Honey Dijon Dressing

This dressing is a game-changer for me.

I’ve been on a mission to find a new dressing lately, and this one has surpassed all of my expectations. It’s so delicious, it makes me want to eat salad for every meal of the day!

An upgrade from classic Honey Mustard dressing, this version features a complex blend of ginger, garlic and honey– an unexpected combination that makes my taste buds rejoice with each bite. I realize that not everyone loves ginger, so feel free to use less, to your taste. Either way, the resulting dressing is sure to liven up your next salad!

Honey Dijon Dressing
makes about 1 cup

Adapted from Crazy Sexy Diet

1/4 cup stone-ground or Dijon mustard
2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 clove garlic
1 tablespoon minced ginger (about 1-inch, peeled)
2 Tablespoons honey*
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/4 cup water, or more for thinning

*Note: I’ve made this dressing with both honey and dates now, and both versions have been delicious. If you prefer using dates as a sweetener, for an extra-boost of fiber, use 2-3 dates plus an additional 1/4 cup of water. For those of you who need to avoid all sugars, use liquid stevia to your taste.

4.67 from 12 votes
Prep Time
5 mins
Total Time
5 mins

Servings: 1 cup
Author: Detoxinista.com
  • 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
  • 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
  • 2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1 tablespoon minced ginger (about 1-inch, peeled)
  • 2 Tablespoons honey*
  • 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
  • 1/4 cup water , or more for thinning
  1. In a high-speed blender, combine all of the ingredients and blend until smooth and creamy. Adjust the flavors to taste, and add more water if a thinner dressing is desired.
  2. Serve immediately, and store leftovers in the fridge for up to a week. (Dressing will thicken a bit when chilled.)
Recipe Notes
*Note: I've made this dressing with both honey and dates now, and both versions have been delicious. If you prefer using dates as a sweetener, for an extra-boost of fiber, use 2-3 dates plus an additional 1/4 cup of water. For those of you who need to avoid all sugars, use liquid stevia to your taste.

Hope you enjoy!

Reader Feedback: Are you a fan of Honey Dijon dressing? I was always scared of the creamy-looking types served at restaurants, but I’m a convert now!

Hi, I’m Megan. A former fast food junkie turned certified nutritionist consultant, trying to make healthy living as easy as possible. I believe in eating delicious whole foods on a regular basis to help naturally support the body’s detox organsβ€” no juice fasting required. (Unless you want to!) If you make one of my healthy recipes, tag @detoxinista on Instagram or Facebook so I can see!

40 thoughts on “Honey Dijon Dressing

1. Penny O

I am so into and loyal to the Creamy Tahini dressing I can’t even imagine loving another dressing. When I’m ready to move on I’ll try this one!

2. Lauren

This looks delicious! I made so much of your green goddess dressing that I think I’m a bit tapped out for the moment. πŸ™‚ Now I have an alternative to try! Thanks girl!

3. Mikki

I wanted a lazy dressing last week and shook up olive oil, raw apple cider vinegar and the “weird brown stone ground mustard” as I call it in a mini mason jar, I don’t even measure just eyeball. I am hooked so easy and yumm-o!

4. LAURA

Thank you soooo much! I am on my second bowl of salad thanks to this little gem of a dressing. Soooooo yummy. I have a feeling half the bottle will be gone tomorrow after hubby digs in. I used half honey/ half Stevita brand stevia. I am loving all your recipes!! Your site is an inspiration every day for me. Thanks again πŸ™‚

5. Marcia

This is fantastic. I was in a hurry so I just eyeballed everything instead of measuring. I made it with the dates. Poured it over a mix of random salad ingredients and it’s so delicious. Thanks for another winner!

6. Jen

Hi Megan, I have a question – what type of honey do you use in your recipes? Is it raw honey? I can’t wait to try this recipe, and I’ve always used agave nectar instead of honey – only to recently find out that agave is apparently not healthy. So I’m wondering if you use liquid honey or raw honey, and if you think raw honey would work in your recipes (like the one above, or the chocolate crinkles recipe)? Thanks Megan

It depends on the recipe. For any recipe that isn’t cooked, I prefer to use raw honey for the extra boost of nutrition! If I’m baking a recipe, such as the cookies, I’ll usually use liquid honey because it’s cheaper and will be heated during the baking process, anyway. I assume raw honey would work in the baked recipes, though, if you prefer!

7. Lana

YUM! This dressing is fabulous! I am losing weight by counting calories and changing from unhealthy to healthy foods. The total recipe has 450 calories.

8. Jody

I made this tonight. Beyond delicious! I have to restrain myself from putting too much on or getting a straw and drinking the stuff. Next time I’m going to try stevia instead of honey. Eating salad for lunch tomorrow , can’t wait! Thank you!

9. Patty

I just made this with half dijon and half stone ground mustards. Unbelievable!! So yummy I had to keep myself from just eating it with a spoon!

10. Vivian

This was excellent! Thank you!!! Instead of apple cider vinegar I used coconut vinegar and it was amazing πŸ™‚

11. Kim

I love this recipe. The ginger is key, it takes it from yummy to WOW. I often halve the recipe and make in a little container (a recycled glass spice jar) when I need to “sneak” it somewhere. I don’t even blend, just shake the heck out of it. I just now made some for tonight – we’re going to a baseball game and I know they have grilled chicken salad, so that with this yummy dressing on top is about as healthy as I can get at a Major League ballpark.

12. Gwyneth

I am finding the ginger a bit overpowering. Is there anything I can add to reduce the aftertaste of the ginger?

13. Jolene

My hubby and I love this dressing! Its really good. I also add a little bit of stevia combined with the honey for something a tash more sweeter. Overall, AWESOME! πŸ™‚

14. John Pilla

My wife and I have been making a similar dressing, but with raw, organic Maple Syrup. I started using Maple Syrup on my salads, because it has a lot of nutrients, and is easily available (New England), and I used it initially to help the spices “stick” to my salad (lettuce, kale, etc.) before mixing in the vinegar and oil. Then we added some dijon-horseradish mustard to the vinegar & oil for an extra little kick. Then we evolved to putting everything together and using a whisk — never thought of using a blender (Immersion or regular), though. …

I have a powerful blender, so I just throw them in with the rest of the ingredients after removing the pit– removing the pit is VERY important!! You can usually just split them in half with your fingers and pull the pit out easily. If your blender isn’t powerful, you may want to chop them up a bit, too.

15. Melissa

Very good! made this tonight. skipped the salt, subbed in maple syrup and used it on a wrap with goat cheese, avocado, sunflower seeds, red peppers, mixed greens and cucumbers. Excellent!

16. Mrss Buhrke

Hi Megan!
    just made the dressing and used 1/4 C mustard powder. Inedible! Did you use prepared mustard? Thanks!

Yes, Dijon mustard is prepared mustard. I’ve never used mustard powder, but I imagine it’s much more concentrated.

I think the standard ratio for substituting dried for fresh is 1:3, so I’d try using 1 teaspoon of dried ginger to replace the 1 tablespoon of fresh minced ginger. However, since dried can be super-concentrated in flavor, you might even start off with less and add more to taste as you go– maybe start with a 1/2 teaspoon?

17. Pingback: “Use What You Have” Veggie & Grain Salad | Blondes Eat Clean

18. Angela

This dressing was a game changer for me too! I’m a honey mustard girl and I have been lamenting the loss of this dressing ever since I have been eating healthier. This dressing of yours has brought a huge smile to my face! Thank you!