Sun Dried Tomato Hummus (Raw, Nut-free)

There’s nothing like a delicious dip to make me want to eat more veggies.

SONY DSC

Sun-dried tomatoes are a flavorful addition to this bean-free hummus, boosting the antioxidant content of an already healthy favorite. In lieu of the beans found in traditional recipes, fresh zucchini bulks up this version, keeping it properly combined and bursting with fiber, magnesium, potassium, and vitamins A and C. Paired with raw tahini, it’s also loaded with calcium and protein!

I hope you enjoy it with your favorite raw crudites, or as a sandwich spread.

Sun Dried Tomato Hummus (Raw, Nut-free)
makes about 1 1/2 cups

adapted from my Raw Zucchini Hummus

1 cup diced zucchini, peeled if you like
7 sun dried tomato halves, softened in warm water and chopped
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/3 cup raw tahini

Combine the diced zucchini, chopped sun-dried tomatoes, garlic and lemon juice in a mini food chopper or blender, and pulse until a uniform mixture is achieved. (It doesn’t have to become a smooth puree, unless you prefer a silky-smooth texture.)

step 1

Add in the raw tahini and sea salt, and blend again until well mixed. Adjust flavors to taste, if necessary.

Note: Raw tahini has a very thick texture that works well with this bean-free dip. Other types of tahini may be more oily, and therefore might create a more runny result.

blend

SONY DSC

Sun Dried Tomato Hummus (Raw, Nut-free)
Serves: 1.5 cups

A bean-free hummus that's easy to digest, and bursting with sun-dried tomato flavor!
  • 1 cup diced zucchini, peeled if you like
  • 7 sun dried tomato halves, softened in warm water and chopped
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • ¼ teaspoon sea salt
  • ⅓ cup raw tahini
  1. Combine the diced zucchini, chopped sun-dried tomatoes, garlic and lemon juice in a mini food chopper or blender, and pulse until a uniform mixture is achieved. (It doesn't have to become a smooth puree, unless you prefer a silky-smooth texture.)
  2. Add in the raw tahini and sea salt, then blend again until well mixed.
  3. Serve immediately, or allow to chill in the fridge until ready to serve. I think the flavor gets even better after the flavors meld together for a few hours!
Notes

Enjoy!

Reader Feedback: What’s your favorite type of veggie dip?

32 thoughts on “Sun Dried Tomato Hummus (Raw, Nut-free)

Tahini is responsible for the classic flavor of hummus, so using anything else will make it a different type of dip. I’m sure almond butter or sunflower seed butter could be used, but you’ll have to play around with the other flavors to compensate for their added sweetness.

1. Lisa

So excited about this, as beans have been upsetting my stomach more often than not.
    My favorite type of veggie dip is usually just mashed avocado with a little lemon juice and sea salt. Simple, but delicious.

2. Rosemary Erickson

Quick question re: food combos…I’ve seen ur list for proper combos…where would beans fit in? I love chick peas and black beans…any reason not to use them in hummus, if my stomach has no prob w/them?

Beans and legumes are naturally miscombined, since they contain both protein and starch, which is why they are typically associated with causing gas and bloating. I find that they can combine well enough in the starch category, but they could possibly make digestion slower and more difficult if combined with nuts or seeds, like tahini, which is why I avoid using them in hummus.

3. [email protected]

What a great idea! Never thought to try zucchini! Love it!

4. Rachel

Thank you Megan! I made this last night and LOVED it! I am not a huge zucchini fan but have a lot in the garden and this was a perfect way to use it. I am also crazy for your almond banana bread, my seven yo and I just made our second loaf and it is our favorite breakfast. Thank you for this awesome website and your great food!

5. Kate

I was diagnosed with diabetes last fall and was determined to manage this horrific disease without medication. Thanks to your hard work and wonderful recipes, you’ve made it so easy to teach an old dog new tricks! My A1C was 5.0 last week…thats a reading for a non-diabetic! Thank you for all the delicious options, its made a huge difference!

6. Charlotte

Love the idea of combining the zucchini humus with sun-dried tomatoes, will definitely give this a try! I think you could also combine roasted egg-plant as a base with the tomatoes, although I’m not sure the tahini would fit in there.

1. Abbi*tarian

Mmm, the roasted eggplant sounds like it would be a great addition to this recipe! Great idea, Charlotte :0)!

1. Nina

roasted eggplant is actually the base of another very delicious middle eastern dip called “baba ghanoush” (the ingredients are very similar to the ones in hummus, but the taste is totally different. but oh so good!). I found a really great recipe for “baba ghanoush” on the whole foods website! 🙂

7. Lisa

Just made this recipe – and it’s unreal!!! The fact that it adds a serving of vegetables as well makes me really happy 🙂 Megan – I have enjoyed every recipe of yours that I have tried …so I made sure to double this one on the first try. I would definitely not hesitate in bringing this dip to a party or bbq. Awesome recipe!

8. Kezia

Thank you this looks great – i am not eating beans at the moment and miss houmous a lot. I will direct my readers to about it too!
    Loving all your recipes and insights x

9. Abbi*tarian

This sounds so tasty! Thanks for the idea, Megan! I look forward to trying it! Hummus & guacamole (esp. w/ ) jalapeños!) are my favorite veggie dips :0).

10. Pingback: Sun Dried Tomato Hummus (chickpea free) | Healthified Living

11. Hannah

This is absolutely delicious!! I’ve been Paleo for 5 months now and have missed things like hummous. Thank you Megan!!

12. Claudia

We have been harvesting tons of Zucchini lately and we were running out of ideas on how to prepare them without getting tired of them. I just made this recipe and it was delicious! Everybody was satisfied. 🙂 I didn’t use lemon juice (because I didn’t have any on hand)and instead of soaking the tomato halves, I sub them for sun dried tomatoes. The batch came out smooth and just like regular hummus. Thanks for sharing Megan!

13. Pingback: I’m Obsessed…Sun Dried Tomato Hummus | Blissful Pursuit

14. Tobie

I made this tonight, and it was yummy. I wanted to tell you that I could not find raw tahini at the health food store so I used one that the only ingredient was ground sesame seeds. Anyway, it seemed more oily like your notes mentioned. However, my finished product was not very runny at all. Thanks for another great recipe!

15. Rita

WONDERFUL! I can barely cook so this was an easy, raw meal, to prepare. We used it in lettuce wraps with the cauliflower tabouli recipe, and also as a dip with celery. Tastes so good, you think it should be bad for you, LOL!

16. Melissa

Any recommendations on replacing lemon juice? I have to follow a yeast free diet for 6 wks and lemon juice is in so much yummy healthy food!

I’ve never heard of avoiding lemon juice on a yeast cleanse– it’s usually considered helpful in that regard! The only thing I’d replace it with is raw apple cider vinegar, but you’d have to use less of it because it has a stronger acid-taste than the lemon juice.