How To Make Homemade Almond Butter

I hope you have some patience.

Because you’ll need it, if you want to make your own homemade almond butter.

Patience, almonds, and a food processor. That’s it!

I’m not a very patient person, which probably explains why I haven’t made my own almond butter up until now. I tried making it in my Vitamix once, but the powerful motor was almost too powerful for this particular process–> the moment I smelled something burning, I gave up! (I’m still not sure if it was the motor or the almonds burning…)

It should be noted that softer nuts, like cashews and macadamia nuts, are easily turned to butter in the Vitamix. And rather quickly! Almonds are just trickier.

With all of the almond butter recipes I’ve been churning out lately, I figured it would probably be a good idea to try making my own again.

Not only is homemade almond butter cheaper than the store-bought stuff, it also gives you greater control over the quality of almonds you’re eating. Almonds don’t need to be raw for almond-butter-making (especially if you’ll just be baking with them later), but I do think it’s important that they’re organic. If nothing else, the “organic” label ensures that chemicals aren’t used in the pasteurization process. Yuck!

So, not only will you have the satisfaction of having made your own almond butter, it’ll also be at a fraction of the cost, when compared to the organic jars at the grocery store. Win, win!

Here’s how:

Update: This process is a LOT faster if you warm the almonds in an oven first. I place mine in an oven preheated to 250F for about 10-15 minutes, until they are warm to the touch. This helps their oils release faster in the food processor, and they don’t seem to get any hotter than they would from the friction of the food processor, anyway.

To get started, add the almonds to the bowl of your food processor, fitted with an “S” blade.

Depending on the size of your food processor, you can grind up to 4 cups of almonds at a time. I recommend sticking to about 3 cups, to make the process move a little faster.

Snap on the lid, get the food processor running, and let it do all the work!

Be prepared, the food processor will be running for a while. You’ll notice that the ground almonds will start to collect around the edges of the bowl, so be sure to stop and scrape down the sides every few minutes, just to keep everything blending evenly.

Depending on the amount of almonds you use, and the size of your food processor, you’ll notice a change start to happen around the 10-15 minute mark.

As the oils are released from the almonds, they’ll start to stick together and form a large mass that moves around the bowl. You’ll also notice that the almond butter is getting rather warm… this is why I don’t recommend spending extra money to use truly raw almonds. They’ll be “cooked” by the time this process is over, anyway!

After about 20 minutes of consistent processing– right about the time when you think you’re never going to wind up with almond butter– magic will happen.

You’ll finally have a grainy-looking almond butter.

Don’t worry, you’re almost there!

After a couple more minutes of processing, your almond butter will become smooth and creamy.

Even smoother than some store-bought brands. (If you’ve ever bought Trader Joe’s raw almond butter, you’ll know what I mean– there are always chunks of shell in there!)

How To Make Homemade Almond Butter
Serves: 1.5 cups

A creamy almond butter that's more affordable than the store-bought versions!
  • 3 cups almonds
  1. Place the almonds in a food processor fitted with an "S" blade. Secure the lid and allow to process for 20-30 minutes, stopping and scraping down the sides as needed throughout the process.
  2. The almond butter is ready with the oils have released and the resulting butter is very smooth and creamy-- this takes more time than you'd expect, so be patient!
  3. Transfer the almond butter to a sealed glass jar, and store in the fridge for best shelf life.

You can use the resulting almond butter immediately in one of your favorite recipes, or transfer to a sealed glass container to store in the fridge.

A few tips about making your own almond butter:

• You can use raw or roasted almonds. Raw almonds take a little longer, and freshly roasted almonds break down into nut butter faster, if added to the food processor while still warm. (You can dry-roast your own almonds for 10-12 minutes at 350F).
  • Feel free to add salt or spices, to your own personal taste.
  • Don’t use soaked almonds (without thoroughly drying), or add liquid, for longest shelf life. It might be tempting to add something like vanilla extract, but added moisture will reduce the shelf life greatly.

Enjoy!

If you haven’t tried it yet, I hope you’re inspired to try making your own almond butter in the near future. Just like making your own almond milk, once you try it, you may never want to go back to the store-bought stuff again!

Reader Feedback: Have you tried making your own almond butter, or other nut butters?

574 thoughts on “How To Make Homemade Almond Butter

1. Elaine

I just used your recipe to make homemade almond butter. It turned out great. Thank you for all the detailed information. It is much better than the ones you buy in the store. I like knowing what is in the food I am eating.

