This Chocolate Hazelnut Smoothie tastes like you’re drinking a Nutella smoothie! Inspired by my homemade Nutella recipe, it’s naturally sweetened with fruit, and takes just minutes to prepare.
Ingredients You’ll Need
To make this hazelnut smoothie, you’ll need just 4 simple ingredients:
- Hazelnuts (or hazelnut butter)
- Medjool dates
- Cacao powder
- Vanilla extract
Add water and ice, and the smoothie will be ready in no time!
How to Make It
To make this Nutella-inspired smoothie, blend together the hazelnuts, dates, cacao powder, vanilla, and water. There’s no need to remove the papery skins from the hazelnuts, unless you want to.
The blender should take care of them!
Blend until you can longer see any large pieces of dates or hazelnuts. Stop and scrape down the blender, as needed.
Once it’s smooth, you can add in some ice and blend again, until it has a slushy texture.
It reminds me of a milkshake, only without the milk. Start with less ice, and add more to taste. The more ice you add, the more diluted the flavor will be.
Adding more ice also adds bulk to this smoothie, so it will determine how full your glass will be.
Feel free to double or triple this recipe to make more, as needed. This is filling enough to act as a meal replacement (add a handful of spinach if you want some extra nutrients!) or you can split it into two smaller glasses for a sweet treat.
It reminds me of a healthy milkshake!
Need to make a swap? Here are some ideas.
- Dates. You can replace the dates with a frozen banana plus 1 tablespoon of maple syrup, for a similar sweetness level. In this case, it will taste more like a banana-hazelnut smoothie, rather than a rich chocolate one.
- Hazelnuts. This is key for the hazelnut smoothie, but you can use 2 tablespoons of hazelnut butter to replace the 1/4 cup of hazelnuts. Or try using 2 to 3 tablespoons of homemade Nutella, if you have some on hand already.
- Water. You are welcome to use milk instead of water here, but it’s not necessary. Almond milk is simply made from almonds + water, so you’re basically making hazelnut milk in this smoothie recipe already.
More Healthy Smoothie Recipes
- Strawberry Smoothie
- Coffee Smoothie
- Oatmeal Smoothie
- Apple Smoothie
- Zucchini Smoothie
- Pumpkin Smoothie
- Beet Smoothie
- Pineapple Smoothie
Chocolate Hazelnut Smoothie
- 3/4 cup water (6 ounces)
- 1/4 cup whole hazelnuts (35 grams; with or without skin)
- 1 heaping tablespoon raw cacao powder (7 grams)
- 4 Medjool dates , pitted (73 grams)
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla exract (1 gram)
- 6 large ice cubes
- Combine the water, hazelnuts, cacao powder, dates, and vanilla in a high-speed blender, and blend until smooth. If you taste it now, keep in mind that the flavor will be diluted when you add the ice.
- Add in the ice cubes and blend again, until a slushy texture is achieved. If you use less ice, the flavor will be more concentrated, adn if you add more, the flavor will be diluted, so keep that in mind.
- Serve right away for the best taste and texture.
If you try this Chocolate Hazelnut Smoothie, please leave a comment below letting me know how you like it! And if you make any modifications, I’d love to hear about those, too.