Chip has always been one of my favorite ice cream flavors, right up until the invention of cookie dough ice cream. Naturally, all bets were off after that, since consuming raw cookie dough was strictly forbidden in my house–> I felt like such a rebel eating cookie dough, in any form!

But, back to mint chocolate chip.

It’s still one of my favorites, and now we can enjoy the sweet, minty flavor without worrying about any refined sugars or cholesterol from dairy fat!

This ice cream gets its creaminess, along with it’s pale green color, from ripe avocados. (Don’t worry, you can’t really taste them!) Blended with a touch of coconut oil, raw honey and pure peppermint extract, this is the type of treat that won’t slow you down when you feel like an Irish jig!

Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
makes 2 1/2 cups

inspired by this recipe

2 ripe avocados
1/2 cup almond milk (or non-dairy milk of choice)
3 tablespoons raw honey
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract*
2 oz. dark chocolate, chopped or shaved

*Peppermint extracts may vary by brand, so be sure to start off with a smaller amount of extract and adjust to your taste.

Directions

Throw all ingredients, except the chocolate, into a high-powered blender, and blend until smooth and creamy. Stop and scrape down the blender container, as necessary.

You can fold in your dark chocolate chunks at this point, or simply sprinkle them on before serving.

Allow to set in the freezer for 4-6 hours, or until you can’t wait anymore.

(There’s nothing wrong with chilled mint-chocolate pudding, if you’re impatient!)

Garnish with extra chocolate, then enjoy this cold, creamy treat immediately!

4.6 from 5 votes
This ice cream gets its creaminess, along with it's pale green color, from ripe avocados-- but no one will be able to tell once they taste it!
Servings: 4
Author: Detoxinista.com
  • 2 ripe avocados
  • 1/2 cup almond milk (homemade recipe here)
  • 3 tablespoons raw honey
  • 2 tablespoons coconut oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract*
  • 2 oz . dark chocolate , chopped or shaved
  1. Combine all ingredients, except the chocolate, into a high-powered blender, and blend until smooth and creamy. Stop and scrape down the blender container, as necessary.
  2. Be sure to taste-test at this point, and make any necessary adjustments, then transfer to a freezer-safe container.
  3. Fold in your dark chocolate chunks, if desired, or simply sprinkle them on before serving.
  4. Allow to set in the freezer for 4-6 hours. (There's nothing wrong with enjoying chilled mint-chocolate pudding, if you're impatient, though!)
  5. Garnish with extra chocolate, then enjoy this cold, creamy treat immediately!
Recipe Notes

I hope you all enjoy this ice cream as much as I do! Austin doesn’t care for mint-chocolate ice cream, in general, so I guess I’ve got this batch all to myself.

Darn. πŸ˜‰

Reader Feedback: What’s your favorite ice cream flavor? Do you plan to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day this weekend?

Hi, I’m Megan. A former fast food junkie turned certified nutritionist consultant, trying to make healthy living as easy as possible. I believe in eating delicious whole foods on a regular basis to help naturally support the body’s detox organsβ€” no juice fasting required. (Unless you want to!) If you make one of my healthy recipes, tag @detoxinista on Instagram or Facebook so I can see!

71 thoughts on “Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream (dairy-free)

1. sam

I am going to make this today love mint flavour actually I use the same brand, I use their almond extract too I think they are much better then from frontier.
    Favourite ice cream chocolate coconut flavour and mint one.
    Megan Can you write what side effect do you have from stevia? Are they gone when you use raw honey? How much stevia have you been using? I am asking cause I use it a lot. I put it everywhere.
    Thanks a lot

Sam, I don’t plan on talking about my experience until I know more– I think it would be very irresponsible of me to write about a “hunch” that I’m having, especially in regards to a product that I love! I still believe that stevia is a safe alternative to sugar, and just because my body may (or may not) be having a reaction to it, doesn’t mean that it will effect you or others. I’ve been known to develop a temporary intolerance to avocados after eating them too often, as well, so my body may just be sensitive to eating anything too frequently.

I certainly wouldn’t recommend that everyone cut back on avocados, simply because I happen to have a reaction to them, so I am treating stevia with the same respect. For now, I appreciate your respect for my privacy, and if you are feeling good while using stevia, then I hope you keep enjoying it!

