Pumpkin Spice Muffins (Grain-free)

I love “Pumpkin Spice” anything.

But I’m especially in love with these muffins.

Loaded with with the rich flavors of Fall, these grain-free muffins are a delicious blend of sweet and spicy. I have to admit, I’m still baffled at how a muffin made with almond butter can bake up so light and fluffy, but I won’t question it. The texture is perfect!

Personally, I’m a fan of traditional “Pumpkin Spice” baked goods, but I seem to be in the minority, considering the growing popularity of the “Pumpkin Chocolate Chip” combo. Luckily, it’s easy to strike a compromise when baking muffins. For this particular batch, half of the muffins got a sprinkling of dark chocolate chunks, and the other half were left to shine on their own. Either way, they’re sure to please!

Pumpkin Spice Muffins (Grain-free)
makes 12 muffins

Adapted from this recipe

1 cup almond butter (store-bought or homemade)
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
2 whole eggs
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 tablespoon Pumpkin Pie Spice*
1/3 cup maple syrup (or honey, if you prefer)

Optional: 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips

*Note: You can make your own Pumpkin Pie Spice by using 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger, and 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg instead.

Preheat your oven to 350F, and line a standard muffin pan with paper cups. In a medium bowl, combine all of the ingredients and mix until a smooth batter is formed, folding in the chocolate chips last, if desired.

Using a 1/4 cup, distribute the batter evenly among the 12 baking cups. Bake for 15-20 minutes at 350F, until the centers are firm and starting to crack.

For best shelf life, store in the fridge for up to a week. (These freeze well, too!)

Pumpkin Spice Muffins (Grain-free)
Cook time:
Serves: 12

A sweet and spicy muffin, loaded with the flavors of Fall!
  • 1 cup almond butter (store-bought or homemade)
  • ½ cup pumpkin puree
  • 2 whole eggs
  • ½ teaspoon baking soda
  • ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
  • 1 tablespoon Pumpkin Pie Spice*
  • ⅓ cup maple syrup (or honey, if you prefer)
  • Optional: ⅓ cup dark chocolate chips
  1. Preheat your oven to 350F, and line a standard muffin pan with paper cups.
  2. In a medium bowl, combine all of the ingredients and mix until a smooth batter is formed, folding in the chocolate chips last, if desired.
  3. Using a ¼ cup, distribute the batter evenly among the 12 baking cups.
  4. Bake for 15-20 minutes at 350F, until the centers are firm and starting to crack.
  5. Allow to cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
  6. For best shelf life, store in a sealed container in the fridge for up to a week. (These freeze well, too!)
Notes
*Note: You can make your own Pumpkin Pie Spice by using 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, ½ teaspoon ground ginger, and ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg instead.

Enjoy!

Reader Feedback: Are you a “Pumpkin Spice” fan? Do you like chocolate added to your pumpkin-flavored baked goods?

Comments

1. says

i LOVE pumpkin spice, sometimes i add cocoa powder to pumpkin puree with a little raw maple syrup for a little treat! i’m so surprised that nut butter makes such a nice muffin! i thought they would be super flat!

2. says

Wow those muffins look awesome for using almond butter! And I’m the same I love pumpkin spice anything! I am officially addicted. Just a quick question, what do you think of baking the almond flour/almond butter because of the oxidation and the rancidity of the almonds? And that is apparently has free radicals and is unstable when baking with. I get so confused with all that ha ha.

• says

Hi Lisa! I’ve wondered the same thing myself, and after doing some searching, I’m still at a loss. Some experts seem to think heating almonds has no impact on their health benefits, while others swear it will make the Omega-3 acids go rancid– and therefore should be avoided. So, who knows for sure! Personally, I’m of the thought that these almond-based goodies should be a special treat, rather than an every day indulgence, just to be on the safe side.

• says

Yes, I’m sure stevia will work, too. You’ll just have to compensate by adding some extra moisture (maybe almond milk or extra pumpkin puree would work?) in place of the maple syrup. Please let us know if you have any success!

3. Jen says

I am so glad you like pumpkin spice everything because I do TOO! And I am in love with your recipes!!!! Question: If I want to replace the honey for Liquid Stevia would it work and how many drops would you recommend? Thanks for all your delicious recipes!

4. Adeline says

Hi, love the site !
    my question is about the syrup / honey used in the pumpkin muffins…I’m not using honey or real syrup at this point, is there something else I could use …maybe DaVinci sugargree syrup or the likes or maybe alittle bit of maple extract ??
    I would really like to try these.
    Thanks

5. Debbie says

I have a recipe for flourless muffins that uses bananas and almond butter. They are suprisingly moist and fluffy. Definitely going to try this recipe when I get home today. YUM!

6. Sue says

This is funny…..I just made the grain free pumpkin spice bars with chocolate chips last night before you published it as a muffin. I love pumpkin and chocolate! They came out terrific. Will definitely try the muffin version next!

