How To Make Homemade Almond Butter

I hope you have some patience.

Because you’ll need it, if you want to make your own homemade almond butter.

Patience, almonds, and a food processor. That’s it!

I’m not a very patient person, which probably explains why I haven’t made my own almond butter up until now. I tried making it in my Vitamix once, but the powerful motor was almost too powerful for this particular process–> the moment I smelled something burning, I gave up! (I’m still not sure if it was the motor or the almonds burning…)

It should be noted that softer nuts, like cashews and macadamia nuts, are easily turned to butter in the Vitamix. And rather quickly! Almonds are just trickier.

With all of the almond butter recipes I’ve been churning out lately, I figured it would probably be a good idea to try making my own again.

Not only is homemade almond butter cheaper than the store-bought stuff, it also gives you greater control over the quality of almonds you’re eating. Almonds don’t need to be raw for almond-butter-making (especially if you’ll just be baking with them later), but I do think it’s important that they’re organic. If nothing else, the “organic” label ensures that chemicals aren’t used in the pasteurization process. Yuck!

So, not only will you have the satisfaction of having made your own almond butter, it’ll also be at a fraction of the cost, when compared to the organic jars at the grocery store. Win, win!

Here’s how:

Update: This process is a LOT faster if you warm the almonds in an oven first. I place mine in an oven preheated to 250F for about 10-15 minutes, until they are warm to the touch. This helps their oils release faster in the food processor, and they don’t seem to get any hotter than they would from the friction of the food processor, anyway.

To get started, add the almonds to the bowl of your food processor, fitted with an “S” blade.

Depending on the size of your food processor, you can grind up to 4 cups of almonds at a time. I recommend sticking to about 3 cups, to make the process move a little faster.

Snap on the lid, get the food processor running, and let it do all the work!

Be prepared, the food processor will be running for a while. You’ll notice that the ground almonds will start to collect around the edges of the bowl, so be sure to stop and scrape down the sides every few minutes, just to keep everything blending evenly.

Depending on the amount of almonds you use, and the size of your food processor, you’ll notice a change start to happen around the 10-15 minute mark.

As the oils are released from the almonds, they’ll start to stick together and form a large mass that moves around the bowl. You’ll also notice that the almond butter is getting rather warm… this is why I don’t recommend spending extra money to use truly raw almonds. They’ll be “cooked” by the time this process is over, anyway!

After about 20 minutes of consistent processing– right about the time when you think you’re never going to wind up with almond butter– magic will happen.

You’ll finally have a grainy-looking almond butter.

Don’t worry, you’re almost there!

After a couple more minutes of processing, your almond butter will become smooth and creamy.

Even smoother than some store-bought brands. (If you’ve ever bought Trader Joe’s raw almond butter, you’ll know what I mean– there are always chunks of shell in there!)

How To Make Homemade Almond Butter
Serves: 1.5 cups

A creamy almond butter that's more affordable than the store-bought versions!
  • 3 cups almonds
  1. Place the almonds in a food processor fitted with an "S" blade. Secure the lid and allow to process for 20-30 minutes, stopping and scraping down the sides as needed throughout the process.
  2. The almond butter is ready with the oils have released and the resulting butter is very smooth and creamy-- this takes more time than you'd expect, so be patient!
  3. Transfer the almond butter to a sealed glass jar, and store in the fridge for best shelf life.

You can use the resulting almond butter immediately in one of your favorite recipes, or transfer to a sealed glass container to store in the fridge.

A few tips about making your own almond butter:

• You can use raw or roasted almonds. Raw almonds take a little longer, and freshly roasted almonds break down into nut butter faster, if added to the food processor while still warm. (You can dry-roast your own almonds for 10-12 minutes at 350F).
  • Feel free to add salt or spices, to your own personal taste.
  • Don’t use soaked almonds (without thoroughly drying), or add liquid, for longest shelf life. It might be tempting to add something like vanilla extract, but added moisture will reduce the shelf life greatly.

Enjoy!

If you haven’t tried it yet, I hope you’re inspired to try making your own almond butter in the near future. Just like making your own almond milk, once you try it, you may never want to go back to the store-bought stuff again!

Reader Feedback: Have you tried making your own almond butter, or other nut butters?

Comments

1. Michelle says

I made this with my Nutribullet and it worked so well! I “roasted” the almonds on the stove in a pot for a few min and then put into the bullet and after about 10 min and stopping every min or so to scrape from the sides I have awesome almond butter! I am so pleased and will never buy expensive store bought again!!

2. Miri says

HELP! so i soaked the almonds, then dehydrate and roasted. Place it in my food processor and I made butter in 2 minutes!I was so happy so I added a pinch of salt and one Tbsp of maple syrup, start mixing and everything turned into a solid mass !!!! why??? What can i do to make it soft so I can spread it? I don’t want add any oil . Can you help me to understand what went wrong and how to fix it ? Thanks !

• Megan says

I’m not sure of the science behind why that happens, but I’ve seen almond butter get thick and sticky when I add maple syrup to it, too. I’m not sure how to fix it once that happens! (I don’t think adding oil would help.) I’d probably just press that version into a pan and stick it in the fridge or freezer so you can enjoy it like fudge!

