Peanut Butter Banana Ice Cream (Dairy-free & Vegan)

We can’t seem to get enough of peanut-butter-based desserts in our house.

We’ve had a steady stash of flourless peanut butter cookies in our freezer for the last few months, but now that it’s getting warmer outside, a lighter treat seems more appropriate.

Like this ice cream.

With only two ingredients, it’s almost too good to be true. Naturally sweetened and dairy-free, this ice cream can be made ahead of time and stored in the freezer for a quick, frozen treat!

Peanut Butter Banana Ice Cream (Dairy-free & Vegan)
serves 2

2 frozen bananas
2 Tablespoons organic natural peanut butter

water, if needed to facilitate blending

Break the frozen bananas into chunks and toss them into a mini food processor, along with the peanut butter. (I also like to add a pinch of Himalayan sea salt if using unsalted peanut butter.)

The result should be a creamy, uniform ice cream!

It tastes so creamy and decadent, no one will believe how simple it is.

Note: As always, feel free to use any nut butter you’d like instead of peanut butter. Almond, cashew and pecan butter would all be delicious options!

Peanut Butter Banana Ice Cream (Dairy-free)
Serves: 2

With only two ingredients, it's almost too good to be true. Naturally sweetened and dairy-free, this ice cream can be made ahead of time and stored in the freezer for a quick, frozen treat!
  • 2 frozen bananas
  • 2 Tablespoons organic natural peanut butter
  • water, if needed to facilitate blending
  1. Break the frozen bananas into chunks and toss them into a mini food processor, along with the peanut butter. (I like to add a pinch of Himalayan sea salt if using unsalted peanut butter, too.)
  2. Blend until the bananas break down into a soft-serve consistency, adding a tablespoon or two of water to help facilitate blending, if necessary. The result should be a creamy, uniform ice cream!
  3. Serve immediately for a soft-serve style dessert, or transfer to a sealed container and store in the freezer for a for a firmer, scoop-able ice cream.
Notes
As always, feel free to use any nut butter you'd like instead of peanut butter. Almond, cashew and pecan butter would all be delicious options! The nut butter makes for a truly creamy, decadent-tasting ice cream that everyone is sure to enjoy!

Hope you enjoy it!

Reader Feedback: Have you ever tried making banana soft serve? What’s your favorite ice cream flavor?

Comments

• Huvs says

My food processor or blender are not strong enough to blend a completely frozen banana. Would this recipe work if I did everything @ room temp. and then froze the mixture?

• Megan says

I have no idea how the room temp version would turn out– please let us know if you try it! Also, you might be surprised at how most appliances can handle making banana ice cream. The mini food chopper I use is 10 years old and only cost $15, so it’s definitely not anything powerful! The key is breaking the banana into chunks and using water to help break it down.

• Megan says

As you can see on my food combining chart, bananas are an exception to the fruit rule, and can be properly combined with nuts, seeds and dried fruit.

1. Robyn says

Sounds good,,,but I like a little crunch factor sooo I would probably add a (little) cookie in layers…:)

2. Evelyn says

Oh. My. Goodness.

I literally JUST made this–I used 1 1/2 frozen bananas (because that’s all I had left; I used 1/2 of a banana earlier for a shake) and 2 Tbsp of Trader Joe’s salted crunchy natural peanut butter.

I did have to gradually add water to get my bullet to start blending. Then it worked. Then I tasted it. Then I died a little bit–in a good way!

Thanks for sharing :)

3. Alex H says

=) I love this recipe. I’ve come to find that just a pinch of sea salt and a dash of vanilla make this all the more outrageous, too. And if you’re feeling chocolaty, a heaping teaspoon of cocoa powder per banana will satisfy any choco-craze.

• Jennifer says

Made the choco-version Alex suggested and it was so good I had a hard time not licking the blades from the food processor. I don’t think I’ll ever need “real” ice cream again.

4. Anna says

I made these into popsicles today! The creaminess reminds me of fudgesicles.

I do recommend peeling the bananas before freezing them though because I had some trouble removing all of the peel.

5. Carrie says

Can’t wait to try this! Where do the nut butters fit in on the food combining? Is it ok to combine nut butters with fruit, or vegetables? (Does it count as “dried nuts / fruit” catagory?

6. jenpowers says

I love this!! SOoo yummy, Its really good with cacao powder too. I was so excited when I realized that bannanas combine with nuts! They are such a good combo.

7. Sara says

We tried this tonight, but instead of peanut butter, we used chocolate PB2 (basically powdered peanut butter with cocao) and a splash of almond milk. WONDERFUL! Thank you!

