This Detox Smoothie is like drinking a liquid vitamin! The ingredients in this particular smoothie are carefully chosen to flood your body with nutrients, without using any specialty powders or expensive supplements. Instead, you just need a few fruits and vegetables that you may already have in your fridge!
What Makes This a “Detox” Smoothie?
As you may know, I don’t believe in drastic detox diets and cleanses. I think the only real way to detox your body is to consistently enjoy more whole foods and eat less processed ones that contain artificial coloring, flavors, and ingredients. This smoothie will help you do just that!
Detox Smoothie Ingredients
The ingredients in this smoothie are loaded with nutrients, and in turn, should help to support your body’s natural detox organs, including the kidneys, liver, and skin.
Here are some of the potential health benefits:
- Green Apple: This particular apple is lower in sugar than the red variety, and apples, in general, may help in weight loss by making you feel fuller longer. One study has shown that eating an apple a day may be almost as effective as taking a statin drug at reducing the risk for heart disease. The pectin that apples contain acts as a prebiotic and may promote the growth of good bacteria in your gut, too!
- Pineapple: Rich in antioxidants, this tropical fruit also contains bromelaine, a protein digesting enzyme. It helps break protein down into into amino acids, and as a result may boost digestion. This digestive enzyme may also help to boost immunity and lower inflammation in the body. (source)
- Banana: Bananas are a great source of potassium, and potassium-rich diets may help to lower blood pressure and reduce the risk of heart disease. According to Healthline, one 13-year study showed that women who eat bananas 2 to 3 times a week may have a 33% lower risk of developing kidney disease.
- Ginger: Ginger is considered to have anti-inflammatory effects in the body and may help to lower fasting blood sugar levels. (source) It has also been shown to speed up digestion, causing the stomach to empty faster.
- Spinach: This leafy green is neutral in flavor when you add it to a smoothie, and this study has shown that it may help to prevent oxidative damage in the body. Spinach also contains powerful plant compounds and antioxidants, like lutein and kaempferol, that are thought to promote eye health and decrease the risk of cancer.
- Cilantro: This fresh herb contains a compound called dodecanal that has been shown to have antibacterial effects against salmonella. It is also thought to combat against heavy metal toxicity, which is why it so commonly added to detox drinks and recipes. (source)
- Lime: Limes are loaded with antioxidants and are a great source of vitamin C, which may help to boost your immune system! Vitamin C has been shown to increase the production of white blood cells in test tube studies, which may help to protect against infections and disease.
With all of these ingredients, this smoothie is loaded with fiber that will help keep you feeling full and satisfied, without a lethargic or sluggish feeling that can come from eating something less nutritious. I find that when I start my day with a smoothie, I tend to eat better for the rest of the day, too. (And that’s the goal, right?)
Will This Smoothie Help You Lose Weight?
Since this detox smoothie is loaded with nutrient-dense, low-calorie foods, I think it’s a good choice if you’re trying to lose weight. The pectin found in apples and the fiber in all of these ingredients will help keep you full, and if you use it as a meal replacement you may end up eating fewer calories than you normally would, which may also contribute to weight loss.
More Vegan Smoothies You’ll Love
If you love this smoothie, I think you’ll love the following recipes, too.
- Kale Smoothie
- PB&J Smoothie
- Strawberry Banana Smoothie
- Sweet Potato Smoothie
- Chocolate Avocado Smoothie
I hope you’ll enjoy this recipe any time you feel like a nutrient boost. It makes a light breakfast or snack, and for food combining purposes, this falls into the fresh fruit category, so it will digest quickly.
How to make the Easy Detox Smoothie ( 1- Minute Video):
Easy Detox Smoothie (with NO weird ingredients!)
- 1/2 cup water (or orange juice)
- 1 green apple
- 1/2 cup frozen pineapple chunks
- 1/2 frozen banana
- 1/2 inch fresh ginger , peeled and minced
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- small handful fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Combine all of the ingredients in a blender, and blend until smooth. Pour into a glass and serve right away.
- If you don't have have a high-speed blender, I recommend blending the spinach, cilantro, and ginger with the water first, to help break them down completely. Then add in the fruit and lime juice, and blend again.