3. Joanne says

I have a Ninja 1500, bought and soaked raw almonds, dried them on a dehydrator over night, but them in the Ninja and got nothing but very finely chopped almonds, tried to add a little olive oil and nothing. Just finely chopped almonds. Any ideas?

• Jessica says

I used a ninja professional and I had to just keep blending and scraping the sides it probably took 35 min to get the butter the consistency that would work. good luck!

4. Jessica says

I am so glad that I found this blog. I tried to make my own almond butter according to instructions on another blog and they were to bland 1 min then scrape down the sides and blend 2 more min and scrap the sides again and then 1.5 min more and done! well that just gave me some almond meal. I left the mess in the processor and went looking for better instructions and found yours! Thanks because now I have some lovely almond butter. I have a ninja professional and I think it took longer than 20 min but I don’t think my almonds are roasted. I bought them at Costco and the package didn’t say. your instructions are clear and the pictures helped a lot with what to expect and once I saw them I realized that it was just beginning the process and needed to keep going. I was worried about the heat and you explained that away for me. I am ready to try many other recipes now too.

5. says

Wow! You were certainly right about the patience factor required for this nut butter. I have been cringing at the cost of almond butter in the grocery store lately and decided to give those almonds a whirl (literally). It was also an exercise in patience :) Thanks for the recipe and tutorial!

6. Janice Briggs says

Great instructions! I eat almond butter spread on stalks of celery for breakfast. Delicious. Sometimes I stir in pine nuts when I can find them.

7. Lucy says

Oh my! That took me over an hour. I did soak my almonds but they were fully dry before I started (2days drying and half a day in the sun) I still don’t have a good consistency but I have simply run out of time. I think the recipe is good, but I won’t be trying again until I have a better processor., if ii ever do try again…

8. Carol R says

I just did this – and WOW – you are right. I will never buy it again. My fresh almond butter was sooooo much better!!! It is cool how all of a sudden it comes together at the end. I am in nut butter heaven right now!

Without this great, picture laden tutorial I don’t think I would have made it to the end of the process. I would have probably pitched it part way through thinking it wouldn’t work. Thanks!

9. Palyn says

I’ve now made two batches of almond butter, following your guidelines. I lightly toasted three cups of raw almonds in the oven, and let them cool for just a bit before putting them in my Cuisinart Prep 11 Plus food processor. It went amazingly quickly, and I had satiny-smooth almond butter in just about six minutes! (Which was good, because it was a noisy process). And I had to scrape down the sides of the processor bowl only once. For the first batch, to be used for almond butter cookies, I didn’t add any other ingredients. It was rather bland, but perfect for its intended use. For the second batch, I added a small amount of kosher salt and a couple of teaspoons of raw sugar, to make it more palatable as a replacement for peanut butter. No need to ever buy ready-made, organic peanut or almond butter again. This way, I can control the quality of the ingredients. Thanks – simple but genius!

10. Linna says

As long as it doesn’t get above 118 degrees it is still considered raw, so even though the almonds do get heated up during the process of making the almond butter, it’s still not enough to make it not raw!

11. says

If you are going to spend all of your time to make your own almond butter, and probably destroy your food processor at the same time. Then take it form me, and a actual almond grower, do not buy your almonds from trader joes. Trader Joe’s does not sell fresh nuts. If you want good tasting butter then you need to always dry roast and use quality Nonpareil variety almonds. Trader Joe’s sells a majority of low quality nuts. you get what you pay for…

12. Lynn says

I was so inspired reading this blog. It’s been difficult to get Almond Butter where I had previously… Trader Joes and Costco. Since the Almond Butter recall a few months back it has not been at Costco and the times I’ve seen it at TJ they now have cashews in the ingredients and I don’t want cashews in my almond butter! So, I tried it in my Vitamix and it worked well. I used 4 cups of the raw almonds I get at Costco and 4 T of grape seed oil and churned away on hi for about the 1st 25 minutes (stopped a number of times to use a large spoon and scrape around to mix up top and bottom) and mainly on med. for last 15 minutes. Yep, took about 40 minutes but the results were well worth it! One recipe I saw called for Sunflower Oil (or maybe Safflower oil?) or peanut oil but I only have grape seed oil so I googled and found someone who uses that for their Almond Butter. So thanks for the inspiration and getting me past the hump of fear to try!

13. Frances says

I made this a few days ago. It came out great. However, today I made protein balls in it and tried making almond butter again and the motor whirs but the blade doesn’t spin. Googled and the manual says not to run it for more than a minute at a time. It’s a Hamilton Beach I’ve had for about 9 years or so. Very disappointed.

14. says

Oh wow! I’m sooo glad I saw your post, I never had such gorgeous almond butter as the one I tried this afternoon, and I waited, and waited and waited and WOW!!!!! I always gave up way before and added oil, and now I didn’t add anything and it’s fantastic. I have a Thermomix and the temperature went up to 70C while it was churning (about 160F)… but it worked! Thank you! thank you! thank you!!!!!

