Raw Lemon Meltaways

How about a sweet, refreshing treat today?

These raw, bite-sized Lemon Meltaways are naturally sweetened with a touch of honey, and are bursting with tart lemon flavor! Loaded with healthy fats from coconut oil and a hearty dose of magnesium from raw cashews (good for bone health!), these melt-in-your-mouth confections taste decadent, but can be enjoyed guilt-free.

The best part? They can be whipped together in minutes!

Raw Lemon Meltaways
makes 12-15, depending on size

adapted from Everyday Raw

1/2 cup raw cashew butter
3 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 Tablespoons raw honey
3 Tablespoons coconut oil, melted
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
pinch sea salt
2 teaspoons lemon zest (optional)

mini paper baking cups

Garnish with additional lemon zest, if you like, and serve immediately!

These “meltaways” will do just that–> they’ll melt away if left at room temperature too long! Be sure to serve frozen, so they’re nice and firm, like a lemon bar with a texture reminiscent of cheesecake.

Note: If you’re in the mood for a more traditional lemon bar, feel free to add a raw graham cracker crust to the bottom of each cup! You could even double the recipe above, and make an entire 8″ pan of raw lemon bars.

(I’m just impatient and prefer to eat the filling as quickly as possible.)

Raw Lemon Meltaways
Cook time:
Serves: 12-15

These raw, bite-sized Lemon Meltaways are naturally sweetened with a touch of honey, and are bursting with tart lemon flavor! Loaded with healthy fats from coconut oil and a hearty dose of magnesium from raw cashews (good for bone health!), these melt-in-your-mouth confections taste decadent--> but can be enjoyed guilt-free.
  • ½ cup raw cashew butter
  • 3 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 2 Tablespoons raw honey
  • 3 Tablespoons coconut oil, melted
  • ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
  • pinch sea salt
  • 2 teaspoons lemon zest (optional)
  • mini paper baking cups
  1. In a medium bowl, combine all of the ingredients and mix until very smooth and creamy.
  2. On a baking sheet, lay out the mini baking cups (I recommend double-layering them for sturdiness, or using silicone baking cups). Spoon the batter into each cup, then place in the freezer to set for 30 minutes, or until solid.
  3. Garnish with additional lemon zest, if you like, and serve immediately!
Notes
These "meltaways" will do just that--> they'll melt away if left at room temperature too long! Be sure to serve frozen, so they're nice and firm, like a lemon bar with a texture reminiscent of cheesecake. Note: If you're in the mood for a more traditional lemon bar, feel free to add a raw graham cracker crust to the bottom of each cup! You could even double the recipe above, and make an entire 8" pan of raw lemon bars. I'm just impatient and prefer to eat the filling as quickly as possible.

Hope you enjoy these quick, lemon-filled sweets this summer!

Comments

1. Madelyn says

Love the post. Looks so good. I will have to try it out. I have a random question I’ve been wanting to ask you. Why don’t you eat beans? The only ones I like are garbonzo beans in my salads. I can’t do cheese because I get rashes from dairy. And garbonzo beans keep me full for a long time. What about quinoa? Just curious about your opinion. Also, do you have an advice for me. I’m getting married on September and would love to tone up and lose 5-10lb. :) I eat pretty good but seem to snack healthy things a lot.

• says

Beans don’t sit too well in my system, so I tend to avoid them for the most part. I do still enjoy them on a rare occasion, like at a dinner out, just not regularly.

My best advice is to not do anything too drastic before your wedding! Brides have a tendency to fall victim to get-slim-quick plans, and can wind up miserably yo-yoing before their big day. Your skin and body will thank you for eating well and being consistent. :)

2. jeanne says

Lemon in summer is so right. This looks fantastic and gives me an excuse to eat cashew butter…Thanks!!!!

3. says

Oh my gosh, that batter (mixture? whatever it’s called lol) looks heavenly- I could eat that with a spoon!