Detox Smoothie Nutrition (for the whole batch): Calories: 198, Fat: 1g, Carbohydrates: 51, Fiber: 8g, Protein: 2g
- Feel free to make any substitutions that you’d like to in this recipe. Parsley is a good alternative for the cilantro, and frozen mango works as a good swap for pineapple. If you don’t care for bananas in a smoothie, try using 1/4 of an avocado instead to add creaminess.
If you try this recipe, please let me know how you like it in the comments below! And if you try a substitution, I’d love to hear about it, too. We can all learn from your experience!
Reader Feedback: What’s your favorite smoothie combination?
Questions and Reviews
Made it exactly like the recipe, buy added a scoop of protein powder! It was so delicious! Will try with avocados next. Bananas don’t last in my house lol
Ohhhh! So yummy!!
I used coconut water. Didn’t have oj, and couldn’t fit the banana, blended… drank it and realized ooops! No banana…. ooooooh it was still yimmmy . I will make it again, try to remember the banana… but I liked it just fine. So fresh!!!
This looks so good! I can’t wait to try it!! Would it be okay to make a big batch of this in advance and freeze??
I’ve never tried that, so I’m not sure how it will thaw. I’d love to hear if you try it!
It was so good. THANK YOU! I didn’t measure stuff, I went a bit rogue. I doubled the ginger and put a fair bit extra cilantro in there too. I used avocado instead of banana, they have pretty cheap big bags of frozen avocado at costco right now that are perfect for smoothies. I think I am going to make this daily. I felt better the moment I swallowed my first gulp, it was wild!
Used coconut water instead of orange juice/water for extra hydration – this was delicious!!
Hello, what would you use instead of Apple?
We just started a detox/cleanse. This is so easy and loved it! Will try the substitutions next time!
Tried this a loved it! I swapped the cilantro for kale. But it is amazing. Thank you.
I love this smoothie!!!!!!
Is vitamin C number because you used orange juice or are these the nutritional values for the water based smoothie?
this is amazing!! txx i love it that you don’t use protein powders or any of that weird stuff 🙂
Thanks for the sub ideas at the end! I HATE cilantro lol and am allergic to pineapple so those alternatives sound awesome. Cant wait to try
I really loved this smoothie! At first I was really skeptical about it since I’m really picky with weird flavor drinks but I was amazed at how good it taste. I’m looking forward to try any other smoothie recipes you guys have 🙂
Isn’t 34 grams of sugar a lot?
How often can you drink this?
Every word of this smoothie food to me. Im trying to slowly change my diet and eating habits. .
I love this smoothie it’s so delicious the pineapple and ginger are such a nice compliment to the spinach and cilantro.
I was really worried about how to smoothie would taste because I wanted to incorporate it in my everyday diet and the taste is amazing. I am not a ginger fan so I will be using chaga for the anti-inflammatory properties.
Love how easy this was to make and I had all ingredients on hand. The ginger and cilantro are favorites of mine so this was a great healthy way to incorporate them into my day!!!!
I just came back to this recipe to print it out again since I gave my last copy to a friend, and I thought I’d leave a comment because I’m obsessed with this smoothie. I make smoothie bags to freeze ahead of time and then whenever I make the smoothie, I just add water or if I have any fruit or greens sitting around that need to be used up, I’ll throw those in too. Always delicious. My sister introduced this smoothie to me, and I have passed the favor forward to many others. Smoothie perfection!
Great tasting smoothie! I had to sub out the pineapple because I am allergic and have tried both mango and oranges (but used 1/3 cup mango because I try to limit my sugar daily intake). I also used a fresh banana instead of frozen. 🙂
Love it . I had my doubts but it taste delicious thank you! My husband and i will have it every morning!
this tastes AMAZING!!
I made this smoothie today and my family loves it even my six tear old! I mad enough for the week put them in milk bottles for eay access! Thanks so much for sharing! 😊
How often should you drink this a day and how many days to detox
Made exactly as written and I absolutely loved it. The flavours compliment each other, nothing overpowering. I actually did add water so it would be easier to drink through a straw. Sipped on this on my way to work in the car. Great way to start the day.
