This Strawberry Smoothie tastes like a healthy Strawberry Milkshake. It reminds me of the Strawberry Creme Frappucino from Starbucks, only this version is naturally sweetened with fruit.
Keep in mind, this recipe is intended to taste like a strawberry milkshake. And it really does! If you want a less-sweet drink, or would rather not use dates, be sure to check out my Strawberry Banana Smoothie recipe instead.
Ingredients You’ll Need
To make the best strawberry smoothie, you’ll need just 4 simple ingredients.
- Frozen strawberries
- Milk (I use almond milk)
- Medjool dates
- Vanilla extract
This combination reminds me so much of strawberry ice cream! But, if you don’t have dates on hand, you can replace them with 1 to 2 tablespoons of maple syrup, for a similar sweetness level.
How to Make It
How do you make a strawberry smoothie from scratch? Start with the items that are the most difficult to blend, saving the frozen fruit for last. I like to blend the dates, almond milk, and vanilla first.
Once you don’t see any large pieces of dates left, you can add in the frozen strawberries and blend again.
Finally, you’ll add in the ice, for an extra-slushy, milkshake texture. Depending on how large your ice cubes are, you may only need 2 or 3 to achieve a slushy texture.
Keep in mind that the more ice you add, the more diluted the flavor will be, so start with less. You can always add more as needed!
Serve the strawberry smoothie right away for the best flavor and texture. You can even make it fancy with a little coconut whipped cream on top!
More Healthy Smoothie Recipes
Need some more smoothie inspiration? Try these!
- Kale Smoothie
- Detox Smoothie
- Oatmeal Smoothie
- Coffee Smoothie (tastes like a Frappuccino!)
- Apple Smoothie
- Zucchini Smoothie
Best Strawberry Smoothie
- Combine the almond milk, dates, and vanilla in a high-speed blender, and blend until the dates are completely broken down. (If you don't have a powerful blender, you may want to soak the dates in the almond milk for 20 minutes to help them soften.)
- Add the frozen strawberries and blend again, until they are broken down. Then add the ice and blend once more, until a slushy texture is achieved. Serve right away.
Calories per milkshake: 286, Fat: 3g, Carbohydrates: 66g, Fiber: 8g, Protein: 3g
Hope you enjoy it!
- If you don’t have fresh dates on hand, 1-2 tablespoons of pure maple syrup will most likely work as a sweetener.
- If you don’t care for strawberries, feel free to try another variety of fruit instead!
Reader Feedback: What’s your favorite milkshake flavor?