Peanut Butter Banana Ice Cream (Dairy-free & Vegan)

We can’t seem to get enough of peanut-butter-based desserts in our house.

We’ve had a steady stash of flourless peanut butter cookies in our freezer for the last few months, but now that it’s getting warmer outside, a lighter treat seems more appropriate.

Like this ice cream.

With only two ingredients, it’s almost too good to be true. Naturally sweetened and dairy-free, this ice cream can be made ahead of time and stored in the freezer for a quick, frozen treat!

Peanut Butter Banana Ice Cream (Dairy-free & Vegan)
serves 2

2 frozen bananas
2 Tablespoons organic natural peanut butter

water, if needed to facilitate blending

Break the frozen bananas into chunks and toss them into a mini food processor, along with the peanut butter. (I also like to add a pinch of Himalayan sea salt if using unsalted peanut butter.)

The result should be a creamy, uniform ice cream!

It tastes so creamy and decadent, no one will believe how simple it is.

Note: As always, feel free to use any nut butter you’d like instead of peanut butter. Almond, cashew and pecan butter would all be delicious options!

Peanut Butter Banana Ice Cream (Dairy-free)
Serves: 2

With only two ingredients, it's almost too good to be true. Naturally sweetened and dairy-free, this ice cream can be made ahead of time and stored in the freezer for a quick, frozen treat!
  • 2 frozen bananas
  • 2 Tablespoons organic natural peanut butter
  • water, if needed to facilitate blending
  1. Break the frozen bananas into chunks and toss them into a mini food processor, along with the peanut butter. (I like to add a pinch of Himalayan sea salt if using unsalted peanut butter, too.)
  2. Blend until the bananas break down into a soft-serve consistency, adding a tablespoon or two of water to help facilitate blending, if necessary. The result should be a creamy, uniform ice cream!
  3. Serve immediately for a soft-serve style dessert, or transfer to a sealed container and store in the freezer for a for a firmer, scoop-able ice cream.
Notes
As always, feel free to use any nut butter you'd like instead of peanut butter. Almond, cashew and pecan butter would all be delicious options! The nut butter makes for a truly creamy, decadent-tasting ice cream that everyone is sure to enjoy!

Hope you enjoy it!

Reader Feedback: Have you ever tried making banana soft serve? What’s your favorite ice cream flavor?

132 thoughts on “Peanut Butter Banana Ice Cream (Dairy-free & Vegan)

1. Amy

Hi Megan,

I thought I read that peanut butter is not paleo because it’s not an actual nut but rather a legume? Is that true or no?

Thanks!

Amy

2. Pingback: The Most Powerful ‘Drug’ of All @ Catherine Doucette BPR, MEd, Training ConsultantCatherine Doucette BPR, MEd, Training Consultant

3. Teresa

Megan,

The other fruits must be combined with protein, right?
    I usually eat them with some low fat cheese, or an yogurt. But I thought nuts or seeds were good to eat with fruit.
    What do you think about eating banana peanut butter ice cream with a tablesponn of homemade granola?

4. Amy

I was wondering, could you use raw almond butter if you have to? This recipe sounds wonderful to use on my challenge. We have to use raw almond butter as part of our meals. We can also have bananas at the same meal. I thought this might be some variety for those who are doing the challenge.
    Thanks

5. Kelly

This is a phenomenal, simple recipe! However, the banana is a little bit over powering, and depending on what type of peanut butter you’re using, I’d consider doubling it. At least, I much prefer the peanut butter to be the more prominent taste. It is delicious either way, though!

6. Pingback: Bocadito heladero: banana y maní | Ecuatoriana en construcción

7. anna

Is it okay then to combine banana with peanut butter if peanut butter is not a nut but a legume?
    Sorry. I just got confused after reading all of the comments! Thanks for your recipes!

That’s definitely a gray area with food combining! I consider anything with peanut butter to be a “special treat” so as long as you’re not eating it on a daily basis, I think most people can get away with combining it with bananas without much issue.

8. Jennifer

Megan I absolutely love your site, I refer to it for so many things, you really are inspirational- thank you!!! In regards to food combining, I noticed you said bananas are the only fruit that can be combined, but is it okay to have banana ice cream at night for dessert after dinner considering fruit is best eaten in the morning or on an empty stomach?

I would only have banana ice cream for dessert if it properly combined with my dinner. It digests well after a raw meal, like a salad topped with avocado OR a salad smothered in a tahini dressing. (For the avocado dinner, you’d have to omit any nut butter from the banana ice cream). Hope that helps!

9. Pingback: Banana “Ice-Cream” | savory, sweet & salicylate free

10. Maja

Tried this!
    I cut the bananas in small pieces before putting them into the freezer. However, the mixture with peanut butter still nedeed some liquid, so I added some milk!
    Topped it with chupped dark Rittersport, mmh

11. Christine

I am allergic to banana’s but, my mouth is watering to all the sweet and frozen recipes. I am very, very, very new to all of this and am wondering if there anything I am able to substitute for the banana’s. I am also wondering if someone would explain the flour thing to me. I don’t understand all the different flours and why/how my body benefits from them. Thank you all so much I am learning mega amounts from Megan and all the comments and posts. Smiles, Christine

12. Allison

Can I use coconut milk or avocados in place of the bananas? I’m looking for a dessert treat, but can’t have bananas. Thanks!!

13. Anthony

Just remember nut butters are very, very calorie dense. I like them because they have almost no glycemic load. One version I make is done by blending 4 Ozs of cashew butter, shaking in a dash of stevia leaf extract and a couple tablespoons of cocoa nibs (unsweetened). Add salt. I’ve experimented using non fat yogurt in the mix -the result is pretty amazing after an our or two in the freezer! Also coated the top with a thin Lear of puréed pear. It firms up to a glassed ice and the butter below has a nice cream like texture. It has a very low glycemic load (nearly zero). So for those of us who are diabetic but keep blood sugars at healthy normal levels it’s a great alternative desert that is so naturally sweet that guests can’t believe its healthy. But, as far as weight loss goes it’s still a very high calorie treat (ounce per ounce far more calories than ice cream) but it won’t spike insulin. If you’re a healthy diabetic at a good body weight it’s OK. If you’re into being fit through blood sugar control it also works. But two ounces is going to cost you 300+ calories so work it into your plans if weight loss is still a goal.

14. Pingback: How To Make Ice Cream With Just Bananas And Peanut Butter - HappyForever168

15. Pingback: The Most Powerful ‘Drug’ of All | Catherine Doucette

16. Jeanne

Do you have a specific nut butter brand that you like? or do you always do your own homemade nut butters for your recipes?

I love Artisana, Living Tree Community, and Maranatha brands, but for peanut butter I just make sure to buy an organic brand with no added sugar.

17. Joe

HI! This is super delicious! We are obsessed! But we have one question: Is there something you can add to this (paleo/vegan/non-dairy, or not!) that helps it remain scoopable after it goes in the freezer. I made a large amount of this and it was hard as a rock after just one night in the freezer. Any insights would be super helpful!

1. Gina

It gets hard as a rock, but I just take it out and leave on the counter until it becomes scoopable. Yum!