15. Mohsin says

Hello,
    Great recipe. Thank you much. It was a ‘smooth’ kind of butter. I want to make ‘crunchy’. Could you please help me?
    Cheers.

16. Krissy Kay says

No one has mentioned using sliced almonds. Would’nt that make the whole process faster? Im going to slightly roast and try. Anyone try this yet?

17. Krissy Kay says

My Q is above. OMG… Just used 2 cups sliced almonds. Roastd 10 min at 350. Put in Vita-mix hot with a little salt and grapeseed oil. I had almond butter in 1-3 min. I got a 32 oz bag at Sams Club, but $13!!!! Worth it, no busted motor. Yes, i know, it wasnt organic.

18. Betty says

Just made my very first almond butter in a very old GE Food Processor. works great. Hadn’t made peanut butter since kids were home 30 years ago…will start again because it is better.

19. HealthHappy says

I wanted to make a Spiced Almond Milk recipe I saw on Simple Green Smoothies, but I didn’t have any almond butter. So I thought, “Ha, I’ll just make some. Can’t be too hard.” Found this recipe, and, voila! It came out great. I used organic raw almonds, and it didn’t take too much time. Knowing it was going to climb the sides of my Cuisinart, ball up, get warm, get grainy, and then creamy were all good to know. Knowing what to expect was really good. My spiced almond milk was delish too! A tip at the end of that recipe to put it in the Vitamix after heating it up was fabulous. Made the drink nice and frothy. Between the two recipes, it was well worth my time this morning! Yum yum!

20. Heather says

Hi just wondering I have a optimum blender with just the one blade (it’s very similar to a vitamix) would this be ok to use. I have blened almonds before and it blends them up in 3 mins but it was not to make butter.

21. says

Great recipe, thank you! HOWEVER I did something wrong! It was looking great, creamy smooth. Then I added some honey and it turned out real thick and course. It didn’t matter how long I kept it in the food processor (started smoking) it just wasn’t going to get smooth again. What did I do wrong?

• Megan Gilmore says

Yes, adding a liquid sweetener will do that. You can add oil or water at the same time to help keep it smooth– I usually add water to mine, but that does shorten the shelf-life of the nut butter to about a week or so in the fridge.

• says

I will do that with my next batch! Instead of remixing what I already have, I made some of it into little balls and rolled them in melted chocolate for a healthier treat!
        Next time I will add water or oil as directed.
        Thanks so much!

22. Monique M. says

I’m still waiting for mine to finish lol it’s been much longer than 30 minutes. >_< Hopefully the wait is worth it. This is my first time making a nut butter.

23. anya clark says

How much almond butter does this make, in grams? Also does almond butter have a much weaker flavour than other nut butters, so is it better for baking with?

24. Annie says

Just successfully made my own homemade almond butter for the first time!!! Thank you- exactly on point that patience was key. Used a Sunbeam hand handle mixer- perfection! So excited. Thanks

25. Emily says

I have tried to make my own almond butter and it stayed as crumbs for about 20 minutes, so I carried on blending, and now it’s just like a greasy dough ball – it’s not creamy at all? Do you have ant tips please? I feel so sad it hasn’t worked :(

26. Christine says

Hi, I thought it’s easier to digest if you sprout the almonds first. Could you do that and dry them in the oven?

Thank you, I’ve been wanting to switch to almond butter for a long time (from Peanut butter, which isn’t so good for me personally to be eating), but am worried about digesting unsoaked/unsprouted almonds. Am I wrong about this?

– Christine

27. says

I like making my own nut butters because the store bought ones are so full of sugar and I am a type 1 diabetic, my husband is type 2, so yeah those ones are out. I also made my own almond milk this morning. My son was amazed. Also make my own nut flours because we live in a very very small town where not much is available. I am so glad that I found this site, I put it in my favorites and will be visiting it often for keeping my family into more healthy living. Thank You Detoxinista*

28. DataBased says

Like Palyn commented above, my experience was about 6 minutes from the time I turned on the food processor. I did roast my (2 cups of) almonds before beginning and was prepared for a 20 minute wait. Imagine how surprised I was to find it happening so quickly! My blender has an edge scraper built in, which I’m suddenly very thankful for – and of course, I’m completely thankful for you posting this tutorial! We’re thrilled to be able to make our own almond butter.

29. Bluet says

Hi ! I don’t have a food processor but a strong blender, can I use my blender to make this almond milk ?
    thanks !

30. Samir Dhuri says

Thank you very much for this.
    Recipe is real simple & easy once you roast the almonds.
    It took hardly 15 minutes to get there once roasted.
    Used it to make protein bars !!

31. Rachel says

Can anyone please explain to me all the differences of raw vs. roasted and pasteurized vs. unpasteurized almonds? It all gets slammed together in categories with no clear definition of what is what.

32. Karen says

Easy peasy! Became smooth and creamy around 12 minutes, but kept my food processor running (scraping every few minutes) for another 5 minutes. My friend Katie was so impressed!
    Thanks, Detoxinista! xo

33. Jenny says

Can you mention in your main article that a roasting temp of 250 or less is best due to acrylamide formation at higher temps. That applies to other things being roasted too, not just almonds. Thanks! Great article!

Trackbacks