Flourless Peanut Butter Banana Muffins

Bored with your usual breakfast?

Perhaps you should try these.

Grain-free and naturally sweetened, these muffins are my new favorite twist on the classic peanut butter and banana combo. Made with simple ingredients that you most likely already have in your kitchen, they can be ready in just 30 minutes from start to finish!

Flourless Peanut Butter Banana Muffins
makes 12 muffins

Adapted from this recipe

1 cup natural organic peanut butter
2 very ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 cup mashed)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 whole eggs
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 cup honey (or stevia, to taste)
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Optional add-ins: 1/2 cup chocolate chips, or 1 cup fresh raspberries, or 1/2 cup dried raisins or cherries, or 1 sliced banana

Preheat your oven to 350F and prepare a muffin tin with 12 paper liners.

(Adding the fresh raspberries or dried fruit will make these taste like a ‘peanut butter and jelly’ muffin!)

Scoop the batter, using a 1/4 cup, into each muffin liner.

Then bake for 15 minutes at 350F.

The resulting muffins should be firm, and lightly golden. Allow to cool for 15 minutes before removing from the pan.

Flourless Peanut Butter Banana Muffins
Cook time:
Serves: 12

• 1 cup natural organic peanut butter
  • 2 very ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 cup mashed)
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3 whole eggs
  • ½ teaspoon sea salt
  • ¼ cup honey (or stevia, to taste)
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • Optional add-ins: ½ cup chocolate chips, or 1 cup fresh raspberries, or ½ cup dried raisins or cherries, or 1 sliced banana
  1. Preheat your oven to 350F and prepare a muffin tin with 12 paper liners.
  2. In a medium bowl, combine all of the ingredients mix until smooth. At this point, you can fold in one of the optional add-ins, if desired.
  3. Scoop the batter, using a ¼ cup, into each muffin liner.
  4. Bake for 15 minutes at 350F. The resulting muffins should be firm, and lightly golden.
  5. Allow to cool for 15 minutes before removing from the pan.
  6. Serve immediately, or store in a sealed container in the fridge for up to a week!
Notes
Adding fresh raspberries or dried fruit will make these taste like a 'peanut butter and jelly' muffin! Almond butter can easily be substituted for the peanut butter in this recipe, if you prefer. You could also try sunflower butter as a nut-free option!

Note: As with all of my peanut butter based recipes, almond butter can easily be substituted, if you prefer. You could also try sunflower butter as a nut-free option!

In regards to flax eggs, using them gets a little tricky in recipes calling for more than one egg. You might want to add an additional dry ingredient, such as extra ground flax or almond flour, to avoid a mushy muffin. Experiment at your own risk!

Enjoy!

Reader Feedback: What’s your usual breakfast? Do you enjoy baked goods in the morning?

Comments

1. Staci says

Made these and loved them. Would like to make as mini-muffins for a holiday event at work. Recommendation on change in baking time for the smaller muffins?

2. chechel says

I have decided to have a bread free life. I love bread. My little piece of heaven is buttered toast (coconut butter and sourdough bread or gluten free bread) and a cup of cappuccino in the mornings 30mins after my green juice. So this decision is quite hard for me to do and have been putting it off for quite sometime now. Last night i have been researching on flour free recipes to make. I found your recipe and changed the peanut butter (i do nut free) to sunflower seed butter. Just few minutes ago, it came out from my oven and i did try to let it cool down first before tasting it. I was so shocked. It tastes absolutely heavenly. Already had quite a few pieces! Thank you so much for this recipe! I am a follower of your website. I find it very informative, helpful, and simple. I have made quite a few of your recipes and i love them all. Thank you so much for your generosity in posting these recipes for free. Cheers to you! Cheers to good health!

3. Missy says

I just made these and they were delicious! The only thing was that I didn’t have any baking soda (other than the box in the fridge that takes the fridge smell away yuck). So I had to improvise…..I surfed the web and found out that if you use 3x the baking powder rather than the baking soda….it works! I used the kind with no aluminum though. You also don’t add any salt since baking powder has some in it. Just thought I would share….saw in an older post here where someone had asked about that.

4. Susie says

I just made these with almond butter and they are delicious! This is definitely going into the breakfast rotation and will help me in my quest to be grain-free/low-carb.

5. Rannie says

I made this recipe and I loved it so much. Thank you for sharing.
    I have a question for you. What if I’d like to add only 1/2 cup of peanut butter?
    Do you think it will work??
    Believe me I love PB but I’d like to reduce the calories.

It will be great if you can answer this question.

6. Marie says

This might be a silly question …just wondering if I was to have these as breakfast how many would you eat? 1 or 2?

Thanks, can’t wait to try them!

7. Ruth says

Love this recipe along with so many of yours!
    If I need to eat low glycemic, would you say this, and your recipes in general, would fall under that category? I love the simple, healthy ingredients used in your recipes and they always taste amazing. I just don’t know exactly how to tell if something is low glycemic or not. I appreciate any feedback you have on that! Thanks 😄

• Ruth says

Sorry my phone changed that 5 star I gave to a 2 star when I posted the comment. These muffins are definitely a 5 star!

Trackbacks