I love this recipe! I started drinking this smoothie 5 months (5 times a week) and I feel great. My energy is amazing, I have lost weight and my skin looks good.
This smoothie is delicious.
This is actually really really good, i was pleasantly surprised. I didnt have any Cilantro so i just left it out and used lemon instead of lime. It really is super bright green to, most smoothies dont look as colourful when you make them as the pictures show them to be.
I’m very excited to try a new recipe, love cilantro never try it on the smoothie. Thank you for sharing your healthy recipes.
Absolutely delicious and so refreshing! This is my first green smoothie and I will make it a regular part of my new health kick. I appreciate the lack of weird ingredients. I couldn’t find my mincer so I substituted for ground ginger as an earlier commenter recommended. I also used frozen mango pieces. Thank you so much for sharing.
My 17 year old son is a Nordic skier and looking for great tasting, healthy smoothies as snacks. He usually hates spinach but we both LOVED this smoothie. It’s going to be a permanent recipe in our rotation. Thank you!
Im just querying the high sugar count. 40g is the max daily intake for an adult and this has 34g. Im trying to lose weight and sugar makes you gain weight. Is there a better apple and pinapple substitute thats fruit? Or will it have to be berries.
Yes it’s a lot. I’m sure it’s good, but I can’t give this to my diabetic mom. I use more greens and less fruit for both of us.
I was a bit leary as I threw in the ingredients, but I am happy to say it is a tasty smoothie. Thanks!
What will be the effect of celery cold pressed juice instead of water?
It’s known that high temperature cooking destroys the nutritions in foods, then how is food cooked in Instapot / pressure cooker be nutritional & healthy?
I think celery juice would be fine in a smoothie, the flavor will just be noticeable in that case. And regarding the Instant Pot, I had those same concerns. While I was writing my Instant Pot cookbook I found that pressure cooking has been shown to preserve MORE nutrition than other forms of cooking, possibly because the temperature stays lower inside the pot (around 250ºF or less) or because shorter cooking times mean there’s less opportunity for nutrient loss.
First time making a detox smoothie w all fresh ingredients. I swapped out water though with 100% cranberry juice. I didn’t have a green apple so I swapped that out with a green pear. I had all the other ingredients for your recipe and it is SO GOOD!!
Can I replace my dinner for one of these smoothies? And would ir be okay to drink it 5 days a week?
Absolutely loved the smoothie! Very tasty!
This smoothie is great! Do you know if I can make a large batch for a few days and just keep it in the fridge for every morning?or will it lose its nutrients? I don’t have time to make ot every morning before work.
Loved this recipe, easy to pull together! Personally, I will add less cilantro or use parsley if u don’t like the flavor.
Silly question maybe but as I get up each day at 430am and don’t wish to wake the entire house could I make this the night before and keep in fridge?
Taste great!! Love all the flavors!! Even my 12 year old so loves it!! Definitely a keeper will be sharing!!
Surprisingly absolutely delicious!!!
Made it as per instructions (with half/half orange juice and water). So good! Can’t wait to try it with mango as sub.
This really was an amazing smoothie. I’ve never used green apple in smoothies but I will be now. This was perfect. I forgot to pick up ginger from the store but it was still good, and I’m sure it will be elevated even more with the ginger.
Delicious the way presented
This is the best green juice/smoothie I have ever had in my life! It’s better than going to a juice bar! I’ve had it every morning this past week and I have so much energy throughout the day! I’ve played around with mango and pineapple and lemon and lime depending on what I have. I’ll even throw in a cucumber and strain it. It’s so good and refreshing! I add some protein powder and collagen to stay full longer on a work day! I love it! Thank you so much!
This is surprisingly delicious. I like the ingredients and how easy it is to make.
Sipping this as I type and pleasantly surprised with the taste. I was skeptical with the Cilantro but it works. I had also winged my measurements to adjust to my liking. But I enjoyed this combination of ingredients. I plan on drinking this everyday this week. Thanks for the recipe
Has anyone added (flavorless) protein powder? How did it turn out?
Made this today. Only had lemon juice, pineapple, ginger, apple juice and added some turmeric
It was lovely!
Glad you enjoyed it, Alison!