7. says

Like you, I am completely in love with anything that involves pumpkin spice, or almonds for that matter! However, I am allergic to eggs. Do you think it would be possible to make these with flax seeds instead? Have you had any success with flax seeds in grain-free baking before? I know they probably won’t be as stable or hold together as well, but as long as they’re not complete mush I think the delicious taste will make up for it :)

8. Jennifer says

Made these last night-so yummy. Added a bit
    More cinnamon, cloves and ginger. Thank you
    For your wonderful creations!!

9. says

I just made these tonight! I added flaxseed & carob chips to my batter. They came out so moist, and rose so quickly – I was really impressed! As much as I could eat 12 in one sitting, I’ll have to be careful considering the aforementioned risk of cooking almonds at a high-heat scare. Thank you for such amazing recipes (and easy ones too)!

10. Linda B says

Just make these using cashew butter (which I made). and they were delicious. will make them again. Will add more spices.Thanks for all the wonderful recipes you send out..

11. says

I made a double batch of these and they are so yummy! Like what others have said, I’ll add more spices next time, but these have become our favorite GF pumpkin muffins! Thank you for sharing! Also, I was trying to give this recipe5 stars but I can’t get it off three! :( I REALLY give it five! *****

12. Jennifer says

LOVED these muffins! My family did half chocolate chips and the other half plain, and they were both yummy. Thank you!

13. Laurie says

I LOVE these. I was worried they wouldn’t fulfill my muffin craving, but they totally did, and they are so filling. My kids also LOVED them. I am making a second batch now. More muffin recipes for the mamas, please!

• Keri says

Hi, I tried these muffins awhile back and they were delicious! Now I am doing the Whole30 and was wondering if you had a way to make them without sugar. I know they won’t taste as sweet, but maybe I could add a banana? I am reallt more concerned that the texture will stay the same if I do not add maple syrup/honey, etc. Fake sugar is not okay either. Thank you!

• Judith says

For sugar free, you can puree some dates or raisins with a little bit of coconut oil. If you are able to eat raw honey, that would work too.

• says

In grain-free muffin recipes, I’ve yet to find a good substitute for eggs. Flax eggs produce a gooey, un-cooked consistency, so I assume a banana would have the same result. It will probably taste great, but I wouldn’t expect a fluffy muffin texture.

14. jessica says

Thanks for a GREAT easy recipe! These were absolutely delicious Still can’t believe they came out so well without flour! :)

15. Sharon says

Hi Megan! I am just starting to consider a wheat free eating plan. I don’t think it has been mentioned how many calories would be in one muffin. (Or I may have missed it) Would you happen to know or could you estimate? Thanks.

16. Jaynelle says

Made the muffins with “flax eggs” and they were great! They turned out a little under done, so I’ll cook a little longer next time. My kids loved them!

17. Niki says

I absolutely LOVE all of your recipes! These muffins are so delicious. I have a 2 year old daughter and she devours them. I love feeding her nutritious treats. Thank you for sharing!! :)

18. Ashley says

I have only recently began to love pumpkin spice everything!! These babies are in the oven and the batter was absolutely amazing! I added some vanilla extract to it because I can never seem to not add it to cakes :-) Thanks for this great paleo recipe!

19. Kelly says

I found this recipe after a search for grain free pumpkin muffins. I am new to grain free baking and will admit I was skeptical about these, but I was wrong. The muffins turned out delicious!! My hubby and kids love them and I’m making a second batch to serve at a morning book club meeting. Thank you for sharing your recipe!!

20. Sari says

Oh my goodness! I LOVE these! I am sure that using cashew butter would have the same rancid issue, but I will try it for the flavor aspect. From one who is just starting the Paleo journey – THANK YOU!

21. says

I am absolutely obsessed with all your muffin recipes (peanut butter, cinnamon spice, pumpkin…). They are all so simple, amazingly delicious, and shockingly grain-free. I’ve been making them and sharing them all year. Thank you so much for coming up with these recipes! They have been satisfying my sweet tooth but also supporting my workouts and diet.

22. Laura says

These are amazing! Thank you so much! We’re getting back to paleo and I’m missing the sweets…these are perfect!!!

23. Ann says

These were amazing! So nutty and moist, delicious! I made them today, even though I was a little skeptical. I’ve had THREE so far… I’ve put some in the freezer but something tells me they won’t stay there that long.

24. Colette says

These muffins were so wonderful! I was so surprised at how the texture was so perfect! They taste and feel like they are made with flour! I made these for a friend who eats gluten free. Not only did she love them, but so did the whole family! Thank you! I love pumpkin spice anything, and enjoyed your pumpkin spiced latte, too. I did not try the chocolate in it this time.

25. Tracy says

So, I substituted sunflower seed butter for the almond butter. The taste and texture were good (although the sun butter flavor is pretty overwhelming and I couldn’t really taste the pumpkin) but the muffins turned green! I’m not sure why. They look gross but taste pretty good.

• Megan Gilmore says

It’s a chemical reaction the baking soda– for some reason sunflower butter + baking soda = green baked goods! It’s totally safe, just not visually appealing. 😉

Trackbacks