8. Karine says

Miam! Will definitely tried this one this WE…. and not ashamed to say I will add some dark chocolate sauce on it… to satisfy my dark chocolate addiction!!! Thank you for the wonderful and easy receipe!!

9. Cheryl says

Ok, now you’re just blowing my mind with this. Just made this (I bought the chopper you recommended). This is truly incredible! One would never guess it’s not real ice cream made with milk. I am so excited about this I could just do back flips! lol

• says

I’m so glad you enjoyed it, Cheryl! I can’t believe how adding the nut butter makes such a difference to the texture– I really don’t need “real” ice cream anymore! I’m hoping to fool my nieces with it soon. :)

• Rita says

Why fool your neices except at first. Which would be funny for awhile. Please just let them know the Truth; then they would know how to make it with their Moms! ❤️☀️

10. Jenn says

So when I tell you that I NEVER ever leave comments on things, I’m dead serious. But when I made this ice cream for my husband I was like, OMG this is insanely good. Let’s just say, I “intended” on making it for him but I ate it before he came home from work. OOPS! So i just never told him I made any 😉 lol

11. Julie says

Hi Megan! Just discovered your site and can’t wait to try some of your recipes! Found this one elsewhere this summer and ate more bananas than I dare to count. For breakfast, lunch AND dinner! Sooooo delicious straight up, with a generous tablespoon of cocoa powder, or with a handful of shredded coconut chucked in. Try it with a dribble of vanilla extract too, if you fancy.

12. Crissie says

Megan- you would love the champion juicer- have you ever had a frozen banana dessert from one? We call them “banana whips” and they are exactly like soft serve ice cream when they come out of juicer- no one can believe it when they try it that the only ingredient is frozen bananas. They are great with other frozen fruit and toppings as well. You should check it out! :)

• clau says

Crissie, I have a champion.. and I loveee it! We make banana “ice cream” all the time… Since im not crazy about bananas we make strawberry-banana ice cream in the champion juicer. Will try to add some peanut butter into this.

13. Lori says

I made this last night & it was delicious! I used a little unsweetened almond milk instead of water to help break up the bananas. My husband loved it!

14. Natasha says

I have made this twice now, I love it! Soo filling too, Just defrosted the banans a bit then added a splash of almond milk to help it break down, so cheap and quick to make, its definatley going to be staying on my foodie menue for life!

15. kate says

This is insanely good!! I’ve only discovered you recently (from Sarah Wilson’s blog) but I am loving everything I’ve seen/ tried so far 😀 thanks!!

16. Megan says

Oh my gosh!! I don’t normally eat raw-food like, but would love to when I start living on my own and buying my own groceries. I made this with a frozen banana and cheap natural peanut butter, and a few tablespoons of skim milk, and cocoa powder! Like, my night is made. Thanks so much for this (:

17. Audi Seuss says

Hai Megan !

Thank you very much for sharing ! I’ve only became a foodie just 2 weeks ago ! Now I’m starting to see that these homemade things are really entertaining,fun, and exciting !!!! – new hobby to add to my other hobbies (ska8boarding, video games, etc).

One question though – what other fruit aside from banana can simulate softserve ice cream ? I can probably use just 1/2 banana because its got too much sugar, but perhaps I can use 1/2 banana + gelatin ? let me know if you discovered a lower sugar / carb fruit option. Thanks :)

• says

I don’t usually worry about the sugar naturally found in fruit, but if you own a Vitamix, you maybe able to add some crushed ice to the banana mixture along with almond milk and liquid stevia. The powerful Vitamix can turn the ice into an ice-cream-like texture, but I wouldn’t try it with a normal blender.

18. Aedin says

Hi Megan,

My name is Aedin and I love your website! I made this yesterday for my brother and he said he loved it (and so did i). And i just wanted to let you know Keep Up The Great Work! :) 😛

19. stella says

l made this with my cashiousbutter and l couldn’t stop eating. so deli. thnx for all the inspiration you give !!!

20. Shelby says

I altered the recipe a bit, using 2 frozen bananas, 2 tablespoons of Justin’s chocolate almond butter, a teaspoon of honey and just a splash of soy milk to get it going. It’s incredible!!! I’ll be keeping a few frozen bananas on hand from now on!!

21. says

I just tried this tonight with my clean eating! It was amazing!

I used 3 bananas, 2 tablespoons of sunflower butter, and lots of cinnamon!

To say the least, I ate half of it (:

Thank you for this wonderful recipe!

