Peanut Butter & Jelly Smoothie (Jamba Juice copycat)

When Austin and I moved to Los Angeles, we were introduced to Jamba Juice for the first time… and their “secret menu.”

Peanut-butter-jelly-smoothie

This secret menu features all sorts of creative flavors, like White Gummy Bear, Sour Patch Kids, Fruity Pebbles, and many more, but our favorite was the Peanut Butter & Jelly. It may not sound that special, but this smoothie tastes SO much better than a plain, old peanut butter and jelly sandwich. It probably has something to do with the fact that our local Jamba Juice used frozen yogurt and raspberry sherbert in their version, making it more of a milkshake than what I’d consider a smoothie.

We had to cut ourselves off from these shakes years ago (they’re too addictive!), but I recently had a hankering for one I decided to try making a healthier version at home. The result is a delicious milkshake that is dairy-free, naturally sweetened with only fruit, and just as delicious as the store-bought drinks I remember. Who needs a sandwich when you can drink this instead?!

Peanut Butter & Jelly Smoothie (Vegan)
Serves 1

Inspired by Jamba Juice

3/4 cup water or almond milk
1 soft Medjool date, pitted
2 tablespoons natural peanut butter
1 frozen banana
1 cup frozen strawberries (about 8 whole strawberries)
5 ice cubes
Pinch of sea salt

Combine the water, or almond milk, in a blender with the date and peanut butter, and blend until the date is completely broken down. Add the frozen banana, strawberries, ice cubes, and a pinch of salt, and blend again until completely smooth. Serve immediately!
peanut-butter-jelly-shake

Peanut Butter & Jelly Smoothie (Jamba Juice copycat)
Serves: 1

A decadent-tasting milkshake that is naturally sweetened with only fruit, but has all of the flavor of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.
  • ¾ cup water or almond milk
  • 1 soft Medjool date, pitted
  • 2 tablespoons natural peanut butter
  • 1 frozen banana
  • 1 cup frozen strawberries (about 8 whole strawberries)
  • 5 ice cubes
  • Pinch of sea salt
  1. Combine the water, or almond milk, in a blender with the date and peanut butter, and blend until the date is completely broken down.
  2. Add the frozen banana, strawberries, ice cubes, and a pinch of salt, and blend again until completely smooth. Serve immediately!

Notes:

• You are welcome to use sunflower butter instead of peanut butter, if you prefer– the taste will obviously change, but I have a feeling it will still be delicious.
  • You can replace the date with 1/2 tablespoon of maple syrup for a similar sweetness.

Enjoy!

Reader Feedback: Have you ever ordered off a restaurant’s “secret menu?” In-N-Out’s secret menu is pretty popular out here, too!

27 thoughts on “Peanut Butter & Jelly Smoothie (Jamba Juice copycat)

1. Laura

Never been to jamba juice either but this looks fabulous. I can appreciate the dairy free aspect (dairy makes me cough!) and how it’s only naturally sweetened with fruit. And of course the peanut butter- oh how I love PB! We had a friend from the Ukraine who had never had peanut butter and who stayed with us in the US for awhile and now wants it shipped over. Loved it. Anyhow, secret menu, we’ll I recently discovered bacon lemonade, but um, that was yucky.

1. Ruth

Didn’t have all the ingredients this smoothie required but my copycat of your version had milk, frozen banana, frozen raspberries, peanut butter, and hemp seeds for added protein. Uber yummy! Thanks for the lunch time inspiration.

2. Emily @ Glitz Glam Gluten-Free

Ohh Jamba Juice, it’s so funny because back in the day we all thought we were being healthy ordering those smoothies (not thinking of the sherbet or fro-yo they contained)! I’m not a fan of bananas, but I do love adding peanut butter to my smoothies (delicious and great staying power!) and adding a date would be a nice boost of sweetness!

3. Abbi*tarian

This looks fun & tasty! I know I’ll enjoy it :0) – thanks! I’ve never been aware of a secret menu at a restaurant! But – maybe this is close – I’ve ordered things when they’ve been taken off one of my favorite restaurant’s seasonal menus, knowing they still technically have the ingredients & want to use them up but don’t want to advertise that fact as they can only make so many till they do so.

4. Sandra

I actually love this, especially now that I know my cells can actually assimilate the great nutrition I am giving it, since cleared all heavy metals from my brain and cells… It is as if years of bogged down energy sucking substances have left my body and I can think clear, have a ton of energy and sleep like a baby~ !!

5. Katie

This is so good. I have had it several days in a row now. It totally hits the spot, and has the perfect sweetness. I have been adding a tablespoon of jam to mine, just as alittle extra and it’s really tasty. Thanks for another awesome recipe.

6. Pingback: My Tips: Nutrition, Love Yourself Green, and a Detoxinista recipe | OUR INVISIBLE WORLD

7. Maureen

Wow, this was really tasty. Sunday is normally our breakfast cheat day (out at a cafe or pancakes and bacon, etc.). We had this instead and it definitely felt like a cheat. It also held us over until an early dinner. Thanks for posting.

8. J

I’m drinking this as we speak and it is YUMMY! I normally don’t like berries when I’m craving a thick shake but this hits the spot in the healthiest way!

9. Christi

Hey Megan,
    Thanks again for so many wonderful and inspiring posts! I noticed some others commenting about this and since you’re the expert of all things healthy, you may have some ideas we never thought of! I am allergic to bananas and didn’t realized others suffered from this until I noticed some other ladies commenting! Any suggestions as to a good substitute for them in smoothies, or have any smoothies recipes with no banana? It is a terrible allergy to have considering how delicious and nutritious bananas are!
    Thank you for all the inspiration!

10. Lindsay

Why is it that everything with PB&J that isn’t the regular PB&J utterly delicious? I cannot stand the regular one, but even plain ol’ grilled PB&J sandwich is delicious.

11. Jeanne Northcutt

OK, so we made this last night and it was very banana-tasting. Could it be that we used a overly large banana? Is medium-sized best? It doesn’t specify size in the recipe. The banana we used last night was definitely large and all I could taste was banana with some peanut butter.

12. Lori

I just made it now, adding a little all natural all fruit strawberry preserves for sweetness, and it is delicious. I used the date and all the rest of the ingredients, using unsweetened almond milk. Thanks for the recipe!