Healthier Pumpkin Spice Latte

Pumpkin Spice lattes seem to be in high-demand this season.

Personally, I’ve never been a fan of the famous Pumpkin Spice lattes available at big coffee chains. While I do love both coffee and pumpkin, these drinks are usually too sweet for my taste, not to mention that they are usually dairy-based and loaded with artificial flavoring.

This homemade Pumpkin Spice latte is a lighter alternative, combining a hint of pumpkin puree, homemade almond milk, fall spices and a splash pure maple syrup. It tastes like a decadent coffee drink, without the use of artificial syrups or preservatives!

If you don’t care for coffee, feel free to use extra almond milk instead, for a caffeine-free drink!

Pumpkin Spice Latte (Vegan)
makes 2 cups

1 cup homemade almond milk
1 cup hot brewed coffee
2 tablespoons pumpkin puree
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup, or stevia to taste
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice

Adjust flavor to taste, and serve warm!

A high-speed blender should keep the contents hot enough to serve immediately, but if you’re using a traditional blender, you may want to transfer the contents to a saucepan and warm over the stove top before serving.

Healthier Pumpkin Spice Latte
Serves: 2

This homemade pumpkin spice latte is a lighter alternative to the coffee shop variety, combining a hint of pumpkin puree, homemade almond milk, fall spices and a splash pure maple syrup. It tastes like a decadent coffee drink, without the use of artificial syrups or preservatives! If you don't care for coffee, feel free to use extra almond milk instead, for a caffeine-free drink!
  • 1 cup homemade almond milk
  • 1 cup hot brewed coffee
  • 2 tablespoons pumpkin puree
  • 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup, or stevia to taste
  • ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
  1. Combine all of the ingredients in a high-speed blender, and blend until smooth and creamy.
  2. Adjust flavor to taste, and serve warm! A high-speed blender should keep the contents hot enough to serve immediately, but if you're using a traditional blender, you may want to transfer the contents to a saucepan and warm over the stove top before serving.

Enjoy!

Reader Feedback: Are you a fan of pumpkin spice lattes? Any other hot drink favorites?

Hi, I’m Megan. A former fast food junkie turned certified nutritionist consultant, trying to make healthy living as easy as possible. I believe in eating delicious whole foods on a regular basis to help naturally support the body’s detox organsβ€” no juice fasting required. (Unless you want to!) If you make one of my healthy recipes, tag @detoxinista on Instagram or Facebook so I can see!

45 thoughts on “Healthier Pumpkin Spice Latte

1. Vicky (Sweet and Healthy Living)

Hi Megan,

I was wondering what your opinion is on the whole omega 3 to 6 ratio. I know that most paleo advocates recommend consuming more animal fats, avocado and coconut rather than nuts because nuts are higher in omega 6 fats, while grass fed animal products have a better omega ratio. According to some, high levels of omega 6 fats, which are inflammatory, are the culprit for heart disease rather than cholesterol or saturated fat. What do you think?

2. Cadie

Great idea! I, too, find traditional pumpkin spice lattes to be too sweet and artificial-tasting. I’ll have to try this! I wonder if regular unsweetened almond milk would work…I don’t have any homemade almond milk on hand.

3. the delicate place

yum! i make a pumpkin spice chai similar to this! when i go to a coffee shop i usually ask for decaf with a splash of soy or almond milk and 1 pump of the syrup. that ends up being PLENTY sweet for me!

4. jeanne

I’ve never heard of coffee with pumpkin but it sounds a bit strange…I’m french and we don’t really mess with our coffee πŸ™‚ I may make this sans coffee though, that sounds delish!

5. Lauren

I’m not a coffee drinker, but my husband is a sucker for all those Starbuck’s drinks, so I think he’ll enjoy this one! I tried your vanilla-cado smoothie last night, and it was divine! I love that I didn’t have to add bananas to make it creamy…I think too many bananas bother me, so it’ll be a go-to recipe!

6. Christine

Wow!! I was just saying to my husband this morning how I love me a Pumpkin Spice Latte in the fall, but they are WAY too sweet and I try not to consume cow dairy, and then….I open my email and here you are saving the day!! πŸ™‚ I am going to make this right now! I just love all your recipes – so simple and delish! I made the PB – chocolate blondies last night! Wonderful! Thanks for all you do!