22. BrittanyCole Alcanter says

i was thinking about making this with the almond butter and salt, but also adding just a drop of nutella and almond milk instead of water, to give it a little more flavor and so that i can have a healthy dessert with a chocolate factor.

• Noodle-berry says

Hey Brittany
      I’d use cocoa powder instead of nutella, that way it would be super delish but healthier!

23. says

I LOVE banana ice cream. I whip some up regularly, and my husband finds it better than the real thing (hurray!).

My favorite flavors are chocolate (bananas + cocoa + touch of maple syrup and almond milk) and raspberry (bananas + frozen raspberries + almond milk).

I never tried it with nut butter, I love the idea!

Next flavour I’m dying to try is something like coconut-chaï. There is no limit!

24. Kristy says

Can I use a regular food processor for this or does it work best with the mini chopper that you suggested?

25. Sharyn says

I made this for dessert & shaved some chocolate bark on top of it. It was so delicious. Thank you so much for creating this website it’s wonderful :-)

26. Zsazsa says

I was skeptical at first because I thought the splashes of water would diminish the flavor. But I decided to give it a try… DELISH! I did add a splash of vanilla extract since I had it, but I’m SO amazed at how something so simple was so flavorful and SO CREAMY! I made vegan banana PB ice-cream before and I was disappointed, but I didn’t even have to pull out my ice-cream maker for this! Thanks so much!!!

27. Kristina says

Stumbled upon this recipe about a month ago and I can’t stop making it! Pistachio ice cream used to be my favorite and I still long for it even years after giving up dairy. So last night I made this with homemade pistachio butter and a tiny bit of almond extract, and folded in whole pistachios at the end. Heavenly! Even better than the dairy version I remember. Thanks for the inspiration!

28. sugarfoot says

This sounds great! I make strawberry-banana all the time, but started subbing almond milk instead of dairy. I am reading Natalia’s book, and am still having a little trouble with the food combining because of some inconsistencies like this, and would love if you can clarify. There is a recipe for fruit with cashew cream on it – so what is that combo? She never mentions beans or legumes or peanuts for that matter, but I assume they would be considered starch and not a nut/seed. I searched, and found her saying peanuts should be “avoided at all costs”($%^!?) but no explanation. Just as I was craving a thai salad with peanut dressing, and thinking how virtuously raw and wonderful it would be. Im not sure I can trust a woman who wont let me have peanuts.

29. Ounse says

Hello!!!!!
    I am so exited about this ice cream! But what about food combining? Shouldn’t fruits be eaten on their own? :(

• Megan says

Bananas are an exception to the rule, because they digest slower than most fresh fruits. They are the only fresh fruit that can be combined with nuts, seeds and dried fruits.

30. Dana says

I am a baker, a chocolate enthusiast, and a HUGE skeptic when it comes to “healthy frozen treats!” This recipe is just AWESOME. We adults love it, my kids love it, my ice cream addict father was impressed. I’m telling everyone I know. I also added a teaspoon of vanilla extract and a teaspoon of honey (depending on the ripeness of the banana). Bravo!

31. Wendy says

Love the peanut butter banana ‘ice cream.’ I added a dash of vanilla and salt. Simply awesome. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge and recipes.

32. Sabrina says

I make this same thing every morning for breakfast,, but instead of water I add a cup of coconut or hemp milk and a table spoon of cocoa powder along t=with the peanut butter,, amazing!!! You can not use a high powered blender for this recipe it make its too liquified. a cheap blender works best for this.

33. Daniela says

Megan-

This is Delicious! Thanks so much for this recipe. I don’t eat dairy and this ice cream has saved me from an “ice cream-less” life. Yuuhhuu

Love love love your recipes!

Daniela

34. VanillaMacaroon says

Made this a few days ago, it’s awesome!! Such a great post-workout snack for me, I love it!! Thanks Megan :)

35. Laurie says

Just made this, this afternoon for the hubby and myself and it was an absolute hit. I added about 2 tbsp. of chopped pecans (we got decadent) and it was sooo good.

I made this about a month ago, just putting 1tbsp of peanut butter to try to reduce the calories a little instead of the 2 tbsp. that the recipe calls for and it really is so much better with the 2 tbsp.

Awesome treat, thank you for sharing it.

