Chocolate and hazelnuts are a match made in heaven, if you ask me.
Particularly when they’re paired together in this cold and creamy shake!
What I love about this recipe is that it’s naturally sweetened with fiber-rich dates and gets its creamy texture from a combination of blended chia seeds and hazelnuts. Hazelnuts have a pretty fibrous texture themselves, but they blend and digest easier when soaked in water overnight, so you may want to plan ahead by keeping a small bowl of hazelnuts soaking in your fridge. Of course, if you have a high-speed blender, it will pretty much pulverize the hazelnuts easily, soaked or not. Paired with chia seeds, which are a good source of omega-3 fatty acids, this is a treat that will leave you feeling truly satisfied without a sugar crash.
Happy summer sipping!
Creamy Chocolate Hazelnut Shake (Vegan, Paleo)
NUT/SEED/DRIED FRUIT | Gluten-free, Soy-free, Egg-free, Dairy-free
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup whole hazelnuts (with or without skin), soaked overnight and drained
1 tablespoon chia seeds
1 tablespoon raw cacao powder, or cocoa powder
3 to 4 dates, pitted
pinch of salt
10 ice cubes
Combine the water, hazelnuts, chia seeds, cacao powder, dates, and salt in a high-speed blender, and blend until smooth. Adjust any ingredients to taste, then add in the ice and blend again to create a milkshake-like texture.
Pour into two glasses and serve immediately!
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup whole hazelnuts (with or without skin), soaked in water overnight and drained
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon raw cacao powder , or cocoa powder
- 3 to 4 dates , pitted
- pinch of salt
- 10 ice cubes
- Combine the water, hazelnuts, chia seeds, cacao powder, dates, and salt in a high-speed blender, and blend until smooth. Adjust any ingredients to taste, then add in the ice and blend again to create a milkshake-like texture.
- Pour into two glasses and serve immediately!
- The chia seeds are included in this recipe as a thickener, but feel free to leave them out if you don’t care for them. (A frozen banana is usually my go-to choice for thickening milkshakes, but I didn’t want the banana flavor in this particular recipe. )
- I would guess that any other nuts would work instead of hazelnuts, so feel free to experiment if you feel so inclined.
Reader Feedback: Are you a fan of chocolate and hazelnut flavored treats?