Classic Green Smoothie

We all know that we should be eating more leafy greens. Not only are they are loaded with amino acids (the building blocks of protein), minerals, vitamins, fiber & chlorophyll, they also enhance digestion and give our bodies lots of enzymes to stay strong and healthy. But, it can get a bit monotonous eating salads day after day.

Which is why I love green smoothies!

I was first introduced to green smoothies when I read Victoria Boutenko’s book Green for Life. Her extensive research proved that adding one green smoothie to your day could result in numerous health benefits, including weight loss, increased immunity and reduced cravings. Plus, breaking down the greens using a blender makes their nutrients easier for our body to use!

Your green smoothie can be as simple or complex as you’d like it to be.

When I’m feeling like a simple snack, the following recipe does the trick.

Snack-Size Green Smoothie
serves 1

1 frozen banana
2 handfuls fresh spinach
1 cup water
Handful of ice cubes (3-4)

Note: If you’re new to green smoothies, I recommend using a small amount of spinach to start, then gradually increase the amount, as you grow accustomed to the flavor.

Blend for about one minute, to make sure you really break down the greens, then enjoy immediately!

If you want something a little more substantial, as a meal replacement, try the recipe below.

Classic Green Smoothie
serves 1

2-3 large handfuls of fresh spinach
1 cup almond milk, or water
1/2 cup frozen berries
1-2 bananas (frozen or fresh)
juice of 1/2 lemon
dash of cinnamon

Toss the ingredients into a blender, and process until nice and smooth!

Classic Green Smoothie
Serves: 1

A quick and delicious way to sneak leafy greens into your life.
  • 2 large handfuls of fresh spinach
  • 1 cup almond milk, or water
  • ½ cup frozen berries
  • 1 banana (frozen or fresh)
  • juice of ½ lemon
  • dash of cinnamon
  1. Toss all of the ingredients into a blender, and process until nice and smooth! Serve immediately.

Cheers to drinking your greens!

Hi, I’m Megan. A former fast food junkie turned certified nutritionist consultant, trying to make healthy living as easy as possible. I believe in eating delicious whole foods on a regular basis to help naturally support the body’s detox organsβ€” no juice fasting required. (Unless you want to!) If you make one of my healthy recipes, tag @detoxinista on Instagram or Facebook so I can see!

32 thoughts on “Classic Green Smoothie

1. Pingback: Almond Breeze Taste and Make a Difference Program « Healthy Hoggin'

2. Pingback: 3 weeks « Healthy Hoggin'

3. Pingback: It’s on like Donkey Kong! « The journey to get fit and fit in

4. sophie

I have the same question as Aubrey…what does protein powder combine as? Does it combine, like its name suggests, as a regular protein? Thanks πŸ™‚

It will combine as whatever it’s made of.

For example, hemp protein would combine as a nut/seed, whey protein would combine with flesh/dairy, and brown rice protein would combine as a starch. I rarely use protein powders, but if I do, I like to stick with hemp, since it will properly combine with bananas.

Hope that helps! πŸ˜€

Leafy greens, like spinach, are considered “neutral” for food combining purposes– so they combine perfectly well with bananas in a smoothie. πŸ˜€

5. Anne

I plan on trying this tomorrow…after thanksgiving I feel so gross! I ate too much pumpkin pie. Also, I made the grain-free pumpkin bars you posted and they were amazing! I’m ashamed to say I ate nearly the whole batch myself…

6. Pingback: Avocado and Bicycle Against the World « Food for Thought

7. Lori

Made this this morning and wanted to let you know that I loved it! What a great way to get my kids to eat more greens, too. They love funky colors!!! Thanks for ALL of your awesome recipes! I subscribe to a ton of blogs and yours ranks at the top! I ALWAYS end up pinning your recipes! (And I am one that DOES make what I pin. πŸ™‚

8. kristina

I have green smoothies every morning of different concoctions. Today I made one of the yummiest ones I’ve ever had! I used 1 banana, a large handful of baby spinach, a handful of frozen blueberries, a tablespoon or so of Chia seeds, and enough chocolate almond milk to make it a drinkable consistency. My mind feels so sharp when I start my day with a green smoothie!

9. Penni

Yummmmm. My version has coconut water instead of almond milk and no cinnamon or lemon. Thank you for your version. I will try it tomorrow morning…to mix things up a bit.

10. KMAT

On leafy greens: Would you mind sharing how you wash and prepare yours? I find so many little bugs and eggs on my organic leafy greens and it takes me such a long time to clean them all. Do you have any tried and true methods? Thank you!!

