Vanilla Almond Milk

This isn’t the type of milk that belongs on your breakfast cereal.

It’s so sweet and delicious, it can be enjoyed all on its own!

Naturally sweetened with dates and loaded with rich vanilla flavor, I have a feeling I’ll be enjoying this cold and creamy treat all summer long.

Vanilla Almond Milk
makes 4 cups

Inspired by Pressed Juicery

1 cup raw almonds, soaked for 6-8 hours
4 cups filtered water
3-4 Medjool dates (soft ones, if possible)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon sea salt

Return the strained milk to the blender, and add the dates, vanilla and sea salt. Blend until the dates are completely broken down, adjust the flavor to your liking, then transfer to a container to store in the fridge.

Serve chilled!

Vanilla Almond Milk
Serves: 4

Naturally sweetened with dates and loaded with rich vanilla flavor, this creamy drink is the perfect summer treat.
  • 1 cup raw almonds, soaked for 6-8 hours
  • 4 cups filtered water
  • 3-4 Medjool dates (soft ones, if possible)
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
  1. Drain and rinse the soaked almonds, then toss them into a high-powered blender with the 4 cups of water. Blend until creamy, then strain using a nut milk bag.
  2. Return the strained milk to the blender, then add the dates, vanilla and sea salt. Blend until the dates are completely broken down, adjust the flavor to your liking, then transfer to a container to store in the fridge.
  3. Serve chilled and enjoy!

Hope you enjoy it!

Comments

1. Shannon says

I’m so glad you possted this recipe. I just read your “what I ate” from yestrrday on my email and was hoping you would post this because it sounded so good. I cannot wait to make this!

2. says

Homemade nut milks are the best! I used to make my own almond milk all the time and when I got a little tired of the flavor, I tried hazelnuts. Wow. It was amazing. You should try that one sometime, too! :-)

3. jeanne says

This looks so delicious…I usually drink the TJ’s vanilla unsweetened so this will be so much better! Yay!

I have major food waste neurosis though…I can’t throw away the pulp, I’ll feel guilty about it all day, same reason I can’t make juice…it’s leftover from when I was poor. Any ideas for what to do with it? Or do I just need to suck it up and compost it?

4. Cristina says

Thank you, thank you for adding Pinterest to your site! I read you every day and so enjoy your recipes. I look forward to “pinning” your posts to my boards and sharing them with friends so they can find your site and enjoy these healthy and delicious recipes too.

Have a wonderful day!

5. imogen says

Thank you so, so, much for your wonderful and healthy recipes! I always look forwards to reading your blog posts!

6. says

I love making vanilla almond milk! I never add dates to mine though, I guess that’s what makes it a better actual milk drink alternative. For some reason I can’t drink any milk, not even almond milk, reminds me to much of the real stuff I guess hah

7. Jen says

Hey this sounds delish! Does it combine as nuts/seeds category? Not sure since regular almond milk is neutral. Thanks!

• says

Yes, technically it does combine in the nut/seed category, since the dates aren’t strained out. However, since the pulp is so diluted in this recipe, it probably won’t impact digestion too much, as long as you don’t drink copious amounts at one time. ;)

8. Grace says

I know thats not related to almond milk, but I just thought I’d let you people know … its exiting to make organic, raw goodness from scratch! Plus almond milk and almond butter aren’t that far from eachother..one is just more watery! ;)

9. Elia says

That recipe sounds delicious! But I was wondering what was the difference between mixing all the ingredients together and adding the dates and vanilla only after the milk is strained. Does it changes the flavor? Make it sweeter maybe?

• says

I mixed the dates and vanilla afterward because I was trying to mimic the flavor and texture of the version available at Pressed Juicery. I think you could probably blend them all together before straining, and it would work just fine! Maybe the result would be slightly less sweet, from the straining of the dates, but I think it’s worth a shot!

10. Abbie says

I actually blended the dates before straining; the sweetness level was perfect for me, about halfway between unsweetened and sweetened storebought.

11. Lin says

I like to drink my homemade almond milk warm. For a rich and creamier taste, you could bring the almond milk slowly to a boil on the stove or in microwave afterwards. It’s sort of like pasteurizing it (who knows what particles gets in there after all that straining and squeezing through the nut bag…)
    Anyway, it almost tastes like hot chocolate. Delicious

12. Tina says

I LOVE your website!! I was wondering how long this can last in refrigerator once made…if I make a large batch. Thank you!!

13. says

I put my almond pulp in my dehydrator and it dries out the clumps and then I put it in my Blendtec and use it as almond flour!!! Works great and I love that I’m not wasting any! (I usually put my almond pulp in little Pampered Chef glass prep bowls and then into the freezer until I have about 1 or 2 cups of the pulp before I dehydrate it).

14. TeaJae says

I blanch my almonds for a less than a minute in a tiny bit of water pop them out of their skins no need to strain. Homemade almond milk trumps that store bought stuff (which is good at times) any day.

15. Leslie says

I use a similar recipe (1.5 c nuts to 4 cups of water) with a variety of other nuts…. Brazil and walnut are delicious and nutritious.
    Hazelnut is also good. I tried it with Sunflower Seeds not so good

16. Amy says

Hi Megan –

I made your almond milk this morning after letting my almonds soak overnight and it is fantastic! I cannot believe how easy it is to make and it tastes great. I have a question for you. Does almond milk freeze well?

17. Dan says

Great website and info… I can see you and I think alke on natural foods. I have moveed away from Almond Breeze Milk because of the controversy of the carageenan in it. I use almonds and my reverse osmosis water in my Nutri-Bullet. Quick and easy, no straining. I add cherry concentrate, organic shredded coconut, or almost any fruit to the mix, and delicious. I avoid any Dairy once I saw how the dairy milk is made and what happens to the cows and their baby calves.

Keep up the great job, Happy Holidays to you and all your family.

18. Michelle says

Hey Megan! I’m planning on trying this recipe this weekend but I’m wondering how long it’ll keep in the fridge?

19. Anna says

Hi Megan!

I made this for the first time last week. I also made the coffee creamer. Let me tell you, I was going nuts trying to find a substitute for my morning cappuccino, since soy and dairy are a no go. It tastes so refreshing and delicious!!! Unfortunately, after the first day, I started having very bad stomach ache. I think it’s because of the dates. It is the only new food I introduced in my diet and I have never ate them before. Do you have a substitute to suggest? I don’t really like the maple syrup flavor. Help!

Anna

20. Hannah says

I’d like to make this! Any idea of the nutritional value of 1 cup of this vanilla almond milk? Thanks!

Trackbacks