7. Laura

Hi Megan
    Perhaps you could talk about food combining some day.
    I have seen the board that you made, but i am more interested.
    Love Laura

8. Ann-Kristin

Hi Megan, you really made my day with this recipe! I’ve been craving a chai tea all day!! πŸ™‚ But I was wondering which pumpkin you’re using for the puree or whether you buy it somewhere? Thanks!

9. Sarah

Megan, I’ve written before saying how amazingly delicious *ALL* your recipes are. I wanted to write this time to let you know that I just returned home from another stay in the hospital for my Crohn’s disease; but it honestly cheered me up so much to look at your blog often, and know that I will get better and that as I heal I have so many many *YUMMY* and truly *HEALTHY* recipes I get to look forward to enjoying! And all of which will only continue to help me to feel well and maintain my health, while feeling like I’m indulging! So thank you very much for giving me lots to look forward to.

10. Sue

Made the pumpkin spice latte for myself, husband and daughter and it was a bit hit! We added one more tablespoon of maple syrup because we liked it just a little sweeter.

11. Pingback: Obsessions - Lisa Lately | Lisa Lately

12. Pingback: Marvelous in My Monday!

13. Sherry Guajardo

Since Starbucks just recently changed their pricing on their drinks and my Venti Iced soy latte with a pump of Chai or a pump of pumpkin is now almost $6.00, I had to find other alternatives. So I went and bought a coffee maker and tried this drink. Poured it over ice in my Starbucks cup, ( because I have a ton of them ) and it was DELICIOUS!!!! I blended it in the blender a minute or 2 and it tastes just like my Starbucks latte. Thanks so much for saving me almost $40.00 a week.

14. Alex

So yummy! I used coconut milk because I am still waiting for my nut milk bag to arrive in the mail. I will be making this all season. Thank you!

15. Pingback: Pumpkin Picks |

16. annie

YOU ARE A GENIUS. I just made it without the coffee and mixed it cold (almond milk, 1 tbsp pumpkin puree, a little vanilla and the spices) and I microwaved it for two minutes (I’m lazy) … It’s amazing! Way better than the store bought kind. Thank you! Your recipes are changing my life. πŸ™‚

17. Raquel

I am not a coffee drinker any more, now i drink Yerba Matte instead! This makes an excellent Matte Latte!!! Thank you so much for all of your fun and wonderful recipes! You have made staying healthy so much more exciting and my husband loves them too, that’s saying alot lol!

18. Jessi

Oh my goodness, this sounds delicious!! I never thought to whip it into a latte using just the blender. Definitely going to give this a try – I am a huge fan of pumpkin spiced coffee, but not the super sweet pumpkin lattes. This sounds like the perfect place to start πŸ™‚

19. Jennifer

I love pumpkin everything so I hopped right up to make this – yum! I will be saving a ton of money this fall – thank you!

20. Jess @ Crunchy Hot Mama

Another winner! I had 6 (non-paleo) girlfriends over for a PSL party and served them your recipe…everyone loved it! I used coconut milk and 3 dates in mine while on the Whole30, so I can’t wait to try it as written. I also love how quick and easy this recipe is. I’ve tried 2 or 3 other paleo versions that were labor intensive, and ain’t nobody got time for that πŸ˜‰

Thanks, Megan! Any cookbook update??

21. Pingback: Paleo Pumpkin Roundup 2014 | Crunchy Hot Mama

22. Pingback: Grain-Free Coconut Flour Pumpkin Muffins | Glimpses of Beauty

23. Pingback: Healthier Pumpkin Spice Latte | Mom-Makes...

24. Alnessa Rhea

Hello Megan,

I hope you are having a wonderful day. I am assisting Chelsea Cohen of LifestyleDynamics.com and she wanted me to shoot you a quick email to let you know that she just loves your recipe and has shared it in her weekly recipe round-up here: http://lifestyledynamics.com/30-healthy-pumpkin-spice-recipes/

Feel free to share it with your audience on your social media sites as you like.

Have a great day!

Best,
    Alnessa Repollo

25. Anita

This is great! I actually doubled the pumpkin (because I lOVE it!) and instead of sweetener, I used a scoop of vanilla protein power. Yum!

26. Susan

Eating pumpkin out of the can is risky. Know of a botulism case from eating pumpkin out a can. It’s a no for me.

27. Carly

Another delicious recipe, thank you! The only substitutes I made was I added only 1/2 cup of milk and only 1 tbsp of maple syrup.