I use this salad spinner! Sometimes I’ll add a splash of white vinegar, to help really clean and preserve my greens in the fridge, but when I’m in a hurry, I just soak my greens in this spinner, then drain and spin dry! I see a TON of dirt and residue removed when I drain the greens, so I know it’s working well. πŸ™‚

11. olivia

i made this morning after a few failed attemps of making green smoothies. but this one turned out amazing! it was so creamy and deliciouse iwanted more! πŸ™‚ cant wait to try the one with frozen berrys. mmm…thanks for all your great recipes!

12. steph

Just wondering why you add the lemon? Making this now…excited to try it! I just found your site and want to thank you for all of this wonderful information!

Lemon helps hide the “green” flavor, and is extremely alkalizing in the body. Plus, it’s delicious!

13. Katie

Megan,
    The snack-size one fooled my kids!!! It is so good. I just added a scoop of chocolate protein powder. I had some fresh apples, so I threw one in after I cored it- peel and all. But I think the lemon juice really does eliminate the bitterness. This one is a keeper. πŸ˜‰

14. Jackie

Hello! I was wondering if you had ever tried making smoothies ahead of time. We are new to the smoothie world and I was wondering if it was possible to make a smoothie the night before and store it in the refrigerator without loosing the normal consistency and taste? Thanks for your blog and all ur great recipes! And congratulations on the baby announcement! πŸ™‚

Hi Jackie! I have made smoothies ahead of time, and left them in the fridge overnight. The texture isn’t exactly the same, but it’s good enough! And definitely worth it to have a quick and easy breakfast.

15. Heather

Thank you Megan for all of your recipes. I have been making the classic green smoothie for breakfast every morning for a week now….I LOVE it! It definitely gets me through the morning and holds my hunger off until lunch. I will definitely be trying out some of your other recipes as well. πŸ™‚

16. Nancy

I just spent hours reading your site and especially found your answers to specific questions helpful!
    I have lots of gas (& very dry skin) and the principals of food combining make so much sense to me, but it always seemed confusing to put into practice. Thanks to your readers, your answers, & your recipes I think I can adopt this as a way of eating.

As I start our, I have question…if acid foods should not be combined with carbs & starches, doesn’t lemon or vinegar salad dressing affect digestion with a meal of rice or other starch? Also, would tomato in an avocado/veggie sandwich affect digestion of the bread?

Thank you!!

You can get REALLY complicated with food combining if you want to– but I personally prefer not to do that! If things get too complicated, I lose interest, so I keep food combining principles very basic, so that I don’t have to over-think my meals. It should become second-nature, rather than being something you have to think about all the time. For example, I never think in terms of “acid” foods combining with starches. Lemons, limes and raw apple cider vinegar are all actually alkaline in the body, so they wouldn’t be considered an acid, anyway. You can see how I personally choose to combine my foods by using the chart on my website. It’s not necessarily how every expert would recommend combining foods, but it works for me and keeps things simple, which I think makes the concept more accessible to those just starting out.

Tomatoes and other raw vegetables on a veggie sandwich would help improve the digestion of the bread, since they’re all alkalizing in the body and would help add hydration to the meal. Try to think in terms of hydration when it comes to digestibility, since the more hydrating a meal, the faster and easier it will digest. (Hence, why fruits digest so quickly!)

17. Angie

I am addicted to green smoothies. If you freeze the bananas and fruit I think they are even better!! I’ve also used cocunut water and not from concentate apple juice. It’s so fun to experiment while eating/drinking healthy!!!

18. C

Hi, Megan! Recently discovered your blog and I am a huge fan! I changed my lifestyle about two years ago and have eliminated so many health issues and lost almost 50 lbs of fat. I’ve plateaued the past few months and had a recurrence of some health issues after having a daughter and pumping breastmilk for her for several months (reproductive-system-wise) and am honestly panicking. I plan to start doing green smoothies or juices for breakfast every morning but can’t decide which to go with- it just seems so overwhelming. What do you recommend? I know they each have their own benefits but if I am looking to lose fat, detox, and kick-start my adrenals which do you recommend? I’m under a lot of stress as I’ve gone back to school to become a nurse, so I can’t really eliminate that.

Thank you!

19. Nancy

I made a sort of mash-up of both recipes:
    I used 2 handfuls of spinach, 1 cup of unsweetened cashew milk, 1 frozen banana, 2 ice cubes, 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, and 1 handful of frozen strawberries.
    Thank you for all of your lovely insights always. This is a truly healthy website that I can count on for great flavor!

20. Andria

I am trying to get to your Vegan Cauliflower Pizza Crust recipe and this keeps popping up…can you check to see if something’s wrong? I don’t know if I’m the only one.

Thanks!