1. sam

Thanks a lot of course I do understand that and respect it.With me it is that I eat lots of avocados daily and use stevia but I ca not may be recognize the side effect of intolerance. You know I might feel a bit tires one day or feel bloated or whatever but I do not think it comes from food. But sure I have to watch my food journal more carefully. Just wanted to ask have you ever done liver cleanse with lemon and olive oil? Or have you only use aloe vera for liver cleanse? Thanks a lot. My colon therapist suggest me to do so before colonics.

2. Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat

Mmmm yess I was hoping there’d be avocado in this recipe! Mint chocolate chip is one of my faves too, as well as cookie dough, but normally I’m in more of a fruity mood so I tend to go for sorbets. The rainbow one at Baskin Robbins gets me every time!

3. Emily

I have saved this page in my must make folder! It sounds delicious. Have you ever stirred thinly minced fresh mint in? I noticed HD do that and got a little inspired… The flavor of ice cream I would have if I could ever make it healthy is chocolate pecan praline. I guess it could be done, but would likely be a bit of a sugar bomb!

I’ve used fresh mint leaves before, but in my experience they can be a bit of a gamble– I’ve had them ruin a couple avocado “milkshakes” before, when the leaves happen to be too bitter. I love throwing them in salads, though!

Chocolate pecan praline sounds like an amazing flavor. Must try that one, too! πŸ™‚

Definitely try the chocolate mousse! My favorite combo lately has been avocado + ripe banana + cocoa powder. Naturally sweet and creamy!

I bet it would! I actually meant to try it in mine, but I forgot to freeze the bowl and was too impatient. πŸ™‚

Let me know if it works for you!

4. Jeanne

This looks fabulous! I love avocado and they are so cheap at the farmer’s market right now but lately they have been giving me a stomach ache…not sure why and it totally sucks! I am going to try to make it with bananas…I hope the peppermint banana combo is not too weird…I’ll have to make a tiny test batch first πŸ™‚

thanks for the inspiration as always!

I bet it’ll be delicious! I enjoyed a banana + avocado + cocoa pudding this afternoon, and it was so good. πŸ™‚

Let us know how the peppermint flavor works out!

5. tbui

Hi Megan, can I use canola oil instead of coconut oil if I don’t have it on hand? You mention that it gives the right consistency and texture but I’m not sure if that’s because it’s an oil or because it’s specifically coconut oil.

I think it has to be specifically coconut oil, because it’s the only oil that I know of that solidifies at temperatures below 76 degrees. Butter may actually work, if you want to try that!

6. Alyssa

Just wanted to let you know that I tried this, loved it, met a new girl at work who has the same food interests so I told her about it, she bought like 10 avocados and made some herself, and now her grandparents are hooked because they think it’s real frozen yogurt and they ask for it every night (but she won’t tell them what’s really in it because it would probably scare them) hahaha. I love it.

7. kaylan

Hi Megan!

I really love your blog and have been on my own health and wellness journey for a few years now! I moved from illinois to orange county this year and am in LOVE with how much health food outlets/ conscious people are here! I would love to meet up and ask you how u got our certificate and how you started helping others! With the Passion and knowledge I have from my own journey,i am determined to help others as a career and cant wait any longer as I just feel so stuck in my corporate job that sucks my inspiration!

Yes, it’s definitely health-friendly out here on the west coast. I love it!

As far as my training goes, I received my certificate from Institute for Integrative Nutrition, and received additional training from detox-expert Natalia Rose and chef Doris Choi. If you want to email me (detoxinista (at) gmail (dot) com) with any additional questions you have, I’d be happy to answer them if I can!

Hope you’re enjoying California so far! πŸ™‚

8. Jennifer

I just stumbled upon your blog the other day and have to say I’m glad I did! I wanted to share with individuals that might want to try this, but don’t want to eat that much avocado. I opted for 1/2 a papaya as I’m prone to sit and eat the entire serving.

Papaya has little flavor and will pick up everything! Along with bananas, if frozen, it makes a wonderful base for ice cream! Don’t prefreeze the papaya for this, however, as you’ll have a hard time getting the coconut oil and honey to blend (it hardens).

It was heavenly! Definitely didn’t get the green hue…but I suppose pink matches the peppermint, right πŸ™‚ I split this into 2 individual cup servings and tossed in the freezer! Let set out a little before eating or, to get rid of the crystalized effect, you can toss it back in the blender real quick.