36. Lauren says

The fitness program I’m apart of doesn’t allow bananas on the diet making many easy ice cream/smoothie recipes a no-go. Any good substitution ideas? I’ve seen avocado used in your shakes. I’m not crazy about avocado but maybe will give it a try…

37. Noodle-berry says

Megan, I just made myself this to make up for my disastrous attempt attempt of your mac&cheese (I used almonds as I had no cashews; big mistake….); and I must say (again) YOU ROCK!!!!!!!!!
    Thankyou for another amazing recipe, I lurv your blog :)

38. Silvana says

Thanks for the recipe. I added cocoa to mine and it was delishhhhhhhhhh. So exquisite!!! Do you know hoy many calories per serving it has?

39. Amy says

Hi Megan,

I thought I read that peanut butter is not paleo because it’s not an actual nut but rather a legume? Is that true or no?

Thanks!

Amy

40. Teresa says

Megan,

The other fruits must be combined with protein, right?
    I usually eat them with some low fat cheese, or an yogurt. But I thought nuts or seeds were good to eat with fruit.
    What do you think about eating banana peanut butter ice cream with a tablesponn of homemade granola?

41. Amy says

I was wondering, could you use raw almond butter if you have to? This recipe sounds wonderful to use on my challenge. We have to use raw almond butter as part of our meals. We can also have bananas at the same meal. I thought this might be some variety for those who are doing the challenge.
    Thanks

42. Kelly says

This is a phenomenal, simple recipe! However, the banana is a little bit over powering, and depending on what type of peanut butter you’re using, I’d consider doubling it. At least, I much prefer the peanut butter to be the more prominent taste. It is delicious either way, though!

43. says

Is it okay then to combine banana with peanut butter if peanut butter is not a nut but a legume?
    Sorry. I just got confused after reading all of the comments! Thanks for your recipes!

• Megan says

That’s definitely a gray area with food combining! I consider anything with peanut butter to be a “special treat” so as long as you’re not eating it on a daily basis, I think most people can get away with combining it with bananas without much issue.

44. Jennifer says

Megan I absolutely love your site, I refer to it for so many things, you really are inspirational- thank you!!! In regards to food combining, I noticed you said bananas are the only fruit that can be combined, but is it okay to have banana ice cream at night for dessert after dinner considering fruit is best eaten in the morning or on an empty stomach?

• Megan says

I would only have banana ice cream for dessert if it properly combined with my dinner. It digests well after a raw meal, like a salad topped with avocado OR a salad smothered in a tahini dressing. (For the avocado dinner, you’d have to omit any nut butter from the banana ice cream). Hope that helps!

45. Maja says

Tried this!
    I cut the bananas in small pieces before putting them into the freezer. However, the mixture with peanut butter still nedeed some liquid, so I added some milk!
    Topped it with chupped dark Rittersport, mmh

46. Christine says

I am allergic to banana’s but, my mouth is watering to all the sweet and frozen recipes. I am very, very, very new to all of this and am wondering if there anything I am able to substitute for the banana’s. I am also wondering if someone would explain the flour thing to me. I don’t understand all the different flours and why/how my body benefits from them. Thank you all so much I am learning mega amounts from Megan and all the comments and posts. Smiles, Christine

47. Allison says

Can I use coconut milk or avocados in place of the bananas? I’m looking for a dessert treat, but can’t have bananas. Thanks!!

48. Anthony says

Just remember nut butters are very, very calorie dense. I like them because they have almost no glycemic load. One version I make is done by blending 4 Ozs of cashew butter, shaking in a dash of stevia leaf extract and a couple tablespoons of cocoa nibs (unsweetened). Add salt. I’ve experimented using non fat yogurt in the mix -the result is pretty amazing after an our or two in the freezer! Also coated the top with a thin Lear of puréed pear. It firms up to a glassed ice and the butter below has a nice cream like texture. It has a very low glycemic load (nearly zero). So for those of us who are diabetic but keep blood sugars at healthy normal levels it’s a great alternative desert that is so naturally sweet that guests can’t believe its healthy. But, as far as weight loss goes it’s still a very high calorie treat (ounce per ounce far more calories than ice cream) but it won’t spike insulin. If you’re a healthy diabetic at a good body weight it’s OK. If you’re into being fit through blood sugar control it also works. But two ounces is going to cost you 300+ calories so work it into your plans if weight loss is still a goal.

Trackbacks

1. […] Dinner: 2 cups spinach salad with 4 oz grilled chicken breast, 1/2 cup baby carrots, 1/2 a small sliced avocado, 1/2 a sliced red pepper, 1/4 cup diced red onion. Dressing: plain balsamic vinegar & oregeno to taste (I don’t use any oil, but you can add 1 tsp olive oil to the balsamic); 1/2 cup cooked green peas; 1 serving peanut butter & banana ice cream […]