However, I would try and refrain so I could freeze it into these morsels- looks like such a refreshing treat for summer!

4. Tiffany says

These look yummy! Do you think I could make my own cashew butter in my food processor instead of buying a jar of it?

• says

Yes, you can definitely make your own! Just make sure you don’t soak the cashews before blending– the water can affect the results.

5. Maria says

I tried to make the cashew butter with my vitamix but I only got cashew flour, so the result was a grainy lemon meltaway. Also exchange the honey for liquid stevia. As soon as I’m done with the candida diet :) I will try your original recipe. The flavor is great! Loved it ! Can you help me with the cashew or almond butter? I don’t need any more flour :)
    LOVE ALL YOUR RECIPES ! And whenever I feel that I am falling off the wagon I start reading your old posts and rapidly get back in track. THANK YOU FOR SHARING AND HELPING SO MUCH !

• says

If the nuts aren’t breaking down into a butter, I add a touch of oil to the blender, to help facilitate blending. Just add a little at a time, until it starts to break down further into the nut butter. Macadamia nut or almond oil are good options!

• Caitlin says

Hi! Can you tell me how much liquid stevia you used in place of the honey (2T seems like way too much)? I, too, am on a Candida diet and would love to make these sans honey!

Thanks :)

• Megan says

Stevia is tricky to give measurements for, because it will depend on the brand you’re using, along with how sensitized you are to the sweet taste of stevia. Those who have been using stevia for a long time will need to add more than a person who just started using it. Luckily, you can just add it a few drops at a time and taste the batter as you go, until it perfectly suits your own taste!

6. says

These look delicious!! I totally am obsessed with cashew butter, so these are right up my alley. I may just leave the lemon out since I’m not much of a lemon fan in desserts! And how adorable are these

7. Anna says

Do they have a strong coconut oil taste/smell?
    I find whenever I make sweets with coconut oil is seems to overpower the other ingredients.

• says

I don’t think the coconut oil taste is very prominent– though, I may be immune to it at this point, since I eat coconut oil so often! The tartness of the lemon is definitely the stronger flavor in this particular recipe.

Also, different coconut oils have different tastes, so you might try experimenting with different brands to see if one has less of a coconut-y flavor for you. (I’ve heard that Tropical Traditions is good in that regard!)

• says

I’ve never noticed a weird odor while baking with coconut oil! Though, I usually add garlic to everything, so maybe that covers it.

Since this recipe is raw, there’s no baking or odor to worry about! 😉

• says

Hmm… I have no idea! Almond butter has a distinct flavor, so it may interfere with the lemon taste. I guess you’ll never know until you try!

And please let us know how it works! 😉

8. Jillian says

These are delicious!! I tried them with almond butter, because I didn’t have cashew butter on hand, but they were so good. Thank you so much for all of your easy and delicious recipes!

9. says

I don’t like lemon, and LOVE anything that tastes like vanilla frosting. What exactly do you use instead of the 3 tbsp lemon juice for vanilla? Extract, of the same volume? I’ve got madagascar vanilla powder, which I haven’t used yet because I have no idea how to use it in place of extract… (I heard extract wasn’t as “good” tasting since it’s alcohol-based so I got a jar of this stuff to try adding to teas and vegan raw chocolate, but it’s just collecting dust so far)

• says

Hmmm… I’d probably increase the vanilla to 1/2 teaspoon to punch the flavor, and maybe just try a couple tablespoons of water instead of the lemon juice? I’ve never tried the vanilla powder, either. I’d love to hear how it goes!

10. Jessica says

I found this recipe from Pinterest and have had it on my list for a while… it took me a while to find the ingredients. I just made them tonight and mmmm they are delicious!! Once you blend it up, it doesn’t look lemony because of the cashew butter, but then you get a surprise lemony punch when you taste it. YUM! Thanks so much- this is a great way to start trying to eat more raw foods- it shows me that I can have tasty treats too! I can’t figure out how to rate it more than 1 star, but I give it 5!!