Wow, what a great idea! Thanks for sharing the papaya tip!! I bet if you used a green papaya, it would even look similar to the avocado version! πŸ˜‰

1. Kristen

Just wanted to make a quick suggestion (possibly worth a try) to make your ice cream “green” if using papaya. Try adding a handful of spinach. I’ve made a pistachio ice cream (coconut milk base) and wanted it to be green so I added some spinach and it colored it perfectly….couldn’t taste anything “green” about it.

9. Mary@ Finding Healthy Hope

Hey Megan!
    Just wanted to say that your blog has been such a blessing to me!
    We have been transitioning to an all vegan diet, and some of your recipes have been SO helpful!
    thank you so much for doing a lot of the work for me.
    and as for your post today on almonds…i will DEFINITELY be ordering online as of now! πŸ™‚

10. Pingback: Foodie Friday Avocado Mint Ice Cream - |

11. Marlene*

WOW! Detoxinista* Living in Arizona, I have been wanting to make my own ice cream for forever but never have had an ice cream maker, also have wanted to try “Italian Zabaglione” which doesn’t need an ice cream maker either. Now I can try your ice cream using one of our family favorites,:) Avacados and WOW! again, this will be so much more darn healthy instead of the sugar free ones at the grocery stores which have some unhealthy sugar substitute ingredients in them, if you remember from me mentioning earlier, we are a diabetic family and try whole heartily to eat healthy unsweeteneded or natural sugar free products. I tell my family when they ask, “what’s for dessert”, I say, this wonderful natural peach, banana or any other fruit that is on hand, is what we are having for dessert πŸ™‚

12. Helen

Is there any alternatives to coconut oil? I think I’m a bit allergic to coconuts… this icecream sure looks interesting would love to try it.

I haven’t tried it myself, but I’ve heard Palm oil has the same qualities as coconut oil, so maybe that would work? Otherwise, you could try using grass-fed butter!

13. Jessica

Thanks for sharing this recipe! Mint chocolate is a favorite combination of mind πŸ™‚ However, this recipe didn’t work out for me… tasted very much like avocado with a little bit of chocolate. I tried to add in more milk/honey/mint and playing around with it, but when it came out of the freezer the taste wasn’t too good. Hmmm, do you know what could’ve gone wrong? Others here seemed to like it, so maybe it’s just me lol

1. Danielle

Jessica, the same thing happened to me. I think you just gotta mentally block out the avocado. However, before i froze mine i added another teaspoon or so of the mint, an extra ROUNDED tablespoon of honey, a squirt of blue agave, and semisweet chocolate chips (whole). That did the trick for the most part. Avocados are just so darn full of flavor its going to be hard to mask it. Good luck in the future though!

14. Pingback: mint chocolate ice cream « coconut hobo

15. Amy

I tried it as an ice cream but couldn’t get into the texture, so I thawed it out and ate it as a pudding! Yummy! Awesome blog BTW, you make me want to get back into it πŸ˜‰

16. Lea Anna B

Hi, I am on paleo and do not have raw honey on hand, will stevia work the same or is honey imperative for the right texture?? πŸ™‚ I can’t wait to make this *hopefully* tomorrow

I have no idea, as I can only comment on things I try myself. Please let us know if you have any success!

17. Pingback: Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream | sunflowers and stilettos

18. Lindsay

I feel like something went wrong here. I was so excited to try this but it was just not good. Does the ripeness of the avocado affect the strength of the avocado flavor substantially? The mint extract? There’s no way other people were eating something that tasted like mine and calling it good… I want to like it. I’m going to melt it and try to kill the flavor w cocoa powder and see what happens… Unless you have a better suggestion. On the other hand, I love your vanilla chia pudding recipe- totally addicted! Great blog!

19. Jessi

Love green chocolate mint ice cream (the kinda from Braum’s was my favorite as a kid). So I really wanna try making this sometime. But my dad pointed out that avocados begin to turn brown soon after hitting the air. How do you avoid that happening while in the process of making this “ice cream” recipe?

The avocados don’t turn brown immediately, so as long as you freeze the ice cream after mixing it together, there’s nothing to worry about. When frozen, I didn’t notice the avocados turning brown like they do when refrigerated.

20. Penny

It’s official, I just cant do avocados unless they are plain. I ended up adding too much mint trying to hide the taste and it ended up bitter so I threw it out. My toddlers also love them plain, so we’ll just stick to eating them that way.

21. Pingback: Double Chocolate Avocado Ice Cream (dairy-free) - Hummusapien | Hummusapien

22. Marie

This recipe is divine!! Even my avocado hating kids cannot get enough of this stuff – it barely makes it into the freezer. I have a batch in the freezer just now. Thanks so much for sharing!!