2. Adriana

Yum! I just made this and it turned out great! Very creamy! 🙂 It makes a little more than you get in the store bought jars, PLUS it costs less! I get 32 oz (2lb) of raw almonds for $14.50. It comes with 8 cups of almonds. So this recipe only costs me about $5! 🙂
    I roasted my almonds for 12 minutes at 350. And it only took my food processer 10 minutes until it became nice and creamy. But I let it go for 13 minutes, to be on the safe side.
    I was quite surprised to! My food processor sucks! Lol! 🙂
    Thanks for this great recipe!! 🙂

3. Camille

I do not have a food processor, but I do have a Vitamix. Will I still receive the desired results using the Vitamix?

1. Ginny

I too have a nutirbullet. They don’t recommend running it for more than a minute at a.time to prevent overheating of the motor. It will shut off. I don’t thing it will work. I have a 29.00 food processor we from Walmart and it works just fine.

1. Vitamix Chef

A Vitamix will work great. I freeze a 1 lb bag of dry roasted, unsalted almonds from Trader Joes to keep the temperature down during preparation.

It takes the Vitamix about 15 seconds to turn the entire pound of nuts into a fine crumble – during this period, the motor on my older Vitamix 5000 will labor. The newer, more powerful models shouldn’t have a bit of trouble. About 30 seconds of work with the tamper turns the mix into a paste, and another 60 seconds of processing turns it into a beautifully creamy almond butter.

2. Maria Moore

I just tried this with my Vitamix and I got a smooth creamy result. I started on the lowest variable setting and increased it to 5 variable after it was nice and pulverized. It only took about 5 minutes for 1 and half cups of almonds which I baked at 350 for 20 minutes and put in the Vitamix while still hot.

4. Myrna

Thanks for sharing your simple recipe to make a homemade almond butter. I used a magic bullet and turned out great. I’ll make my own almond butter, it’s cheaper.

5. Talle

Wow! Totally worked. I only had raw, organic, slivered almonds on hand. I roasted them for 14 minutes on 250, then put them in my basic old food processor. Only took about 5 minutes! Maybe because they are slivered, but I’m sold on making my own. Almond milk is next! Thanks!

6. Caroline

I don’t have much patience which is one of the reasons I haven’t gotten into cooking / baking! But I really want to develop some skills in making some tasty things! I live with my boyfriend and his family, and am not sure what they have but I’m hoping they have a food processor because I have a good amount of almonds still and this would be super cool to make! Thanks for sharing! Its so simple, and easy I am going to have to make patience my thing waiting on the creamy goodness for thirty minutes!

7. Gale

I LOVE the fresh ground almond butter at my nearby Whole Foods, but at $10.99/lb it’s quite pricey so I thought I’d try this. (I’ve learned that different Whole Foods have different prices for this!) Easy peasy to make -done in 6 minutes with my Cuisinart. But the taste isn’t the same so I’m not loving it. I used Kirkland (Costco) roasted almonds. Anyone know what kind of almonds are used at Whole Foods?? Does the fresh grind have salt sprinkled on their almonds. Trying to figure out how to make THAT one 🙂 Thanks!!

8. Wendy

I ran out of peanut butter for a recipe and decided to google for a substitute and came across your site. I have all kinds of nuts on hand so when I read how easy it was, I just had to give it a shot. Oh my gosh! How simple!! Works great and tastes delicious! I had questioned for just a split second if my protein bars would be affected by using this versus store bought peanut butter but they are perfect. I love having things made at home by me and knowing whats in it. I can’t believe that I’ve never tried this before! Texture is thinner than store bought but you also are eating something that is pure! LOVE

9. Jeanne

hi, this is kind of a silly question but so far I can not get anyone to answer it. when making almond butter everyone says to use whole almonds I have a really big bag of sliced almonds and cant afford to “test” this theory. I know you can opt out of roasting them so far the only reason I have found that people do not opt out is it takes longer to break down, and if you take care in roasting the slices would that work? thanks for any help you can offer
    JeanneMarie

1. Tina

Hi someone else use the some almonds they don’t have to blend as long

I’m going have a try myself at making this I make my own almond milk and cashew milk

2. Clare

Hi

I tried this yesterday using ground almonds as I didn’t have any wholen ones (cheaper as well for future Ref).
      I warmed 170g of ground almonds up as directed and then put them in a in a liquidiser. Honestly it took no more than 8 minutes to finish and I scooped 150g out of the liquidiser . If it works works on ground almonds it is bound to work on your slivered almonds. Good luck ( you won’t be needing it).