11. Wendy says

Will you please provide nutritional information like grams of sugar,protein, carbs, etc. And what is the calorie count?

• says

There are no walnuts in this recipe, but if you’re allergic to cashews as well, it will be tricky to replicate the exact flavor. You can try using seeds, such as sunflower seeds, or maybe try something like cream cheese? It’ll definitely take some experimenting! Good luck!

12. Jen says

What brand of cashew butter do you use? I just made these (delicious!!) but mine are a darker color. More like roasted cashews even though the jar says raw. I used clear vanilla too so that’s not it. I love all of your recipes I’ve tried so far! Thanks!!

13. Emelie says

These were seriously good! I even had a whole cup of cashew butter and it still came out great! My mum liked them too!

/All the way from Sweden

14. Zae says

These are the most delicious treats I have ever tasted. Super easy to make and best of all they were raw.

15. Natalia says

Mixed some of these up tonight with tahini as im allergic to all nuts and most seeds. Really excited to try them tomorow, supposed to be a hot day here.

Thnk yu for sharing such easy, healthy, adaptable recipes :)

16. Crystal says

hey Megan! Could I sub soaked cashews blended in the vitamix for the cashew butter? Or is the consistency affected significantly?

• Megan says

I would thoroughly dry the cashews in a dehydrator or oven before blending them into cashew butter. Wet cashews create a very strange, gooey texture that I don’t care for in any cashew-based desserts. But, it’s definitely easy to make your own cashew butter in the Vitamix, as long as the cashews are dry. I do it all the time!

17. Rebecca says

Made these tonite… A–MAZING!! So good! I am a lemon lover and these just hit the spot. Soooo good!!

18. Sarah says

Do you think macadamia butter would be a good substitute? My daughter is allergic to cashews, and macadamias seem like a similar nut to cashews. Maybe too oily? Anyone sub that out yet?

19. Sam says

Would you not recommend omitting the vanilla extract!?! I’ve been dying to make these and now realize I have no vanilla on hand:( should I just wait and go but some?! Ha

20. Kendall says

This was my 7th or 8th recipe I’ve tried from your website. While most of them have tasted pretty good (I have been making your muffins regularly), not one of my recipes has turned out anything like your pictures. I have no idea how you got your lemon meltaways so pale and yellow like that. :/

21. says

My family loves this recipe! Because cashew butter is not expensive, i’ve been making these with Trader Joes cashew flour. I use either my immersion blender or the food processor and process until smooth. They have a lovely taste!

THanks so much!

22. Anna says

These are absoulutely WONDERFUL!!! They really do melt in your mouth, and they are easy, fast, and delicous! Thank’s so much DETOXINISTA!!!

23. Holly says

Suggestions for replacements for those with nut allergies? Thanks! (my Son is allergic to Walnuts and pecans & cashews bother him as well but not Almonds)

24. Kay says

Wish I had read all the comments before making these. I didn’t want to spend $19.99 for a jar of cashew butter at Whole Foods so bought the raw cashews that they grind for you. The texture was not as smooth which I should have fixed with some oil, but didn’t realize that until it was too late. I did use the coconut butter instead of the oil and it tasted great. I want to try this next time with limes. Thanks for all your great recipes

25. Jessica says

I just made these with coconut butter instead of cashew and now I have a new favourite summer treat :) So delicious…

26. Diane says

I read your FAQ regarding nutritional information and I don’t blame you for not wanting to mess with the numbers.

Having said that, I do think it should be noted that while these meltaways are small and use raw ingredients, cashews, honey, and coconut oil are extremely high in calories and fat. This should be one of those delicious treats that are eaten sparingly.

27. Nancy says

Loved these! I am going to try with half the coconut oil next time to reduce the greasiness a bit. I also made cashew butter for the first time in my Blendtech twister jar, took about 2 minutes…

Nancy