23. Pingback: Let me blend that for you - Cat Food is Good For You : Cat Food is Good For You

24. Pingback: A Late Thanksgiving Weekend Recap! | Run 2 Your Own Beat

25. Melanie

It’s so cool that you used avocados to make the ice cream look minty. Avocados in desserts give you that creaminess that we love so much. Yum, just thinking about it makes me want to make some right now.

I’m 18 and just started my own food blog and it’s been a fun challenge. I’m at: aglutenfreelovestory.blogspot.com

Yes, this recipe isn’t labeled vegan since it calls for honey. But, you could easily substitute another sweetener, if you prefer!

26. Sue

My 11-year-old daughter and I really tried to like it. Didn’t. Tasted like avocado but sweet. I guess I’m a savory-recipe-avocado person. Cut it into small frozen chunks to throw a little at a time into my Bullet with other ingredients and hide the taste.

27. Pingback: DF, Refined Sugar Free Mint Chip Ice Cream | the perplexing palate

28. Pingback: Homemade Dairy-Free Ice Creams | Eating Real, Being Real

29. Yoli

Uh oh, I hope this comes out good. It is in the freezer now. A lot of reviews don’t like it, now I am going to think it tastes like avocados. Will let you know.

Yoli

30. Richard Bronosky

I see that you have used the frozen banana in a food processor trick to get a good ice cream consistency. Have you tried freezing the avocados first? I quartered 3 avocados and tossed them in lemon juice before putting them in the freezer tonight. I’m going to try putting them in the Blendtec tomorrow. I’ll let you know how it goes.

31. Alexa

Hi Megan!

Will you make a mint milkshake version of this? Im craving a shamrock shake. would you just up the amount of almond milk? Love your cado-milkshakes!!

32. asia

just made this recently, not quite pleased . My icecream came was too tough to scoop out, so I had to wait like 20 min before I was able to serve. My husband and kids didn’t like it, so wont make it again. However, it tasted good in smoothie.

33. Amy

Hi there, I was thinking of substituting the honey for agave, that should work fine, right? Since I am guess the honey is meant as a sweeter.

34. Amy V.

I was thinking about substituting the honey for agave. That should work, right? Since the honey is being used as the sweetener.

35. Casey

This looks amazing! Is it possible to use cocoa powder instead of pieces of dark chocolate? How much would you use? Thank you in advance!

36. Tracy

I found I had to at least triple the honey and peppermint extract to mask the avocado flavor. You can also make your own healthier chocolate chips to add to this by mixing 1 c. coconut oil, 1 c. cocoa powder, 1/3 c. raw honey, 1 tbsp vanilla over low heat on stove – then pour on parchment paper on cookie sheet and freeze. After a few hours break up with your hands and store in container in freezer until ready to use.

37. Pingback: Chocolate Coconut Avocado Ice Cream | The Hungry Artist

38. Pingback: 100 Days of Avocado – Day 8 – Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream | Peace. Travel. Avocado

39. Pingback: 15 Surprising Uses for Avocado - Vv MagazineVv Magazine | Toronto & Vancouver News, Trends, Food, Fashion, and Gossip

40. Pingback: mammina — Life. Love. Ideas.

41. Daryl

I miss ice cream, and mint chip was always one of my favorites, but I was a little leery about the whole avocado ice cream situation. Sadly, I’m off nuts at the moment (I would kill for a chocolate peanut butter shake right now), so I was forced to substitute coconut milk. Since I am absolutely in love with the avocado chocolate pudding (which I keep doubling and eat probably two weeks out of the month), I thought I would give this a try. The flavor was really good — didn’t taste the slightest hint of avocado, and had the perfect ratio of mint and chocolate. The texture, however, was not my favorite. It was more reminiscent of ice milk (which might be due to the coconut milk substitution), and as soon as it was frozen, it was like a block of ice. I threw it in the microwave after letting it sit on the counter didn’t do much. Again, liked the flavor but really did not like the texture. So I did what any smart girl would do: I made brownies! I used the recipe from your cookbook (which is pretty much my bible) and added a bit of mint to the batter. The ice cream sandwiched between two hot brownies was pretty darn tasty! Will I made it again? Maybe after I can start eating nuts again and can try it with almond milk. I finished off the last of the brownies last night. Very sad.