1. Ray

I would say unless you have a very expensive and powerful blender it cannot get the blades moving fast enough to work for this recipe. However you can always just go the age old route of just trying it and seeing what happens. If it doesn’t work you can just throw the almond bits into muffin batter! Lol

1. mommyjoy

I just bought a nearly-new Cuisinart food processor on Craigslist for $30.00! The seller was given this for Christmas and had a small kitchen. And she isn’t into cooking. Sure beats paying retail! Just an idea! ;D Now, back to making me some almond butter in my “new” food processor…

10. Petra

Thanks so much for the advice and encouragement! I’ve been thinking about making almond butter for a long time, but today I actually did it! Note: I found myself having to stop the food processor often to scrape down the sides, so I moved the whole operation to my stand mixer (paddle attachment). This worked fine, and made it easier to blend the almonds as the process went on.
    Again, thanks for the push!
    Petra

11. Jennifer Anthony

Thank you for this article. I’d like to get off of peanut butter and try almond butter but it is so expensive. Do you need a very high powered food processor. I don’t own a KitchenAid or anything of the like but only a small Cuisinart. I’m thinking that will not do the trick here since it would be on for quite some time.

12. Mary

time for humor? yes, it is always time for humor so here goes: I decided to try your Almond Butter and even checked out your link to making Almond Milk. When my butter was almost perfect, I decided to add a bit of sweetness and drizzled in a bit of raw honey. As it was “processing” that,, I thought it would be a great idea to add a hint of vanilla. The nut butter was probably about 30 seconds from perfection when I added the vanilla. Well, I am here to tell you that it went from being crazy smooth and perfectly creamy to an awesome ball of taffy-consistency-candy! Wow, is it ever crazy delicious but it is soooo not spreadable. All of the coconut oil I had addded to the recipe was now separated and was easy to drain off. and it is delicious. Some fo the best mistakes become the best new recipes Thanks, loving this!

13. Marla

If I add a little oil or coconut oil…how long will the shelf life decrease? What is the average shelf life for almond butter?

Also, was thinking of adding a little cinnamon, would that decrease shelf life?

Thanks!
    Marla

14. jeff

with a nutribullit RX i just made 12 oz. of sunflower seed butter. i didn’t want them to go bad. i purchased too many. i saw no recipe, just put them in and hit the button. i soon saw i needed moisture of some sort to keep the seeds blending. i added 1 1/2 teaspoons of grape seed oil (better than olive) and away it went. 10 min. time and another 10 min. to clean it all up. i’ll be having sunflower butter and grape jelly on toast in 2 hours. the butter is tasty. i think i’ll put a bit of sugar in my next batch. Jiffy look out!!! here i come….

15. Liz

I just made this and it turned out amazing! I used 3 cups like you stated and I got about 2 cups of butter. Thank you.
    I hope you don’t mind, but I shared the link on my Instagram, but this method is truly awesome. I can’t wait to check out more of your recipes. Thanks!
    P.s. I wanted to rate this 5 stars, but my phone won’t let me…

16. GBrown

I almost spent 9.99 on a small jar of almond butter at whole foods when I thought to google if you could make almond butter with a food processor at home (since I already had a bag of them.) Wow! I am so impressed. Worked exactly like your recipe says and I love that it is so clean ( we can see exactly what we are eating and how high quality it is.) Taste great (I added a pinch of sea salt) thank you such much! Now I am inspired to see what else I can make at home!

17. Andrea

Why it smells so bad 🙁 i make it the exact same way. Could you tell me how can i fix it or this is how it smells

18. Patricia

My first time making almond butter.It take me about 10 min in my food processor. I added a pinch of salt and 1tsp of raw honey, soooo delicious!!!! I don’t think I will buy almond butter again.

19. Leslie

Where do you buy your nuts from In bulk? That is s good price? I couldn’t find it on your website! Thanks!

20. Dorota

I’m so glad I read this! I started making the almond butter and thought “What the heck? I should have butter already!” I almost gave up when I saw the dry crumbly mess. Your words got me through this process 🙂

21. Normandie

Just finished my first batch! Great taste! I started with 1 cup of almonds; wasn’t sure if my little 2-cup food processor could do the job but it whirred its’ little heart out and right at the 10 minute mark… the MAGIC happened! I added a pinch of salt to enhance the flavor (“You are the salt of the earth…” Mt 5:13)
    And now on to batch #2 with a little honey this time! Thanks so much for this wonderful tasting and cost-saving recipe!

