Mini Eggplant Pizzas

Pizza has to be one of my favorite meals EVER.

As a child, I loved making my own mini-pizzas at home, using English muffins as the crust, adding my favorite toppings, then broiling it in the oven until the cheese was bubbly.

I was under the impression that pizza was a perfectly healthy meal, because that’s what we were taught in school–> according to the old food pyramid, I remember my 2nd grade teacher telling us that pepperoni pizza was a well-rounded meal, covering a serving of bread, vegetables (from the tomato sauce), meat and dairy. And apparently, pizza still counts as a vegetable in our school systems.

Too bad our school system doesn’t serve the type of pizza I enjoyed tonight, which was reminiscent of my childhood English muffin pizzas, but with a much heftier nutritional punch!

Because it’s made with actual veggies. SONY DSC

Thanks to Rande, I tried using eggplant slices as the pizza crust–> which are amazingly “bread-like” when roasted.

I’ve always been a little intimidated of eggplant. The few times I’ve tried preparing it at home, it’s turned out bitter or slimy. But this time, it was a success!

I think the trick is slicing 1/2-inch rounds, then roasting them on parchment paper. (no need for oil!)SONY DSC

I roasted the slices for 20 minutes at 350F, but started watching them after 15 minutes, because some slices were smaller than others.

After the initial roasting, your eggplant “pizza crusts” are ready for toppings!SONY DSC

I added my favorite marinara sauce, then popped them back in the oven for another 5 minutes to heat it up and remove a bit of the moisture.

Then it’s time for cheese, or your pizza toppings of choice. SONY DSC

I used slices of raw goat cheddar, then placed my mini-pizzas under the broiler for 2-3 minutes, until the cheese was hot and bubbly.

Serve immediately!

I love how simple these pizzas were to prepare (even easier than making the cauliflower pizza crust), and how they tasted totally decadent, even with a veggie base!

Reader Feedback: Did you learn about the food pyramid like I did? Was pizza considered a “healthy” food to you growing up?

Comments

1. says

Those look very, very delicious. I remember when I thought there were only four food groups: Veggie/Fruit, Dairy, Grain, Meat. I just looked it up – those were taught to kids until 1992 when the food pyramid started! Crazy how times have changed.

2. KellyBelly says

Hi
    Even with your good results and review I’m a little scared to try this. My eggplant experiences have not been good.

On another note, sometime can you post about water? Sounds boring however there is still conflicting info about how much we need. I don’t think any of the info takes into account how clean of diet you eat. When I eat a big green salad for lunch I don’t ususally drink with the meal. Also have heard that drinking with a meal can cut down on your enzymes. thanks for any input you have on the topic.

• Mary Beth says

As far as bad eggplant experiences go, did you know the water they contain is very bitter and if you remove it they taste even more delicious?! I learned this on my favorite Italian cooking show – Lydia’s Italy. Just cut the eggplant however you want and put them in a bowl with a small plate and something heavy on top of the plate like canned goods and let it sit for half an hour. All the bitter water will be drained which improves the taste and the texture! I tried it with this recipe last night and it was amazing!

3. sam says

Love healthy pizza thanks for idea since I am gluten free. I wanted to put raw goat cheese to the oven but does not heat kill the enzyme in raw cheese?

• says

Yes, the heat would probably damage the enzymes in the raw cheese.

If you want to avoid that, you could slice the cheese very thin, and add them on top of the hot marinara at the very end– so it would get warm, but without the direct heat from the broiler.

4. Ritchie says

I made these after Rande’s post, and I absolutely love them! I’m still partial to your cauliflower crust, which I have successfully made for multiple people now, but this is less time consuming and foolproof, to boot 😀

5. Caithlin says

If, when you slice your eggplant, you scour it with a knife on one side,& have the oven very hot, more like 260c, you can set the timer for 10 min and they will be perfect!
    Also top with pesto or salsa for a summer treat…. Delicious

6. Brandi says

I tried these tonight and they were not palatable. My boyfriend and I had to throw them away. I’m not sure what I did wrong, but they were super tough and runny. Maybe I just got a bad eggplant?

7. Leila says

These were yummy! The skins however weren’t very chewable (is that a word?) so I didn’t eat those. Will definitely make them again.

8. Susan H says

I see you use goat cheese in a lot of your recipes – is there a reason for goat cheese over regular cheese?

9. Flereous says

I grew up on using bagels as the crust. I just cant see eggplant tasting like crust… I dont like my crust crunchy. My school pizza my whole life was soft, and kind of gooey. I always hated pepperoni and I hated vegetables. So I ate cheese pizza all the time. Of course, my school days were less than 10 years ago, compared to all of the people on here hehe.

10. Beckie says

This will definitely be my lunch tomorrow. I just joined NaturalSlim eating no carbs for now so this is perfect. I am going to try with olive oil under the cheese since i do not like sauce too much.

11. Italian daughter says

This looks so easy and tasty. My family loves pizza, my grandma made the best fried eggplant and I make eggplant lasagna for special occasions. I was intimidated by eggplant and then one day just jumped in and your right you have to watch it carefully. I do salt my eggplant, cut it thinly, and let it sit for a few hrs and pat dry with paper towels to take as much moisture out, then roast. I have been fighting breast cancer for the last 10 months and I need to modify my cooking. Thank you for great recipes without giving up flavor.

12. Adele says

Eggplant has become one of my favorite veggies. Try putting sliced eggplant in a strainer and sprinkle with your preferred salt. Let sit and drain for about an hour. Before roasting or sauteing, pat the eggplant with a paper or cloth towel to dry. This is a classic technique for eggplant parmesan that I have used for years.

Trackbacks