22. Paul

I have a Premiere wet stone grinder and the butter turned out great and got consumed really really quick. I was wondering would it be possible to add some dried goji berries to the to my next batch for an added flavour or would it ruin the process?

23. Becky

Hi!
    I’ve been wanting to try this recipe for AGES….but I only have an old Thermomix…..could I make the butter with that? And do you usually take the brown skin off the almonds before putting them in the processor?
    Thanks!

24. Anna

I have made this recipe many times, but today was the first time that I used raw almonds. Wow – I was surprised at how long it took versus using roasted almonds! From start to finish, it took about 25-30 minutes, whereas when I first roast the almonds following your directions, it only takes about 10 minutes. I have a 14-cup Cuisinart food processor, and the motor got really hot during the 25 minute time period. At about the twenty-five minute mark, I just turned it off and let it sit for about 5 minutes. I then added a tablespoon of coconut oil and a 1/4 teaspoon sea salt to help speed things along, and let it run for about 5 more minutes. The end result was creamy and delicious, but I think I will stick to first roasting my almonds for a bit before I add them to the processor. I am glad I decided to use the raw almonds today, though, it is fun to make things differently sometimes for comparison purposes. Thanks again, Megan, for this delicious recipe and all your tips!

25. Linda

I have almond butter! Whoohoo! Thanks for your work and recipe; it took 25 minutes to see butter, at 30 minutes it is smooth and creamy. I started with raw organic almonds, heated them as you suggested, used an old hamilton beach food processor. Things did heat up but the almond butter very delicious.

No, don’t use wet almonds! They must be dry to make nut butter. You’re welcome to soak them and then dry thoroughly before processing, if you like.

26. Rachel

Has anyone ever made almond butter without skin? I know much of the benefit is in the skin, but I have a hard time with the grittiness. looks like a great recipe – can’t wait to try it!

27. Tom

Amazing! I have a Ninja Master Prep (used the food processor/chopper bowl, not the big pitcher) and it worked like a dream. It definitely got a little warm but kept on churning. Be sure to warm the almonds beforehand and scrape down the sides a few times. All I added was a pinch of sea salt as I didn’t have any cinnamon on hand. I will never buy almond butter again! Can’t wait to try macadamia nut butter next!

28. Beci

OMGOSH I did think my processor was going to explode but, PATIENCE is key ( I had to go outside my processor was deafening!) AMAZING THANK YOU!

29. Patricia

Thank you so much for the detailed instructions. I just made up my first batch of almond butter and it was perfect. My processor handled the job well and I varied the speed at times as I watched it fold the sides down. I didn’t need to do too much scraping if sides. I guess that is dependant on brand of processor and shape of bowl.
    👌

30. Morten

if you want to add vanilla don’t use the vanilla extract whatsoever for more or less anything, its a poor product at the best of times, just get proper vanilla pods, fermented and cured, and all that other beautiful stuff that needs to be done to them to get the sweet amazing taste to really pop out. (which is what the vanilla pods you buy have been through)
    use proper vanilla or drop it… honestly…

31. callie

hi I ran across your site while I was looking for almond butter how to make in my nutria ninja with auto- IQ can someone please tell me how to use it for nut butters. thank you.

32. Pingback: Vietnamese Sweet Almond Curry – Site Title

33. Amy

I am wondering if you use the big main bowl of your food processor or the smaller inner bowl. I am looking to do 3 cups like you did.

34. Bela Johnson

Thank you! Have made nut butters in the past in my Vitamix, and you are correct – they all but burn. MUCH better in food processor! Thanks for the helpful tips as well (scrape down, wait for it, wait for it ….!). Aloha.

35. ruhollah

hi Megan!

For the past two years,we have been buying raw, *unpasteurized*, natural almonds from a local farm. Unfortunately, the farm was bought by a big company and no longer accessible to us.

Do you know where I should get raw, unpasteurized almond? I am looking for a reliable source, rather than those huge chain stores/wholesales.

Any suggestions is highly appreciated.

36. Kim

How long do you think it would keep in the fridge? I was thinking of making it for gifts to my neighbors next winter. Have you ever tried to freeze it? I hate to run out of almond butter! I;m glad I can make my own now, Thanks,